It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano Alert: Indonesia's Most Dangerous Volcano Ready to Erupt , Say Local Authorities

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   

The Indonesian Center for Volcanology has issued a third-degree warning on the possible eruption of the Merapi volcano in densely populated central Java, local media reported on Friday.

Merapi is one of the most active and dangerous volcanoes in Indonesia and has produced more lava flows than any other volcano in the world. It has been active for 10,000 years and has registered eruptions on average every four years.

"The status of Merapi was raised on September 21 from the second degree 'warning' to the third degree 'expectation,' and all activities in the threatened area around the volcano will be banned for safety reasons," said Surono, the head of the Center for Volcanology.

The official said the volcano's activity had been rapidly increasing, accompanied by tremors and frequent lava spills.

Most eruptions of Merapi involve a collapse of the lava dome creating lava flows which travel around 4 miles from the summit.

en.rian.ru...

Bah, this thing is located right in the middle of a seismic station blackout, and it is very difficult for us quakewatchers to access anything in that area. Anyone coming up with CURRENTLY ACTIVE and AVAILABLE seismic stations in GEE please post, thanks.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

You may also want to keep an eye on the volcano that was discovered in the sea in indonesia coz i believe that one may erupt too.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
people believe Indonesia's most Dangerous Volcano is Anak Krakatoa.

So how is Merapi volcano more Dangerous.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I usually follow John Seach for quick volcano info - his distracted by the current eruption on the island of Reunion.
But here's a link to the Merapi webcam a link from his site.

Merapi Web Cam
Nighttime, so nothing to see yet...

Wouldn't 'most dangerous' be defined as who or what is put at risk? Globally or locally?

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Classification of the world's most dangerous volcanoes is subject to debate. Below are listed some of the most dangerous volcanoes due to their explosive history and proximity to large population centres.

Note: All active volcanoes are dangerous and should only be approached by professionals or people with an experienced guide.

Volcano

Popocatepetl Mexico
Ulawun Papua New Guinea
Merapi Indonesia
Nyiragongo DR Congo
Unzen Japan
Sakura-jima Japan
Galeras Colombia

www.volcanolive.com...

It just depends on how you want to define "Most Dangerous." But this article is not exaggerating too much in the title. Merapi has a long history, and is imminently dangerous because it is about to explode again.

Frankly, Toba takes the cake for me.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
So, just how many once dormant volcanoes have reopened in the last 5 years?
Just curious, seems to be a common thing these days

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy

your all wrong the most dangerous volcano in that area is Toba . need i say more

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by alysha.angel

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy

your all wrong the most dangerous volcano in that area is Toba . need i say more

I can't agree more.
Toba is for sure more dangerous.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
latest news

sounds like its about to give birth

Sumarti added that electronic distance measurement readings showed the fattening of the body of Mount Merapi continued to increase.

On Thursday it was recorded at 8.5 centimeters per day, while on Friday increased dramatically to 16.4 centimeters per day.

“On Friday, deep volcanic earthquakes occurred seven times, shallow volcanic earthquake 34 times, multiphase volcanic earthquakes 321 times and lava splashed 93 times,” she said.

www.thejakartaglobe.com...

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Krakatau exploded in 1883, killing approximately 40,000 people, although some estimates put the death toll much higher.

I am going by the fact that it killed over 40,000+ people(although some sources put the estimate at 120,000 or more) directly and more may have died from crop failures and global cooling effects world wide.
dsc.discovery.com...

Now Merapi has not killed near as many
Notable eruptions, often causing many deaths, have occurred in 1006, 1786, 1822, 1872, and 1930—when thirteen villages were destroyed and 1400 people killed by pyroclastic flows.

Krakatau has a historical Volcanic Explosivity Index (VEI) of 6
The highest recorded for Merapi was a VEI of 4 in 1872.

krakatau is a sea volcano that has created very large Tsunamis

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by alysha.angel

Toba was my first thought upon reading the title. I even had a brief moment of "oh
" before reading the thread.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   
It really doesn't sound that major when you looked at the statistics etc.

What happened to the big one in Iceland that they said would go up, much more devistating than the one earlier this year that caused all the Air Travel Industry to shake in their boots!

Email me when something big is going to happen like Mt St Helens...!!

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Something big actually might be happening?

20 mins ago, it looked cloudy on this Live Webcam but now it's very Black and kind of bad!

www.merapi.bgl.esdm.go.id...

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by minkey53

It's night time there if I'm not mistaken. No worries... Yet.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Slash
reply to post by minkey53

It's night time there if I'm not mistaken. No worries... Yet.

Lol, don't I feel stupid, sorry!

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   
It would be nice if someone put up a decent webcam.
Still just hope the people around can be as safe as they can be when she blows.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Hi all, 6.1 mag in sea , indonesia region.....just come in..

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   

40,000 people on Mount Merapi need to be evacuated

Some 40,000 people living on Mount Merapi need to be evacuated after the volcano status was raised to alert level on Monday morning. The people live in Sleman regency, Klaten regency, Magelang regency and Boyolali regency. The Sleman administration had begun the evacuation at 7 a.m., kompas.com reported. Sleman Regent Sri Purnomo called on local residents to leave their homes and find a safer location.

That's got to totally suck... That thing could take weeks or months before it finally decides to blow...And what are these people supposed to do in the meantime?

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
weird, double post...
edit on Mon Oct 25th 2010 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Im hoping we see a better cam go online soon, this is going to be too good to miss.....from an observant point of view obviously.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join