It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Obama Insults Americans for Prosperity’s 1.2 Million Activists in Fund Raising Speech

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by NorEaster

I agree with Obama on this. There are dozens of really destructive PACs and 527s that have these wonderful names and marketing literature, and yet, when you do the research on them, they have deep ties with the same people who've been looting our Treasury for the last few decades.

Oh I agree also. The problem I have is Obama using his bully pulpit to suggest and imply that these PACs all work for the Republicans. The Democrats are poor innocent victims.
Yeh, right.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by mishigas
The problem I have is Obama using his bully pulpit to suggest and imply that these PACs all work for the Republicans. The Democrats are poor innocent victims.
Yeh, right.

hmmm. According to your OP what he said was not "Republicans" but rather..

Right now all around this country there are groups with harmless-sounding names like Americans for Prosperity, who are running millions of dollars of ads against Democratic candidates all across the country. And they don't have to say who exactly the Americans for Prosperity are. You don't know if it’s a foreign-controlled corporation. You don't know if it’s a big oil company, or a big bank. You don't know if it’s a insurance company that wants to see some of the provisions in health reform repealed because it’s good for their bottom line, even if it’s not good for the American people.

A Supreme Court decision allowed this to happen. And we tried to fix it, just by saying disclose what’s going on, and making sure that foreign companies can’t influence our elections. Seemed pretty straightforward. The other side said no.

They don't want you to know who the Americans for Prosperity are, because they're thinking about the next election. But we’ve got to think about future generations. We’ve got to make sure that we’re fighting for reform. We’ve got to make sure that we don't have a corporate takeover of our democracy.

Interesting that even you agree that Big Business interests and the Republican party are synonomous.

FYI lets pick one and do a veracity check..

Big Oil...

Americans for Prosperity Foundation

Board members
The members of the Americans for Prosperity Foundation board, as of November 2008, are:[37]

David H. Koch, Chairman

www.sourcewatch.org...

hmm. who is this Chairman of the Board of "Americans For Prosperity"?

David Hamilton Koch (pronounced /ˈkoʊk/ "coke", born May 3, 1940) is an American engineer and businessman. He is one of the co-owners (with older brother Charles) and an executive vice president of Koch Industries, a conglomerate with major petroleum and natural gas holdings that is the second largest privately held company (after Cargill) in the United States.[1] He is the second richest man living in New York City, as of 2010

en.wikipedia.org...

Just an innocent OIL MOGUL and BILLIONAIRE who owns an 80 Billion dollar Energy Company!!!

www.forbes.com...

Nope...no big Oil Companies behind that PAC

The AFP is the third largest recipient of funding from the Koch Family Foundations, behind the Cato Institute and the George Mason University Foundation. Before 2003, when the AFP was still named the Citizens for a Sound Economy Foundation, it received $18,460,912 in funding. 84% of that funding came from the Koch Family Foundations ($12,906,712) and the Scaife Family Foundations ($2,510,000). Koch Family Foundations is funded by Koch Industries. According to Forbes, Koch Industries is the second largest privately-held company, and the largest privately owned energy company, in the United States. Koch industries has made its money in the oil business, primarily oil refining. Presently, it holds stakes in pipelines, refineries, fertilizer, forest products, and chemical technology. Americans for Prosperity is also connected to oil giant ExxonMobil. According to ExxonSecrets, between the years 1998-2001, Citizens for A Sound Economy and Citizens for a Sound Economy Foundation received $380,250 from ExxonMobil.[27]

www.sourcewatch.org...

[edit on 13-8-2010 by maybereal11]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

Right, he's basically demanding everyone else be transparent, except him.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by maybereal11

My goodness, you do stretch, don't you.

This is what you should have cued in on:

Right now all around this country there are groups with harmless-sounding names like Americans for Prosperity, who are running millions of dollars of ads against Democratic candidates all across the country.

Notice that he doesn't mention any R candidates that might be subject to the ads...

The rest of your conclusions are pure fantasy.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Notice that he doesn't mention any R candidates that might be subject to the ads...

Wow I know you are not this dense.

Freedomworks is run by Dick Armey, X House GOP Leader who sexually harrassed his staff.

Prosperity for America? Koch is Chairman of the Board, an oil Billionaire who also funds Freedomwerks, Tim Phillips is a lifelong political campaign operative for the GOP...he worked for Karl Rove and Bush.

This isn't conspiracy, it's on thier own websites for Gods sake.

No mystery ...They are GOP and Big Business looking to buy government.

How stupid are you willing to pretend to be here?

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
He may be correct about anonymous money driving our political system:

You don't know if it’s a foreign-controlled corporation. You don't know if it’s a big oil company, or a big bank. You don't know if it’s a insurance company that wants to see some of the provisions in health reform repealed because it’s good for their bottom line, even if it’s not good for the American people.

Of course Obama goes golfing with UBS's American CEO,
the bank that helps rich & corporations profit launder & tax dodge,
& his own justice department jailed the very whistle blower trying to exposing it.

He jumps at BP's orders while they are destroying the entire southern coastline of this nation.

Obama swims in the VERY same ocean of political distorting money

all the 'official' Republicans do.

The pot'us is calling the kettle black.

One criminal trying to deflect attention by pointing to other gangs of criminals.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by maybereal11

Knock it off with the snipes like 'stupid', OK?

And you continue to

a) imply guilt by association

b) imply that R's are the only party that buy some government when possible.

The little tricks of mentioning a name and expecting to elicit horror and shame don't work with me. Try them on some n00bs, maybe you'll have better luck.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   

And you continue to

a) imply guilt by association

"Guilt by association"?????

I am talking about THE CHAIRMAN OF THE BOARD OF "AMERICANS FOR PROSPERITY" AND IT"S PRESIDENT!!!!

Not some guy who new some guy....

THESE ARE THE MEN RUNNING IT.

I never called you stupid, I certainly don't think you are, but given posts like the one above...wow...you sure do pretend to be stupid sometimes.

Guilt by Association???? Is David Koch only loosely associated with "Americans For Prosperity"? Or is he the CHAIRMAN OF THE BOARD???, It's Principle FUNDER and CREATOR???

Tim Phillips??? He is The Director...it's right there on thier website.

Are you telling me that Dick Armey doesn't run Freedomworks? He might disagree with you.

WTF are you talking about "Guilt by Association"????

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   

The little tricks of mentioning a name and expecting to elicit horror and shame don't work with me.

Oh I am long past believeing that the GOP and it's partisan fever blind loyal supporters like yourself are vulnerable to feeling shame.

Just keep shutting your eyes, pinching your nose and covering your ears.

I am sure you will be rewarded someday for your resilence to shame.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join