It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada's turning immigration tide

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Canada's turning immigration tide

english.aljazeera.net

In January 2005, Judy Sgro, the then Canadian immigration minister, resigned from the short-lived Paul Martin government after she was accused of corralling Harjit Singh, a refugee applicant, into offering her re-election campaign free pizzas and garlic bread. At the time, much of the country believed Singh, who later retracted his allegation.

But when, five years later, in August 2010, a boatload of Tamil refugees landed off British Colombia, the majority of Canadians wanted them sent back to wherever they came from.

So, have Canadians lost their traditional sense of empathy with the st
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
"The treatment of Tamil refugees reveals that Canada's historic sense of generosity and compassion is wearing thin."

Damn right it is!

Isn't it amazing that immigration has become a business where basically any foreigner, no matter what their history is, can buy their way into our country for a cost of $4000 or higher.

Who the hell are we letting into this country when basically every aspect of the screening process can be falsified for the right $$.

english.aljazeera.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Why are so many people trying to get in the side door anyway? Is the front door not big enough, or is it being held too closely shut by too big a security guard? I am sure there is plenty of corruption at that front door too involving bribes and whatnot.

It's not a simple issue by any means. We should be tackling this on more than just one front.

1. Get tough on the guys in charge of and profiting from the boats loaded with migrants.
2. Beef up and at the same time increase scrutiny of the legit front door immigration system.
3. Support economic development and efforts to decrease political corruption in those countries from which illegal emigre's originate.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by wayno
It's not a simple issue by any means. We should be tackling this on more than just one front.

1. Get tough on the guys in charge of and profiting from the boats loaded with migrants.
2. Beef up and at the same time increase scrutiny of the legit front door immigration system.
3. Support economic development and efforts to decrease political corruption in those countries from which illegal emigre's originate.

That would be a good start. IMO immirgation should be suspended untill we make some usefull changes like these. Who knows who's slipping in in the mean time.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Wow, and when something like this happens here in America, we're only doing it because we are racists? I am amazed at the double standards that still exist in these times.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
That boat arrived in BC in August. Now, at the end of September, Canadian authorities can not positively identify any of the 400+. None had papers. None will identify any of the ship's crew or captain. No cooperation whatsoever. Many even had their faces covered as they off loaded into their new homeland.
More than that, recent reports seem to show that earlier "refugees" regularly return "home" for reasons which vary from vacations to business trips. Who would return to a place of horror where one faced torture and death if captured?
These people got Canada pegged and the average Canadian is getting weary of paying so called refugees big money for welfare, medical, dental, legal, education, etc. when Canadian old folks get a pittance after lifetimes of building a country. There are whole clinics for these Tamils while some BC citizens cannot find a family doctor.
I am waiting to hear that a re-fitted aircraft carrier is on its way with 4000 new Canadian want-to-be's on board.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by SimplyGord
These people got Canada pegged and the average Canadian is getting weary of paying so called refugees big money for welfare, medical, dental, legal, education, etc. when Canadian old folks get a pittance after lifetimes of building a country.

How right you are.

I never even considered the fact that our senior's barely get enough money to eat from their government pensions when at the same time these refugees, who haven't contributed to our counrty, get everything they could possibly need with the same tax dollars.

Thats just sick and should not be tolerated.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
Wow, and when something like this happens here in America, we're only doing it because we are racists? I am amazed at the double standards that still exist in these times.

I agree the double standard is BS. I started the first thread on the tamil immiragtion to Canada and was called all kinds of things from bleeding hearts. Just what about ensuring those who enter our country are acceptable for our society is racist? Why is denying access to criminals and religious extremists racist?

I have yet to get a logical ansewer from anyone who is pro-immigration.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I'm pro- Immigration, why? If your white your a damn immigrant. The only people who are not are the native Americans. As for religious extremism yeah its a problem but the catholic church is guilty of it too. Now there are cases where its legitimate like the terrorists but condemning all immigrants is just not fair. My grandparents are immigrants from England, they came with nothing but a suitcase and the clothes on their backs. As well my friend's parents are immigrants, due to war and political problems and her grandparents were refugees, perfectly nice people caught up in a political war, they aren't terrorists, they were doctors and they were helping both sides of the war because they cared about a human life.

So yes I support immigrants because they left for a better life and now get treated like they are just lowly peasants who drive taxis, when they were doctors in their country but can't work because the government makes them pay ridiculous fees they can't afford to pay because they spent all their money on getting here. Canada could have a healthy economy if the government helped get these people proper jobs that they were qualified to do. Instead we give them enough money to scrape by and pay small bills when they could be working what they know.

I'm not an expert on this but before you start accusing all immigrants that are minorities terrorists or extremists, understand that there are people out there who do need somewhere that's better and where they can be free to live a better life.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xiamara
I'm not an expert on this but before you start accusing all immigrants that are minorities terrorists or extremists, understand that there are people out there who do need somewhere that's better and where they can be free to live a better life.

When did I accuse all immigrants? I don't have any problem with law abbiding, hard working immigrants coming to my country. I have a problem with immigrants who are criminals and fanatics being able to buy their way into my counrty.

So whats the problem with that?

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by FreeSpeaker

Sorry to be putting words in your mouth but I'm sick and tired of people who assume that all immigrants are bad. By some of your posts it sounded as though immigrants are all bad. Sorry for the misunderstanding,
By your statement that you have never header good pro-immigration logic, I made an assumption you were against all immigrants and I do apologize.

I didn't mean to single you out as a generality, I was speaking more to the people who think all or most Muslims are terrorists, and all or most immigrants are lazy bums living off the governments wallet. So pretty much the stereotypers. Things are not all black and white there is a gray area and we are all guilty of forgetting that., as seen by my assumption.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Canada, well our gov't, WANTS a large population. We have great care and financial support for familys having kids...

Although we tend to allow in immigrants at a mass-rate. I can get on a bus, then the metro and walk downtown for 10 minutes without seeing one white or indian person, all Asian.

Thing I don't get is how they can come here, buy up all our real-estate, take up a whole section of a city, open malls that ONLY have Chinese writing.... Imagine if 100,000 white or black people went to China and did the same?.. HAHA. It would NEVER fly...

Land of the free.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

Have you not seen Japanese culture they love Americans... They love english, and its hip to write in roman letters rather than traditional hirigana and kanji.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Canada is not a country of immigrant bashers. At least not any more than it ever was: Think Irish immigrants trying to escape the potato famine.
But human smuggling in the name of refuge is a whole other story. Those who were on that ship as paying customers, reported as paying as much as 40,000$Cn, are in some cases no more than slaves to those they owe passage to. Probably a lot of true good people in the bunch but they are controlled via debt and organized Tamil groups. Many were supposedly surprised to find they could not just walk off the ship and meet their contacts. They had not been told the truth and reality sets in.
How does a poor displaced Tamil come up with 40,000 in cash for a one way trip? First class on a luxury liner would be half that. Fact is they do not unless supplied by some well heeled people or go into debt. These smugglers have a plan which is far from clear. And those who deal in human flesh rarely have noble intentions. Although some of America's founding fathers saw no problem with this trade.
Granted that the great Canadian gravy train is a shining idea to hold out as a lure; money, food, clothes and housing, and in two or three years you get to bring in all your relatives and closest friends under the Family Repatriation Program. Regardless how old, sick or whatever.
Something is very much not right with this ship and the next which is reputed to be on its way.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Xiamara

Around here, immigrants and refugees work for a living while white folks hog the welfare rolls.

Stereotypes are easy to use for the ill-informed and require no rational thought. It's hard to help people who've spent their whole lives with lowered expectations and have no motivation to rise above in any capacity.

They could take a job cleaning toilets but they won't. It's all about pride and pride won't pay the bills.

edit on 19-9-2010 by The Sword because: needed more clarification, less name-calling

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by wayno
Why are so many people trying to get in the side door anyway? Is the front door not big enough, or is it being held too closely shut by too big a security guard? I am sure there is plenty of corruption at that front door too involving bribes and whatnot.

Good thinking. It's nice to see somebody put solutions forward instead of aimless griping. For those naysayers, I draw your attention to the 'Voyage of the Damned' en.wikipedia.org... and the phrase 'None is too many'

Is that a scenario we need to keep repeating? Not in MY Canada!

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Why is it that when it comes to immigration, it's mostly the slime which oozes through the cracks? People work a lifetime and pay ridiculous taxes so these criminal low lifes can come here and be given a free ride courtesy of the Government. Nice scam, isn't it?

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Only in Canada !

* It is interesting to know that the Federal Government of Canada allows :

A monthly pension of : $1,890.00 to a simple refugee
plus : 580.00 in social aid
==========

A grand total of : $2,470.00 monthly
X 12 months

==========
$28,920.00 annual income

By comparison, the Old Age Pension of a senior citizen who has contributed to the development of Our Beautiful Big Country during 40 or 50 years, CANNOT receive more than :

Amount/month $1,012.00 in Old Age Pension and Guaranteed Income Supplement
X 12 months

============
$12,144.00 annual income

A difference of : $16,776.00 per year

* Perhaps our senior citizens should ask for the Status of Refugees instead of applying for Old Age Pension
We look after refugees better then our seniors. Thats why they want to come to Canada.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by wayno

I completely agree with your point on "front door" not privy to procedures in other countries but for example in the states the "front door" is riddled with miles of bureaucracy and steep in expenses. Canada has a simple affordable and as far as I can see from my personal experience extremely a friendly process.

Personally I think the reason for such harsh reaction to the boatload of immigrants is because the process isn't that difficult and if they are seeking to enter the country that way, more than likely there is something(s) in the woodpile they want to be overlooked!!

As has been pointed out already the MAJORITY of the vacationers had no identification at all, Immigration is one thing new identities is another, we leave that for the Americans to give them.

edit on 19-9-2010 by svpwizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by toddtenexpa

This is COMPLETELY ..... BS!!!!

100% BS as in COMPLETELY UNTRUE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

edit on 19-9-2010 by svpwizard because: (no reason given)

join