It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Hand account: Florida Beaches Are Polluted With Oil (I was wrong)

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Let's see if I can do this too.

If you could cite your source, that would be just super-duper.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by justadood
I still maintain that an argument can be made that the beaches are probably the best place for the crude to be.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Politically, mixing the oil up so it ends up at the bottom of the food chain, was the smart move. As such, it will kill more life, be impossible to reverse, and enables the government to get back on schedule with taxing us for breathing (carbon credit holocaust).

I agree that the best place for the oil was where we could see it, separate it, and survey the actual extent of the catastrophe. I cannot think of a more stupid thing than to mix it up.

It's important that your elected reps get back with their lives...taxing us, punishing us, lying to us, fornicating with the lobbyists at media central, don't you?

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
corexit is a form of chemical warfare being used around the world.
you can follow the Nalco crooked trail up to goldman sachs
and david rockefeller..the usual suspects.
watch the cancer clusters start popping up.
birth defects..fish kills..maybe the birds need to fall out of the trees
before some people get a sense of this. but this will lead to even more
suffering- Bp is spilling in the arctic, off africa, soon the mediterranean
oil spills off india and china are being sprayed with corexit.
and now mexico will expand deep water drilling..
where will it stop?

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I am sorry being cynic but all the oil that will be found through times to come will all be explain as the 25% of oil that couldn't be recovered.

The fact is the public doesn't know how much oil flow to the ocean.

That will be the US Gov. official explanation!

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Don't despair -- any hard time passes by.
Health to You & Your Family!

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Thank you so much for posting that. That was better than any "official" news report we've been getting from any of the main news networks are all saying "Oh, the oil is gone...what do you know!" They are only reporting what the government press feeds are telling them to say.

Thanks, excellent job.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Come Clean

Hi Come Clean,

As I mentioned before, seaweed is not uncommon, especially in August when we have daily thunderstorms. The water in the video you posted is much more blue, and the beach is much more white. I apologize if the quality of my video from my phone is poor at showing the difference. I have been going to this beach almost every week for many years, and it has never looked like it did yesterday.

I typically swim through the seaweed with no worries. i typically run up and down the beach chasing my dog or the kids, but that was impossible yesterday. I had to watch every step because there were so many fresh shells and crabs littering the beach.

I appreciate your "control video" but trust me, it is vastly different this August than it was last August.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cloudsinthesky
Wow, that’s not what you would expect to see from beaches when 75% of the oil has been recovered..

[edit on 17-8-2010 by Cloudsinthesky]

Contrary to Media reports, They just discovered yesterday 80% of the Oil remains.

A report released Monday by the Georgia Sea Grant and the University of Georgia concludes that up to 79% of the oil released into the Gulf of Mexico from the Deepwater Horizon well has not been recovered and remains a threat to the ecosystem.

The report, authored by five prominent marine scientists, strongly contradicts media reports that suggest that only 25% of the oil from the Deepwater Horizon oil spill remains.

“One major misconception is that oil that has dissolved into water is gone and, therefore, harmless,” said Charles Hopkinson, director of Georgia Sea Grant and professor of marine sciences in the University of Georgia Franklin College of Arts and Sciences. “The oil is still out there, and it will likely take years to completely degrade. We are still far from a complete understanding of what its impacts are.”

www.sustainablebusiness.com...

Here is the Georgia Sea Grant page

oilspill.uga.edu...

Research data and reports here

oilspill.uga.edu...

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Come Clean
I'll show you guys the video from 2009 of a guy digging if you guys provide the chemical analysis of what that black tinted water was. Could it have been broken down seaweed? There seems to be a lot of it on that beach. Is that what caused the discoloration?

I've proved the beach looks the same a year ago as it does today. Now prove that black tinted water was anything other than broken down seaweed.

I will be taking a sample today and sending it into Cloudsinthesky's website project. They will determine for sure if it is oil or seaweed. In the meantime, I guarantee 100% that no matter how seaweedy the beach has ever been, I have never seen tinted water.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Rich Z

Thanks for your response, and I agree that these beaches are much more "natural." They don't have the beachcombers coming through every morning like Panama City and Destin. They are not lined with Condos and million dollar homes, so they are not taken care of quite as well. That is exactly why I frequent these beaches with my kids. I leave St. George, and Panama City for the tourists.

All that said, there have never been this many conch shells on this beach before. Yes many of the did contain hermit crabs, but the conch still had to die. Also, many of them still contained rotting conch. There were some very disoriented and dying horshoe crabs acting erratically along the waters edge. I have never witnessed that before. There were also many horshoe crab shells lying around. That is somewhat normal, except for the volume of them.

I plan to get a water sample from this site, and visit another of my favorite sites this afternoon.

[edit on 18-8-2010 by getreadyalready]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by IgnoranceIsntBlisss
If you could specify which Florida beaches are smeared that would be fantabulous.

There is something on the order of over 1200 miles of beaches in Florida. To say "Florida" beaches" are tarred is dishonest at best. For example the beaches in Clearwater are perfect. This is essentially next in line from the panhandle, while the other side of the state accounts for about half of Florida's beaches.

[edit on 18-8-2010 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

I posted a link to the state park website for this particular beach, along with a map of the area. I also mentioned that it is Bald Point, 20 miles south of Tallahassee, and approximately 50 miles East of Panama City. I also mentioned that it was within a mile and a half or so of Alligator Point.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien
I admire your trust of the officials saying it was okay to swim and I applaud your findings then sharing them with us!

Having not read through all four pages of this thread, I'm not sure if you answered this or not but, what or why do you attribute the beach being oil drenched this week but yet, okay 2 weeks ago? What do you suppose happened in the last two weeks?

I live on the other side (Palm Beach county) and not sure if this is related but only yesterday I saw a lot of orange booms out in the Intracoastal. I've never seen them before but that may be because I wasn't alert to them in the past as I am now, after this oil leak.

Man......I wonder if Earth will ever fully recover from this mess. Obama seems to think so (can you all say "one-term president"?)

I mentioned the passing tropical system. I think it developed into TD 5 when it reached over by Louisianna. It basically popped up right here and then drifted westward.

That system could have driven in the oily water. Maybe it is just the amount of time that has passed, or maybe it is the Gulf Water warming up enough to really disperse the oil.

I don't know exactly what changed over the past 2 weeks, but it was significant.

About 6 weeks ago, we were in Destin. The beach was pristine, but there was the smell of solvent in the air. It cleared up after a week or so, and nobody seemed concerned about it.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Also...

Monitoring for Oil Spill contaminants

The members of the Alligator Point Sea Turtle Patrol, FWC and other monitor the gulf-side beach. If you should sight something believed to be associated with the oil spill, please report your finding to the Franklin County Emergency Management Office at 850-653-8977.

Boom Plan for Alligator and Bald Point

Alligator and Bald Point areas are designated Tier 3 sites, sites that have the highest priority in the Franklin County Boom Contingency Plan. A newly revised boom deployment map for our area will be posted once it gets vetted by the state.

The plan provides for 7000 additional feet of boom.

www.apta-fl.org...

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by maybereal11

Thank You, I am calling right now, and I will offer them my videos as well. I know the sea turtle project is a high priority in this area.

We did see a lot of buoy in the water in unusual areas. I didn't see any boom, but I wonder if the buoys are related to the boom project?

I will post any information I get from that phone number. Thanks again!

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   

OK, I called, I got a recording that said the beaches in this area have not been affected by the Gulf Horizon incident, and please do not spread rumors stating otherwise. It listed another telephone number for the statewide hotline, but it didn't mention that one should leave a message for this area. It did got to a voicemail box, so I left a message anyway. I will let you know if they call me back.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by IgnoranceIsntBlisss
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

If you could provide one single article that mentions oil washing up in Miami that would be stellar.

The human brain is open to suggestion and its easy to assume oil would be there, and then perceive it. Perception isn't always reality.

The beaches in Clearwater are perfect.

The Gulf is HUGE, and the global ocean network makes that gusher look like a nanoparticle.

Like throwing a pebble in a pond, everything has a ripple effect.

The oil and chemicals released into the Gulf are not, let me repeat are not part of the Gulf’s natural ecosystem.

Releasing them into the Gulf is going to have a ripple effect of unknown proportions.

Nature has its own balance, and when something is introduced into an ecosystem whether it’s a pebble into a pond, or millions of gallons of oil and highly toxic chemicals into the Gulf of Mexico it has a real impact.

Now if we all had PHD doctorates in Chemistry, and Oceanography, we would be able to better determine ourselves the things that the unschooled and untrained eye can not see.

If we all had glass houses at the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico we could better determine the things that we can’t see from a limited vantage point.

It is way to early to tell the ripple effect that the oil and chemicals in the Gulf are actually going to have, it takes a while for a ripple to travel. That ripple will likely be traveling in fact all throughout the body the ripple was introduced into and that body would be THE WORLD’S OCEANS and INTERCONNECTED SEAS.

Time will tell, not opinions on ATS.

Thanks.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   

There is a lot of money in play...BP, Gov. Tourism,..it's politics and it's Billions of dollars.

Maybe your area hasn't been affected, but I wouldn't take a telephone recorded message's word for it.

Test the water. Take a couple of samples, not just one. Also take samples of the water recovered from digging in the sand.

Maybe think about how booms work? Pour the water through a coffee filter slowly and see what you get in the filter? What does the residue smell like? Is it flamable?

Given how many times the media and Gov have been wrong on the info., I recommend doing some legwork. Can't hurt and it will either give you peace of mind or open up a can of worms

[edit on 18-8-2010 by maybereal11]

[edit on 18-8-2010 by maybereal11]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
It's very sad to see nature spoiled this way.

To the OP - How long do you think before nature will clean the beaches of this stuff? I'm asking because of your degree in chemistry.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Are you surprised or shocked? This was an oil volcano under the sea that was and still is spewing oil millions upon millions upon millions of gallons. Dispersant's were used and the oil doesn't really look like oil anymore and have actually made the situation a "million times" worse. Sadly its only going to get worse because the whole of the foodchain in the gulf will now be affected and so will life from the top of the bottom of the pyramid. Are you pissed as hell yet?

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
you can not compare this to a normal oil spill.
the dispersant has made the oil mix with the water.
you need to look at the damage in a new way.
this hidden poison hides below the sea.
it will take over a year for the full impact’t to be see.
maybe the sea life will cope with it.
but I think you will see a big die off.
and BP will find a way to blame it on other thing.
with a lot of help from skeptics.
no one can say until a year has past. or sooner.
skeptics all ways look on the bright side.
even when you have $*** in your eyes.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join