It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bikini-Clad Brit Detained in Dubai Mall

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlueOrb
Anyone want any more info about anything from here, feel free to ask.

And regarding the poster who thinks America is so great - you are getting your 4rse kicked in Afghanistan, by farmers on motorbikes, just as we are (British), so you're not really that good, are you!!!?

If we are going by strictly body counts, no, we are not getting our "arses" kicked. The enemy has suffered far worse casualties. Usually if I beat someone up, yet a get a few scrapes and bruises from the altercation, I still consider myself having beat said persons ass. This analogy clearly relates to the ongoing conflict in Afghanistan.

Politically, it is becoming a cluster f*ck, that is where we are failing. Not on the battlefield.

And in terms of freedom, the US is far freer than several places, including all the mid east.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueOrb

I appreciate your response and your link that also has a picture of the offending woman. Hmm, I wonder what lesson her daughter is taking from all of this?

My point has been that Dubai creates it's own Media Circus every time something like this happens.

Strict morality and an enormous sex trade just seem really weird combined. And while I am glad that there are, according to you, 'good companies' that take care of their employees, the others are Slavers. To deny someone their own passport, implies a control over their freedom. If you control someone's freedom, than you in fact 'own' them.

It is reported that a few slaves in the 1800's here in the US were treated very well. But, they were still slaves.

It does not matter how well you treat someone if you are in complete control of their freedom. That is slavery.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I saw the same type of behavior from British women in Somalia. News crew gets off the small plane on the dirt runway hardly dressed under the equatorial sun. Looking very fetching to me, but appearing as prostitutes to the local men and getting sunburn on that porcelain skin.
Why the willful disobedience to custom and foolish disregard for the sun?
ATB - Attention seeking behavior.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
My take. After seeing the picture and reading the story.

If Dubai is going to build modern facilities and encourage foreign travelers - - - then they need to allow/enforce European rules inside these facilities.

They should have arrested the woman who accosted this woman.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by West Coast

There is no 'battlefield'. We are occupying another country. Something forbidden by the Constitution. Every young person who loses their life there is losing it for NOTHING. Every dollar that is being spent there, that we didn't have to start with, is being THROWN AWAY. Unless of course your some fat cat who is a stake holder in the Mil/Indust Complex.

Anyway, back on topic. That article provided by blueorb throws a whole different light on the subject. Her story sounds much different than the original article. Of course there are three sides to every story. If she was targeted even though others were wearing even less, then that's a game changer IMO.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
She lucky they didn't stone her or chop off her head or take her to a baseball field and shoot her in the head.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by West Coast
Now you are turning this into a subjective morality debate. I find it simple enough, Amazonians are incredibly primitive. They are still stuck in a time where superficiality does not exist in the current state that the modern world currently enjoys. I would say most Mid East nations such as Dubai, are cutting edge in terms of 1st world accommodations.

Or maybe they're just mature and practical enough not to worry about a bit of wang showing ? It depends which way you look at it.

You can't very well defend our culture for deeming some parts of the body ''inappropriate'' to be displayed in public, at the same time as criticising another culture for doing exactly the same.

You're falling back to the - dare I say it - ''primitive'' mindset of basing your opinions on the assumption that the West is right.

Freer than many parts of the world. (as evidenced here in this thread)

You did say: ''Thats the beauty about living in a free society''.
That was what I was picking you up on.

Whether we live in a freer society is a matter for debate, but my point was about your assertion that we are ''free'' in terms of what clothes we can or can't wear in the West, when we obviously aren't.

[edit on 6-8-2010 by Sherlock Holmes]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
If Dubai is going to build modern facilities and encourage foreign travelers - - - then they need to allow/enforce European rules inside these facilities.

No, they encourage foreign travellers to their facilities under the proviso that they obey their laws.

Therefore, it's the foreigner's choice whether he or she is willing to travel there or not.

Judging by the huge numbers of Western people that go there, most people are more than happy to go there and respect their laws and customs.

There is absolutely no reason why the Dubai authorities should compromise their laws in an attempt to pander to foreigners.

Of course the woman that confronted her shouldn't have been arrested, but the silly British girl making the scene, disrespecting the culture of the country that she was a guest in, should have been given a few days in jail, or a hefty fine.

[edit on 6-8-2010 by Sherlock Holmes]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueOrb
Anyone want any more info about anything from here, feel free to ask.

And regarding the poster who thinks America is so great - you are getting your 4rse kicked in Afghanistan, by farmers on motorbikes, just as we are (British), so you're not really that good, are you!!!?

If we are going by strictly body counts, no, we are not getting our "arses" kicked. The enemy has suffered far worse casualties. Usually if I beat someone up, yet a get a few scrapes and bruises from the altercation, I still consider myself having beat said persons ass. This analogy clearly relates to the ongoing conflict in Afghanistan.

Politically, it is becoming a cluster f*ck, that is where we are failing. Not on the battlefield.

And in terms of freedom, the US is far freer than several places, including all the mid east.

WEST COAST YOU ARE CORRECT!

i salute you.

in irak they killed 5000 American solduiers,we killed a 1.4 million of them.

1 american has a kill ratio of 100 to 1.

one american can kill 100 of them before getting killed.

wow,wow,wow.

that is awesome.

remember how 300 geeks defended against a million persians at the battle of thermopile?

we are the modern spartans of the 21st century against the barbaric attackers of the middle east.

we are smart.

nowadays we can kill a terrorist from our living room using remote controlled drones.

they attack.we defend.

i could hug you west coast.you make me proud.

my heart swells with pride.

you are awesome.you showed that guy we can't be defeated on the battlefield or on the debating floor.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes

No, they encourage foreign travellers to their facilities under the proviso that they obey their laws.

That's Bull Pucky. Tourism is a huge trade. There's a difference in being inside a facility built to encourage foreign visitors - - - and being out in the countryside with locals. This woman - foreign tourist - was accosted by a local inside one of these modern facilities - - built to entice tourists.

Of course the woman that confronted her shouldn't have been arrested, ...

Of course she should have been reprimanded. She does not need to agree with foreign culture - - - but foreign tourists inside these facilities - - bring tons of money to the country - - and need to feel comfortable - - - with out fear or reprimands.

Again - - - traveling outside these modern facilities - - build specifically to draw tourism money - - - is a different story.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   

That's Bull Pucky. Tourism is a huge trade. There's a difference in being inside a facility built to encourage foreign visitors - - - and being out in the countryside with locals. This woman - foreign tourist - was accosted by a local inside one of these modern facilities - - built to entice tourists.

Tourism is a huge trade, you are correct.
They built this facility to encourage foreign visitors, you are correct.

They get a huge amount of Western tourists that go there and respect and abide by there laws, so why would they need to change it ?

Everybody that goes to Dubai knows the laws, and consents to them by entering the country.

I cannot fathom why you think Dubai would or should change their rules to pander to Western tourists.
It's like saying that city's Chinatown areas adopt Chinese laws.

Of course she should have been reprimanded. She does not need to agree with foreign culture - - - but foreign tourists inside these facilities - - bring tons of money to the country - - and need to feel comfortable - - - with out fear or reprimands.

Again - - - traveling outside these modern facilities - - build specifically to draw tourism money - - - is a different story.

Why should a woman be reprimanded in her own country for criticising a foreigner that disrespects her country's culture and values ?

Foreign tourists bring tons of money to the country while obeying and respecting the Dubai and Emirati laws and culture, anyway.

I fail to see why Dubai would even consider changing the laws to accommodate a few Western miscreants that violate their laws.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Tourism is a huge trade, you are correct.
They built this facility to encourage foreign visitors, you are correct.

They get a huge amount of Western tourists that go there and respect and abide by there laws, so why would they need to change it ?

Everybody that goes to Dubai knows the laws, and consents to them by entering the country.

I cannot fathom why you think Dubai would or should change their rules to pander to Western tourists.

Guess the government better shut down those bars in the hotels then.

Can't have it both ways.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by HimWhoHathAnEar
There is no 'battlefield'. We are occupying another country. Something forbidden by the Constitution.

War powers are granted to the US congress, under the US constitution. Last I heard, the US congress voted for war with both Iraq and Afghanistan. The war is completely constitutional.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Or maybe they're just mature and practical enough not to worry about a bit of wang showing ? It depends which way you look at it.

Perhaps, but you took it to the illogical extreme. I personally am fine with nudity up to the chest. We also have nude beach resorts also if you are feeling extra frisky.

You can't very well defend our culture for deeming some parts of the body ''inappropriate'' to be displayed in public, at the same time as criticising another culture for doing exactly the same.

Our culture is based on freedom of expression. Our culture is one of tolerance. Their culture is one based upon religious ideology. Why should anyone have to subject themselves to anothers morals?

As I said, keep the religious code for the religious. Its rather simple really.

You're falling back to the - dare I say it - ''primitive'' mindset of basing your opinions on the assumption that the West is right.

In this case, the tolerance approach the west has, is far superior than the primitive theocratic mindset of the mid east. I prefer the secular approach.

You did say: ''Thats the beauty about living in a free society''.
That was what I was picking you up on.
Whether we live in a freer society is a matter for debate, but my point was about your assertion that we are ''free'' in terms of what clothes we can or can't wear in the West, when we obviously aren't.

Now you are just being anal retentive.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhistpunk
Oh no wait they move here have new laws passed, build mosques and call british people racist for celebrating christmas and flying st.George flags..

Please, as an Englishman, enlighten me as to what new laws have been passed to specifically accomodate muslims in any way.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by lasertaglover

To all those who say to obey their customs, no tyvm, their sh*t is corrupt and sexist as HELL, if I would even go to that sh*******, there's no GD way I'd respect their laws, do you all not remember 9/11 did they respect our laws or our children's lives? NO!!!!! WHAT????

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity

To all those who say to obey their customs, no tyvm, their sh*t is corrupt and sexist as HELL, if I would even go to that sh*******, there's no GD way I'd respect their laws, do you all not remember 9/11 did they respect our laws or our children's lives? NO!!!!! WHAT????

Do you hate every Japanese person that you meet because of Pearl Harbor? Do you hate every German for WW II? How can you hate every Muslim for 9/11?

Sir, with all due respect, as an Airborne, combat veteran of the US Army sir, I darn well remember 9/11! I gave blood for this country.

I fought so that this nation of immigrants can be free. So that my Irish neighbor can come over and barbecue with me and my Arabic, Chinese, Black, and Hispanic neighbors and enjoy our community together.

You do not have to respect their laws. But when I was deployed to Saudi, we, the US Army, followed their rules, cause that is how it is done when you are someplace that is not your home. You respect your neighbor's rules.

This post is about a city that has a strict moral code, that is hypocritical about some of it's own rules. And it all started with a news report about a bikini!

If you want to debate the points, please do so. But I do believe that your post indicated prejudice towards everyone over there, and if that is the case...well, please carry yourself out of this thread.

I love my country sir, fought for her. I have not ever tolerated so-called Americans that hate an entire group of people out of pure ignorance. Yes, a group of Muslims attacked us, but we MUST respect the rest of them and their beliefs.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Deny Ignorance

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by lasertaglover

Originally posted by ldyserenity

Do you hate every Japanese person that you meet because of Pearl Harbor? Do you hate every German for WW II? How can you hate every Muslim for 9/11?

Sir, with all due respect, as an Airborne, combat veteran of the US Army sir, I darn well remember 9/11! I gave blood for this country.

I fought so that this nation of immigrants can be free. So that my Irish neighbor can come over and barbecue with me and my Arabic, Chinese, Black, and Hispanic neighbors and enjoy our community together.

You do not have to respect their laws. But when I was deployed to Saudi, we, the US Army, followed their rules, cause that is how it is done when you are someplace that is not your home. You respect your neighbor's rules.

This post is about a city that has a strict moral code, that is hypocritical about some of it's own rules. And it all started with a news report about a bikini!

If you want to debate the points, please do so. But I do believe that your post indicated prejudice towards everyone over there, and if that is the case...well, please carry yourself out of this thread.

I love my country sir, fought for her. I have not ever tolerated so-called Americans that hate an entire group of people out of pure ignorance. Yes, a group of Muslims attacked us, but we MUST respect the rest of them and their beliefs.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Deny Ignorance

Excellent post....and I thank you for your service!

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

Thank you. I only served for three years, but it has been a tradition in my family for a long time. Every single male uncle and cousin, and a couple aunts as well, have at least done a few years in the military. None of us made a career out of it, but my oldest son is enlisting next year, which makes me very proud.

This thread all started with a bikini, lol.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by lasertaglover

Deny Ignorance

First of all it's not SIR it's ma'am or miss or whatever feminine one you want to use hence LDY short for lady, And second they are hideous to their women and downgrading and outright ruthless in their treatment of women, they give them no rights, they own their wives, they are stuck in the middle ages!!!!! I am a pagan and it's the center of my religion to honor both male and female divinity, and I will not like or respect anybody who constantly S**** on the rights of the women!!!! IDGAF. and BTW I also served for America, women have been suppressed and oppressed for way too long...I am not a feminist either, I am an equalist, that's why I defended this country and that's why I despise their point of views, and their ridiculously outdated views on women, if the woman who complained had a brain, she would see she should be thanking this brit instead of putting her down, and causing her problems however, it is said the most dangerous shackles are the ones that one cannot see, personally I think that's the case here, and she is sadly, not very intelligent, because she doesn't see the shackles that horrendous Islamic country has her in, that makes her very very sad and pathetic in my eyes!!!!!

And btw that thing you quoted from the constitution now goes "That all MEN AND WOMEN are created equally", and I will never ever respect any culture that treats their women like slaves/property/and the fall guys of their husbands' inadequecies...as in the women stoned for adultery, hmmmm maybe she wouldn't have to have had an affair if that inadequate husband of hers could satisfy her...." life liberty and the pursuit of happiness" yeah I went there!

And edited to add: I will never see any different point of view, the atrocities the women endure everyday, I think we should just save all the women and children and nuke what's left behind!!!! Especially their government!

[edit on 6-8-2010 by ldyserenity]

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join