It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

France says full-face veils and gypsies out

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 03:19 AM
link   
It seems that France is taking a radical stand on what will be permitted in their country. Thank you, says Brigitte Bardot.

Full-face veils out - I totally agree on this one because a full-face veil can hide criminals.

Gypsies out? What have gypsies done to hurt France?

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Gypsies were one of the groups persecuted by Nazis.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknows

I believe, living in France, that the cabinet is using the expulsion of the Roma to divert attention from the trouble it is in. The financial police hve raided the offices of the President and there is uproar regarding the funding it received during the election campaign.

They knew that deporting the Roma would cause as stir, and that that in itself would divert attention. The French are past masters at this tactic. De Gaul was a master. If you believed half of what he said, the Allies had nothing to do with the liberation of France during WW2.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLoneArcher

Thanks for that, Lone.

It is a shame that the Roma are victims yet again.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   
I am horrified by this. Roma/Gypsies have the RIGHT to travel just as people have the right to settle. It is their way of life.

The French government are absolutely DISGUSTING and I will never set food in that forsaken land of theirs while they mistreat fellow human beings the way they do all because their way of life is different to theirs.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   
I'm half Romani, I live in the states and my family has settled during the depression but we still keep our roots in our lifestyles. It's sad to see the Roma being persecuted, even though I can understand the perspective of "they beg, steal, and are dirty" which offends me but I've never lived the stereotypical lifestyle as Roma is a race instead of only a life style (even though I've seen people argue, but they're wrong, tell that to my family) so I can't say I feel their pain. I believe everyone has the right no live everywhere as long as your a civil person.

On the contrary, my family that moved to the states became rich during the depression by running a carnival. With the mood of that era, when a carnival came to town everyone would come to the carnival to raise their spirits.

edit on 15-9-2010 by elfulanozutan0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   

The French are always the first one's to criticize other for being intolerant and then dont even live up to there own standards. History is again repeating itself with the French. But knowing the French they will just try and point the finger somewhere else. The are allies to know one not even themselves.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by elfulanozutan0

That is so great, elf.

I am glad your family is rich and made it.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 04:46 AM
link   
I work with French engineers every day. It is so typical of them. As soon as a problem arises, the first thing they say is not Okay, so how can we fix this?" but "It is not my fault. Someone else must have caused it." This has been their attitude throughout history. It is a shame, as on a one to one basis, away from politics, work etc. I find them very pleasant. Hell, I even married one. Errrr, French woman, not man. Thought I should make that fact clear. LOL

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Now you think this is bad. Pray the Le Penn's French National Party do not come to power. You will see pretty much every foriegn national expelled from France. Some people in France describe him as the French Hitler. The problem is that his party is gaining support.

As a foreign national living in France, I hope that he never comes to power.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLoneArcher

What is it about the French?

They are arrogant.

They always think they are right.

Sorry, if there are any French people here who do not think that.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   

So are most people. You could say that about the americans or the germans. I would call the canadians and New Zealanders smug.

edit on 15/9/2010 by christianpatrick because: make sense.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 06:35 AM
link   

It is in their blood. Half the time, they are not even aware of it. The times my wife and I have argued over this issue. She is not as bad as some French people, but she does find it hard to admit it when she is wrong. Others will swear the black is white, even when it is staring them in the face.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by christianpatrick

Thanks, you made me laugh.

But the French are beyond the American arrogance.

The French have arrogance down to a T.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I am ignoring all generalizations that have passed so far about the French people.

As for the reason France is banning these things:

Nicolas Sarkozy, the French president, has promoted the bill as a measure to protect Muslim women from being forced to wear the all-enshrouding veil, which he has described as "not welcome"

While...

Muslim women argue that such a law would force them to stay at home so as to avoid showing their faces in public.

French senate passes face-veil ban

That is the discussion that should be held here...!!

I believe that women who are forced into wearing these things are not served by banning this piece of clothing. How are you going to help people help them self if you cannot reach them??

Peace

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   

I am horrified by this. Roma/Gypsies have the RIGHT to travel just as people have the right to settle. It is their way of life. The French government are absolutely DISGUSTING and I will never set food in that forsaken land of theirs while they mistreat fellow human beings the way they do all because their way of life is different to theirs.

German here, In germany we have the same problems with Roms, they kill, rape, begs , steal, attack peoples and most of thems are not goin to jail because they're too young for it and they know it, so they are left free

If you want thems, we can send thems to you, let see what you gonna say once they stole your car, beated your daughter and stole your son's ipod

I have the right to walk peacefuly in MY city without getting robbed , is that a crime, is that some racism ?

edit on 15-9-2010 by OTTOKARMA because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

You have a valid point, which is why I have avoided that issue and concetrated on the Roma issue.

However, to be honest, I think I can safely say that, during my 7 years living in Toulouse, I have only ever seen 2 full face veils.

edit on 15/9/2010 by TheLoneArcher because: I am sick of giving spelling as a reason. Edited due to global warming.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknows
Gypsies out? What have gypsies done to hurt France?

Nothing.

The general populace of any country has to have a ''hate figure'' that they can attack, so as to not acknowledge, or admit to, their own shortcomings .

It tends to be a bunch of losers attempting to shift the blame from their own shortcomings, on to some ''bogeyman'' group of people. Unfortunately, in this instance, it happens to be the Roma, who are the targets of this unintelligent prejudice.

edit on 15-9-2010 by Sherlock Holmes because: Added text.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   
My sister's husband's mother use to tell me stories about the gypsies.

When they came to town, people would have to really watch their animals and other possessions very closely.

The gypsies would steal anything not nailed down.

That is how they survived, by stealing..............people at the turn of the century would litterally shutter their windows and bring their smaller animals inside while someone would have to stand guard in the barn all night with a shot gun for fear of losing their cattle.

Normally while I am not in agreement with persecuting any group, Grandma as I fondly called her said the gypsies were a real gang like bunch of thieves. They refused to work and would steal and murder in order to survive. They were very lawless, lazy and ruthless bunch.

Just old stories I remember told to me 45 years back.

edit on 15-9-2010 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join