It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fill your car for free?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Found this story on a car running on vegetable oil. Just wondering if these conversion kits are so readily accesable why aren't we all running out to buy diesel powered cars.

I work on diesel engines and this does work, the first diesel ever buit ran on coal dust, they have been modified to run on all types of vegetable oils.

Sorry if this is a repost but I did search it

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 12:03 PM
link   
A friend of mine drove across Australia on vegetable oil, using an old land-rover.

It can work very well, but I've heard that advanced turbo diesel engines with electronic fuel management, etc. can suffer if you don't get the mix of diesel and the additive just right. I think it's not suitable for ALL diesel engines.

I love my new diesel. 55-65 mpg, 120mph, 0-60 in 10 seconds in comfort. What more can a person ask for?

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 12:11 PM
link   
This has been discussed before. The company is Greasecar and here are some FAQs: www.greasecar.com... . One thing to keep in mind is that you have to have a supply of oil available. Not hard if you consider all the restaurants that use vegetable oil in their fryers. Challenging however, since you can't always forecast when you may need to stop by the restaurant to top your tank off.

If this takes off I see vegetable oil reclamation becoming big. There's a buck to be made in having a huge vat of veggie oil out front for people to load up on.

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 12:12 PM
link   
If they made a convertor for unleaded engines I'd be interested. I know the company is working on a convertor but I'm not sure what for and I don't follow them closely to be honest.

Has anyone heard of anything similar for non-diesel engines?

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by titian
If they made a convertor for unleaded engines I'd be interested. I know the company is working on a convertor but I'm not sure what for and I don't follow them closely to be honest.

Has anyone heard of anything similar for non-diesel engines?

Not quite the same but there is this It isn't a alternative fuel but it greatly reduces emmisions and increases power. As of right now it is only for highway trucks but they are working on a platform for cars.

[edit on 21-6-2004 by echosounder]

join