It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA and DARPA Plan 'Hundred-Year Starship' To Bring Humans to Other Worlds And Leave Them There For

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I think DARPA and NASA has gone off their rockers to even mention something this ridiculous. I'm not talking about the prospect of going. I'm talking about the prospect of going on a one way trip. The primary objective of space exploration is to gain knowledge of other planets and systems. If there is a source of rare elements or minerals to be found, we would certainly want to extract these deposits for our benefit.

You must ask yourselves, "What is the objective of such a mission?" To send humans to another world without an exploration of the world is beyond stupid. And about the $1 million in DARPA money and $.1 million in NASA to make a case study is a waste of money also. The engineering and technology is limited for such a hare-brained endeavor on top of all this. I'm not saying that we'll never be capable of such a trip. I'm sure we'll get to this level one day if we survive our idiotic ways of everyday life.

A one hundred year spacecraft?
It sounds to me that Popular Science was hard up for any story to meet press time.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Uh oh! NASA we have a problem. A double post.

edit on 21/10/10 by Intelearthling because: Double post.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
To be perfectly honest...
whether it sounds "whacky" to you or not...

I feel that "We" already have humans "off world", and have for a long time,
before many of us here were even born.

I think that naval space command has been doing this for decades.
and The Moon, and Mars, each have humans already on their surfaces.
Possibly even already having children born "off world". (Earth).

tinfoil hat-ish enough for ya? lol

Anyway~
If I could sign my name onto a list,
and that would allow me to board this "hundred year starship"
and go on the journey..
I would sign it today,
and leave next week if possible. lol

i love Earth, and would miss it terribly Im sure,
( I wouldnt miss all the BS that currently "makes earth")...
but the Planet itself, [aka GAIA] and all that makes it what it is,
I would dearly miss.

I would have a difficult time going and knowing that I could never come back to Earth,
But I honestly think I would do it if given the chance.

i have dreamed of it ever since I was able to dream. (forever). lol

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling
"What is the objective of such a mission?" To send humans to another world without an exploration of the world is beyond stupid.

To send colonists to a planet the space marines have already secured?

What I want to know is... which target have they selected? If we use our fastest currently revealed drive capabilities how fast could we go... including a few gravity sling shots around Jupiter, etc...

The closest star is 4.2 light years away. As far as I know we have not spotted any extra solar planets around that one.

The Gliese 581 system has 5-6 planets, some in the habitable zone, but that is 20 light years away.

So if NASA and DARPA say '100 years' well to make Gliese we would need 1/5 light speed to hit it in 100 years

So either they have a better drive, or there is some target that is closer that they are not talking about

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
this is awesome to read
$1,100,000 though? i bet its already done, they just needed the extra million to finish up. article says theyll make it in a couple years, wow. its already done locked away in a secret facility probably underground
cant wait till the elites use this lol they will just leave instead of us having to kill them.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
yea I know it sounds ridiculous in theory
but I am all for this idea. I bet it works
one day in the distant future. I would
go if I could, but I don't think they want
a disabled dude helping start the new world
so I'll just wait out the destruction here

Anyway, this thread kinda goes along
with my other thread here

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

zorgon, you need to get back to reality. What Space Marines? Oh, I forgot. The ones off Aliens. The ones that got stranded and got their butts kicked by unarmed extraterrestrial creatures. My bad.

As for the thread, every star has a planetary system. It's just we can't directly observe them all. As for Gliese 581g being 20 light-years away, it would take well over 100 years to get there even if we did attain a speed of 1/5 (c). It's not a straight line when we get into space.

I foresee us colonizing the Moon and quite possibly Mars within a hundred years, but colonizing an extrasolar planet will happen only in science fiction. Exactly the same way it's done today.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Oneolddude

This is where colonization comes into play as mining Mars will make heaps of money.

Albeit only for the investors and Government while the miners will harvest rocks.

Let us hope something more comes out of this than exploiting a planet and the resources.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12voltz
Screw the problems on this planet ,lets spend all our time and money on travelling through space looking for somewhere else to enforce our righteous ways.Onwards and upwards!

You do know that that is typical bureaucracy in action, right?

Send money overseas while people at home starve.

All for the benefit of sound bytes and political favors.

This time it will be another planet few will ever see except colonists sons and daughters.

Unless they have billions to go on a Mars vacation package.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   
jeez a million $ budget? Justin Bieber's latest video has a higher budget than that. I guess Nasa/Daarpa have high hopes for humanity's future.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Maybe we should fix our earth bound problems first before we start thinking about sending them (our problems) into space.

That money could feed an awful lot of hungry people. Today.

At the rate we're going, there won't be anyone left to pilot it by the time it's ready to go.

My $.02.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   
I for one could care less where this ship were taking me. It couldn't be much worse then this place. And to be honest with you people, I'm a comedian and I'm going to create a bit where I'll force you to force me to get on this ship. And I will.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   
All I can picture is the 60's show Lost in space, I'll stay here. I like this planet.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by pinealexplorer

haha that made me laugh, i would love to go though, i wouldnt even think about it for a second, just a yes. If i had the chance i would spend infinti exploring the universe, it is wonderful.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   
I would imagine they've already sent many people to many different places in the Universe. Much like an exchange program, wouldn't you agree?

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 03:41 AM
link   
They used to call astronauts "astro-nuts". The concept of putting a man on the moon was considered "crazy" by a lot of people. But ... we did it .... almost 50 years ago.

Its really been that long? Were jet airplanes considered a "fantasy" in 1890? 50 years later they were passing our Mustangs like they were standing still ....

They will build this craft ... you watch.

If you build it they will come ....
edit on 22-10-2010 by GeisterFahrer because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpartanKingLeonidas

Originally posted by jexmo
Sign me up, i'll go and never come back

I would have zero issues with never coming back.

I would however have an issue with not being a leader.

I was born to lead.

Any man that requires another man to lead rather than represent him is feeding the system.

Any man who believes that he can take the said lead is feeding the system (that would be you).

It's egoistic and it's immature. Try evolving.

You might think you're uniquely predestined to lead but the sad thing is that nine out of ten truthers/researchers/conspiracy theorists/activists suffer from the same delusion where they daydream of the fame and accolades of leading a movement.

What you think is unique is actually common. Everyone thinks they're a born leader. This mindset is contrary to every man undertaking full responsibility for his own life. By saying you are born to lead, you're saying that you were born to encourage man to become intellectually and ethically lazy and live by somebody elses word and instruction.

If you still can't see how this feeds the system then you are the system and perhaps just as well you'll be heading to Mars.

My opinion: we have no right to colonize another planet until we get things right here. Otherwise, we're just spreading our diseased notions of civilization and society.
edit on 22/10/2010 by rexusdiablos because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

I think we have big problems on Earth to deal with first..... the leaders of this World have got us into big problems so they should fix it first before setting plans forth for space exploration....

Well the people planning space explorations are not the leaders dropping bombs on each other, they are people that have dreams beyond building the next bigger toy of destruction.

Now tell you what... when I see you standing on the steps of the Whitehouse with a sign that says "Ban the Bomb" or "Get out of Iraq" then you may have a point.

In the meantime, since NO ONE is going to take on ANY government leaders to stop the insanity, maybe, just maybe a few of the right kind of people will make a new foothold. And they will be far too busy for hundreds of years just getting a colony established to be concerned with war games

One thing I have noticed in these threads...many of those skeptical about UFO's and Aliens existing, are the first to say "No way would I go" or "Mankind needs to stay Earth bound"

Funny that...

I'm not saying that i wouldnt want to go.... i'm sure it would be great and maybe i wouldnt even die up there.... with space time i may get to live for more than 100 years!! This would be one of the greatest things ever for someone to do.... who wouldnt want travel through space?

What i am saying though is that i don't want to be stuck here on Earth..... lol.... yes, i know the thread is about building this 'starship' but there's just a lot of crap happening down here..... needs to be sorted out IMO.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   
I don't get this at all. The world economy is going belly up, we are on the brink of WW3, where are we going to go, the moons of Saturn. Plus NASA hasn't even figured out how to conceive children in space without deformity or miscariage. Just like everything else in the world, doesn't add up.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   
i have to agree that the money being spent on this is realy pathetic at best but im optimistic that it might be enough to get the debate started on the issue of travelling to other planets, Ive always had a suspicion that the US has in fact colonised some parts of space for strategic reasons and is secretly yrs ahead of every 1 but this is just one of the senarios that may or may not be.But if you look at where mankind is of right now youd have to agree that we are not psycologicaly ready as people and any one who is alive today wont be setting foot on another planet,also you have to take into consideration the reasources and logistics needed to not only create a craft to ferry people to other worlds but also the logistic and reasources to use up while they travel and the same again when they get to the planet as you wont have any infrostruture or means to build anything such as,factories,science labs but also you need land that can grow crops and youll not only need smart people but youll need unskilled labour and semi skilled labour as well, theres so many thing you need to take technoloicaly speaking and personel as well ,can earth as it is now with an ever growing population and survival need for resources survive long enough to make this possible, i like if any one could put together sum numbers together

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join