It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plastic Water Bottles Won't Hurt You

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Very enlightening article that simply confirms what many have been saying since the craze to demonize BPA began.

Canada has recently announced that it is banning BPA.

But the evidence doesn't actually show that BPA is toxic. Europe's equivalent of the FDA concluded: "(T)he data currently available do not provide convincing evidence of neurobehavioral toxicity."

Richard Sharpe of the University of Edinburgh explained:

"Some early animal studies produced results suggesting the possibility of adverse effects relevant to human health, but much larger, carefully designed studies in several laboratories have failed to confirm these initial studies."

The initial studies injected BPA into animals, rather than giving it by mouth, which is how we humans are exposed. Since BPA degrades in the gut when we consume it, very little gets to our cells.

BPA has been labeled the cause for practically endless list of ailments and diseases.

When a chemical is said to cause so many disorders, that's a sure sign of unscientific hysteria. But a documentary called "Tapped" says it's true. It quotes experts claiming "BPA may be one of the most potent toxic chemicals known to man."

Nonsense. Not only is there no good evidence that BPA locked into plastic can hurt people, it actually saves lives by stopping botulism.

"Since BPA became commonplace in the lining of canned goods, food-borne illness from canned foods -- including botulism -- has virtually disappeared," says the American Council of Science and Health.

From the "Junk Science Mom" on the "truth or scare blog"

"If you believe what you see and hear in the media, those fighting an unnecessary battle against bisphenol-A (BPA) are altruistic individuals concerned about health and safety. ... But there is an ugly truth behind the scenes that you will never hear about in the media. Greed, propaganda, political agendas, profits, lies and scams. And it all can be tied to one person and one powerful PR firm. David Fenton and Fenton Communications. ...

"He is the puppet master, and we moms are his puppets. He orchestrates the scare, and we, being fearful for our children, unknowingly carry out his plan for him. He comes out a winner, and we are duped into wasting our time, money and energy fighting a battle that never needed to be fought."

So, why ban BPA?

Because scientifically illiterate legislators are quick to panic. When the media sensationalize, legislators respond. Two FDA scientists -- Ronald J. Lorentzen and David G. Hattan --[AZ1] note the bias toward sensationalism: "The disquieting public invocations made by some ... about the perils of exposure (to BPA) ... galvanize the public debate."

townhall.com...

Don't know about you, but I'm not giving up my old Nalgene bottles anytime soon.

n September 2010, Food Standards Australia New Zealand (FSANZ) updated their “Bisphenol A (BPA) and food packaging” fact sheet. According to FSANZ:

“FSANZ is very aware of and sensitive to the public concerns about the potential adverse health effects of exposure to Bisphenol A, but remains of the opinion that there is no health risk for consumers, including infants, as ongoing testing has revealed that BPA may only be found at extremely low levels in polycarbonate plastic baby bottles and in infant formula. This view on risk is also shared by other international food regulators in Canada, the United States and Europe. “

“Bisphenol A does not cause cancer. BPA belongs to a group of substances that can act in a similar way to some hormones and, as such, are sometimes called ‘endocrine disruptors’. Some studies in laboratory animals suggest that low levels of (consumed) BPA may have an effect on the reproductive system while other studies indicate no effect. Similar consequences in consumers at these low concentrations are considered unlikely because BPA is rapidly inactivated and then excreted in the urine in humans.”

www.foodstandards.gov.au...

www.factsaboutbpa.org...

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Even if the previous health implications are incorrect, isn't the environmental issue alone, enough to say plastic water bottles are not a good idea? They do not decompose for eons, are filling up landfills rapidly and cost infinitely more to produce than the very products they contain.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Cherryontop

The whole bottled water issue is a marketing and PR scam. That's why I carry an old refillable Nalgene bottle that contains BPA. No worries.

BPA is used in many products and it actually helps prevent botulism from canned food products. Ban this stuff and see what happens to botulism rates.

Just look at what the ban on DDT has done for the bed bug epidemic sweeping the east coast. Nothing wrong with well controlled and regulated use of DDT.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
This is why early lab result releases don't hold much water.
There hasn't been a long term test conducted.
So they injected BPA into mice. Mice are not humans. Are they injecting this chemical in the exact same property that plastic bottles are made of? Or just their version of the chemical? Has it been processed and treated like plastic has. Has the chemical been made to sit in a solution packed in plastic stored in a warehouse for months at a time?
Last but not least, was this chemical mixed with the same compounds, all the other chemicals, that plastic is mixed with? Or just the chemical itself?
Are you willing to risk the health of people everywhere based on a study, that is only in its initial stages on mice?
If there is nothing toxic about plastic, are you willing to melt it and eat it?

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
You should urgently watch "Plastic Planet".

I may post a thread on this at the weekend, but until then, please watch the (cinema) documentary.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
So your sources are:
1: A conservative opinion site. I wonder if they are anti-regulation?
2: The Polycarbonate/BPA Global Group of the American Chemistry Council which represents the BPA industry. I'm sure their top priority is the public's health.
3: Food Standards Australia New Zealand. This is your only legitimate source and even they point out that BPA "can act in a similar way to some hormones" and research is still being done and they will update their recommendations to keep up with current research.

Sorry but you haven't convinced me BPA is safe

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
If they can make a buck at it they will continue selling you poison.

Chlordane was banned in the United States because it's highly deadly.

The Chemical companies that make it to this day.....still export it to other countries to make a $.

All that cheap made in China or other 3rd world country food we buy....has chlordane and banned substances in it.

I have a Filipino friend that runs a rice business in the Philippines. They used to get 1 rice crop a year. With the new chemicals they use...they get 3 rice crops a year. He won't eat it.

China has a huge diabetes/obesity explosion right now. Why? They are destroying their DNA as we did from the industrial chemicals/pollution. Our very DNA has been destroyed. May god help us all.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I've never been a big chemo-phobe, but I do have to say that I generally dislike most plastic water bottles. Generally, they leech a rather bad flavor/odor into the water or whatever it is I have stored there. Hence, I prefer glass - or some of the more expensive plastics that don't have a tendency to do that.

However, with any chemical out there, there will be people claiming it is bad for you. There are groups that will tell you that celery is bad for you because of this, that, or the other.

In the end, if you believe something to be bad for your health, don't buy it. No one forces you to buy a specific brand or keeps you from purchasing the non-poisoned varieties of food.... unless you're on a government program that approves/denies certain products.

So, I'm not sure why we'd turn around and say that the government is the only institution qualified to be concerned for our well-being.

Personally, I'm not for or against BPA. I'm sure there are many other compounds and solutions that could be found to the same problem BPA resolves - so I'm not particularly attached to it, either.

We've been using it for well over 50 years, and have yet to fall apart at the seams, so I am not really sure there's much to be concerned about.

But, I'm all for options and better solutions - if a better solution can be found, then there's no problem in using it.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Plastic bottles ARE HURTING us ! !

There is plastic everywhere, in nature, in the sea, in animal stomachs,
around animals (fishing nets). . .etc. . .

And, the small drinking bottles ARE THE WORSE ! !
They REALLY are everywhere, in our streets, in
our parks, etc. . .on the grass, the asphalt. . .in our lakes. . .
. . on the rivers' shores. . .etc. . .

! ! EVERYWHERE, because of MORONS throwing them there ! !

So we say it again: ***Plastic bottles ARE HURTING us ! !***
. . .chemicaly or by other means. . .

Blue skies.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by C-JEAN

Like you said its because morons are throwing them out.

Saying plastic bottles are killing us is like saying a bullets are killing us. Bullets don't kill people, those who shoot the bullet does.

Plastic bottles wouldn't be all over the place if they were refilled using a filtration device attached to the sink.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I suggest refillable bottles like the 32 oz. Nalgene for everyone. I've been using the same bottles for ages. Bottled water is a scam as is the fear of BPA in plastics.

Plastics in general wouldn't be a problem if people would just dispose of them properly. I love the outdoors and just when you think you have reached a place of solitude on a hiking trail you find a discarded plastic water or Gatorade bottle. I also love to sail and have seen plastic debris wash up on beaches of uninhabited islands. It is pathetic. However, plastics certainly have their place in our world. Sadly, its the people who use them that apparently don't know what their responsibilities are as stewards of the planet.

new topics

top topics

join