It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poppy Day.. Why Wouldnt you Wear One? Nov 11th

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   
I have no trouble remembering the sacrifices made by 18 and 19 year old Marines just like I was at the time.... It is amazing to me that there have been times when out of the blue while having drinks in a bar some where someone would blurt out are ask normally "you are a Vietnam Veteran, aren't you". When I answer, yes, how did you know, they will say that they could tell by the way I cupped my cigarette, that I just have the look in my eyes... The guys that saw a lot of bad stuff don't have to wear Tshirts, caps or black leather vest festooned with patches claiming they are combat vets...... I think that there are far more people claiming to be veterans nowadays than there are veterans my age so many of us have died off young...... One thing I am very sure of is that the Republican politicians that never miss an opportunity to stand in front of a flag with a camera pointed at them never miss an opportunity to vote against programs or legislation that will help the same veterans that they speak so respectfully of or to at public events.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   
I would proudly wear a poppy if it was to symbolise ww2 only. All other wars I am afraid people was idiots to obey their "leaders" and goto war in the 1st place.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I don't wear anything symbolic of any war because everybody that allowed themselves to be used as and use other human beings as targets viewing them as lesser beings is wrong..... The guys my age were influenced by all of the movies and respect shown toward WWII vets and believed that our country would never fight an unjust war.... I am old now and I have been aware for a long time that warfare is just a way for the ultra rich industrialist and other crooks to get more control of the wealth of the world, even the WWI and WWII combatants.... Kids just don't know better....

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Yissachar1

I certainly honour those brave people, some of whom in my family were decorated, and I will always wear a poppy in their honour, that is for sure.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Sorry no, these brave men and women did nothing for me.

They were suckered into creating wealth for the rothschilds. End of story.

They were brave, yes. They endured much, yes. If there is anything to be learned from poppy day, it's don't be stupid enough to agree to be part of their wars, you'll have plenty chance for bravery and adverse circumstance if you do.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Brave warriors,
should fate find us in battle,
May our cause be just.
May our leaders have clear vision
May our courage not falter
May we be triumphant and earn victory, as we show mercy to our enemies.
May our efforts bring lasting peace.
May our sacrifice be always appeciated by those we serve.
May we return to our loved ones unharmed.
Should we be harmed, may our wounds heal.
Should we perish in the struggle, may God embrace us and find for us a place in His Kingdom.

Not my words, but relevant I think.
These words go out to those that served before me, with me, and those that serve after me.
For those that will never return, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.

edit on 5/11/2010 by TheLoneArcher because: Same as ever

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Poppies: Featuring in a war near you!

The Golden Crescent: More than a coincidence! Or maybe it's just me connecting opium-induced dots again.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   

No, I would not. Primarily because I do not know what the hell a poppy is.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   
I am glad alot here too would not wear one.

The people who died in ww2 did not die, so that english councils, english police or english gov can torture people in there homes. English councils and gov perve into peoples homes, and use weapons on people, and what about organised gang stalking organised by these people.

The peopel died in ww2 for nothing, and the english and americans are just degrading there lifes even further by pretending that they died for freedoms, when the people in power want peopel to have no freedoms.

It just makes me sick, that people in english councils, police and gov on that day will wear a poppy and absolutely diminish what those people died for, as the people who are wearing them, are totally against what they died for.

People running uk and usa want peopel tortured in there homes, want police torturing people with tasers.

That is not what those peopel died for.

I have never been in no military and never will know what you people give up, or sacrifice, but one thing is for sure, the people wearing poppy's who go around torturing and killing innocent people and perving into peopels homes should not be wearing them period, as they are a disgrace to the names of the peopel who died.

Those people died for no reason.

CX

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cataka

No, I would not. Primarily because I do not know what the hell a poppy is.

Hi Cataka,

A poppy is a flower, a beautiful flower in fact if you are into all that. There are many kinds and colours but for Remembrance Day most people wear the red poppy, like in my avatar.

Reason for this? Flanders in Belgium sustained some of the heaviest bombing in WW1, the area was devestated beyond belief. If you ever see photos from that period, some resemble almost apocolyptic scenes.

Anyway, poppies grow in ground that has been disturbed, and the bombing of Flanders was that bad, that the area grew seas of red poppies. There are numerous theories surrounding their significance, but basicaly they grow every year around where many people died in the war.

The flowers are described as being very resiliant, and once the buried seeds are disturbed in the ground, they flourish like few other plants could in that kind of destruction.

So that is why we wear a poppy. To remember. Maybe out of respect. Maybe to say thank you.

All i know is that if the people i wear a poppy for hadn't fought back then, my life would be very different now. So would most peoples here.

CX,

edit on 5/11/10 by CX because: resize pic

CX

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
I am glad alot here too would not wear one.

The people who died in ww2 did not die, so that english councils, english police or english gov can torture people in there homes.

Andy. There are many opinions on what these veterans died for, but one thing i know is this. If they hadn't fought to protect our country, your life would be a lot more dire than you claim it has been so far.

Also, i appreciate that you like to insert your dubious claims of being tortured, microwaved, spied upon and perved at in every other thread on the boards, i just thought that you may have had a little respect for this one.

I appreciate we all have different opinions on subjects, but some people just know when is, and when is not the right time.

CX.
edit on 5/11/10 by CX because: spelling

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by harryhaller
Sorry no, these brave men and women did nothing for me.

They were suckered into creating wealth for the rothschilds. End of story.

They were brave, yes. They endured much, yes. If there is anything to be learned from poppy day, it's don't be stupid enough to agree to be part of their wars, you'll have plenty chance for bravery and adverse circumstance if you do.

Most of the soldiers killed in history were drafted, thus had no choice.. Think about that...

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Each Rememberance Day finds me at a war memorial, in my blazer, regimental badge tie, beret and medals. Not to show off, not to say "look at me" but to pay my respects for those, like me, stood in the mud and the blood. The only difference between those and myself, is that they did not return.

Even if you are anti war, and I am, war is nothing but death and destruction, please spare a moment for those that died. I am not talking about British Tommies or Germans or French, I mean all people, that died during conflicts. These people did not want to go to war. They did not want their guts spread over a muddy field or be left screaming in pain in the dark. They wanted to be at home with the loved ones. But, they did their duty, not for Queen and country, not for freedom, but for the man standing next to them.

One thing civilians will never understand is the brotherhood, the bond that forms between men in times of war. These men, yes and women, stood shoulder to shoulder, fought and died together. If you cannot remember them for the wars they fought in, remember them for the future they lost.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoneArcher
Each Rememberance Day finds me at a war memorial, in my blazer, regimental badge tie, beret and medals. Not to show off, not to say "look at me" but to pay my respects for those, like me, stood in the mud and the blood. The only difference between those and myself, is that they did not return.

Even if you are anti war, and I am, war is nothing but death and destruction, please spare a moment for those that died. I am not talking about British Tommies or Germans or French, I mean all people, that died during conflicts. These people did not want to go to war. They did not want their guts spread over a muddy field or be left screaming in pain in the dark. They wanted to be at home with the loved ones. But, they did their duty, not for Queen and country, not for freedom, but for the man standing next to them.

One thing civilians will never understand is the brotherhood, the bond that forms between men in times of war. These men, yes and women, stood shoulder to shoulder, fought and died together. If you cannot remember them for the wars they fought in, remember them for the future they lost.

Amen brother

You said it better than I could.

What really grips my ass are those who cant see that reality.. Its not their fault I suppose, after all it takes a soldier to understand it.. But those folks who are still alive and can remember the mind numbing fear of combat, even those old Chelsea pensioners in their wheelchairs, wouldnt think twice if the country called for duty, even after all of the blood, gore, and pain, would still throw themselves at any enemy who threatened the lives and liberty of the people.. Honour them..

You dont have to love them, just honour them.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   

I have. You are entirely correct. I'm sorry.

War is an ugly thing

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by harryhaller

You are right.. Ugly does not begin to describe it. But sometimes its necessary.. I am in a quandary about the current one.. I find it very hard to believe that a few goatherders could take control of a few aircraft with pen knives knowing the calibre of Americans who would laugh at at titchy knife whilst their feet was on their necks!

That isa small part of it..

However those guys out there now would still die for you in a heart beat. And the fact they are thousands of miles away from home in a hot zone where they HAVE to fight or die should ring alarm bells with you.

Tommy is NOT stupid.. The ptb sent the countries protecters so far away because they threaten their plans

Bring them home.. Their enemy is those of their own house.. They know this..

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

No it would not, i live a life that would make the stazi proud of the haressment and lack of privacy, done by the uk gov police and council. They did everything under the sun to make me do something, so i end up in a hospital or prison. What uk has done to me, would make the stazi proud. I just wonder how many people they have done this too? That is not what those people fought for.

Those people died for nothing, but to give freedom to murderers that work for police, councils and gov and busy bodies the right to plan there campaigns of crimes against anyone they like. The world today is not that far from what the nazis would of done. You would of had tv to control most of you while laods of prisons for the rest which is a booming business. I just wonder how many that fought that war would think that uk gov would blow up there own pubs so they can blame irish peopel 200 miles away, so those people could rot in jail.

Those people died in vain, but although i would just say they where conned.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   

No my friend. No wars are necessary. There is enough of everything, certainly material, especially love. Sometimes we miss it, and get angry, but there's always more love.

You have an awesome evening

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by harryhaller

No my friend. No wars are necessary. There is enough of everything, certainly material, especially love. Sometimes we miss it, and get angry, but there's always more love.

You have an awesome evening

You too mate

God bless you.

edit on 5-11-2010 by Yissachar1 because: because of way to girly lyrics

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I wear a poppy with pride

The day I am told to wear a poppy I will refuse to wear a poppy - and be proud.

Britons died in the past and continue to die so that we - and people in many other countries - do not live under fascism,

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join