It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who is your favorite comic villain?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skid Mark
I used to collect Spawn comic books. I like Violator. Here he is in all his clown like glory. That guy was wicked.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
I was curious who is your favorite villain in the comic book universe. Mine is a generic and conformist answer. The Joker Who can't fall for a maniac clown look a like super villain? I like the Dark Knight version of the Joker the best. Read this snippet.

Like all versions of Joker, this is depicted as insane. However, despite his insanity he often displays a calm persona. He never displays any true signs of anger. He's also very intelligent and a good planner, being able to outsmart the police on every time they try to stop him. He also shows that he can figure how people think, as well as how to manipulate their minds, shown with how he drives Harvey Dent insane. Many of his plans often forces people to make extreme choices and force them to chose between themselves and others (as seen with his proposal to Batman at the beginning of the movie, his public ultimatum to kill Reese, and his ferry scheme).

edit on 6-11-2010 by Romantic_Rebel because: Thank you Brad-H! You are now my favorite "Villain"

Also a huge Joker fan. And I agree with the Dark Knight Joker being a great depiction of the character. The one semi-loopy aspect of this depiction is that he is much more relentless in getting Batman to reveal his secret identity, whereas in the Arkham Asylum comic series, I think it shows a much better portrayal of how he views that situation: for instance, Two-Face says; "let's take off his mask so we can see his face!" where Joker replies; "That IS his face! I have a better idea..."

What makes Joker so perfectly characterized is that he actually has no concerns about knowing who Batman is outside of being Batman, because to him, what makes the game so fun is that he is actually right; that Batman is just as much of a freak as him, and that is who he WANTS him to be, because Batman is out to prove that he is NOT like Joker, although the longer he fights him, the closer he becomes to proving himself wrong.

Another great villain is Carnage from Spiderman. I love the back stories of Cletus Cassidy, it effectively dives into the mind of a psychopath and is a chilling illustration of real life problems that face American life every day. Carnage is also a great example of the kind of consequences that can occur when a psychopath gets too much power (in my opinion a social commentary about politicians in a very subtle way).

It is always interesting how psychopaths make the most appealling supervillains, they are after all very charismatic people, right? I guess it translates to fiction as well.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
In no particular order:

Galactus
R'as al Ghul
Lucifer (from Sandman)
Magneto
Joker
Mr. Zsasz

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   
My favourite villains would be -

Skeletor and Hordak.

Im a big fan of He-Man Comics

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I'm with you and, again, going to be very, very boring and stick with Mr J. All of the incarnations of the Joker. What's not to like? But I particularly like Heath's DK version (even though it's not technically comic) and the Arkham Asylum: A Serious House On Serious Earth version.

To be honest though, I like most of Batman's villains. There's a lot of psychology involved in the stories and it's a lot darker than Superman or Spiderman's worlds. Arkham is a great novel and a fair few of the main ones are mentioned in there and it's kinda different so I've always found that probably my favourite graphic novel.

Gotta say I like Scarecrow too though. He's cool. He's a close second.

Oh, and while reading through I saw Loki. I like Loki too. He's my Marvel favourite.

edit on 4/9/2012 by Ayana because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Being a youngling from the 80's and 90's my vote would have to go to Bane. The Batman being my favorite hero, I had to pick from his rogue gallery. His plan to take down the Bat from the Knightfall story arc was epic in my opinion.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I haven't read that many comics, but the two villains that truly stand out for me is Genocide from Wonder Woman and Typhoid Mary whom I know from Spider-Man, but I suppose made her appearance in Daredevil, which I've never read. These are the only two villains that truly terrified me.

Genocide is terrifying because she is virtually indestructible. Also, she is much more powerful than Wonder Woman or even Superman, at least that's what it says in the Wonder Woman Wiki. Not to mention she has accelerated healing, so no matter how much you hurt her, she'll just heal right away. Basically her body was created from the dead body of Wonder Woman stolen from the Future, so Genocide is able to steal Wonder Woman's Lasso of Truth and use it against her (nobody else is supposed to be able to wield the Lasso). She was also able to defeat pretty much all of the Justice League without even batting an eyelash. So all in all, she is terrifying. She's basically able to bring down the destruction of the entire world, with no way of being stopped. It's like knowing Armageddon is coming but there is nothing you can do to stop it.

Typhoid Mary on the other hand isn't as nearly as indestructible, but it's her abilities that frighten me. She is able to levitate objects with her mind, kind of like Magneto, but she is basically insane. So it goes without saying that I was frightened beyond all hell when I saw her levitate a bunch of knives and saw blades and shoot them at Spider-Man. And since she is psychotic, she shows absolutely no remorse for doing so. She also is extremely agile and has lightening fast reflexes, so if you shot bullets at her, she would be able to stop them and send them flying back. She could also use her kinetic energy to form a suit of armor around her body, so for all intents and purposes she can create a body of armor making her indestructible besides perhaps a bomb maybe? But that's not exactly something Spider-Man would resort himself to use. He doesn't want to kill his enemies, just subdue them, which is pretty much impossible against Typhoid Mary. She also has split personality disorder, which makes her seem even more crazy and terrifying.
edit on 10/28/2012 by Xaberz because: to add pictures

edit on 10/28/2012 by Xaberz because: fixed photos

edit on 10/28/2012 by Xaberz because: moved a sentence to another paragraph because I'm OCD like that.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Dr. Doom hands down. Who wouldn't want their own country? Master the mystic arts and oh yeah, have a TIME MACHINE!

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel
Galactus: Devours worlds like a junkie craving a fix. Mentioned a few times before on this thread.

Kalibak the Cruel: Boom tube allows him to appear anywhere. Powerful cudgel.

The Watcher: To witness evil and just stand idly by...

The Kool Aid Guy: Ooohh Yeeaahh! Driving up homeowners insurance rates everywhere. Ever hear of a door?

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Prepare the backpacks of bricks, but my villain is...

LOKI from The Almighty Thor/Thor/Avengers

Because no villain looked better in a pair of gold booty shorts and a helmet with 5ft horns.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by starheart

Hey another Loki fan!

Loki in the comics is much more of a vain d-bag than how Tom Hiddleston presents him, he makes his hatred against Thor known...and he's actually Thor's step-brother, not adopted.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheToastmanCometh

Hey another Loki fan!

Loki in the comics is much more of a vain d-bag than how Tom Hiddleston presents him, he makes his hatred against Thor known...and he's actually Thor's step-brother, not adopted.

Yeah, but i like a villain that have actually a reason to be a villain, and Tom's Loki seem to better fit that description. In fact, Tom's Loki fit the scandinavian mythological description of Loki, which was that he would always switch from good to bad, then bad to good, etc. It gives a sense of non-previsible to the character, which i like.
P.S: you should check out the new released story of what would be the 2d Thor: ATTENTION!!! SPOILERS!!!

movies.cosmicbooknews.com...

It should be fun to finally see some aspects more unknown to Loki, not just trowing knives and smash or brain-wash with his staff.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   

I am so psyched for that movie.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by TheToastmanCometh

I'm a loki lover too. Chaos and trollin, it's what he does.

Poor dude

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Yeah, i know! I can't wait November! It seems so cool and fun!
P.S": I hope i didn't gave too much spoilers away...

reply to post by antonia

He's great, isn't he? At least, he's got a reason to be chaotic and trolling, he don't do that for absolute fun. I remember crying at the end of Thor when he "died", and wondering why they killed him so fast, i mean give him another chance; and then i saw the deleted end credits scene and i was "Yes! He's back!". Okay... he was a little bit mean after that...

edit on 8-12-2012 by starheart because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Well it might not be the actual plot as Marvel will throw fake stuff out there to get people off their scent. I don't know how much longer it's going to last for them. I mean they are making Ant-man and Guardians of the Galaxy, that crap has a freaking talking raccoon. Then again, I thought Thor was going to awful, I won't lie about that. I read those comics growing up and well, while i loved it I could just never see it in film because it was just so ridiculous at times. Everyone involved did a great job with it however, though I feel Hiddleston really stole the show. Hemsworth certianly wasn't bad as Thor, but I still didn't see him as very human. Now, Hiddleston made Loki human and he took it to a a whole new level in Avengers. I'll be interested to see what he does for Thor 2.

Here's another funny for you Chinese Bootleg Avengers

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Yes, exactly! My brother and i too wondered how Thor was going to come out. We never saw any comic-books, and the only Marvel movies we ADORED was the Iron Mans (RDJ is so great as Tony Stark, couldn't imagine someone else), and then we heard of Thor. Now we were very familiar with the scandinavian mythology, so we were excited to see what the movie adaptation was going to be; then i read that Marvel already based a Marvel version of scandinavian mythology, so we were kind of anxious (after all, in the true mythology, Loki is nowhere near the brother of Thor, he actually existed when Odin was young, for they travelled together; Thor and Odin are Frost-Giants descendants, hence why Thor is a giant and that Loki had to sit on his belt to travel with him, etc.).
But it turned out really not so bad, and not far-fetched as i was afraid. What i love about Marvel, is that Thor, Iron Man, Captain America, and now The Avengers, is that you actually believe that it could be true; its not far-fetched and fantastic to the point of absurd, its really well grounded.

And yes, Hiddleston really stealed the show. Loki only appeared 1/3 of the time, and 2/3 of this 1/3 he was mean, but i liked him better than Thor. I mean, no offense meant, but Thor is quite the usual hero: he's arrogant, then repent himself, then saves the world with his life. But Loki was unexpected: he started as the wise brother, trying to stop Thor from doing something stupid, but then he discovers that he is different, and that his life wasn't what he thought was; he is mad, jealous, angry, for he thinks that he is the reason why Odin liked Thor more than him, and it is so that he decides to do everything he can to prove himself worthy. Which is quite what could happen in real life; what if you're left aside all your life and then you discovers that you're part of the enemy?
I really hope they do something beautiful in Thor 2, that they make Loki like in the mythology: bad then good, etc.

I loved the jokes!

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

I'm surprised in Thor, when Odin showed up on Slepnir, that they didn't give a nod to Loki being his mama.

Horse jokes run rampant on Tomblr/Tumblr because of the legend and his appearance.

That would be a joke I would love to see...If not in Thor 2, maybe Avengers if Loki returns
edit on 8-12-2012 by TheToastmanCometh because: stuff.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

That's just not going to happen. I've made tons of those jokes too, but yea the whole thing would just turn most viewers off

edit on 8-12-2012 by antonia because: opps

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Aww...

It was mentioned in Thor and Loki: Blood Brothers.

Ah well...can't get what we want
*cough* Mickey Rourke *cough*

Though I wouldn't want to be on Tomblr when SHTF and they see Loki with his lips sewn shut, like some people have been alluding to. I highly advise to stay out of that site indefinitely...Hiddlestoners are f---ing cray.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join