It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Well I'm going to Church for the first time in years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
My old friend Luke invited me to visit the old youth group. I would probably bring some dip. Now It would be weird going back since I'm an Atheist. Hopefully I would have a lot of fun.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Lol. Good for you.what denomination?

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Try not to ask them too many questions... they might not like it when you don't accept what you're told

I for one would never go back to church unless it was to discuss things with a pastor after the service. I wouldn't be able to hold my tongue during a sermon so I'd want to wait outside during that part.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

lol! I know what you're saying. Hey it should be fun seeing old friends and eating a lot deserts.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by oliveoil

I think it is a Baptist Church. That's what I read on the sign last time.
:/

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull

Try not to ask them too many questions... they might not like it when you don't accept what you're told

I for one would never go back to church unless it was to discuss things with a pastor after the service. I wouldn't be able to hold my tongue during a sermon so I'd want to wait outside during that part.

And I would have zero respect for any Pastor that wouldn't welcome your questions. Something that many atheists don't recognize, and, appallingly, few Christians realize, is that questioning faith is a good thing, because REAL values come from things that we consider, and we defend, rather than things that's we're given, and we accept without any cogent thought.

To the OP, good luck with things. Even if you get absolutely nothing from your excursion, beyond the brief fellowship that is inevitable, you're gotten something. Connecting to others, regardless of its basis, is ultimately invaluable.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

I absolutely agree. Those that claim faith is unquestionable or that the Christian beliefs shouldn't be questioned are typically the blind followers as opposed to the open minded adherents who have questioned their faith but managed to retain it.

Star for your open mindedness

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull
reply to post by adjensen

I absolutely agree. Those that claim faith is unquestionable or that the Christian beliefs shouldn't be questioned are typically the blind followers as opposed to the open minded adherents who have questioned their faith but managed to retain it.

Star for your open mindedness

They are also the types of people who often wind up running amok of what their faith teaches, because they don't bother applying any filter other than that given by the authority of those who seem to know more than they, or have the confidence to claim that they do.

We have brains, and if God is who gave us them, he did so with the expectation that we'd use 'em, so these "don't question authority" types don't have much of a basis that I can see.

top topics

join