It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WATCH This video on Global warming!!! Strange ice? galcier?movment

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
news.yahoo.com...
I know most here consider this all bunk but i am NOT posting this in referance to global warming thats just what this news video is about .
WHAT I am posting about is the last 1 second of this video !!!!
Ice? glacier? moving at god knows how fast really fast. looks like 30 mph even???
the last couple seconds of the video HAVE A LOOK man is it strange and this looks like ice (glacier?) snow??? on a flate area no hills around??? man its a strange thing a Must see for your self kind of thing

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by xxcalbier

That is a glacier falling into the ocean. That is as of the last 6 years a very common site.
Nice find on the vid,.
this will stir up the nest of non believers that the planet is warming.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
yea i figer a glacier more then likly but the strange thing is no hills they are usaly in valles and then its no small pice falling off it looks as if the whole thing is moving fast the video shows maybe a half mile front and the whole thing is moving and it looks to be moving in the back as well.
its like the whole glacier let louse at once

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
It reminds of 2012 when yellow stone erupts, on a much smaller scale... it looks like its exploding not moving!

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by xxcalbier

There have been quite a few shows and documentaries of the quickly disintegrating glaciers.
Greenland alone has been loosing glaciers into the ocean at 3 feet an hour.
From some of the articles I have read it has sped up.
If you do a search you will find more on this.
Thing is, many of the glacial ice that is melting is recorded at over 600,000 years old.
Some of this Ice is over half mile thick.
After one looks at the hard info,. it is rather ignorant to not believe something is happening.
the ones that keep saying it is a farce won't get it till it affects their lives.
In the video the scientist stated this was foretold by them long ago.
I remember the statements made by these people years ago., and yeah
the heat and cold swings, the mass flooding, real erratic weather patterns are here.
and it will only become worse.
Yeah this may be just part of earths million year pattern,. but we are at the curve and if one believes anything of history, whats around the curve is the next Ice age.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
It certainly is impressive and must be absolutely amazing to see in person. Look at the video carefully, especially at the very end. The last second or so you can see a wave on the far right side of the screen which does not look like it’s in real time. It’s simply not moving at the correct speed. The following clip shows it at the original speed in the video, followed by double speed and then triple speed, which I think looks closest to the correct speed. A large piece fell into the water and was initially submerged, which is not shown. Buoyancy then expelled it at a rapid rate, which is what’s captured.

Upon edit: Here's the direct link to it on ATS Media since I'm having embedding issues again.

[edit on 8/8/2010 by Three_moons]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I am concerned about what the glaciers are doing,
but it would be cool to see

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
A lot of people don't realize that glaciers are a poor indication of current climate. The flow of glaciers relies greatly on precipitation (as opposed to mean temperature), and some glaciers have very large reaction times.

For instance, if a glaciers catchment area had low precipitation 250 years ago, it could be affecting it's calving rate today. It's due to these reasons, that not all glaciers react the same around the world. Here in NZ, we've recently had increases in glacial mass, mainly in our West Coast of the South Island glaciers.

But that won't stop alarmists from using glacier calving as prime evidence that the sky is falling

I can't get audio right now, so I can't comment too much on the video at this stage. Although the caption says "Clayton Sandell on the link between the hottest year ever and climate change."

Are they claiming that 2010 is the hottest year ever? Because last, I checked, 2010 wasn't over yet, and shouldn't be relied on for any kind of statistical anomaly. According to some sources, we are yet to reach the high temps of the late 90's. So are they talking about 1998?

At the end of the video in the OP, it appears to be a large glacier calving into the ocean. This of course, has been going on for the past millennium. It is what happens when the ice accumulation over a land mas flows into the ocean. It has to go somewhere, because it's not just going to build up higher and higher forever.

If the overall snow and ice precipitation increases, you can get an increase in ice, even if there is an increase in temperature. That is why glaciers are poor indicators of current temperature trends.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Curious and Concerned

Well, I disagree with you completely,.
we have Picture data showing the disappearance of Mountain glaciers
over the last 50 years.
with no rebuilding of the Glacier from new snow.
They are all receding,. globally
Yes you can say there has been snow cover,. but simply due to the warmer temps.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
Yes you can say there has been snow cover,. but simply due to the warmer temps.

That's simply not the case, there are glacial growth areas .....www.iceagenow.com...

More snow fall begats faster glaciers...they move faster with more weight on them. Greenland had an increase in snowfall in the mid 2000's followed by ......faster glaciers. Nature does work sometimes.

That is some pretty cool video at the end.

And as someone else said.... glaciers are NOT he greatest indicators of things.
Take this one for example:
www.iceagenow.com... bol_for_the_IPCC.htm

That website is actually worth poking around a bit.....

[edit on 8-8-2010 by pavil]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Come on boys and girls we all know CO2 is a greenhouse gas and can effect temperature in a given environment. You can do the experiment anytime. The earth itself is like one big green house so we have to be causeing some of this mess.

Although, we may not be the direct cause im sure were not helping things pumping all this crap in our air.

If the sun is seemingly warmming other planets too then maybe the sun is going though a cycle. Thier is evidence that the earth has had really warm periods and really cold periods, right? What if were comming to an end to a warmming period and the the sun is really the direct cause. In the next couple of years things could get really hot if this is the case.

I read or watched a video somewhere that said if the sun got just 4% hotter then is now we would all be rice crisppies. So what would happen if it just got .25% hotter or .50% hotter. It might hmmm melt the ice caps cause heat waves.

Well we should get our facts right already because if it is the suns cycle directly causeing this warming were screwed if it gets to hot. We can't just go up and fix the sun now can we. But we can stop adding to the problem and stop putting things in our air that will fuel the problem.

As for the vid it could have been sped up for a dramatic effect but the point is that its happening. All I know is, I hope we are the cause of it then we can at least fix it. If were not at the controls then we can only hold for the ride.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Well, I disagree with you completely,.

Do you even know what you are disagreeing on? Just because I'm not screaming that the sky is falling doesn't mean you have to disagree with everything I say. But if you must...

we have Picture data showing the disappearance of Mountain glaciers
over the last 50 years.

Of course some are, there's no disagreement there. But do you think all glaciers stayed exactly where they were until 50 years ago? No, it's been going on since the last glaciation period. Glaciers fluctuate due to a number of reasons, not just present day rises in temperature.

I just told you that some glaciers in my country are growing. Saying they are "all receding" is a gross generalization that is completely false. But you come to expect that from alarmists.

I remember the statements made by these people years ago., and yeah
the heat and cold swings, the mass flooding, real erratic weather patterns are here.

They have always been here. But as long as we continue deforestation and land land use changes, flooding will get worse due to the excess run off. That doesn't mean the weather that causes them must have changed.

There is very little evidence that we have actually seen an increase in extreme weather. Of course, the populations affected, and the reporting on events has increased dramatically in the last 50 years, giving some the impression the weather is more chaotic now.

Note: I have not said that the Earth is not warming. Nowhere have I said that humans cannot effect our environment. Do I think we are affecting our environment? Hell Yes! But that doesn't mean I'll blindly jump on the AGW alarmists bandwagon and start repeating dramatic presumptions without adequate evidence.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Well as you wish then if you consider me an "Alarmist" then so be it.
The flooding in extremes started a few years ago. and it was sporadic .
now it has been happening every year, and the events are worse.
Temps this year have broken many records.

Russia has not seen this kind of weather in at least 100 years.
This argument about this warming issue will continue till one in proved correct.
Good luck to you.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
nice find in the video, does any one know about the latest ice shelf?And for the temp is not going up well you said; in the 1990's nope wont happen no way will you get 100+. 2000, nope wont happen , now way will you get 103+ 2010 nope no way way will you get 112+. Well what do you know the temp is rising.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Well as you wish then if you consider me an "Alarmist" then so be it.

I do consider you an alarmist. You are trying to link sporadic weather events to some kind of theory, with no real evidence or apparant reasoning.

The flooding in extremes started a few years ago. and it was sporadic .
now it has been happening every year, and the events are worse.
Temps this year have broken many records.

If you are suggesting that "flooding in extremes started a few years ago", you seriously need to do some research. Go have a look at the deadliest floods of all time. Here's a link to make it easier. Now look at the dates of those floods. Notice how far down you have to go before you get to a flood from "a few years ago"?

Flooding has always been an extremely devastating event. As I have already said, there are things that are making them worse, especially land use changes changing the water runoff. But claiming this has only just started is plain ignorant.

Russia has not seen this kind of weather in at least 100 years.
This argument about this warming issue will continue till one in proved correct.
Good luck to you.

Did you read my post? No where was I arguing about a "warming issue". In fact, I specifically noted that "I have not said that the Earth is not warming." Seriously, at least make a coherent argument before you go claiming there is one. Your blatant assumptions that things have only just started happening, do nothing towards proving anything. Considering that, good luck to you too.

Weather records haven't been kept all that long, in climatic terms. The breaking of records is due to the highly dynamic nature of our weather. Using one areas 'record breaking' to prove some kind of worldwide climate event is foolish. For instance, I could show you this.

Much of New Zealand shivered last month in the lowest recorded May temperatures.

The national average temperature of nine degrees was 1.6 degrees below the long-term average for May.

NIWA says extremely low temperatures, between two and 2.5 degrees lower than normal, were recorded over most of the South Island, lower parts of the North Island, King Country, Waikato, Auckland and parts of Northland.

Most other locations experienced well below average temperatures between 1.2 and two degrees lower than normal.
Record cold in May and more chill to come
Record cold down under

Not just NZ, but Australia as well. Breaking records. But I am not trying to say that the whole world is cooling. The climate is always changing, that I'm sure we can agree on.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   
This GW seems to just be a Northern Hemisphere phenomenon, the weather here has been chit the last few years, what happened to the long hot summers of the 60's and 70's,? last summer was a non event in our area.
Well argued Curious and Concerned and pavil, never seen that Flood list before, sure was an eye opener, Holland sure took a hammering before the built the Dikes eh.
Some glaciers are advancing some are receeding, its just nature at work. If everything stayed the same all the time it would become a dead planet like Mars.
Change is good

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Curious and Concerned
A lot of people don't realize that glaciers are a poor indication of current climate. The flow of glaciers relies greatly on precipitation (as opposed to mean temperature), and some glaciers have very large reaction times.

For instance, if a glaciers catchment area had low precipitation 250 years ago, it could be affecting it's calving rate today. It's due to these reasons, that not all glaciers react the same around the world. Here in NZ, we've recently had increases in glacial mass, mainly in our West Coast of the South Island glaciers.

But that won't stop alarmists from using glacier calving as prime evidence that the sky is falling

I can't get audio right now, so I can't comment too much on the video at this stage. Although the caption says "Clayton Sandell on the link between the hottest year ever and climate change."

Are they claiming that 2010 is the hottest year ever? Because last, I checked, 2010 wasn't over yet, and shouldn't be relied on for any kind of statistical anomaly. According to some sources, we are yet to reach the high temps of the late 90's. So are they talking about 1998?

At the end of the video in the OP, it appears to be a large glacier calving into the ocean. This of course, has been going on for the past millennium. It is what happens when the ice accumulation over a land mas flows into the ocean. It has to go somewhere, because it's not just going to build up higher and higher forever.

If the overall snow and ice precipitation increases, you can get an increase in ice, even if there is an increase in temperature. That is why glaciers are poor indicators of current temperature trends.

They are claiming it is the hottest year on record - and it is. Simple.

This is an average of global land and sea temperatures.

As for glacial theory -quite simply the ice does not recede because of a decrease in snow fall - for your theory to be valid it would mean there are gaps at the source of the glacier - and this not what is happening.

Glaciers are speeding up their calving rapidly on a global scale - this is a fact. Why - because the increase in temperatures are causing melt water to lubricate the substrate, providing barrier to the cooing rocks and lubricating for faster decent. They are also "retreating" which is a direct result of warming.

There are isolated instances of increase glacial mass - very, very rare. This in no way negates the dominant glacial retreat we are seeing.

Further global warming causes climate change - it causes more extreme events, less predictable events and amplifies events. No one is saying that any one event proves or disproves global warming - but it was forecast to have significantly higher, more intense and numerous extreme weather events and that is EXACTLY what is happening.

The monsoon shift and variation is a precise forecast of global warming, as are more frequent hurricanes, heat waves etc. Yes these have all happened in the past - however we are seeing a significantly increased number of events across the board. This is the crux of global warming - it is not an isolated event but a cumulation.

Global Warming causes climate change.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 03:59 AM
link   
So its the hottest year on record, yet a reply in an other thread on the weather. a poster commented that Norway had the coolest summer on record, also, there has been snow in southern Brazil! most perplexing of all, the hottest driest summer on record in central Russia!

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Aristophrenia

you obviously didn't read that link pavil put on www.iceagenow.com...

Read that and then come back and apologise for getting it all wrong.

The whole Southern Hemisphere seems to be having cooler temperature.

Global Warming isn't global at all, its just the Northern Hemisphere.

40 years ago our Geography teacher at school told us that in his opinion the climate would change over the next 100 years and it would get colder.
I think he was right 60 years from now we might be getting snow in the Winter

edit: there was a brief item on the TV News last night, NIWA (the NZ weather people) are to be investigated because of accusations of providing false information to the Govt and the Public slanting towards GW when in fact other non-NIWA scientists have found its getting colder. I'll keep an eye out for any developments, sounds like a repeat of the British scandal.

[edit on 15-8-2010 by muzzy]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
WHAT is wrong with you! Not a single person that denies "Global Warming" denies that some places are getting hotter and that some places are getting colder. We just deny the fact that it's because of human influence! The climate is always changing, and there is nothing we can do about i! It's all just some sort of evil government propaganda to control the public with fear. When the solar flares start to happen in 2013, and power goes out, all the people will say "told you so!" and then everyone will be like "they were right" and that's when they get you! I do agree that the climate is changing, but if you never listened to the news never picked up the paper or went on the internet you probably wouldn't have noticed that much!

Also glaciers don't stay the same forever!!!!!!!!!!!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join