It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wellesley, Massachusetts Public School Students Learn to Pray to Allah

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by mumma in pyjamas
reply to post by sweetliberty

I probably see it differently because in Oz we have no distinct separation of church/state.
In fact we had half an hour a week of religion at school.
We had 7 different religions and one "no religion" room where the kids played board games.

I tried to "scripture hop" and try them all, but was not allowed to, the school decided that I would be a "disruptive influence" to my fellow students.I guess my reputation as a smarty pants was well established.

Maybe we need to take a lesson in Oz

Listen here "Miss Smartie Pants Scriptue Hopper", lol, ..... they should have allowed to to endulge until your heart bursted, lol.
I looked up the phone number to the middle school, I plan to call them and hope to get a little information from them (get their take on the field trip in question, ect..)
Thanks for adding.
sl

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 06:18 AM
link   
It's the PARENTS job to expose their kids to diffreent religions if they want to.

It's the SCHOOLs job to teach them reading, writing, math, science and history.

There is no need to go to ANY place of worship. None.

If schools spent more time actually teaching what is necessary instead of indoctrinating kids in whatever is PC at the time, then perhaps America wouldn't be so low on the education scale when compared to the other '1st world' countries around the planet!!

UGH!

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Wellesley is a good place to troll for lesbians, too. Almost seems like a cultural contradiction until you realize that the region is all about accepting the value and legitimacy of all kinds of people. I lived in MA for nearly 20 years. If Islam is actually going to take over our culture, it won't start in Wellesley. It'll start in Detroit, where poor white people sh*t all over poorer black people because rich white people are sh*tting on them and these white folks need a target for their helpless rage.

Radical Islam breeds in terrible conditions, and it feeds off the belief that a person's own society doesn't care anymore about them. The widening gulf between the haves and the have-nots, and the eradication of the American middle-class is the only way that radical Islam will ever gain a foothold in this country. And it won't get its start in a wealthy bedroom community like Wellesley.

If it ever happens here, Wellesley will be the last place it hits, and long after it's already eaten everywhere else.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   

The permission slip was for a visit to see the building, not participape in a ceremony or prayers or be proselytized to.

It clearly states in the letter that the pupils will be observing a midday prayer at the mosque..

The kids are not being indoctrinated, they were merely asked if they would like to join in by a group of friendly muslims.

There would be no big outcry if there was a field trip to a church and the kids were asked to join in a prayer there..

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by sweetliberty

This must NOT happen in any shape or form. If I heard my kid was going to visit an Islamic school or mosque....not only will they not go but I would take them out of that school permanently!!!

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Frontkjemper

That's what many don't quite comprehend. Islam isn't just a religious belief, it's also a political belief system. We're seeing this happen quite frequently in Europe, even Norway has it's own "Islamic Party of Norway" which is trying to get Sharia laws into the government here.

Thanks for posting. Grrr, I have to leave for now but you touched on some real issues there, thank you and I hope to have the opportunity to read your post again soon and respond.

sl

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by sweetliberty
reply to post by Truth_Hz

You can't teach children half stories or they will grow up with the biased views of the world that are causing this discontent in the first place. There would have been no-one there forcing them to convert to Islam, but by inviting them to pray with them they are getting the full experience of the religion.

If the children only watched the Muslims while they were in prayer, that would be enough and I don't think not participating in the prayer would cause them to possibly become biased. If given the proper respect by all the surrounding adults, they would most likely feel respect for what they were watching.

You have touched on something though, I wonder if there will be a new subject considered in the future on "Respecting all Religions and the right to worship".

Thanks for posting

sl
That subject has no place in public schools. College perhaps, but not public schools. And in the child's home as the parent sees fit.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

You do realise that most of our modern day science, maths and medicine has it's feet firmly rooted in Islam??

should we stop teaching them as well?

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

That subject has no place in public schools. College perhaps, but not public schools. And in the child's home as the parent sees fit.

What subject? Respecting others and their right to belive in and worship whatever they choose?

Sorry so short of a reply, Im going to be late so I guess I better get out of here.
Thanks for posting.
sl

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   

You certainly have some "interesting" notions regarding how to teach children about religious diversity. Having studied theology for many years, I studied many different religions and not once did I ever participate in any religious ceremony or prayer service other than in my own faith.

I also find it interesting how you describe the person who video taped this event as a "God fearing Soccer mom" who "Hates Muslims". I didn't get the impression that she hated Muslims at all. Why would she allow her child to attend if she did? She had the option not to go and/or allow her child to go but did not opt out.

After reading your other replies I've come to the conclusion that your perspective is somewhat biased, to say the least.

edit on 17-9-2010 by Blarneystoner because: to correct grammar

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   

I am a God fearing, soccer grandma who doesn't
hate muslims,just hates what they do!

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Truth_Hz

The permission slip was for a visit to see the building, not participape in a ceremony or prayers or be proselytized to.

It clearly states in the letter that the pupils will be observing a midday prayer at the mosque..

The kids are not being indoctrinated, they were merely asked if they would like to join in by a group of friendly muslims.

There would be no big outcry if there was a field trip to a church and the kids were asked to join in a prayer there..
Observing is not being asked to participate. That is the beginning stage of indoctrination.

I would be just as upset if it were any church. But I am one of a dying breed who feels there should be a separation of church and state and public education is as state as it comes.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by sweetliberty

What subject? Respecting others and their right to belive in and worship whatever they choose?

Sorry so short of a reply, Im going to be late so I guess I better get out of here.
Thanks for posting.
sl
Yes, that falls under religion, and I don't want any sort of it in my public tax funded school. Stopping at respecting others is just fine and covers everything without jumping into religion and worship, keep that out of public schools, please.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   

I agree however I'm not against non-religious Ethics classes

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Observing is different than participating in the ceremony, is it not? Did parents give permission for children to participate?

We were not there to hear what the children were told. The woman on the video was and she said it seemed they were proselytizing and her child was there.

In this article the Superintendant apologizes.

www.necn.com...

It appears that field trips are being used to indoctrinate children to other areas as well.
In this article the children were taken to a church to see their gay teacher marry on a field trip.
thechurchofjesuschrist.us...

There also appears to be discrimination going on as well.
In this link because a Muslim complained Christmas was removed from the school yet Muslim children were allowed to pray during school time for Ramadan.
americaswatchtower.com...

In 2008 this Christian girl was refused to speak as her class valedictorian because she was going to mention God and Jesus in her speech. theundergroundsite.com...

In this link the white kids were left behind while only the black kids got to go on a field trip.
www.annarbor.com...

I don't see equality in any of this. I do see agendas being pushed.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Truth_Hz
reply to post by FlyersFan

You do realise that most of our modern day science, maths and medicine has it's feet firmly rooted in Islam??

should we stop teaching them as well?

You should start a new thread outlining the evidence you have gathered to support this claim. I would be interested to read it. It's always been my understanding that modern science (based upon scientific method) had it's early roots in Greek Philosophy. However, the Sumerians are believed to be the fist culture to attempt to describe natural surroundings through mathematical quantification some 3,000 years before the birth of Muhammad.

Please understand that I'm not discounting the contributions that many Muslim scientists have made to our understandings. However, a claim such as the one you make should be supported with evidence.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by LAinhabitant

There would be an outcry if this crap happened in Australia

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Blarneystoner

In the UK every morning (in what was essentially a non-religious school) we were made to sit in assembly and sing christian songs and perform in prayer. It was also a multicultural school but the kids were expected to sit through it. I also participated from a very young age in religious studies, a class which was compulsory, throughout my secondary school.

You say that you participated in your own faith, and correct me if I'm wrong but you had chosen that faith and it was because of that faith that you did not participate in others?

What I am saying is that these children should be allowed to choose their faith, or lack of, themselves.

I have already apologised for the soccer mom comment.

However I stand by my belief that the video was a good representation of the ignorant bigotry widespread throughout the western world.

As for my bias? the only thing I am biased against is the ignorance of others beliefs and teachings.. I have not studied theology in any way and at no point claim to be an expert, however it is clear (to me at least) that people are quick to judge others (usually incorrectly) based on their belief system and that with proper education a better understanding can be reached. Diversity is good.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   

You are wrong about being of a dying breed.
More people want separation of church and
state,than those who don't.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Blarneystoner

Please research the Golden Age of Islam.

The Muslims laid the foundations for modern day science, maths and medicine based upon "knowledge of the ancients"

This is what brought it from the beliefs of a few to the masses.

They were the first to build medical schools, psychiatric hospitals, perform autopsies, draw comprehensive diagrams of the bodies nervous and circulatory systems etc etc...

all of this from the 8th century onwards.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join