It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hunting... Needed or not?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
As with most of the threads I start, I am not sure if I am in the right area with this or not. I appologize if not.

Well, hunting season is yet again upon us. All the people who live for this time of year are gearing up to go and shoot the animal of their choice. But I had to wonder, is it needed that we regulate the population of animals?

First off, who are we to say how much of what animal exsists? What is our mental attribute that calculates how many crow or deer are needed per square mile?

Also, I would have to assume that the popluation of the planet was doing just fine with its own population control before we came along. The young and sick were fair game for the predators whose job it was to keep that particular population trimmed.

Is there any sort of logic for us, as humans, to determin the population of animals? Or have we fallen in love with our own omnipotence?

On top of all that... What/who regulates OUR population on this planet?

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jkd Up
On top of all that... What/who regulates OUR population on this planet?

As far as I know, the UN. Don't believe me? You'll see....

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

The need for regulation comes into play when their isnt balance in the circle of life. To much land taken away from one animal, over production of another animal and so on and so on.

We need to regulate because nature is out of balance.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
As we have removed most hunted game(s) (deer/elk/sheep/etc.) natural predators, yes hunting is now needed.

That being said, there are good hunters and bad hunters.

Good hunters respect the animals they hunt and the land they hunt on. They follow the rules and regulations. If populations start to decline, they stop hunting those populations.

Bad hunters are just bad. I don't even care to knw their reasons.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion
reply to post by Jkd Up

The need for regulation comes into play when their isnt balance in the circle of life. To much land taken away from one animal, over production of another animal and so on and so on.

We need to regulate because nature is out of balance.

But WE are the ones who put the balance out... That does not give us the right to rebalance it...

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
in areas with high deer population and no hunting (IE. state parks) a Cull has to be done every so often to thin out the heard. Kill some of the sickly ones so their genes don't spread and mess up the heard. It sounds very Hitlerish, but for the sake of the quality of the animals, it needs to be done. Natural selection usually works, but where man has created an unreal environment he has to fix his mistakes. Obviously I am pro hunting, but I am very much against killing for sport alone. I think that any animal taken should be eaten by the hunter and nothing should be killed for the sake of killing. Hunting is a valuable skill. Should things ever go very wrong, a hunter may be the difference between bean sprouts or a fat steak. I hate bean sprouts.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Definitely needed.
When I was living up in Michigan in farm country and the majority of the people decided to sit out one hunting season or another you could definitely tell. You would constantly see dead deer along the side of the road or even in the road. There were just so many of them out there and absolutely nothing in the area that preys on them other than us.
My entire family would hunt every year and have a massive freezer full of venison to last us year round. Hell one of the main snacks we usually brought out with us while hunting was venison jerky from our previous kills. The smaller sized racks were saved and used as rattlers or given away to others to use as rattlers to attract the larger bucks to the area rather than taking out all the young bucks, spikes(illegal some places I think), or doe. Even the hides were usually given to one of the local meat processors to use for whatever they felt like.
So nothing was wasted, and it was a good way to keep people from totaling their cars every winter with herds of deer running in the roads.

edit on 15-9-2010 by aleria because: spelling

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Hunting is definitely needed.

In some areas people still depend on hunting for their food.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Like others have said....with no predators, some game animals will multiply like rabbits.

On the flip side, with all the feral cats and dogs ect in the wild, ground nesting birds have been decimated. We have have to buy and bring our own quail and pheasants to hunt on our property. We have tried to "stock" our area, but they can't reproduce with so many litter "varmints" around. They eat all the young and eggs.

That's what is so worrisome to Great Lakes anglers with the Asian Carp getting here. They are big vacuum cleaners, eating everything and not leaving food for the native species. They dominate any body of water they get into.... it will be horrible news if they gain a foothold in the Great Lakes.

Where man has been, it's almost inevitable that hunting will be required. We tend to upset the whole food chain where we go.

top topics

join