It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The linguistic cconspiracy of Kansas

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Arkansas has the word Kansas in its name. It would read , phonetically speaking, as AR-CAN-SAW.

But Kansas is pronounced CANS-US.

So according to the linguistic rule either Arkansas should be pronounced AR-CANS-US or Kansas should be pronounced CAN-SAW. But it cannot be both. Kansas cannot have Arkansas' cake and eat it too.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Sorry if that's off topic, but I think it's only slightly so, and well worth the watch anyhow.

[edit on 9/5/2010 by abecedarian]

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by dragonsmusic

One kept the French pronunciation, the other didn't.
www.randomhouse.com...

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pauligirl

www.randomhouse.com...

Mods move this to Hoax...no conspiracy here.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 02:21 AM
link   

www.randomhouse.com...

Those darn Frenchies, always messin' with American culture!

From now on I'm calling Arkansas Freedom-kansas.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 02:41 AM
link   
And here I thought this was going to be a spectacular thread utilising a deconstructive approach to everyday words and how they are used to control the masses.

Needless to say I'm a little disappointed.

Not even a silent G in sight or nuffink'.

-m0r

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by m0r1arty

Awe, c'mon. We haven't yet reached California where residents of "Concord" pronounce it like "conquered" and "San Rafael" is pronounced like "San Rafell".

Heck, my brother was in the navy and he can't tell me why "boatswain" is pronounced "bosun" and "forecastle" is pronounced "focsle" or "foke-sull".

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by abecedarian

Sorry if that's off topic, but I think it's only slightly so, and well worth the watch anyhow.

Gallagher the linguist. Always interesting to watch him, thanks.

[edit on 5-9-2010 by dragonsmusic]

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   

www.randomhouse.com...

I see. That is really interesting, thanks. The phonetic inconsistency is truly strange, and nobody seems to care.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Endtime Warrior

www.randomhouse.com...

So I guess stealing French words and then pronouncing them with Anglican tonality makes perfect sense to you?
I guess you think there is no linguistic atrocity in two states in the same region having nearly identical spellings while one holds it's original French pronunciation and the other has an Anglican pronunciation?

Mods, move Kansas to France where it can be pronounced correctly.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by LifeInDeath

www.randomhouse.com...

It's actually the other way around. The French is the original pronunciation. The Anglican twist is what makes it different.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by m0r1arty
And here I thought this was going to be a spectacular thread utilising a deconstructive approach to everyday words and how they are used to control the masses.

Needless to say I'm a little disappointed.

Not even a silent G in sight or nuffink'.

-m0r

Yes, because it makes perfect sense to look at this title and immediately jump to the conclusions that Kansas was actually an acronym, that it held satanic meaning, and that the word could be used as a template for showing how TPTB control the minds of the masses. I mean most people think about aliens landing and wandering lizard people when they hear the word "Kansas" don't they...

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by dragonsmusic

Originally posted by LifeInDeath

www.randomhouse.com...

It's actually the other way around. The French is the original pronunciation. The Anglican twist is what makes it different.

How about considering how the Algonquin and Quapaw pronunciation influenced the French, with the Native emphasis on the first syllable "Ar", then consider how, often in French, a trailing "s" is silent?
Then consider how Kansas is named after the Kansa tribe, which emphasises the first syllable "Kan".
Oddly, seems both native names stress, or emphasize the first syllable.

Could it not be that the different pronunciations come from the states having differing Native American tribes inhabiting them and thus appear simliar yet have different origins and pronunciation?

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   

www.randomhouse.com...

So I guess stealing French words and then pronouncing them with Anglican tonality makes perfect sense to you?

Yes it does. Speak english or die!

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   

www.randomhouse.com...

Yes it does. Speak english or die!

How open minded of you. That's nice.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

Indeed , Abe, there is a lot going on here. The Native American pronunciation, the French pronunciation, and then the Anglican variation on said hybrid. Thanks for your reply.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   

You serious? You have no idea how openminded I am. I am joking because I find your post to be a joke, but apparently you are adamant that their is some sort of conspiracy going on. I had no idea this was what some people spend there time thinking about. What do you propose that we do with the English language then? You know, the one language that doesn't seem to follow it's own rules and makes them up as they go?

[edit on 9/5/2010 by The Endtime Warrior]

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   

You serious? You have no idea how openminded I am. I am joking because I find your post to be a joke, but apparently you are adamant that their is some sort of conspiracy going on. I had no idea this was what some people spend there time thinking about. What do you propose that we do with the English language then? You know, the one language that doesn't seem to follow it's own rules and makes them up as they go?

[edit on 9/5/2010 by The Endtime Warrior]

I know exactly what you are like from your posts on this thread. Your silly joke wasn't met with any respect because it didn't deserve any, and now you want to be a jerk and write about how my post is a "joke" instead of being an adult and admitting that English is extraordinarily flawed and that the prescriptive rules need to be examined by the collective, or simply moving on to another thread like a mature person would do.

What a noble warrior spirit you have , Endtime Warrior, so tough behind the keyboard.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Truthfully....I posted a response to this while being under the influence. I even forgot that I did...so consider it poor judgment. When I said your post was a "joke" I wasn't implying that you were a "joke" I thought you were trying to be funny, guess I was wrong. I've not attacked you once, as a person, so please keep that in mind.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Truthfully....I posted a response to this while being under the influence. I even forgot that I did...so consider it poor judgment. When I said your post was a "joke" I wasn't implying that you were a "joke" I thought you were trying to be funny, guess I was wrong. I've not attacked you once, as a person, so please keep that in mind.

Brother/sister, it's cool. I've done that before myself
, but I try not to now. Thanks for writing that. I know you were not attacking me. Peace.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join