It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

S. 3804 (COICA) is back

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I've just learned that S. 3804 (COICA) is being voted on in committee next Thursday (11/18).

For those unaware COICA: Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act is a bill that creates an internet blacklist of websites that must be blocked inside the United States all in the name of stopping online piracy. It also provides full immunity to the service providers doing the blocking.

Click here to read the bill.

Here's a list of your representatives. I urge you to write/call them and voice your opinion on this.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
One more step in making us all criminals. Easier to control that way,

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by NoArmsJames

If it was for online infringement issues alone I have no problem with that. The problem is all the goodies wrapped inside it.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Does this mean sites like megaupload would be blacklisted because non-affiliated people upload copywritten material? What about streaming media? Could they blacklist a site for discussing a football game without the NFL's written consent? lmao... People usually upload 1 copywritten file 20 or more places then it spreads. How can you just ban every site?
edit on 12-11-2010 by kronnikx because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by kronnikx
Does this mean sites like megaupload would be blacklisted because non-affiliated people upload copywritten material? What about streaming media? Could they blacklist a site for discussing a football game without the NFL's written consent? lmao... People usually upload 1 copywritten file 20 or more places then it spreads. How can you just ban every site?
edit on 12-11-2010 by kronnikx because: (no reason given)

The bill is just cover to control information. No one should seriously believe that this is to stop online piracy. Please spread the word about this.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rhadamanthus

If it was for online infringement issues alone I have no problem with that. The problem is all the goodies wrapped inside it.

I disagree. There are already practices in place to deal with piracy. This is censorship plain and simple.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Here is the list of supporters and the weak apposition.

Support
Motion Picture Association of America
US Chamber of Commerce
Screen Actors Guild
Viacom
International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees, Moving Picture Technicians, Artists and Allied Crafts of the United States

Appose
Center for Democracy & Technology
Electronic Frontier Foundation
Distributed Computing Industry Association

Looks like the opposition may not have a chance here. Need to rally more support for them.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   

How is fighting copyright infringement censorship?

I agree think that the bill is a complete waste but like I said before in the text you quoted that I posted I see nothing wrong with it. What is wrong with making people pay for software, music, movies etc? If the bill was solely for copyright infringement then I don't have a problem with it at all. In my previous post I stated that the problem with that bill is all the other "goodies" wrapped up in it.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoArmsJames
I've just learned that S. 3804 (COICA) is being voted on in committee next Thursday (11/18).

For those unaware COICA: Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act is a bill that creates an internet blacklist of websites that must be blocked inside the United States all in the name of stopping online piracy. It also provides full immunity to the service providers doing the blocking.

Click here to read the bill.

Here's a list of your representatives. I urge you to write/call them and voice your opinion on this.

Roger that. Do we have a list of all those on that committee? I figure we could target our emails more directly that way. What committee is it anyway?

If those bums get to control what we can see on the internet, like China does its subjects (I can't call them citizens) then they are halfway to total control over us.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by mydarkpassenger

Sponsor: Sen. Patrick Leahy [D-VT]

Co Sponsors: Lamar Alexander [R-TN]
Evan Bayh [D-IN]
Benjamin Cardin [D-MD]
Thomas Coburn [R-OK]
Richard Durbin [D-IL]
Dianne Feinstein [D-CA]
Kirsten Gillibrand [D-NY]
Lindsey Graham [R-SC]
Charles Grassley [R-IA]
Orrin Hatch [R-UT]
Amy Klobuchar [D-MN]
Herbert Kohl [D-WI]
Charles Schumer [D-NY]
Arlen Specter [D-PA]
George Voinovich [R-OH]
Sheldon Whitehouse [D-RI]

If you look at the overview on the link you will see the sponsor and the link to co sponsers but i listed them anyways.

Edit : Here is the list for the Senate Committee on the Judiciary
Link
edit on 12-11-2010 by Rhadamanthus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
lol loophole:
Label your "TV-Links" to the effect that "the Internet site states that it is not intended, and has measures to prevent, infringing material from being accessed in or delivered to the United States"

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   

How is fighting copyright infringement censorship?

I agree think that the bill is a complete waste but like I said before in the text you quoted that I posted I see nothing wrong with it. What is wrong with making people pay for software, music, movies etc? If the bill was solely for copyright infringement then I don't have a problem with it at all. In my previous post I stated that the problem with that bill is all the other "goodies" wrapped up in it.

It is not the government's place to limit our access to sites. This is a first amendment issue. If we do something illegal while accessing those sites, then the FBI can step in.

But to shut selected sites off completely from our ability to access them? Based on the government's motivations? Without my say-so? That AIN'T what I joined up for and served for!

I will never trust the government enough to be sanguine with THAT!

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Sponsor: Sen. Patrick Leahy [D-VT]

Co Sponsors: Lamar Alexander [R-TN]
Evan Bayh [D-IN]
Benjamin Cardin [D-MD]
Thomas Coburn [R-OK]
Richard Durbin [D-IL]
Dianne Feinstein [D-CA]
Kirsten Gillibrand [D-NY]
Lindsey Graham [R-SC]
Charles Grassley [R-IA]
Orrin Hatch [R-UT]
Amy Klobuchar [D-MN]
Herbert Kohl [D-WI]
Charles Schumer [D-NY]
Arlen Specter [D-PA]
George Voinovich [R-OH]
Sheldon Whitehouse [D-RI]

If you look at the overview on the link you will see the sponsor and the link to co sponsers but i listed them anyways.

Edit : Here is the list for the Senate Committee on the Judiciary
Link
edit on 12-11-2010 by Rhadamanthus because: (no reason given)

Thanks Rada!

I was in the trenches when Clinton's bunch wanted to keep strong encryption out of US Citizen's hands.

Funny, no matter who we elect, the b@stards always want to take more of our choices away. Clinton, Bush, Obama - NO difference!

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Rhadamanthus

Because giving the government the power to blacklist sites from being viewed by anyone is censorship. There are steps copyright owners can take to get their material taken down. Blacklists have no place in a free society.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   

You know they do step in and then they are put to the fire. I forgot where it was but some woman in Minnesota or something got busted downloading a bunch of music and they threw the book at here to make an example of her. Then everybody was so distraught over the dastardly government actually enforcing the laws.

Leave it on the internet, who cares! People should not complain either when the feds knock down your door at 3am either to arrest you for downloading pirated software and charge you 500k a pop or whatever it is.

Look at piratebay for example. Their is not one little bit of legality on that site but since it is on the internet it should be ok? That site is designed for one thing and one thing only- pirate software!

I understand where you are coming from and I feel the same way you do to some extinct. Something needs to be done regardless. I don't know how you stop stuff like this unless you simply block it, which in all reality is totally impossible beyond belief.

How do you propose to stop stuff like this from happening? Like I said before, round everybody and arrest them, fine them etc? That is all well and good for me but then again people will freak out cause big brother is watching everything you do (they do anyways lol).

The only thing that will probably have a chance to stop it is the use of an X-Term type of service. Look at what google is doing with their new OS, Micro$oft has the same plans. Nobody has any software! All the apps are stored on a mainframe in which you connect to. Kind of like a remote desktop. To me this is absolutely terrifying. Privacy controls are out of whack as it is. Would you give up your current right to own software to use something such as an X-term type of app to do everything on?

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoArmsJames

I disagree. There are already practices in place to deal with piracy. This is censorship plain and simple.

110% dead on the money.

This is an attempt to control what we can access. Not just songs and movies, I can tell you true that it will extend to sites like ATS, and other under the radar news sites. If they have their way, we will see and hear NOTHING that is not "approved", unless you know how to use proxies and other dodges to get the facts.

The founding fathers thought freedom of speech, freedom of information flow was SO very important that they made it the First consideration of the Bill of Rights.

And if anything, it has become more important as time and tech have progressed.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Just so you know I am being the devils advocate here.

I know what you are saying but at the same time don't the people that make the software, movies etc have a right to make money?

In all practicality their is probably no real solution to this. Both sides have rights and one sides rights will be violated.
Hopefully like the vast majority of things that go on to commitee this will die.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
LEarn how to use TOR before it is too late, just in case lol. People in china for example use it to access stuff that is censored there. There are certain packages that make it easier to use, and come with browsers and client already configured.

On a side note, if this rubbish is passed, and people don't take to the streets, then it will tell you the vast majority of americans are idiots, and will probably get on the trains willingly. As long as their was a TV on board :p
edit on Fri, 12 Nov 2010 16:26:46 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Just so you know I am being the devils advocate here.

I know what you are saying but at the same time don't the people that make the software, movies etc have a right to make money?

In all practicality their is probably no real solution to this. Both sides have rights and one sides rights will be violated.
Hopefully like the vast majority of things that go on to commitee this will die.

I do understand that Rhad; people who work hard at producing quality products deserve to profit from their labors. As someone who has in the past spent 27 hours solid coding, believe me my friend - I understand.

But this bill, just opens up such a huge infraction into first amendment rights - such a huge potential for abuse by those idiots people elect.

All my internal alarm bells are going off at this possibility. If I had to choose, I would side with freedom vs profit.

The govt has NO place regulating where we can "surf" the internet. That is for regime's like China, not Americans. I am a citizen, not a subject, and I will remain that way until I die.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join