It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Replace 10 commandments with just 2 ideals.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Heya

Been reading up and considering this for awhile, seeing what holes it could create..ultimately it seems we could streamline the civilization guidance stones and increase its effectiveness in one stroke if humanity kicked away the 10 and replaced it as followed

Work for pleasure and cause no pain.

People will always look into things and expand on the idea...the concept is pretty simple though...things that give you or the majority pleasure are good things, whereas things that give yourself or society pain are bad things.

This simple philosophy covers all the commandments and any dilemma's where the specifics of the commandments fail.

It gives me pleasure to attain comfort, but if I attain it at the suffering of others, that is violating the pain thing and so should not attempt to attain things in that manner. If attaining pleasure through capitalist tendencies, there is no pain to the loser, just a failure of success in their personal pleasure.

The word pleasure envokes sexual relationships for some reason, so lets tackle that. obviously sex gives pleasure, however rape and other such things causes pain..pain is always the stronger factor when making decisions about pleasure...so, ya..no rapeing, no molesting, none of that..that creates pain on others.

Having stuff gives me pleasure, but stealing stuff causes pain in others. having a wife gives me pleasure, cheating on her causes her pain, etc etc etc

This is not to be taken literally...if someone enjoys a bit of pain in their pleasure, that is their decision..so long as it is their choice on how they seek out their ultimate pleasure..the responsibility of how you seek out pleasure is yours alone and so long as it does not cause pain in others to attain your pleasure, then so be it.

Views of other peoples choices and lifestyle does not cause pain...even if you disapprove of the persons lifestyle greatly...that is simply your issue. they are not causing you pain, you are choosing to feel pain by yourself on your own personal judgements, which means you can either choose to endure your own pain, or alter your judgements to have it not effect you anymore.

This is simply a philosophical seed Sometimes keeping things simple is the best and has the most effect..less words means less loopholes typically.

I am trying to think of any gray areas this philosophy would fail in where the commandments would catch and so far, I have not been able to find any.

So, is it time to streamline the commandments then?

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Work for pleasure and cause no pain.

People will always look into things and expand on the idea...

Of course they will, whenever you use words to describe the indescribable (The Soul) there is bound to be confusion, because words mean different things to different people. Some people live on principalities and indoctrinations alone, but the words themselves are empty, no matter how many ideals you attempt to apply to them, people are going to converge to what The Majority say, and this ALWAYS leaves out the minority.

How do you combat this?
Get everyone on the same page.
How is this possible?

Get everyone to see through the same plane, everyone needs to get to the root of themselves, for all of us to be on one accord. The truth is no word(s) the truth is the heart, the heart can see all in its purest form. I believe once people start seeing with their soul eyes, they will be able to decipher pain from pleasure and no socially agreed upon term will suffice.

This simple philosophy covers all the commandments and any dilemma's where the specifics of the commandments fail.

Any commandment will FAIL, no matter how simplistic it may be. People are always going to find ways to bend and twist words and collective meaning, because that is what we naturally do and nothing is wrong with this. Everyone must dance to their own tune, this is the only way we can live in harmony (I deliberately did not say peace, because there will never be peace until all self destructing spirits are obliterated, and the best way for this to happen, is to sit back and let them destroy themselves. Who knows how long that is going to take).

I'll give you an example.
If we were to put these two commandments into affect tomorrow, and everyone agreed on them to be the new law, the new way, I promise you, they will use these words to wage a new kind of war. Psychological wars, war on emotion and preferences. If a commandment says "cause no pain" someone could twist that around and say, "My daughter wearing this mini skirt when she goes to school causes me a great deal of pain, and I have heart problems, by the Global Decree of our New Two Commandments, I demand for her to be ostracized to the Island of Misfits for her rebellion against the universal code."

See what I mean?
It's just going to be somebody's definition and interpretation against another's.
No word given commandments are going to work.
We need a whole new way of seeing. We need to see to the soul, we need to see with our hearts, not with our minds that tell us what we think we see, we need to Feel The Light or The Darkness within ourselves, and within everyone else.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

In addition to the 10 commandments this should be nearly the extent of all laws.

Cause no harm to another - This covers murder, theft, and every other crime against a person. It covers civil wrongs.

Work for Pleasure - One cannot work for pleasure if they work to feed their family.

I like your ideas.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Golden Rule, pretty much covers everything.

Do no harm to another and do not infringe on their rights of Life, Liberty and Property.

Things missing from the 10

1-5 are not covered under the Golden Rule. Heck, you could say the Golden Rule is partially against the ten commandments. No graven images.

I think I will stay with the Golden Rule and the 10 commandments. Seems to be a good idea.

A link to the 10 commandments since you are attempting to say yours is a better idea.

10 Commandments

I do not think they will mind me pasting them-

1. You shall have no other gods before me.

2. You shall not make for yourself any carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.

3. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.

4. Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your manservant, nor your maidservant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

5. Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you.

6. You shall not murder.

7. You shall not commit adultery.

8. You shall not steal.

9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.

10. You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor’s.”

I always thought that anyone that states they cannot follow the 10, must really have a problem.

Even if one does not believe in God, what is wrong with 5-10?

edit on 21-9-2010 by saltheart foamfollower because: changed 6-10 to 5-10, I was listing them in my head and realized the mistake.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto

In addition to the 10 commandments this should be nearly the extent of all laws.

Cause no harm to another - This covers murder, theft, and every other crime against a person. It covers civil wrongs.

Work for Pleasure - One cannot work for pleasure if they work to feed their family.

I like your ideas.

Some feel pleased when their family is eating, or they can afford to stay in their home, etc.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   

So, is it time to streamline the commandments then?

Sure the hell is, and who better to do it than our beloved Mafiosa..?

The Ten 'Mafiosi' Commandments are:

1. No one can present himself directly to another of our friends. There must be a third person to do it.

2. Never look at the wives of friends.

3. Never be seen with cops.

4. Don't go to pubs and clubs.

5. Always being available for Cosa Nostra is a duty - even if your wife's about to give birth.

6. Appointments must absolutely be respected.

7. Wives must be treated with respect.

8. When asked for any information, the answer must be the truth.

9. Money cannot be appropriated if it belongs to others or to other families.

10. People who can't be part of Cosa Nostra: anyone who has a close relative in the police, anyone with a two-timing relative in the family, anyone who behaves badly and doesn't hold to moral values.

news.bbc.co.uk...

This version just seems so much more impartial than the original fodder...
though, # 4 appears to be a typo.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by saltheart foamfollower
I always thought that anyone that states they cannot follow the 10, must really have a problem.

Even if one does not believe in God, what is wrong with 6-10?

Worked fine in the past, but there are gray areas
Such as, ok...no murder...but how about beating someone within a inch of their life?
What about slavery
etc.

history is littered with bad things because it wasn't specified in the 10...people find loopholes when there are stated objectives verses philosophical ideals to follow..

a perfect example is that people concern themselves with legalities verses the spirit of the law. loopholes are found seemingly no matter how many laws try to enforce the spirit, because the spirit of the law is never truely taken into consideration.

Actually, it was that last paragraph that has made me realize the idea of philosophy running the civilization is flawed. the spirit of the law would make things more muddled than the actual words itself detailing what is and isn't acceptable.

I guess, like communism, it is a nice thought that does not apply to humans.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
George Carlin had a similar idea, whittling the 10 Commandments down to 2. Here's his version.(warning--language)

Here is my problem with the ten commandments- why exactly are there 10? You simply do not need ten. The list of ten commandments was artificially and deliberately inflated to get it up to ten. Here's what happened: About 5,000 years ago a bunch of religious and political hustlers got together to try to figure out how to control people and keep them in line. They knew people were basically stupid and would believe anything they were told, so they announced that God had given them some commandments, up on a mountain, when no one was around. Well let me ask you this- when they were making this s**t up, why did they pick 10? Why not 9 or 11? I'll tell you why- because 10 sound official. Ten sounds important! Ten is the basis for the decimal system, it's a decade, it's a psychologically satisfying number (the top ten, the ten most wanted, the ten best dressed). So having ten commandments was really a marketing decision! It is clearly a bulls**t list. It's a political document artificially inflated to sell better. I will now show you how you can reduce the number of commandments and come up with a list that's a little more workable and logical.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
How about just one:

"Treat others as you would like to be treated "

It's called "The Golden Rule". It's all about respect for others.
All laws follow from this.

edit on 9/21/2010 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I'd have to pick the Bill and Ted ideals - Be excellent to each other and, that thing they do with their guitars.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Sorry, but Jesus beat you to it a long time ago... two simple commandments: Love God, love everyone else as yourself.

Yours is subjective and open to interpretation, because your definition of pain and pleasure may be different from mine, so you do something that you believe causes me no pain, but it does, to me. Christ's is also somewhat subjective, but the belief is that the love of God is the equalizer -- he makes it possible for us to do what seems rather difficult otherwise, to set aside the belief that we are the centre of the Universe, and that real justice is doing unto others as we would have them do unto us.

The Ten Commandments, along with an awful lot of other things, are made redundant by Christ's Two, as it is impossible, for example, to steal from you if I'm treating you the way I expect to be treated.

Nice post, though, S&F for you!

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Sorry, but Jesus beat you to it a long time ago... two simple commandments: Love God, love everyone else as yourself.

Christ's is also somewhat subjective...

somewhat subjective..? You must be smokin' some serious scooby snacks to throw out something so "subjective" all the while condemning that very notion...

I'll give you this - you seem quite consistent in your views...

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I do believe George Carlin sums it up the best
(warning: strong language. May not be suited for some)

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by facelift
Christ's is also somewhat subjective...

somewhat subjective..? You must be smokin' some serious scooby snacks to throw out something so "subjective" all the while condemning that very notion...

I'll give you this - you seem quite consistent in your views...

Perhaps. But it's self-resolving, don't you think?

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 03:58 AM
link   
You say "Cause no pain" This means we will be vegetarians.

new topics

top topics

join