It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The repercussions of the "Ground Zero" Mosque; The Cordoba Project.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
This thread is about the repercussions of the "Ground Zero" Mosque; The Cordoba Project.

Backlash? Tolerance? Is this a Nation divided?

Our laws will prevail. In my mind it is built already. So why is there such division?
Who are the first to pay this price?

www.foxnews.com...

Ground Zero Controversy Fueled Attacks on Texas Mosque, Islamic Center President Says

The president of an Islamic Center in Texas says backlash against the proposed mosque at Ground Zero has made its way over to the Lone Star State and is manifesting itself in acts of hatred against his congregation.

www.thaindian.com...

However, this development has been massively divisive.

[edit on 11-8-2010 by sweetliberty]

[edit on 11-8-2010 by sweetliberty]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

Arlington police and fire departments as well as the FBI launched investigations into the incident. But Qaddura said that didn’t stop a man from sneaking onto the property again days later.

The violence has already started.

The FBI and Arlington Police Department confirmed that they are investigating a July 23 graffiti incident and a July 25 playground fire at the mosque.

“We’ve not determined yet if there’s any sort of hate crime element to it. And if there is, then that’s something we would give to the district attorney’s office as evidence so they can consider whether or not to enhance the charge if that case were ever to go to trial,” Tiara Richard, spokeswoman for the Arlington Police Department, told FoxNews.com.

"We're not commenting on what may be behind it because we're trying to find out who the person responsible is," White told FoxNews.com.

This could be the works of anyone really. I can see this used from both sides to stir up even more division.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by sweetliberty

Ya, there will be some acts of violence, but they are not representative of the majority. Most people will condemn all violence. Terrorist sympathisers will also condemn the violence, but they will deny that Muslims were responsible for the attacks on September 11.

They do not condemn violence against the United States.

Muslims will condemn violence towards their own, but many will rejoice over violent acts committed against The United States and Israel.

Their hatred for Christians and Jews is legendary, but any criticism against this is met by name calling, lies, and in many cases, even more violence.

They will try to use our Constitution as an avenue to advance their Radical Islamic agenda. When the radicalism is hiding in the religion, it makes it difficult to eliminate.

Let's hope that these are just random acts of violence, and that they do not escalate.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   
This is something I posted on another thread that I wanted to bring to this one.

Ironic indeed, I agree .
Another ironic thing is how some here on ats insult the intelligence of the people who are capable of coming to our own conclusions. Speaking of ironic. Personally, I can't differentiate between Michelle Geller and some very very active members on here. Both insult the intelligence of Americans. We can think on our own without forced opinion. Both extremists manically pointing fingers and both are experts at excusing their actions, words and agendas.
Change happens one person at a time.
Our Constitution speaks for itself and for the Americans. Building the mosque at that location is not against the law. It will happen.
Meanwhile many are not allowed to voice their pain or confusion or even what they feel is unfair.
It's also ironic that the manic people still NEED to attempt to tell other Americans which "thinking" is right and which is oh sooooo wrong. Again, this insults the intelligence of people as if they are mere sheep without individual thought. What is that called? Deliberate provocation! Shame.

Change happens one person at a time and only when they are NOT force fed what to think or what to say.

Best Regards,
sweetliberty

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 05:36 AM
link   
In regards to the OP, I feel the actions of a few Americans do not speak for most Americans.
We don't know yet if it someone on the outside or someone on the inside who destroyed the playground.

But the ignorant will point fingers at Christians before blinking an eye.

For me, this shouldn't be about religion, although for many it is the opportunity to belittle and to spread hate.

They do not speak for the majority of the "Christians", their ignorance is more than apparent!

Change happens one person at a time and when we aren't force fed what to think or believe from the people who only know how to hate.

[edit on 12-8-2010 by sweetliberty]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
www.cnn.com...

Obama 'not commenting on wisdom' of controversial Islamic center

Obama has more fortitude in his little finger than many ats members will have in a life time.

I'm shocked and at the same time I'm proud to see a man admit this.

Why read into what he said? Who cares?
The fact that he touched on the other side of the mosque issue shows simply that there IS another side to this mosque issue.

Another fact that the low life cowards who have weak arguments in this have to liken "opposers" to nazi and hate shows just who has more of an agenda in this than upholding the Constitution of the United States!

Reality.
The mosque has every right to build there by law.

The constant bitching is simple morons who need to spread their hate for the simple need to feed the hate.

Opposing this issue DOES NOT MEAN WE HATE MUSLIMS. Another weak argument simply to exacerbate the issue.

This is all about WHO IS HOLIER THAN THOU. Weak cowards who need attention.

[edit on 15-8-2010 by sweetliberty]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
So let me get this straight, the media makes a big stink about a mosque being built near ground zero and...oh my god...someone graffitis it...who would have thought...gee I guess the two are completely unrelated. That's like when the media runs a story about a person on the witness protection list and then they wonder why that person would get targeted later on.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Obama 'not commenting on wisdom' of controversial Islamic center shows he is man enough to admit there is more to this than simple law.

Wisdom is rare and unique.

A wise man can see something at many angles. The simple minded or hate filled with hate filled agenda create chaos, point fingers and are fools.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
There is something I find interesting about all of this. The hypocritical can go for both sides here.

For instance their are some who are so hell bent on proving their point that they can't see anything else.
They talk down to others (as if they are the only one how can "see" the truth

The ironic thing is that they are bonified puppets and easiest for the ptb to use.

I challenge others to step back in silence for a day (at least). When you do, you will see the most amazing picture.

The real hypocrites are the easiest to manipulate. I question if conspiracy theorists really do exist

Thank you,
sl

[edit on 16-8-2010 by sweetliberty]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
www.newsmax.com...
Tawfik Hamid: Ground Zero Mosque Islamic Victory Symbol

Islamic expert Tawfik Hamid tells Newsmax that many Muslims will view the construction of a mosque near ground zero as symbolizing a “triumph over America.”

He also declares that if the mosque is built it could prove to be the “spark” that begins a “war between civilizations.”

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   
It's TEXAS! No one should be surprised that there is intolerance in TEXAS!

I mean my god, TEXAS is the single most intolerant place in the entire universe!

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
It's TEXAS! No one should be surprised that there is intolerance in TEXAS!

I mean my god, TEXAS is the single most intolerant place in the entire universe!

Well hello Master of wit and charm Mr. Groucho.
I guess I must agree with you about Texas

It is a slightly intolerant place, strange place actually.
Did you know in Texas, it's against the law for anyone to have a pair of pliers in their possession? The King Ranch in Texas is bigger than the state of Rhode Island? Dr Pepper was invented in Waco in 1885?
But I must say, some of those cowboys sure can twirl a girl around the dance floor

But then again, so can those Yankees...
Well, if anything, at least they have Dr. Pepper. He has been known to remove many a pair of pliers sucessfully with only the slightest pain involved.
I would imagine the Dr. wouldn't be so gentle with those who seek to destroy property, esp. a playground.
I hope they catch the thugs and make examples out of them

Best regards,
sweetliberty

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 06:38 AM
link   
I have been staying away from this controversial "mosque" issue so far, but I am fed up with the BS coming from the news.

I am not a religious follower and neither believe in organized religion, but building a darn mosque around the 9/11 site is nothing but a slap on the face of the nation of the US that happen to be mostly Christian regardless of how the nation preaches intolerance.

I will not be surprised if more violence erupted due to the moronic idea that after turning the American Christian called citizens against two Islamic nations in order to get approval for war now the same government that pushed those two wars wants a mosque on near the same reason we are indebted and in economic stress fighting Islamic extremist

The hypocrisy of this have no boundaries, incredible.

The rest of the world most be laughing at how we Americans are nothing but government puppets.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   
This group has been permitted to purchase this property, and they may build whatever they like on it, and I defend their right to do so.

But to do so is just rude. A rudeness the likes of which we have never encountered as a nation.

It is, by American standards, a social-- faux pas.

[edit on 8/19/2010 by ladyinwaiting]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
I have been staying away from this controversial "mosque" issue so far, but I am fed up with the BS coming from the news.

I am not a religious follower and neither believe in organized religion, but building a darn mosque around the 9/11 site is nothing but a slap on the face of the nation of the US that happen to be mostly Christian regardless of how the nation preaches intolerance.

I will not be surprised if more violence erupted due to the moronic idea that after turning the American Christian called citizens against two Islamic nations in order to get approval for war now the same government that pushed those two wars wants a mosque on near the same reason we are indebted and in economic stress fighting Islamic extremist

The hypocrisy of this have no boundaries, incredible.

The rest of the world most be laughing at how we Americans are nothing but government puppets.

Hello, I was going to highlight a part of your post but everything you said here is so very important.
You have truly stepped back to see the larger picture. Not to mention you allowed yourself to feel the situtation too.
Thank you

sweetliberty

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
This group has been permitted to purchase this property, and they may build whatever they like on it, and I defend their right to do so.

But to do so is just rude. A rudeness the likes of which we have never encountered as a nation.

It is, by American standards, a social-- faux pas.

[edit on 8/19/2010 by ladyinwaiting]

What? Rude?
Your correct ladyinwaiting, it is rude

Many will use the "fear" excuse; that this is because of "fear" or ... well I won't list all their excuses

The truth is there is such a lack of understanding and a lack of education from all sides of this. Many more innocent people might pay a high price for this rudeness too.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
sweetliberty

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
The repercussions of opinion is abundant even behind the scenes.
This is a snippet of some u2u's sent to me.
This Mosque issue will manifest into a lot of negative actions by all kinds of people for all kinds of reasons, I am sad to say.

...you haven't a clue what you are talking about or doing. You have no grasp of the situation or the world we live in. You are being manipulted by others, as you are seeking to manipulate others, and what I involved with here is frankly just too important to have you running around the heels of it pursuing this insane agenda of yours.

[edit on 20-8-2010 by sweetliberty]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
So let me ask you all this....How far away is far away enough for all of you? 3blocks? 4? 2 miles? How close can a Mosque be built to the ruins of WTC before it becomes a controversial issue? Point is, they have the freedom in America to build whatever they want on the land they bought. It's a non-issue and truthfully, I'm American and it sure doesn't seem like a "slap in the face" to me...it seems like a group of AMERICAN Muslims who are reaching out to bridge the gap between Islam, Christianity, and other religions.

You should check out my other thread, there's atleast 20 other churches, ect within 6 or so blocks of the WTC, what makes this any different..... Let me ask you all this: If the terrorists on 9/11 would have been Christian, would you then prevent all Christian Churches from being built within 2 blocks of the WTC ruins?

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
All of this prejudiced nonsense just because of a community center being built by Muslims. Yes, you read that right, a community center. Sure, it will have an area where Muslims can go and pray, but it's main purpose will be that of your local YMCA, where people of all faiths will be allowed to work out and play racquetball. Muslims are allowed to hold service in the Pentagon, yet I don't hear anyone protesting about that.

I have to admit that even I, an agnostic "liberal", had my reservations about a mosque being built so close to ground zero. I think even the most die hard of atheists would admit that they'd prefer to live in a Christian nation rather than in the middle east, yet after I did just a few minutes of research I saw how overblown this issue has become.

This structure will not serve as a hive for terrorists and their devious plans, and it won't be a propaganda pulpit for Muslims to try and take over America. It will simply be a place where people of all faiths can come together and enjoy a little racquetball.

[edit on 21-8-2010 by Torgo]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   
As with so many other socially flammable topics, the problem is modern society's adoption of the "You're either with us or against us" mentality. There is NO middle ground or healthy debate, just divisive (and often ignorant) comments and accusations that only serve to divide our population.

Do Muslims have the right to build this center? By my interpretation of the First Amendment, I'd answer ABSOLUTELY. Regardless of personal beliefs, the Constitution protects our inherent right to worship (or not worship) the God of our choice. It treats all religions equally for a reason... to prevent the predominant religion(s) from infringing on the rights of less prevalent ones. Freedom of religion isn't a tiered system of first class vs. second class religions. They're all the same in the eyes of the law, and as an American it's my duty to protect that right regardless of whether I agree with the circumstances.

How close is too close to ground zero? The question has already been asked, and I agree that it's a valid point to bring up. If two NYC blocks isn't enough distance, what is "acceptable" to the center opponents? There are many stern opponents who have voiced their opposing views, but of those, how many are actually impacted by the center's location? Manhattan is home to approximately 600,000 Muslims. That's more than the entire population of cities like Denver, Miami, Pittsburgh or St. Louis. THAT'S A LOT OF PEOPLE. Should we diminish their rights simply so that some armchair online activist half a country away can feel better about a place that they've never even been to? I think not. Infringing on others rights is never right, regardless of personal beliefs.

Popular in internet forums covering this topic is opinion that Muslims are all terrorists and thus, "the enemy." They're all terrorists, right? WRONG. Blacklisting and defaming billions of Muslims based solely on their religious beliefs is, in my opinion, socially reprehensible. Being Muslim doesn't mean you're a terrorist, and billions should not be punished for the actions of the nineteen 9/11/2001 attackers. If I recall correctly, Timothy McVeigh grew up attending a Catholic church. If he was a Christian when he bombed the Oklahoma City federal building back in 95', then why don't we persecute all Christians for that crime, afterall, they're the same, right? Not only is the bias and hatred in that attack non-existent, but the last time I was there I believe St. Joseph's Cathedral, First United Methodist Church, and St. Paul's Episcopal Cathedral were all much closer than two blocks from the blast site. Ironic, or double standard... you decide.

People may not agree with the location of this center, but I don't think that many would argue with the fact that they have the right to build it there. It's close, but no closer than local strip joints and other seedy establishments that "diminish the sanctity" of lower Manhattan.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join