It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Death Of Nun, Sister Denise Mosier, Sparks Anti-Immigration Backlash In Virginia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   

WASHINGTON — In Arizona, the shooting death of a rancher blew the lid off simmering anger over border security and helped solidify support for a tough new immigration law. A similar eruption threatens in Virginia following the death of a Catholic nun in a car accident involving a man in the country illegally and accused of drunken driving.

The Benedictine Sisters of Virginia tried to discourage using the death of Sister Denise Mosier as a "forum of the illegal immigration agenda" and pleaded for a focus on "Christ's command to forgive." ...

The day after the crash, Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli II issued an advisory opinion concluding that police have authority to inquire into the immigration status of any person stopped or arrested, similar to the Arizona immigration law that is under federal court review.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.
Source: www.huffingtonpost.com...

Although it's a shame that this incident happened and I'm completely against illegal immigration, I still believe the debate should focus around employers who employ illegal immigrants, as opposed to the illegal immigrants themselves. Most illegal immigrants are just here to work, feed their families and provide a future for their children. I'm not saying that this is right, but can we hardly blame them?

Illegal immigrants are going to do whatever it takes to sneak into this country as long as there is work so focusing on the employers who hire them is paramount, IMO.

Lets face it, this nun could have been killed by any number of American drunk drivers, though it just so happened this one was illegal. It's about time we hold businesses accountable for hiring these illegal aliens, instead of giving them a pass, while shifting the blame entirely on the illegals themselves.

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
What about all the illegal immigrants in gangs? Who is going to check their employer and verify their right to employment?

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Yes, I talked about the forgiveness of the nuns in my thread about the incident.

It is awe inspiring, isn't it?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Yea but in this case it was a double whammy. First off the guy was in the country illegally and second he was drunk driving. Two laws broken and what will be the result?

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I'm not saying that something shouldn't be done about illegal immigrants who continue to break laws once here, only that a a good percentage of illegals come here with the purest of intentions. Generally speaking, we can't blame illegals for wanting to be here, even if they have to break the law to get here. Instead, we should be focussing on the businesses who hire them in the first place. By allowing this debate to stay focussed on the ilegal immigrants themselves, we aren't really going to get anywhere because they will continue to do whatever it takes to put food in the mouths of their families.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm the biggest supporter of ridding this country of illegals, irregardless of their intentions because putting food in my own family's mouth is more important to me, but I just think this debate is going in the wrong direction by focussing on the illegals themselves instead of the root of the problem, which is the employers who entice them to come.

If we don't focus on the business side of this equation, they will continue to hire and as long as they are continuing to hire illegals, these illegals will do whatever it takes to get here and our problem will continue. To me, this nun's death is on the shoulders of those corporations hiring illegals, as opposed to the whole of the illegal immigrant population.

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by hangedman13
Yea but in this case it was a double whammy. First off the guy was in the country illegally and second he was drunk driving. Two laws broken and what will be the result?

And you forgot to mention, this wasn't even his first arrest. The feds had him before and released him. If they'd done their job, quite possibly this wouldn't have happened.

[edit on 8/9/2010 by centurion1211]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I am from Virginia and I frankly don't care.

Drunk driving deaths happen all the time. The issue here isn't that an illegal caused the death of someone, the major factor here is that people need to be educated about safe driving practices.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
What about all the illegal immigrants in gangs? Who is going to check their employer and verify their right to employment?

If I am paid I will do it.

Though I think there would be a huge outcry of how I would do it.

So I think we will have to find someone willing to die to be
politically correct in checking gang member ID.

new topics

top topics

join