It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poppy Day.. Why Wouldnt you Wear One? Nov 11th

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
You may not agree with the war but what is wrong with honouring the men and women who are breaking their own bodies for you? So you dont have too.. They are not political.. They are there for you always.. As a former soldier myself I can say without reservation that we would die to protect you and am not stupid in regards to government policies.. We would never fire on our own.. You are our wives, daughters, moms, sisters,brothers, uncles, aunts.. We dont fight for no government.. We fight for you and each other.. Just as it has always been.. Our ancesters did the same.. Your freedom was not free. It was bought and paid for by the blood of those before us.. Honour them..

They gave their life to give you your today.. Be proud of them.. Wear your bloody poppy!... They deserve it and you owe them that at least..

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Poppy?
Please elaborate.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahmose

In Flanders Fields the poppies blow,
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky,
The larks, still bravely singing, fly,
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the dead.
Short days ago,
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved and now we lie,
In Flanders Fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe
To you, from failing hands, we throw,
The torch, be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us, who die,
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow,
In Flanders Fields.

www.vfw.org...

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahmose

In the UK on November 11th we remember our veterans.. Armistace day.. The 11th hour, of the 11th day, of the 11th month. It marks the end of the first world war. Poppies are worn because they grew where the soldiers were killed.. All of them from all nationalities. So the poppy and this day has come to signify the rememberance of all of the fallen in every war since.. However ther are those who would rather disrespect the fallen by publicly not wearing a poppy or observing the two minuets silence for them on 11th hour of the 11th day..

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yissachar1
reply to post by Ahmose

In the UK on November 11th we remember our veterans.. Armistace day.. The 11th hour, of the 11th day, of the 11th month. It marks the end of the first world war. Poppies are worn because they grew where the soldiers were killed.. All of them from all nationalities. So the poppy and this day has come to signify the rememberance of all of the fallen in every war since.. However ther are those who would rather disrespect the fallen by publicly not wearing a poppy or observing the two minuets silence for them on 11th hour of the 11th day..

Canada also. Even if at home on that day, I always remember to have a few moments and think of the soldiers. I actually have lots of poppies (not the opium one) in my garden, they are beautiful.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Yissachar1

Personally, would you rather force people to wear a poppy who do not appreciate it?

I usually attend at least 3 remembrance services in a year.. their is usually a remembrance service within the bonfire celebrations, very nice, middle of the night, lone piper, burning crosses and a very moving ceremony
the other my home town holds in honour of the fallen during the Dieppe raid, and the usual remembrance day ceremonies.

but tho I don't usually wear a poppy it does not mean I don't respect the soldiers of the past and or of the present,

Edit to add short Vid from Firles Bonfire Celebrations.. it's is not major, it small, personal and meaningful.

and a photo link of the Dieppe Raid Memorial March and Remembrance Service 2010
edit on 4/11/10 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I buy a poppy every year at this time BUT I wear a poppy pin like this 365 days a year. That said I'm from a military family.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Seems the poppy...the same poppy used in the manufacture of heroin and many other useful pain reducing medications, has been fought over for a very long time. It is my belief that drug companies and cartels are the ones that have most at stake here. Why involve or associate the military with this if they werent protecting their interests. Sorry... In 1915, inspired by the poem "In Flanders Fields," Moina Michael replied with her own poem:

We cherish too, the Poppy red
That grows on fields where valor led,
It seems to signal to the skies
That blood of heroes never dies.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
No thanks, they fought for our right to choose, did they not?

I will not wear one, and op should accept those things.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
No thanks, they fought for our right to choose, did they not?

I will not wear one, and op should accept those things.

Your lack of appreciation of their sacrifice is duly noted and not taken against you.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

I wear two.. For two of my brothers..

Im glad you mark the day and at least give them thought

But the money raised from them goes to help fix those who broke themselves for you, and their families.. The government who sent them to fight washes their hands of them once their usefulness has been used up.. I know from personal experience.. Its a national disgrace..

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I always buy them ( each year) and wear them. Nobody in my family is a veteran.I am middle aged.I know the war only from movies.
Yes,they fought for our right to choose,and i choose to honour their sacrifice and never forget what they did for all of us. They will dissapear soon,all of them, and people who elect not to know or care what this symbol represent will make the same mistake and start another war.

I have the utmost respect for the veterans.They went through hell for us.The least we can do is remember them.
edit on 4-11-2010 by Bursuc because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Canada has a very special place in the Armastice day observance... We will never forget

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Many only think of the military as a combat machine. It is but there are sacrifices that go beyond that. Dad was in the Navy and wasn't home when I was young, not until I was 16. I harbored resentment towards him for that into my 30's. The loss of a close relationship with my father was not only a sacrifice he made but one MY FAMILY made too.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Just wanted to put up a face and name of someone that sacrificed all.

www.arlingtoncemetery.net...

"Corporal Jimmy L. Shelton, 21, of Lehigh Acres, Florida, died in Bayji, Iraq on December 3, 2005, when his forward operating base was attacked by enemy forces using mortars

"He was a good kid," Vance said. "No matter what you asked, he turned it into a joke. But, as he grew up, he turned into a good young man. He was still funny, but he understood what he was doing. He was a man and he loved his country."

After dealing with the horrible reality of losing their loved one, the family of 21 year-old Jimmy Shelton faced another blow. The hearse carrying Shelton's body was hit head on, while on its way to the memorial service

His parents even think their son had something to do with it.

"Never like being late for your own funeral. Jimmy's...jokes, and the way he jokes, he pulled it off," says Burgess Shelton.

edit on 4-11-2010 by rakkasansct because: info

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Personally I always buy a poppy and wear it for a few days. However, I believe people have the right not to wear it, thats what defeating fascism was about. I like the idea of the white poppy too. a poppy for peace, but still respectful. www.whitepoppy.org.uk... Remembering ALL those who are killed in wars not just the soldiers.
edit on 4-11-2010 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-11-2010 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Your right it is a national disgrace, just because I chose not to wear a poppy does not mean I do not contribute

Tho I have not served, I have worked alongside you guys in some interesting places during my time with the MoD, and I have always appreciate the protection** you guys in the services have always given me personally and my family generally

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Many only think of the military as a combat machine. It is but there are sacrifices that go beyond that. Dad was in the Navy and wasn't home when I was young, not until I was 16. I harbored resentment towards him for that into my 30's. The loss of a close relationship with my father was not only a sacrifice he made but one MY FAMILY made too.

My own kids have suffered for the same reason. My eldest even needed counseling.. People often forget the families of forces personel.. They are the ones who are left to pick up the pieces and bare the emotional burdens. Thats why people should buy poppies. The money goes to help fix whats broken..

When I left the army the first time they helped me find and furnish a house as the government i fought for and served did not give a crap about my family.. Disgusting.. Yet will fall over backwards for those who wish us ill

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Ok, Thank you for elaborating, my friends,
I appreciate it.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahmose

They do sell them here, bud. The VFW should be selling them. I'm not sure about the American Legion.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join