It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Obama Insults Americans for Prosperity’s 1.2 Million Activists in Fund Raising Speech

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Once again, Obama's paranoia and insecurity are publicly exposed. He has often attacked and insulted private citizens and organizations that do not agree with his pov. This time, he openly attacks and insults the grassroots organization Americans For Prosperity, during a fundraiser in Texas.

President Obama Insults Americans for Prosperity’s 1.2 Million Activists in Fund Raising Speech

With his poll numbers dropping rapidly because of his big government agenda, the President is now making shrill, desperate attacks on Americans for Prosperity and our 1,200,000 AFP grassroots activists across the nation.

The President is losing on the issues. Americans continue to be disenchanted with Obamacare, his uncontrolled spending habits, and vain attempts to pass an energy tax. This is why thousands of new activists continue to join Americans for Prosperity every day. President Obama can continue his attacks but that won’t change the fact that November is coming.

The President's remarks can be found on the White House Web site: www.whitehouse.gov...

I took the liberty of posting his remarks here:

Right now all around this country there are groups with harmless-sounding names like Americans for Prosperity, who are running millions of dollars of ads against Democratic candidates all across the country. And they don't have to say who exactly the Americans for Prosperity are. You don't know if it’s a foreign-controlled corporation. You don't know if it’s a big oil company, or a big bank. You don't know if it’s a insurance company that wants to see some of the provisions in health reform repealed because it’s good for their bottom line, even if it’s not good for the American people.

A Supreme Court decision allowed this to happen. And we tried to fix it, just by saying disclose what’s going on, and making sure that foreign companies can’t influence our elections. Seemed pretty straightforward. The other side said no.

They don't want you to know who the Americans for Prosperity are, because they're thinking about the next election. But we’ve got to think about future generations. We’ve got to make sure that we’re fighting for reform. We’ve got to make sure that we don't have a corporate takeover of our democracy.

www.whitehouse.gov...

He is playing upon the politics of fear, a tool he has used often to ramrod his spending programs down our throats.

I think it's about time he accepts that the job is too big for him. He needs to resign immediately.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by mishigas

You don't know if it’s a foreign-controlled corporation. You don't know if it’s a big oil company, or a big bank. You don't know if it’s a insurance company

Pretty sounds like todays government policies ?!

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Funding:

"On its website, Americans For Prosperity states that "AFP gets its support from individuals and corporations which share its vision." However, it does not disclose which corporations fund its operations.[26]

Kevin Grandia, of DeSmogBlog, who has researched funding the AFP states on his blog that:

The AFP is the third largest recipient of funding from the Koch Family Foundations, behind the Cato Institute and the George Mason University Foundation. Before 2003, when the AFP was still named the Citizens for a Sound Economy Foundation, it received $18,460,912 in funding. 84% of that funding came from the Koch Family Foundations ($12,906,712) and the Scaife Family Foundations ($2,510,000). Koch Family Foundations is funded by Koch Industries. According to Forbes, Koch Industries is the second largest privately-held company, and the largest privately owned energy company, in the United States. Koch industries has made its money in the oil business, primarily oil refining. Presently, it holds stakes in pipelines, refineries, fertilizer, forest products, and chemical technology. Americans for Prosperity is also connected to oil giant ExxonMobil. According to ExxonSecrets, between the years 1998-2001, Citizens for A Sound Economy and Citizens for a Sound Economy Foundation received $380,250 from ExxonMobil.[27]

Media Transparency notes that Americans for Prosperity Foundation has received seven grants totaling $1,181,000 between 2004 to 2006. Grants to the foundation have included:[28]

$1,000 in 2006 from the Roe Foundation;
$50,000 in 2005 from the Ruth and Lovett Peters Foundation;
$5,000 in 2005 from the Armstrong Foundation;
$125,000 from three grants over 2004 and 2005 from the Lynde and Harry Bradley Foundation; and
$1,000,000 from the Claude R. Lambe Charitable Foundation.
In its 2007 annual IRS return, the AFP Foundation's reported that its revenue was $5,695,000 with expenditure of $6,768,000. While the AFP Foundation ran at a loss of $1,072,000, it had a further $507,000 in reserves. Of its expenditure, $2,129,000 was spent on national office operations with just over $2.9 million allocated to the state-based chapters.[29]

Income for the Foundation since its formation in 2003 has been[29]:

2003: $3,451,636
2004: $1,190,470
2005: $3,600,966
2006: $4,223,218

www.sourcewatch.org...

Obama wasnt totally lying...Koch Industries is in Big Oil...and this shows the National House in D.C. spent almost half the budget...their not even the 'workers' to get stuff done...they sit back and get a check by other private people after investing some of their own money to persuade people that its a lage organization to be trusted and to fund it because it has their interests...its another corporate interest organisation almost intirely. Sad...

"AFP was established in late 2003 as a successor to the Citizens for a Sound Economy Foundation, an industry-funded think tank,[5] following an internal rift between Citizens for a Sound Economy and its affiliated foundation.[6] AFP was formally affiliated with the Independent Women's Forum. Both organizations shared the same Washington address, and formerly shared most of the same operational staff.[7] In 2008, IWF moved to separate office space.

The October 2003 Washington Times report on the formation of AFP stated, "Nancy Pfotenhauer, an executive of Citizens for a Sound Economy [CSE] in the 1990s who helped defeat Hillary Rodham Clinton's health care reform proposal, has been tapped to head a new national advocacy organization to protect 'every American's fundamental right to pursue prosperity.'"[8]

"Before joining the Independent Women's Forum in 2001, [Nancy] Pfotenhauer headed the Washington office of Koch Industries, a conglomerate with holdings in oil and gas, chemicals, minerals, ranching, and securities; Koch Executive Vice President David Koch was a founder and a chairman of the CSE Foundation and is now on the AFP board," reported the National Journal in November 2003. "Pfotenhauer worked with Koch in the mid-'90s, when she was executive vice president of both CSE and the CSE Foundation. But she has an even longer history with AFP board member Walter Williams, for whom she was a graduate research assistant at George Mason University 20 years ago."[9]

After doing my own research...I check their own website
www.americansforprosperity.org... and they really dont convince me after reading some of this info www.sourcewatch.org...

Obama wasnt that far off...I actually am glad for a change...

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Right now all around this country there are groups with harmless-sounding names like Americans for Prosperity, who are running millions of dollars of ads against Democratic candidates all across the country. And they don't have to say who exactly the Americans for Prosperity are. You don't know if it’s a foreign-controlled corporation. You don't know if it’s a big oil company, or a big bank. You don't know if it’s a insurance company that wants to see some of the provisions in health reform repealed because it’s good for their bottom line, even if it’s not good for the American people.

A Supreme Court decision allowed this to happen. And we tried to fix it, just by saying disclose what’s going on, and making sure that foreign companies can’t influence our elections. Seemed pretty straightforward. The other side said no.

Sounds like he was making a pretty damn good point to me. Corporations like this can spend unlimited amounts of money now to flood the airwaves. The average American doesn't have a chance at being heard.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Reconer

That's odd that you could find out exactly who was behind the Americans For Prosperity yet Obama portrayed it as a huge mystery, that it could be foreign corporations influencing our elections and the his administration was trying to stop it. That still makes Obama a deceptive, lying jackass.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   

The "other side"? You mean the Supreme Court? Those who are there to interpret the Constitution?

Yes, Barak, it is straightforward. We use a system of constitutional laws, not a corrupt legal system that rubber stamps policies that benefit you and your party.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Wonder if obama means the same organizations that helped him get in office?
Second line.

[edit on 11-8-2010 by Chance321]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer

Sounds like he was making a pretty damn good point to me. Corporations like this can spend unlimited amounts of money now to flood the airwaves. The average American doesn't have a chance at being heard.

Unions are alowed to "flood the airways" with there ads. Now its fair and balanced to let the companys to do the same.

[edit on 11-8-2010 by camaro68ss]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

He is playing upon the politics of fear, a tool he has used often to ramrod his spending programs down our throats.

Every president...from the very beginning....does exactly that.

Im not saying it's right...but you are pretending to have discovered the wheel here.

He should resign?

*yawn*

[edit on 11-8-2010 by Snarf]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Reconer

After doing my own research...I check their own website
www.americansforprosperity.org... and they really dont convince me after reading some of this info www.sourcewatch.org...

Obama wasnt that far off...I actually am glad for a change...

And did you 'research' how much money Obama received from the oilcos? Or Wall St., or the unions? Or Hollywood?

Of course not. Only Republican candidates are funded by shady donors.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Well, I am not often enchanted with BO, but he does have a good point.

I personally think the SCOTUS decission regarding polical funding has opened up a whole new era of corruption. It is easy to forget that
Corporate wealthfare is often sought out by companies who fit to benefit,
it is not hard to envision that some of the needless governmnet spending is done in this manner. Now we have a situation where entire campaigns
can be funded in exchange for private favors (even moreso). If this is constitutional (actually) I sincerly doubt a Federalist of a Democratic Republican would approve of the practice.

If anyone cares to be honest they would recognize that plenty of polical
funding is infact provided by donors with an agenda. Calling something grassroots does not change this fact now does it.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
And this is one thing right and left should agree on - corporations (or unions for that matter), shouldn't be able to dominate the message on any issue. they shouldn't be treated as living, breathing citizens. The CEOs can vote just as a regular citizen. Big Oil makes BILLIONS in profit every single month - they can pretty much OWN the government and they probably do. That's why Obama is right on this issue. It took a right-wing activist judge to hand the country over to corporations.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snarf

Every president...from the very beginning....does exactly that.

Im not saying it's right...but you are pretending to have discovered the wheel here.

He should resign?

*yawn*

[edit on 11-8-2010 by Snarf]

Terror Terror Terror

right -

But as I said I actually think he has a good point...

Multi Nationals can now fund our political process in a much easier way.

This is the liberal in BO speaking, because that is my "Big Spending/Taxing" concern.

Commie liberal 101

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Im not "for" anyone on this...and I have nither side in my interest because they all play off one another. Yeah I am sure Obama got plenty of funding...heck...he is the only president to not reveal his backround info and birth certificate...so...I think they are all liars.

And for the record...I was mearly saying "he (Obama) wasnt that far off" of this organisation not fully disclosing who they are" beause when you go to their website they dont tell you where their funding comes from...seems to me its sorta misleading. The site I got the real info from seemed to have a hard time compiling all the info...looked like it took alittle time and good on them cause now we know who's behind their funding.

They are all in it together...ran by corporate interests. He acts like it was a big mistake by the Supreme Court ruling making canidates able to recieve funding from corporations beause they are a "legal entity" (human interest)...its all for the polititians regardless...and the corporations...not the American citizen.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
OH NOES He is doing the same thing that EVERY FREAKING POTUS HAS DONE FOR THE LAST 50 YEARS HAS DONE!

I think it's about time he accepts that the job is too big for him. He needs to resign immediately.

LMAO! This has been an underlying theme of yours for a while now.

Obama blows his nose! HE SHOULD RESIGN IMMEDIATELY!

Obama swats a fly! HE SHOULD RESIGN IMMEDIATELY!

The Right has made a lie up against Obama! HE SHOULD RESIGN IMMEDIATELY!

Pull the other leg!

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

OH NOES He is doing the same thing that EVERY FREAKING POTUS HAS DONE FOR THE LAST 50 YEARS HAS DONE!

Wrong. Everything to him is a disaster waiting to happen. "We need to bail out the banks today or the economy will collapse!"
"We need to buy out GM before the entire economy collapses like a house of cards!" "We need to rush this bill through without reading it or Wall St. will fail!" "Healthcare has been a problem for 40 years but we don't have another day to discuss it and read the bill! We need to do it today or people will be dying in the streets!"

And now this one "Just who are these AFP types? Where did they come from? Watch them!"

But you go ahead and treat things so lightly LOL LOL LOL. Another one of these LMAO types.
You have no argument except to try to minimize a discussion with an LOL.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   

"We need to bail out the banks today or the economy will collapse!"

Ah yes, revisionist history by the right...

The Troubled Asset Relief Program, commonly referred to as TARP or RCP, is a program of the United States government to purchase assets and equity from financial institutions to strengthen its financial sector which was signed into law by U.S. President George W. Bush on October 3, 2008.

en.wikipedia.org...

And, the healthcare bill, really? You think that was rushed through? Give me a freaking BREAK! That was a long arduous process that the Right tried to stop at every turn, and YES I do agree with the Healthcare bill. And the GM bailout. Why? Because both of those things are good for the American people. (see general welfare clause in the constitution)

And let's see, how would Michigan have looked if GM and Chrysler were allowed to fail?

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Ah yes, revisionist history by the right...

The Troubled Asset Relief Program, commonly referred to as TARP or RCP, is a program of the United States government to purchase assets and equity from financial institutions to strengthen its financial sector which was signed into law by U.S. President George W. Bush on October 3, 2008.

You really are unclear on the concept, aren't you?

And, the healthcare bill, really? You think that was rushed through? Give me a freaking BREAK! That was a long arduous process that the Right tried to stop at every turn, and YES I do agree with the Healthcare bill.

And just who was it that said "we'll have to pass healthcare reform so you can see what's in the bill"? Pelosi.

And you don't think that's rushing it through?

And let's see, how would Michigan have looked if GM and Chrysler were allowed to fail?

You obviously don't understand bankruptcy. It does not mean 'sell the furniture'. It means re-organizing debt and a new business plan. That's the way our economy is supposed to work.

It also means re-writing union contracts. Therein lies the rub. The unions are Obama's goon squad. Couldn't let them suffer, could we?

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   

grassroots organization Americans For Prosperity, during a fundraiser in Texas.

Grassroots?

en.wikipedia.org...

"A grassroots movement (often referenced in the context of a political movement) is one driven by the politics of a community. The term implies that the creation of the movement and the group supporting it are natural and spontaneous, highlighting the differences between this and a movement that is orchestrated by traditional power structures. Grassroots movements are often at the local level, as many volunteers in the community give their time to support the local party, which can lead to helping the national party. For instance, a grassroots movement can lead to significant voter registration for a political party, which in turn helps the state and national parties"

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Or Hollywood?

Aint nothing scarier than Big Hollywood and it's die hard political Big Hollywood agenda!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join