It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New U.S law will allow the government, under the command of Big Media, to censor the internet

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   

New law will allow the government, under the command of Big Media, to censor the internet as they see fit, like China and Iran do

www.huffingtonpost.com

The Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act (COICA) was introduced just one week ago, but it's greased and ready to move, with a hearing in front of the Judiciary Committee this Thursday.

COICA creates two blacklists of Internet domain names. Courts could add sites to the first list; Attorney General would have control over the second. Internet service providers and others (everyone from Comcast to PayPal to Google AdSense) would be required to block any domains on the first list
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 27/9/2010 by AmmonSeth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
So basically the U.S has now destroyed internet rights just like China's great firewall :

this is saddening, especially since it says that not only would those sites be removed from access to users just in the U.S, but they would be removed from the whole of the internet in general :| (if based in the U.S that is)

There is a petition you can sign (against this COICA) if you are a U.S citizen,
which can be found here; demandprogress.org...

I URGE you all to sign this,

i hope you all agree that this is totally unacceptable!

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by AmmonSeth

Im in the UK, sighs or I would sign it, Will that mean the end of sites such as ATS and others, or will the comments we post, be removed censored so others cannot read them?

Another way of keeping the masses under control one supposes. We cannot have millions of people thinking for themselves now can we

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
This is very bad, yes sigh the petition but I also think you should call your representative and tell them what you think. You can get the contact information of your representative here.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Heh well I guess that means the US wants to loose the money that is involved in server creation , because this basically means "Go use another countries servers for your website , we suck" . Heh I just do not understand , what are those people thinking ? I mean do they really think they can dictate the Internet without having the backing of the rest of the world behind them ? I mean

Well I guess its time for people to start moving your servers out of the US and to some other country that is not so fracked up

edit on 27-9-2010 by Thill because: my reason is my own

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
They're doing it for a seemingly legitimate purpose (copyright protection), However i bet that is just the beginning, because once the law is in effect then all they have to do is sneak in a few 'amendments' to allow them total control to put in any censorship they see fit,

To any of those willing to stick up for it, Do not be sucked in by the false pretense of 'copyright protection' it is clearly just the gateway

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Any one reading this thread and who cares at all about what it is talking about should also read this thread. It talks about the real reasons behind people pushing this law through. It should be no surprise but it is all about money.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Git your hands of my internet Willis!

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   

These Proposed " Back Doors" Incorporated into New Software for Goverment Agencies to SPY on Internet Users could Also be compromised by Hackers , besides being Totally Unconstitutional in regards to Personal Privacy Laws that are on the books today . Seems to me Law Enforcement Officers nowadays are getting LAZY when it comes to doing the Job they are being Paid for.......No Thanks Obama .

edit on 27-9-2010 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I want the namesof all the politicians who are sponsoring this.

That way I know who else to kick out when the time comes.

Three.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Welcome to The United States of China.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
One way or another bit by bit we are going to lose the INTERNET. What will be left will not be worth using for the most part. The really scary part is when the INTERNET does fall just what all is going to go with it.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I am very annoyed how my thread was moved from Breaking News to General Conspiracies,

how on earth is this a general conspiracy thread? Its about an actual even that is taking place this week?

I U2U'd the moderator who moved it, however i have been ignored?

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I had to star and flag this post, I really hope people here on ATS are paying attention to whats going on......

This is the SAME government that wants to pass Net Neutrality and is touting it as a service to the freedom of the internet!

GIve me a break, you people actually believe that while they are pulling fast ones like this with the backdoor program, that Net Neutrality is going to be some benign gov regulation?

Wake up America before the US becomes the same as China in their internet freedom.

Why arent the liberals and democrats screaming about this? They screamed about the patriot act, yet this sort of thing is going on and people arent saying a word? How about how they can track where you are in the world without a warrant?

DO NOT trust the government to do ANY of this stuff for youre greater good.........I dont need someone to monitor my activity, I dont need to be watched all the time, and I dont need them to watch other people for me.

Ill take my chances WITH my freedoms , instead of the government trying to strip them away.......

For all of you who think that the Constitution is just an out dated piece of paper, It was designed to PROTECT us from these sorts of things........

Start getting familiar with it..........

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

" DO NOT trust the government to do ANY of this stuff for youre greater good.........I dont need someone to monitor my activity, I dont need to be watched all the time, and I dont need them to watch other people for me. "

Give them an INCH , and they will take a MILE . Case in Point , the Obama Healthcare Bill . If it is Not Defeated , and becomes Law , it will set a president for further Demands by Goverment for the American People to make Mandatory Purchases of Services deemed need by those currently in Power . Can you say " Dictatorship " ? ....I Can ..........

edit on 27-9-2010 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
i wouldve thought people's freedoms & liberty's being thoroughly eroded this week would be more popular topic of debate/conversation than this has proven to be :\

well all of you who sat silent now have no right to complain when your rights are stripped from you

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by AzoriaCorp

I like:

United
States
of
Soviet
America

I am starting to hate this place......

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
We live in such a fast paced, demand it now age that anyone with a "special interest" or "hurt feelings" can get their way, even if they are shedding crocodile tears about a certain subject. I guarantee this bill was started by a fast paced, slick lawyer crying at a judge that his clients moneybags weren't full enough because of the evil, scheming Internet taking their movies/music/books/art. It's greed starting to affect a crucial outlet for our humanity - whether you want to admit it or not, both the good ( educational, informative ) side of the Internet and the bad ( Anonymous boards, trolling, " Internet Bullying ( funniest thing I've typed yet today! ) ", ect ) serve a purpose -

They are a vent, and if you, in any way, block a vent or damage it, you could risk some not some favorable results.

I very much hope that people will get active when they see what is going on, but we have a lot of people in America now that have been "Conditioned" to fear the Internet, and that will more than likely at least put a hamper on the reaction to this bill.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Well the judiciary hearing is tomorrow,
I for one expect it to come out in favor of COICA, because people will have to accept it due to the legitimate copyright protection it COULD offer,

However i fear this will blind them to the FACT that it will also enable the government to censor what truly is the last free & open social forum,

It shall indeed be a sad, sad, day

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
This is horrible. This will do nothing to combat piracy either. The sites will move off shore. I guess it's also time to invest in an offshore VPN.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join