It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Electricity collected from the air could become the newest alternative energy source

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by peck420

Dude. You're talking about the sun. You know, the thing that could fit a million Earths in it?

You're talking about thousands of years before we even come close to worrying about it.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by xxshadowfaxx

Much of tesla's work was suppressed,
this technology is old,if everyone could make their own power the corporations would suffer,we cant have that now can we!

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Will never happen.
Yes Nicola Tesla was the first to produce electricty from the (A)ether. Thomas Henry Moray accomplished this also. I think he has 2 patents? You can do a little research and see Moray did an experiment in the Utah desert in front of about 100 people and produced about 50,000 kilowatts of electricty. There were multiple attempts on his life.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

Actually solar panels are undergoing a revolution.

The new cells can be printed by something similar to a computer printer.

The new cells can be made for less than $1 a watt, but they do not
have as good a level of power density.

www.nanosolar.com...

www.popularmechanics.com...

I still think there are better option for power generation thou, but
these are good to investigate for other reasons.

Solar Thermal has less electrical components and holds the record
for solar efficiency and cost and will be hard to beat.

Cold Fusion has been experimentally confirmed.

www.eetimes.com...

Dense Plasma Focus is closest to Fusion and makes the most sense.

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 26-8-2010 by Ex_MislTech]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by peck420

For now I will stick with solar and thermal.

Solar Thermal can be pretty awesome.

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

Power Tower designs are in the lead right now because you do
not need miles of the high dollar glass tubing used in the trough types.

Mirrors are pretty cheap to make, just need some trigonometry
and some servo motors to control the mirrors.

For power storage you can use molten salt.

I think the game changers will be the two techs I mentioned in
my prior post thou, Dense Plasma focus Fusion, and Cold Fusion
that has now been experimentally confirmed thru a peer review.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by blujay
reply to post by starstrings

Back at the end of '08 a channeling from a trusted source was asked where to invest for the future. The ascended masters said new energy research (mostly quantum physics related) and new agricultural research.

These new companies that sprout up are going to be so important for the future of humanity on this planet.

You are right about this.

One of the food techs discovered and merged was a combination
of Aquaculture and Hydroponics.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

They found fish that like to eat plants, and plants that grow well off
the nutrients made from fish poop in the water.

So it created a food producing loop.

They grew 1 million lbs of food over 360 days in Wisconsin using
no heat by using the heat from compost in a greenhouse on 3 acres.

If 2 lbs a day feeds the average person then this method could
in numerical theory feed 7 billion ppl using a land mass the size
of west virginia.

Of course it makes a lot more sense to grow the food where the ppl are,
and reduce shipping of most goods to a minimum just for conservation
of energys sake.

The discover is amazing to me, and makes me think that no one
on earth need starve now, and it uses 10 times less water.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I am not a meteorologist or anything, but I wonder if the electricity in the air plays a roll in how air currents and high/low pressure systems interact? If the air's electricity plays a part in any of that, then it would be bad to strip the air of its electricity, BUT, lighting strikes have an INSANE amount of energy that if properly harvested could be a nice offset to buff existing sources.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by peck420
reply to post by Gorman91

And as with all energy sources humanity has found, we start with taking a cup...then we adjust our lifestyles until we maximize production and consumption.

If humanity found a new source of cheap electricity, how long do you think it would take to change ALL of our home usage to electricity?

40, maybe 50 years, and you would be talking 4-5 times increase per person not including vehicles....this is just changing household items to electric vs gas. (Hot water tanks, furnaces, stoves, barbeques, etc.)

I think how cheap the power is would determine the speed of adoption.

In other words if a man designed a tiny dense plasma focus that
could make a power plant at a cost of $60 a Kilowatt then you would
see adoption so fast it would dwarf the housing boom.

Imagine electricity cheaper than current nuclear power, for
less than a penny per kilowatt.

Dense Plasma Fusion is set to do this.

Google Video Link

The new energy boom is what it would be called.

Look what the oil boom did in a little over 100 years and it
was VERY labor intensive.

What is about to happen will dwarf the results of oil and
largely why the Neo-malthusians fear it greatly.

Add in vehicle use, and you could be looking at 10-20 times increse in energy consumption...very quickly we start taking more than a cup.

How many times do we have to abuse a system to the point of breaking before we will learn to look at the true root of our energy problem, our USAGE, not our production.

I think that if this new method being worked on happens then we could
see energy usage spike by 1,000 to 1,000,000 times current usage.

The power grid could be dismantled and the miles of copper could
be put back in the system.

The power companies fear this as it would bankrupt them and
lay off millions of ppl.

I think we could see Nuclear Fusion desalination plants and Nuclear
Fusion Hydrogen production.

I think we could see super conducting rail guns tossing cargo into space.

Can't toss humans like that as the G forces would damage their organs.

I think we could see a moon base, a space station at L5 la grange point.

I think we could see a mars base at some point as well.

I think we could see a Nuclear Fusion powered Star ship creating
a gravity well in front of it by massive magnetic manipulation
of what is called the Casimir effect.

en.wikipedia.org...

We are on the verge of the technological singularity that is mentioned
by many brilliant ppl, thou I do not agree with all of their end views.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
For years i had a PVC tube with a couple miles of fine wire wrapped around it and a fluorescent bulb wired in.

If you parked near a high voltage interstate power line and put it up on a pole the fluorescent bulb would light.
greenjersey.org...

It only worked on AC lines. (transformer effect)

One night i was camping and had it set up and the cops rolled up and threatened to arrest me if i did not give them the unit.

They said they had a complaint from the power company that i was stealing power.
To this i said there was no connection so how could i be stealing power.
The cops were not understanding. They took my unit.

I now am working on a model that is small and uses flashing red and blue LEDs.
The big problem is trying to get this unit up hanging from the lighting wire on top of these towers safely.

I expect a lot of UFOs hovering over power line reports if i can get it to work.

I also years ago when i was a EMT had a few call outs for people that had been shocked by old dead phone lines.
these line were just copper plated steel wire run on poles like old telegraph lines.

If nether end was grounded a thief when they grabbed got a massive charge of static electricity.
The wind had imparted a static charge on 5 plus miles of these lines.
the longer the ungrounded line the higher the charge they could hold.

Most of these thieves had no idea what hit them they said they touched the wire and saw a flash and did not remember anything till they woke up.

One guy was climbing the pole and claimed as he reached for the wire a spark about three inches long jumped from the wire and hit his hand. The next thing he remembers is trying to get up off the ground where he landed.

The cops just love to hear these stories.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_MislTech

Why do that though? It takes so much work to create that sort of energy. Why not keep it simple. carbon nanotubes with magnets pushing their valence electrons into the tubes and a powerful laser colliding them and shooting them onto a collector. You suck the energy out of the air, and when you're done using the electrons, the sun re energizes them.

With starship, again too complicated. Keep it simple! Photons are the easiest method to manipulate space time. E=mc^2. Just make a deep gravity well, spin it, and make a bunch of these machines in a ring around your ship. You get a ship inside an ergosphere, inside an event horizon, inside another ergosphere. a ship going a mere 500 mph would, due to temporal distortions, go 50,000 miles per hour.

Don't overcomplicate it when you can do it simple. Indeed there are many ways for ftl travel. But chose the simplest and you will go the furthest.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   

You are right, we are talking about the sun, but we are NOT talking about the entire sun.

We are talking about the minute amount that hits the earth at any one time.

And as Ex_MslTech's post shows, we could very quickly start using far more energy than we should be.

Any time you TAKE there will be a counter balance (a GIVE), when dealing with things that can literally end life on Earth in a short period, I will always choose to err on the side of caution.

Lightning is a vital part of our atmosphere, drawing little bits may not matter, once you start trying to power humanity on it.....

Ex_MslTech, nice approach to the level of power consumption, now add in about a thousand things we can't even imagine yet, because they aren't even pheasable with current power sources.

Btw, solar+thermal = fairly efficeint stirling setup in my garage.
Now if only I could actually get the dual metre to "legally" produce electricity

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
It's a threat to national security.If this falls into the hand of Islamicalists,they will use it as a WMD on American soil,because like French people they hate our freedomses.

Anyway, where would we put the meter?

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by starstrings

Ahh, Tesla patented a 'radiant energy collection device' of polished plates & coils tuned to the ELF region, where most electrical energy oscillates in our atmosphere.
He calculated that the Earth is charged to some 20 Gv-plenty of energy!
Of course it's related to the water cycle & weather patterns, he knew that, too

"Technology has come a long way since the 1900's"
Yes, mostly backwards, i'm afraid........

[edit on 26-8-2010 by playswithmachines]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by peck420

We should not dedicate to any one energy source. That is the problem with that sort of thinking. That said, 15,000x our current energy needs reaches the earth. energy demand has been increasing steadily going back a long time. It is growing faster, yes. That is because of India and China. However, we still see a pretty basic slightly exponential growth. We both can say that if the world's energy demand doubled, or God forbid tripled, the world would be destroyed. But 15,000x? Think about that number.

All of that said, you have to realize something else. Humanity is a viral species. We will always be using more energy than we "should be". The world was never meant to have more than 20,000 Humans on any continent. But we far exceeded that.

The fact remains simply that to be human means to consume more energy than we should.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
www.rexresearch.com...

Russian scientists developed a technique for converting energy from static electricity into electricity, which is commonly used in everyday life.

For this purpose researchers used the so-called “Chizhevsky chandelier”, which produces static electricity from air. A metal plate accumulated particle flow from the chandelier and forwarded it to an accumulating unit through wire. Output electricity was 40 V, but scientists claim they can get more if they need to.

Moreover, reseachers suggest abandoning gasoline, since cars can receive energy for moving from emitting wire, embedded directly into roadbed. Scientists developed similar technology even for air vehicles. Mentioned techniques are patented according legal regulations of the Russian Federation.

[edit on 26-8-2010 by way I man]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   

I think that funding for energy, food, and health

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Sweet. Sounds like big oil is gonna have to shut these guys down or buy the patents out.

A Tesla quote comes to mind, "Throughout space there is energy. Is this energy static or kinetic! If static our hopes are in vain; if kinetic — and this we know it is, for certain — then it is a mere question of time when men will succeed in attaching their machinery to the very wheelwork of nature."

I wish I could be alive for this period of time, when 'fossil fuels' will be a primitive history.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by drsmooth23
I am not a meteorologist or anything, but I wonder if the electricity in the air plays a roll in how air currents and high/low pressure systems interact? If the air's electricity plays a part in any of that, then it would be bad to strip the air of its electricity, BUT, lighting strikes have an INSANE amount of energy that if properly harvested could be a nice offset to buff existing sources.

Lightning has one very important function i know of, creating ozone. I think we need to be cautious and do a lot more research on the role of lightning in our atmosphere before we start messing with it.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by starstrings

but it also reduces the chance of dangerous lightening strikes!

Not sure what you fully mean by that, but lightning strikes are an integral part of nature and reducing them is not a good thing. Hell it part of the nitrogen fixation process, not a huge amount but its still a part of it.

As others have mentioned, lets harness em on the way down (or up)... im sure one or two directed strikes arent going to be missed :p .

But dont expect this to ever get off the ground.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join