It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Second super-fast flip of Earth's poles found

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by CUin2013?

You have a number of misunderstandings about the Earth it seems.

First off, a round earth was not a pseudoscience a short while back. That is a myth. The ancient Greeks knew the Earth was round. So please fix that mistake.

The weather is not strange. Earthquakes are not more common. Volcanic activity is not increasing. There are no weird magnetic anomalies. So please fix those mistakes, too.

So now you want to know how to tell the difference between a TPW and a magnetic reversal. They are actually quite different. Since you realize that you do not understand these concepts I recommend going to the library and getting a book on an introduction to geology and reading it or taking an intro course at a college.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
This is it. It's really gonna happen. The dusty,dry road is about to split. Some of us will take the fork where the scenery looks familiar, knowing deep inside that we've been down this path before. Some of us will choose the unfamiliar path, remembering Truth didn't live on the other lane. If you don't know which way to go,listen to the inner voice, harken to it's call. Point your steps toward the bright,shining light upon the horizon. May your feet find easy ground. May warm breezes gently aid your journey. May cool, clean waters dispell your thirst. Remember that you will eventually figure it all out and your destination will no longer ellude you. PEACE

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

Links? Looks like you need to fix a few things.

When Columbus sailed he was warned that the world was flat and if he sailed too far he would sail off. I learned that in 2nd grade.

I have had enough college, too.
Have you?

No misunderstandings here, I have lived on earth quite a while, thank you very much.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   

When Columbus sailed he was warned that the world was flat and if he sailed too far he would sail off. I learned that in 2nd grade.

That is exactly what I am talking about. That's a nonsense story. Since Hellenistic times people were using astrolabes. It is a navigation tool for people living on a round earth.

Columbus' problem was not that he thought that the Earth was flat. He knew it was round, but thought the Earth is smaller than it was. That's why he set off for the Far East with only a month of provisions. Had he not bumped into land when he did he and his crew would probably have died due to lack of food and water.

So you went to college. Good for you. Now you can fix some of the bad education you have received. It's a shame that no one corrected the flat earth myth passed off to you in second grade. If you got a 4 year degree it means that in 14 years no one fixed your second grade teacher's blunder.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Seems you are very easy to agitate.

Looks like I got my no, no, no, no after all.

Four years? Ha, that would have been easy.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
For someone that comes into a lot of 2012 threads to debunk them, you sure don't like people disagreeing with you.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Remember, a round earth was pseudoscience a short while back.

No it wasn't. Even the Greeks knew that the Earth is round and despite what you were told in History class, most of Medieval Europe knew the Earth was round as well.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Velikovsky put this information out decades ago...and was laughed at. Much later, he was seen to have had some wisdom.

go figure.

Everything from the "flash frozen" mastadons, global floods, and pole shifts to vast wind storms that destroyed all in their wake.

I read this guy years ago and I'm now begining to see the truth for myself.

Maybe this is some of the reason for the stories of Nibiru?

www.unmuseum.org...

According to Velikovsky's work ,somewhere in the eighth century B.C., the Venus comet pushed Mars out of its proper orbit and into a close encounter with Earth. This caused earthquakes to shake the world: "Both the poles shook," wrote one observer at around 747 B.C. "and Atlas (who according to legend carried the Earth on his back) shifted the burden of the sky...The sun vanished and rising clouds obscured the heavens..." The year shortened and ancient astrologers were forced to develop a new calender.

Finally, after many years of causing catastrophes on Earth, Venus and Mars settled into their current near-circular orbits.

Velikovsky's theories didn't fit in at all with modern astrophysics and he was criticized by most scientists. They saw his work as just another crackpot theory. And they had quite a bit of evidence to refute it.

A few scientists weren't satisfied to duke it out with Velikovsky in the marketplace of ideas, though. They made the blunder of putting pressure on Velikovsky's publisher not to publish "Worlds in Collision" as a part of the company's textbook series.

When this became known, public sympathy shifted toward Velikovsky, increasing his popularity. He was a persuasive author and many began to believe in his theories. Isaac Asimov, a Velikovsky critic (and not a bad wordsmith himself) once wrote: "He is an interesting writer. It's fun to read his books. I have read every book he has published and hope to read any he writes in the future. Although he doesn't lure me into accepting his views, I can well see where those less knowledgeable in the fields Velikovsky deals with would succumb."

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by felonius

Velikovsky has not been seen to have had some wisdom. At time passes his suggestions are seen to be even more impossible.

There are no "flash frozen" mastodons. There have been no global floods. Pole shifts, better known as TPWs, are slow events and have no happened in 200My.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Looks like some of you are having some trouble with flat earth vs round earth as an analogy of main stream science vs non main stream science.

Lets try this - in the time of Fred and Barney, the main stream scientists thought that a square wheel was the best, most technological way to travel. Anyone with a round wheel was ridiculed. The non mainstream scientists knew that they had created a better wheel (round) because they had verified empirical evidence that included a better, more comfortable ride and a faster car. They were unperturbed because they knew they were right and eventually the main stream scientists would have to admit that round was the way to go.

So, I guess I will use square wheel vs round wheel from now on.

Hope the helps.

CU

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist
reply to post by felonius

Velikovsky has not been seen to have had some wisdom. At time passes his suggestions are seen to be even more impossible.

There are no "flash frozen" mastodons. There have been no global floods. Pole shifts, better known as TPWs, are slow events and have no happened in 200My.

That would be the no, no, no, no.

Stereo, open your eyes and maybe your mind will follow.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarf

The article neither states nor implies any connection to 2012 but rather comments on on a discovery that was observed. You're dismissing the entire article solely because the OP placed it in the 2012 forum to possible fit their agenda? This would have been better placed in a different forum in my opinion. You're taking the information you want while disregarding other information to form your own conclusion fitting your beliefs. Who want the "facts" to fit the fever? Yeah, that's science.

I "could" suggest that you "might" not have read the actual article but instead you possibly decided to form your opinion and reply based only on the information that you chose to read OR I can simply state that you don't know what's going on. It's your choice.

Oh, and last time I checked, 2012 believers think that changes will occur on the Winter Solstice which is on December 21, not December 31. I'm just sayin'...

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by CUin2013?
Looks like some of you are having some trouble with flat earth vs round earth as an analogy of main stream science vs non main stream science.

Lets try this - in the time of Fred and Barney, the main stream scientists thought that a square wheel was the best, most technological way to travel. Anyone with a round wheel was ridiculed. The non mainstream scientists knew that they had created a better wheel (round) because they had verified empirical evidence that included a better, more comfortable ride and a faster car. They were unperturbed because they knew they were right and eventually the main stream scientists would have to admit that round was the way to go.

Hope the helps.

CU

No, no it doesn't help!

It's not that we have trouble "Grasping the analogy", trust me, we get it. The problem is that it's a FALSE analogy because a) The story is not true to begin with, and b) it has no bearing on the present discussion.

You were just WRONG when you said that medieval Europeans thought the world was flat. Now you're trying to back-track by claiming it was all some "metaphor" for your "mainstream" vs "non-mainstream" science analogy, which ALSO makes no sense, and has no validity or bearing on what we are talking about.

How much College did you say you have again?

EDIT - And when, exactly, was the "Time of Fred and Barney"? An estimate will do, if you can't be precise.

[edit on 4-9-2010 by RedBird]

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Using a false story or a bad analogy results in a meaningless statement.

The OP is about an event that you misunderstood when you thought it was what the pseudosciences refer to as a pole shift. Pole shifts do happen and are referred to in the literature as TPWs. They are slow events taking millions of years to transpire.

The event you linked to is a magnetic reversal and does not happen instantly as suggested by pseudosciences. If you bothered to learn about paleomagnetism you might have some grasp as to what is being studied.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   

I've read Velikovsky's Worlds in Collision. Much of what he claims is not true. His predictions are almost 100% wrong. He made hundreds of predictions and almost every one was wrong.

I noticed you have made no effort whatsoever to substantiate any of your claims. That's no surprise. You probably know that they are all baloney.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   

I'm curious about there not being any flash frozen mastodons. I distinctly recall reading about them in what I believe was a reliable source years ago. Was this credibly debunked since then?

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedBird

Originally posted by CUin2013?

Hope the helps.

CU

No, no it doesn't help!

It's not that we have trouble "Grasping the analogy", trust me, we get it. The problem is that it's a FALSE analogy because a) The story is not true to begin with, and b) it has no bearing on the present discussion.

You were just WRONG when you said that medieval Europeans thought the world was flat. Now you're trying to back-track by claiming it was all some "metaphor" for your "mainstream" vs "non-mainstream" science analogy, which ALSO makes no sense, and has no validity or bearing on what we are talking about.

How much College did you say you have again?

EDIT - And when, exactly, was the "Time of Fred and Barney"? An estimate will do, if you can't be precise.

[edit on 4-9-2010 by RedBird]

Do you have a link?

I do - Myth of the flat earth

The 1937 popular song, They All Laughed contains the couplet "They all laughed at Christopher Columbus/When he said the world was round".

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by PPGrocks

As far as the magnetic fields go if or should i say when they flip it will not be as a unit.

What i mean is you can have 20 North(magnetic) poles as we are seeing today at the far um... i think south where there is one spot that the magnetic fields is in reverse.

This will (at minimum) make all the compasses worthless and it can/will open us up to more solar radiation. But it may have other effects such as earthquakes volcanic activity and storms.

But as far as pin pointing it to 2012 no one can do that it could happen in 2012 or 2057 we have no way of knowing.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
How much college? Obviously more than you.

That would be the time of the Flintstones, btw.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Wow. What a pathetic effort to misrepresent.

From your link:

The myth of the Flat Earth is the modern misconception that the prevailing cosmological view during the Middle Ages saw the Earth as flat, instead of spherical

This is the device which was used in navigation for 2000 years because people knew the Earth was not flat.
Astrolabe

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join