It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano Alert: Indonesia's Most Dangerous Volcano Ready to Erupt , Say Local Authorities

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
7.5 Quake in the region

hisz.rsoe.hu...

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by sheeplemama_awakening
I usually follow John Seach for quick volcano info - his distracted by the current eruption on the island of Reunion.
But here's a link to the Merapi webcam a link from his site.

Merapi Web Cam
Nighttime, so nothing to see yet...

Wouldn't 'most dangerous' be defined as who or what is put at risk? Globally or locally?

Reloading that page doesn't realy give a clear picture on whats happening. Combine that with me having nothing better...

gif = 9 frames.
cheers.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Mount Tambora was even worse from 1815 with 100.000 casualties in it's after glow.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
people believe Indonesia's most Dangerous Volcano is Anak Krakatoa.

So how is Merapi volcano more Dangerous.

My money is on Toba, but it does not seem ready to blow at present.

en.wikipedia.org...

The eruption 74,000 years ago wiped out most life on earth.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_MislTech

Lol, yeah, many of us have already pointed that out about Toba.

But what is the more dangerous, one that's been quiet for thousands of years, or a smaller one ready to blow up in your face? The article has a point. At the moment, it is the most dangerous.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Breaking News: Mount Merapi Volcano Finally Erupts

Yogyakarta. After days of speculation about Mount Merapi's activity, the volcano finally erupted on Tuesday evening.

Surono, the head of the Volcanology and Geological Disaster Mitigation Agency (PVMBG), told the Jakarta Globe that the eruption was marked by the sighting of heat clouds.

"Since appearing at 5:02 and 5:23 p.m. the huge heat clouds have soared high out of the mountain's crater. It means that Mount Merapi has entered the phase of eruption. We do not expect an even larger eruption than this," he said by phone.

Galih, an officer on duty at the Merapi monitoring post in Yogyakarta told the Jakarta Globe that the first eruption occurred at 5:02 p.m.

"We are in the process of evacuating people, especially those who are living in Sleman and Magelang," Galih said.

The evacuation continues.

www.thejakartaglobe.com...

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
There's an ongoing thread about it at this link:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual
There's an ongoing thread about it at this link:

Yes, which should have been closed long ago, because I started this thread in the same forum first.

In fact, someone in that thread even posted this fact:

But still the thread remained open....Even a mod replied in the thread.

ATS has become too big a beast to handle.
edit on Tue Oct 26th 2010 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I'll stick to your thread True American since you were here first. You mentioned the seismograph black out in this area. HOLY COW that's no lie, when did that start? There used to be plenty of info. I am not sure if I will have time today, but I know that somewhere in the archives lies a thread where we all discussed Toba and it had links on where to get info for it. Not sure that they would still work... but it also had details like which of the volcanos in the area share the same lava source. I have to wonder if the black out has something to do with possible activity on Toba.

The links to the live feed do not work. Kinda bummed i can not find anything on what is happening down there other than the tsunami.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrsdudara
You mentioned the seismograph black out in this area. HOLY COW that's no lie, when did that start?

I guess I should say PUBLICLY AVAILABLE seismo blackout. Private networks and local government networks will often continue to function, but the data is only disseminated through them. Another thing is that seismo stations are deployed for a limited time, and go offline all the time. Sometimes they come back, and sometimes they don't. And sometimes they go private, or get acquired by other networks who then have to refurbish them before they go back online.

I can't seem to come up with anything in GEE other than two stations in all of Sumatra and Java.

The links to the live feed do not work. Kinda bummed i can not find anything on what is happening down there other than the tsunami.

Yeah, they probably went down due to overload. For every one of us that responds in these threads, there are hundreds that don't. But they look, and lurk, and creep, and crawl, and stalk, and watch, and click, and view, and cause servers to crash. Darn lurkers!

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
i live in yogyakarta, i can see merapi from my house and that's right, the mountain now erupt...

most of the street now covered by the ash form the mountain... we all now evacuate, its just like watching an disaster movie, really horrible...

now we have a new problem like
- 13 people on the hospital, 1 people die
- lack of gas mask, i can smell sulfur now if i open my mask
- the government says it's just the beginning, the eruption will getting bigger

photo of the ash rain coming form te mountain... in front of the rescue post

edit on 26-10-2010 by riverbank because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I was reading this wondering if there...was a thread about it....

this thread was the closest I could find.....

new? info...? news.yahoo.com...

113 ppl dead....still not there "help has not arrived yet"? hope someones awake...
edit on 26-10-2010 by Doc Holiday because: to add my opinion...

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
getting web cam now

www.merapi.bgl.esdm.go.id...

ash on lens tho but you can still see the red glowing smoke on top

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Looks like ever more ash is falling as the lense is covered in it now and it wasen't about 5mins ago (it was more manageable than it is now!)

What is going on? has she blown? looks weird!

EDIT: Ah maybe not! apologies, still looks the same except for the extra ash on the lense..
edit on 26-10-2010 by 101001101 because: False alarm!

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
we got so spoiled with Eyja's streaming web cams, how I wish this was streaming too, you would think someone would set up a streaming cam. sheesh.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Yeah those were cool, especially at night when you could see the fiery glow! and for such an active region, the coverage is poor, one webcam and webicorder data that is just imaged rather than real time.

Webicorder is here: www.merapi.bgl.esdm.go.id...

and (old - 26th Oct)

i56.tinypic.com...

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
well, I have searched You Tube and Cnn IReports and can't really find anything worth posting. This is awful and I can't stand not knowing or seeing what is going on there.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Wind and rain or possibly a handkerchief has cleaned the lens. Foggy but may clear up later so we may see what is happening

www.merapi.bgl.esdm.go.id...
edit on 27-10-2010 by berkeleygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
I Took the time to make a somewhat larger time-laps from the webcam. The time-lap spans 35 minutes and shows a cloud (of ash?) rolling in and obscure the view. (10-28-10 12:24:05 - 12:59:05.)

Cheers.

edit on 28/10/10 by D.Wolf because: not shure the cloud is ash in origine.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by D.Wolf

Thank you for taking the time to do that D.Wolf

Yeah, still cloudy/ash whatever there.

Good update at Eruptions
bigthink.com...

Pyroclastic flows have killed at least 28 people. Everything is covered with ash.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join