It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What single event or reason first got you interested in the conspiracy field?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I'm 32 and the JFK assassination and the disappearance of Jimmy Hoffa are the first two conspiracies I can remember talking to my dad about when I was younger.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I made an earlier post what me got interested.
But the distrust in the church got me..
just watch it

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
For me it has to be reading Erich von Däniken's Chariot of the Gods when
i was about 10, still fascinated 32 years later. "The great unknown history of the human race"
will i ever know ?........doubt it

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
1. Continual alien abductions through my youth.

2. The "In Search Of" show which lead to me reading everything in the library on UFOs, Bigfoot, Atlantis, etc (It was 1976 and I was 8 years old).

3.UFO sitings in my youth which furthered my belief that there are things we don't know (not mainstream)

4. Went to catholic school, and wasn't satified with the answers I was getting about my religion. Started studying world religions which, of course, lead to more conspiracy theories.

5. Got into ghost hunting and the paranormal.

6. Got into politics and history deeply and learned all the wonderful things about shadow governments, the fed (Jeckal Island) etc.

Here I am, 42 years old with a lifetime of spooky shart running through my brain.

The single event though was simply that I was born with a brain, and liked to think and expand my mind to understand the universe around me, even what goes on behind closed doors.

I became an engineer to assist me with understanding the things I needed to know about science so I am not easily fooled by BS.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Finding out about electronic mind control is being used in schools in 1992 in london. I have not lived a moment in privacy since.

Until the net came along i could not find out info on this, as in uk no books are in the limelight for mind control.

At least my life has proven something, something very sinister is going on destroying lifes and on purpose, just because police and people may make it up.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I've always found Secret Societies interesting, especially their obsession with the occult while living "Strict Christian" lives in the public eye (the Templars, the Masons, Skull & Bones, the Nazis, etc).
I guess the first thing that got me interested in Conspiracy is when I came across the connection between Herbert Hoover, the Henry Schroder Corp, and the rise of Hilter in Germany. That was always fishy to me.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Hm, interesting question... I discovered this site because I was looking up Area 51, I kept watching Youtube videos about it because it fascinated me. This was maybe 2 or 3 years ago. But, the conspirator in me has been active since I saw The Truman Show around 11 years ago.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I've always ben interested in all things paranormal. Ghosts, U.F.O.'s, bigfoot,etc. When 9-11 happened, I wasn't personally affected so really didn't give it much thought. One day I happened on ATS by accident and that led me to Loose Change. Totally changed my outlook and thoughts on alot of things.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I love the post about Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny , what a classic

For me one of the most stand out and first was meeting human clones .

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I remember the pictures of the "Face on Mars" in 1976 in all the UK papers and also on the news that same evening, very exciting as I was only 10 at the time. I remember anxiously waiting to see the following days pics and news about this amazing discovery only for the subject to vanish from the media. I was beginning to think this pic would be hushed up forever until it resurfaced several years ago. What disturbed me the most about this was the fact that other people who had seen the pics and tv about this at the same time as me, and who were just as excited about it, would later claim not to remember it and flat out deny they had seen it... most people have just got to go with the crowd I suppose.
I suppose that time marked my "media awakening" and shattered my trust in believing what "they" tell us.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I think it probably started with me while I was getting a telling off when I was really wee, and my mum or dad would say "do as I say and not as I do".

I was probably like.. WHAT? I'm a human being too. WHY can't I do what I like?

That's most likely when I started to see these invisible walls that people put everywhere that I wanted to look over, and I saw that the world was telling me lies. All sorts of lies.
Speaking metaphorically,
about the walls.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
A little bit lame, but Flight of the Navigator was my favourite movie when I was about 5/6 & I had E.T. posters about the same age.

Then a few years later when I was about 12, my interest was piqued through watching the X-Files and being given the 'Book of the Unexplained' - each chapter detailed the theories & conspiracies behind each episode.

First couple of years it was something different every week, before it all became one continuous storyline - so in the one book I got interested in UFO sightings & encounters, cover-ups, psychic crime solving, faith healing, feral humans, freaks of nature, spontaneous combustion, reincarnation, and ghosts/hauntings.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Ever since I was little (5 or 6), I've always been attracted to outer space, which then led to aliens when I was around 9 or so.

Growing up in Southern Baptist mega-churches, and seeing how the church portrayed itself to the congregation and how the church really worked behind the scenes when my father worked at them (corruption, embezzling, etc). If anything, it opened up my eyes to how mean and cruel the people that are supposed to be the most kind and caring can be.

9/11 was probably the biggest for me, though. I was 11, sitting in class at school watching the towers fall. My entire world view was completely shattered in an instance. I remember feeling so stupid when I heard the news casters talking about all of these names and places that I had never heard of before, and I made a promise to myself that I would never feel that way again. I was 11, so not knowing what was going on was understandable, but I still set out to make sure I never had those feelings again. I began to read anything I could get my hands on, and tried to absorb as much knowledge as I could about anything. I haven't really stopped since then. Reading a lot brought me to different view points on different things, which in turn made me actually think for myself and not blindly accept what people (especially people in power) told me.

Also, this one kind of goes under the laughable conspiracies, but the 2006 NBA Finals between the Dallas Mavericks and the Miami Heat. I swear the league wanted Miami to win, although Dallas was far superior in nearly every area that year and should have won hands down. All anyone would have to do is to look at the free-throw discrepancies between the entire Mavericks team and just Dwayne Wade, not even the entire Heat team, to see that something was up.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
for me it was when a few ppl said they saw a ufo in my area. i went on you tube to see if someone had put it on but they hadnt. whilst on there i stumbled across the disclosure video and after watching that ive been hooked. but it goes way beyond ufo's, its not hard to realise we're being lied to all the time and certain truths being withheld about our history. history always changes to suit the ppl in power. and who are these ppl in power? constantly cocking up the country and thinking thier doing the best for you when all there doing is milking the state and feathering their own nest. we have a right to know whats going on. (im ranting). also seeing the zeitgeist movie made me open my eyes. this is basicly how i found ats. was always getting directed here when i searched something. so i decided to sign up and post stuff.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
WACO! i was just a kid, but my dad was all into it , and he had these videos called Iron Mountain that were soooo long . They went into detail about conspiracies..... it was kinda boring to me back then , but a few of my guy friends watched them with my dad.

link   
My great aunt (my grandmother's sister) "did something" at Bletchley Park (where they cracked the Enigma codes) in WWII that is under a "forever ban" (not even a 100 year ban) of information being released to the public under security guidelines.

When I was about 10 years old, she told me that I needed to know about this stuff.

link   
My great aunt (my grandmother's sister) "did something" at Bletchley Park (where they cracked the Enigma codes) in WWII that is under a "forever ban" (not even a 100 year ban) of information being released to the public under security guidelines.

When I was about 10 years old, she told me that I needed to know about this stuff.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
The real trigger for me was in 2002 when I heard the words "enemy combatant". I recognized immediately that it was just a legal trick to avoid abiding by the Geneva Convention. I was a pretty solid republican before that, but a little digging quickly showed that nearly all US presidents were men who had little or no integrity. The US Government acts on a sort of "Billy Budd" principle - sacrifice the innocent to preserve a corrupt system.

Shortly after that I discovered Mike Ruppert. I had heard some of my friends say something about the CIA bringing drugs into the US, but I had always dismissed such stories out of hand. But here was an LA narcotics detective with solid proof. After that, the dominoes began to fall.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I forgot to mention. My gran used to say - don't eat the toothpaste it'll make your heart beat faster.

That was the 1960s. What did she know then?

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by dooleysleftleg

for me it was a U.F.O sighting i had, i could not explain it, so i went on the net to find answers which led to other topics, at that moment i understood there was a lot of stuff that i had been ignoring and deserved more research.

there are certainly some closed minded people, i often comment on it, but what you need to accept is that whilst there are people who freak out and go over the top, "ahhh! the reptilians are going to eat my brains!" there are the exact opposites who just post for the sake of denying or debunking and often their theories do not match what is seen or do not make sense also.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join