It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
anyone read it? It was the first series I read the whole way through and the one that lead me to later read the invisibles & arkham asylum...

personally I thought the depth he brought to those characters was brilliant and the storylines unpredicatable & fascinating, a very entertaining read.

And this is coming from someone who was only ever partially interested in comics.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
You should check out his Batman run which has spanned about four years and threee or four sepreate tiles if you count "52". It's basically an epic tale of Batman confronting a shadowy secret society called "The Black Glove" and it's leader who, according to what theory you believe in, is either his father, twin brother, The Devil, or a lesser demon set loose upon him by Darkseid the God of Evil as punishment for defeating him in "Final Crisis" another Morrison story that tells of the day that "Evil Won".

Well, the day that evil won until Batman got there and then Superman showed up. Then it did not win anymore.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Hmm, I was never quite able to get into Doom Patrol, but now I'm wondering if I should give it another chance.

Speaking of Morrison, I just picked up the Doctor Who Omnibus, which has a few of his ancient stories in there. Pretty good read!

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
you should definitely give doom patrol a go, the grant morrison run anyway.

I would suggest its some of his best work, particularly the stories regarding the girl with the split personalities, or even just the concept of 'danny the street'....crazyness...he touches on many conspiracies in doom patrol, incl. mk-ultra,
along with the invisibles - pretty much everything
& sea-guy slave of mickey eye which is a disney twist on the illuminati conspiracy.....

-B.M

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I've never read Doom Patrol, loved All Star Superman though. But I gotta ask, what is up with British comic writers? I mean every one of them is soaked in Illuminati. Gaiman, Scientologist (in the UK? hadn't heard that one). Alan Moore, uhmm, do I really have to go there? Millar. Ellis wrote Ultimate Nightmare (and other parts of Ultimate Galactus?, not sure, anyway Nightmare was an expansion on the Watchmen aspect of the fake alien invasion causing "satanic ghosts" to inhabit electronic devices (a la Project Blue Beam) (although in Watchmen it was "psychic disturbances"). I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but you get the idea.

edit on 1-10-2010 by jcrash because: spelling

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by jcrash
I've never read Doom Patrol, loved All Star Superman though.
read a little bit of that before, i heard it was supposed to capture the vibe of the original story, in an impossibly 'just' world, fantasitical happyness...?

nearly everything else of his is grim at times if not all the time, but really, his ability to relate these ideas to the audience is phenomenal. Its been making me consider comics are a superior medium to books...

pretty sure that Doom Patrol is really hard to find physical copies of these days........ Due to this I'm just gonna recommend a torrent search. The legality of what you do from there is in your hands. But that is where I found them....

alan moore
I've got a documentary on that guy, he looks like a gothic ogre but talks like a gentleman at a tea-house or something, he's a trippy trippy man. Still haven't read any of his stuff, but heard From Hell was his big break.....I've got a massive stack of comics to read at the moment, can't get to them all right now.....definitely will read it eventually though...

to inhabit electronic devices (a la Project Blue Beam

speaking of which, seems like some version of a bluebeam/false flag might be on the way with all this UFO disclosure stuff going on....?

-B.M

P.S) So no ones read Doom patrol? no one at all....? but it's damn good......even the inner torment of the robot/machine man who is but a brain in a tin can....so many ridiculous things dealt with so realistically...

edit on 1/10/10 by B.Morrison because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Mr Morrison is one of the Invisibles, shows the way peeking from beyond darkness.
Must read.
What about Flex Mentallo, or The Filth, really inspiring stuff, dreamspace into thoughtspace into something even more complex, one of the great wizards operating alive and well...

Dont forget Mr Alan Moore, could be considered a mentor to many, including myself....
I like your taste OP

BTW All Star Superman blew me away, specially the chronovore storyline...

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by TheOneEyedProphet

damn, I haven't gotten around to mentallo, haven't gotten to the chronovore story in all stars, and haven't read the filth at all but I've definitely been inspired too after reading your post..

for anyone else thinking about reading some conspiracy, esoteric or otherwise bizarre graphic novels, here's a quick good/bad on some of the stuff I've read so far...

the mystery play is good but confusing,
kill your boyfriend i thought was kind of cr*p,
sea guy is still the best quick read
we3 is the 2nd best quick read & one of the more moving stories,
vimanarama was a fun/quick read,
kid eternity I can't get my head around just yet,
I just discovered Gideon Stargrave which is pretty good,
haven't read the new adventures of hitler but keen too,
reading tank girl at the moment after getting to the 7th invisible's and needing a break...
the libertarian torture stuff took its toll on me....I think because he based it off historical record...that kind of thing really did happen....

I partially blame reading/watching "tin tin" as a kid that got me on the track that led to the kind of stuff I read these days...captain haddock drunk, tin tin on opium and the professor being subject to voodoo....

I have 'from hell' but still haven't read, Have watched a doco on Alan though, he's a trippy well spoken ogre looking guy...would be interesting to talk to..

thanks for the post

-B.M
edit on 7/10/10 by B.Morrison because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by jcrash
But I gotta ask, what is up with British comic writers? I mean every one of them is soaked in Illuminati.

Maybe thats why I can get into these comics,
because they aren't like normal comics,
its more like 4th dimensional entities running a mind control project under the guise of a rehabilitation program at a jouvinille delinquents centre and the humans running the centre are surgically removing the boys frontal lobes to feed these 4th dimensional alien overlords and one boy is saved by a ghost and goes on to join an anti illuminati terrorist group.....

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Mr. Moore is just the right thing to do once you finish with Mr Morrison, you wont regret it!
Ive read almost all Morrison, I have several loose issues of his Batman, but I waited until the collected editions came out.

Its a different kind of beast, you cant compare this much to [mainstream[ comic books, they speak about "other things" , other points of view, they aim to affect you in a much deeper level, they go as deep as one wishes to go!

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheOneEyedProphet
they speak about "other things" , other points of view, they aim to affect you in a much deeper level, they go as deep as one wishes to go!

Very true, and its for those reasons it inspires me to write fiction myself....I heard somewhere recently 'if you want to tell lies write non fiction, if you want to tell the truth write fiction..." I think it was in the context of learning about yourself, biography vs. fantasy...

top topics

join