It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video File Conversion Help!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I recorded a clip on my phone and the format is MP4... I have tried uploading to youtube but every time I try it fails.... No worries I thought, I'll convert it to another format
Yeah right

I tried a few free online video converters... all just crap.
So I downloaded a couple..... seemed to be ok.... but when the Video had converted, the clip was always out of synch and way too short.

The clip is 78.9mb in size and runs for 3:49 secs and none of the free software converted it into it's correct size/length.
Granted, It's probably me and my complete lack of knowledge regarding bitrate and FPS and codec and so on....

Soooooo

Can anyone help?

I can play it through real-player on my Laptop, but not Windows Media Player as it can't play MP4's for some reason, and windows movie maker doesn't even locate it on my laptop.... doesn't even acknowledge it exists, But I really want to upload it to youtube.

Does anyone know a way to make this possible?

Free (good) software or a site that does it online for free.

Can anyone help with settings, perhaps it's all to do with that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

[edit on 18/8/10 by blupblup]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure windows movie maker can load mp4 files. Just load up the video file, edit it if you feel like it needs any editing, and publish to your computer.

After that it should be fine to upload

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Falken

Windows doesn't actually play MP4 files for some reason and the file is not in my videos when I try and import through windows movie maker, It's just not there (although it is when I look in my videos?)...... tried everything on my laptop.... need some kind of external converter.... I think?

[edit on 18/8/10 by blupblup]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Here you go

media-convert.com...

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

I'm pretty sure movie maker loads mp4 files, all the videos from my camera are in mp4 format and i edit them in movie maker all the time, so maybe its just your software? or it could be mine, who knows

[edit on 18-8-2010 by Falken]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by makeitso

Yeah tried that one and it ended up freezing..... cheers anyway.

Also as I said, I'm not sure of the settings to select which may affect it.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Falken

Yeah I don't know what's up with it?

I've taken vids on my camera before too and It's been fine.... and on my phone and now for some reason it wont do it.

If I look at the videos properties it says It's an MP4.... and I guess it it, but it wont play on windows..... and after a quick search, I found (according to a few sites) that windows doesn't recognise MP4 as a file and wont play them.

Whether that's true as a general rule or whatever I have no idea.... but It wont even find the file in Windows Movie Maker..... and Windows Media player only plays the audio part of it and not the video...

So I have no idea.

Do you know any other way apart from WMM?

[edit on 19/8/10 by blupblup]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Try VLC. It can convert video files if memory serves and I use it instead of WMP for all of my media.

TheAssoc.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

Yes, it's supposed to convert to different formats, but I was never able to convince it to work.

For my format conversions I always use WinFF, I think that only once I could not convert a file with it, and all the videos I upload are converted by myself, that way I can control better the quality of the video.

They even have a portable version that does not need to be installed, just unzipped and used. I just tried it on a virtual machine that could not play mp4 or flv files and it converted a mp4 file into a flv without any problem.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Great, thanks a lot for the help guys, I'll try them out.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Dude..... you are the man!!!

That was EXACTLY what I was looking for.... quick, easy and no pissing around with settings.

I should have just come straight to you.

I can't thank you enough my friend.

You rock

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
I can't thank you enough my friend.

No problem, I'm glad I could help.

You rock

And sometimes I also roll.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

I gotz pwned.

I still like VLC for playing various media files, though. I've never actually tried it for conversions, I just heard it's supposed to work. Oh well.

TheAssoc.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   

VLC is good as a player and is supposed to be able to convert from one format into another (the options are there), but it's not a simple process, and (unless I did something wrong) it doesn't work for all formats.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Awwwwwww you rock too

BUT

Did you try Armap's software?

It's Frickin' amazing.... It took about 3 mins to convert an 80mb video file...
It was so quick and easy that I converted the file into 3 different file-types, Just because I COULD

I appreciate your help too.... My friend said VLC player was good too... he said use it instead of the others I have for my media player.
I may just do that.

Cheers

[edit on 20/8/10 by blupblup]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Hey BlupBlup, thanks for posting this thread! It solved a problem that I hadn't even thougth about trying to fix (porting video from my cell to my PC)!

And thanks to Armap for suggesting WinFF!!! Great bit of software there!

Again and truly, thanks ya'll!!!

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Well I was merely the platform for you to get your answer, Armap is the main man

But I'm glad it helped anyway

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Nah, I haven't tried it yet, but I'll give it a go next time I need to do some conversions. And you rock as well.

TheAssoc.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

I used VLC several times to convert MP4 and FLV clips to OGG and or just to extract the audio part. It works pretty good and I'm glad that it has options to specify exact kbps, frames, etc. Another good application that can handle video conversion is ffmpeg, actually it seems to be the backend for WinFF.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by jovanoti
I used VLC several times to convert MP4 and FLV clips to OGG and or just to extract the audio part.

I don't understand, does it convert from one video format to another or only to audio?

Another good application that can handle video conversion is ffmpeg, actually it seems to be the backend for WinFF.

Yes, WinFF is only a graphical user interface to ffmpeg, and because of that much easier to use than having to remember all the possible command line options.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join