It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So You Wanna Fight? ATS Debate Tournament (Tournament Update)

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
...my apologies for the faux paus...

Hey, is that a back handed stab at Fox?

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

you will be doing fine mindcrime
just ask memoryshock how intemidated i have been before my first debate - asking him all the questions
and being scared because of the language :lol.

but you are right
it is a pleasure to read the debates and sometimes i am not sure if it is such a good idea to win
- i mean who will be your opponent then, one of those high classed well phrasing guys

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Just wondering as an interested and hopeful observer,

Have any debates started yet?

It's been a while and didn't know if the debates were only visible to Mods and the debators or ..what.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

It has begun:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by orange-light

I have to admit, I felt quite intimidated before starting my first debate as well (it is against Skyfloating after all, so can you blame me?
) but it's turned out to be sooooo much fun! I'd seriously recommend you at least try it once operation mindcrime. Whatever the topic is, I'm sure you'll just have a blast.

edit on 30-10-2010 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Yeah, the language barrier is my biggest concern! In my native language people always ask me to cut my sentences in half and to stop using "expensive" words. On ATS I am still struggling with the difference between "then" / "than", "to" / "too".....

I am confident that I will figure this out though.

Thanks for the support orange-light.

Peace

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Just so you guys know, I will be scarce today. I'm hitting up a job fair in a couple hours then a halloween party that won't be over till I wake up in my truck feeling sick tomorrow morning. I'll try to check in between the two events.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
For anyone interested: A debate discussion thread has been started in the Off-topic discussion section. (not by me though)

Might be worth checking out is all..
edit on 30-10-2010 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by orange-light
reply to post by operation mindcrime

you will be doing fine mindcrime
just ask memoryshock how intemidated i have been before my first debate - asking him all the questions
and being scared because of the language :lol.

but you are right
it is a pleasure to read the debates and sometimes i am not sure if it is such a good idea to win
- i mean who will be your opponent then, one of those high classed well phrasing guys

Considering you are not a native English speaker I think you are doing fantastic!

I don't think too many people in the United States would speak German as good as you do English!

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

thanks proto

actually i am from germany and if my old english teacher would see me now she wouldn.t believe it

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Guten Abend verstehe ich und spreche ein Deutsch und hat Ihr Land vielmals, gut besucht, Sie hier zu sehen.

Wird Sie sehen

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by orange-light

thanks proto

actually i am from germany and if my old english teacher would see me now she wouldn.t believe it

Well great job, I think your English Teacher would be very proud of you. I know I sure would not have a chance in participating on a foreign language forum let alone a debate on one and provide such an excellent account and showing.

Outstanding work!

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   

thanks proto
your kind words are much appreciated

i am not sure if she would be proud - coz she always marked me with an D or F - and some girls in my class used to talk more english a day than german - and she never marked them better than a B.
she was a catholic nun and a bit strange in that regard

and debating - i don.t think she would have thought them to be necessary

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   

The Socratic Debate Rule is in effect.
When asked a question, a debater must give a straight forward answer in his next post.

What happens if a debater fails to answer a clearly labeled socratic question? As in...ignores it completely? Presumably it was simply a careless mistake, and I assume it's not grounds for disqualification...but I don't get the impression there's any sort of formal scoring system involved in the judging process, so I don't see how there's any consequence for breaking the rule.

Shall I simply point out my opponent ignored a question and let the judges decide what to do about it? How is this handled?

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

Whoops, you are right, I did miss the 3rd Question. sorry bout that.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Since in this case it was caught almost immediately and there isn't much chance of this debate holding up the conclusion of the round, I would be willing to accept an answer to the missed question by U2U and edit it onto the end of the last post. After I do so, I will post in the thread to create a new time stamp, which will be the start point for the 24 hour reply window.

Usually missed SQs either get addressed later in the debate or are simply considered by the judges for reasons of practicality, but especially with a mutual agreement that the question was missed by mistake it seems preferable that the answer be added so that the debate does not hinge on a technical oversight.

If either competitor objects to this solution, please inform me immediately.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   

edit on 1-11-2010 by rajaten because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Guess who will be cleaning up the ATS cafeteria this week....

peace

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by The Vagabond

If either competitor objects to this solution, please inform me immediately.

No objection. I can wait.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

Thank you for your leniency on this matter.

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join