It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadians overly sensitive, Brits warned

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
reply to post by DOADOA

Ah, keyboard warrior either looking for attention or totally uneducated.

WW1- Canada- 1914-1918 US 1917-1918

WW2 1939- 1945 1941-1945

Dieppe?

Korea the same, Viet Nam the same. Yes we had volunteers in Viet Nam.

Afghanistan, at Bush's request. Yes, you're welcome.

Yes, thanks for the support.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I'm British but live in Vancouver, Canada. I'm often mistaken for being Australian so I guess that's payback for all those times I mistook my eastern friends over in Newfoundland for a West Virginian Hillbilly.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Just some humour to sing along to

Lead singer is a British Transplant
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...

AS stated in the vid not by the Arrogant worms but great

CANADIAN HISTORY
www.youtube.com...

CANDIAN CULTURE

www.youtube.com...

OUR POLICE STATE

www.youtube.com...

NOW YOU WANA BE CANADIN>>>>NOW DON'T CHA

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 013131p://f24Wednesday by plube]

[edit on 013131p://f26Wednesday by plube]

[edit on 013131p://f28Wednesday by plube]

[edit on 013131p://f30Wednesday by plube]

[edit on 013131p://f35Wednesday by plube]

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

Originally posted by Nofoolishness
The truth is canadian culture is pretty much identical to american culture.

This is mostly true.

however most Canadians I have talked to would fist fight me for saying it. There is this snarky sense superiority that people of any given nation have. Just another example of how they are so similar to us (except a little more tree hugging, like living in Wyoming or Colorado).

That and if they did fist fight you over it, it would be accepted in the Canadian Mainstream as an acceptable punishment with no complaints from anybody.

Not so much in the US.....there would be tons of lawsuits.....

That is part of the reason I've grown to love hockey so much........they don't put up with bs and if you say something you better back it up......

But I so have to say, many canadians do have the Geddy Lee look.......

not sure why...but I've noticed it ....o well as an American living close to Canada and one who has been over the bridge a few times......all I can say is for the most part Canadians are pretty cool people.......Humor is a bit different though.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ipsedixit
I have to say that I am surprised that the nation that gave us an empire that the sun never set on and international soccer hooliganism, not to mention the Sex Pistols is now concerned about offending the delicate sensibilities of the nation that re-armed the British Army after Dunkerque and gave the world Bob Probert and Dave (the Hammer) Schultz of ice hockey fame.

My question (which I asked in another thread): "Are they losing their marbles in Blighty?"

OK, so the Brits want to be polite. Fine. We'll take it, . . . warily.

Just for the record, I get Australians, New Zealanders, South Africans, Brits and Jamaicans mixed up all the time.

Bottom line, Britain, if you get us mixed up with Americans, don't worry about it. We can (with therapy) handle it.

[edit on 17-8-2010 by ipsedixit]

It's worth remembering that the issue of Canadian sensitivities was one point in a check list produced by a UK Tourist body, which was meant as a guide for restaurants, hotels, pubs etc during the Olympics . Amongst the other gems contained in this guide were,a warning that if a Japanese tourist smiled at you they were angry and may be considering attacking you and that Belgians were disgusted by people using a tooth pick in public! The press over here had a lot of fun with all this for a couple of days before the guide was quietly withdrawn.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
There are certainly differences between Canadians and their American counterparts...
But they are smaller than either would admit.
It is obvious that the two will have to merge if the world doesnt change directions economically and politically.
The reason is that thirty or so million Canadians have more of every resource between them than Americans do...
Its obvious that America will need those resources soon.
As the corporate ownership between the two countriers is shared, it will be more convenient for them to deal with only one set of laws and one tax system in N America.
The pressure to unite is already mounting so lets not insult each other too much before that happens...well likely be fellow citizens one day.

I cant wait to get my CC permit too.....

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fang
...Amongst the other gems contained in this guide were,a warning that if a Japanese tourist smiled at you they were angry and may be considering attacking you....

WTF?

Was this taken from some old early-1940s field manual from the Battle of Corregidor or something? I suppose if a gore-streaked member of the Imperial Army gave you a hideous rictus of a grimmace on a scarlet-stained field strewn with roasted corpses, you might be in for a bit of unpleasantness. But come now, times have changed, man!

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Jeez, this topic is still going, yet a question I asked (as a new member) has been totally ignored. Anyway, on topic - Visit Britain is a govt/publicly funded waste of space, that tries to attract media coverage in any way it can - hence, the attempt to stir up feelings. Canadians are not overly sensitive, anymore than the English would prefer not to be confused with Scottish. As in, who gives a S***. Surely Canadians would appreciate that, to an untrained ear, they sound pretty similar to someone from the US.

ANYWAY, MY QUESTION, PREVIOUSLY IGNORED ON THE INTRO' THREAD, IS: whats happened to ATS Mobile. Is it down? Why does the error msg state "AYS Mobile is offline"? Will ATS ever introduce an service compatible with current internet enabled mobile phones?

Seriously, I only joined to ask this question about ATS Mobile. Now I'm starting to feel like I should not have given my email address away so freely. My impression of ATS as a lurker could not have been more wrong.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by DSSONE

ANYWAY, MY QUESTION, PREVIOUSLY IGNORED ON THE INTRO' THREAD, IS: whats happened to ATS Mobile. Is it down? Why does the error msg state "AYS Mobile is offline"? Will ATS ever introduce an service compatible with current internet enabled mobile phones?

Open a thread and ask your question within the link below

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, I am unable to create a thread as I am a new member. I signed up only to ask the Q about ATS Mobile because I could not find anything on ATS, or online.

However, while I am here: I think you should close this thread. It is pointless. It does not serve the ATS community in any way, other than to promote a publicly funded UK govt Quango's ill-advised advice to the UK hospitality industry. Not really something that the esteemed membership of ATS should be discussing.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by DSSONE

You could u2u staff members regarding your question and i am sure the will get back to you.

As for the thread, well, have you read the thread in total, it is what i would consider a civilized discussion between members. It covers various aspects regarding the differences and similarities between american and canadians. Lets not forget, not every thread within ats is related to a conspiracy and above all, threads are put up to serve the community and not one person or institution either directly or indirectly.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

I don't think he can u2u yet, he is very new.

DSSONE, the site has been getting redone all day, so the mobile, if down, will probably be up and running once the site changes are complete.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I'm Canadian, been mistaken for an american tons while traveling. Not a huge deal I always just corrected them. No worse then a Kiwi being mistaken for an Aussie, which especially over here happens aaaaalllooottttt. As for us being the same as americans, not at all. Canadians from different parts of the country arn't even anything alike. I live on the west coast and things are way different out here then even in the closest province Alberta. And the farther east you get the bigger the differences you find.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 03:42 AM
link   
It's still up on 'The Visit Britain site'. If The Canadians are cheesed off, have a look at some of their other pearls of wisdom;

www.visitbritain.org...

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Hi there intrepid. As someone with a refined ear for accents I very rarely have difficulty telling Canadian and American persons apart, however not every ear is as refined as mine.
I have for example come across folks who cannot tell the difference between an Aussie accent , and a South African one. With that in mind, is it really REALLY fair for a Canadian to be aggravated by any accent based confusion?? I mean of all the accents out there, I can well understand someone confusing an American from the northern extremities of the States, and someone from the southern end of Canada. Is that something you choose as Canadians to ignore?
It would be as silly as being aggravated because someone had confused Essex with London as an accent base. They are virtualy the same accent with TINY differences in delivery and word usage. No one really expects anyone to know the difference in fact, unless they come from one of the two areas. So whats the beef?

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 04:39 AM
link   

It's still up on 'The Visit Britain site'. If The Canadians are cheesed off, have a look at some of their other pearls of wisdom;

www.visitbritain.org...

Do not take offence if an Australian or a New Zealander makes a joke about ‘’Poms.’’
It is more of a friendly endearment than an intended insult.

You keep right on believing that....

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 04:52 AM
link   

www.visitbritain.org...

But, as I pointed out on the first page, there is a dfference between being "sensitive" and being "overly sensitive".

The tone of disapproval which might annoy Canadians is entirely in that word "overly". But there's nothing like that in the Tourist Board text. The Canadian journalists seem to have added in the word "overly" themselves.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   

"it is culturally insensitive to ask an Emirati whether they want bacon with their eggs or to include a half bottle of wine with the table d’hote menu."

Comedy Gold!

I also like the idea of you average English barman discussing the Mexican/American War of 1856-6 with a visiting Mexican Tourist. "Never mind mate the Rio Grande sounds like a nice place for a border" or "That President Polk, what a wanker!"

I'm still trying to work out how to upset an Argentinian by "pouring his wine backwards". Perhaps pouring it in his lap is acceptable.

[edit on 4/9/10, by Fang]

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Thanks for your suggestion, and help. I have noticed the changes so I figure that the downtime is due to that.

And apologies if I offended anyone. I did read the first few pages a while back when it was first posted. ATS is generally always civil so I agree that the thread is within all the rules. I don't just come here to read conspiracy related stuff and I enjoy a lot of the discussion that takes place here. I was just surprised to see it back in recent and posted without thinking. Although the irony of me posting and making it recent again is not lost on me, don't worry

top topics

<< 24  25  26    28 >>

join