It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bikini-Clad Brit Detained in Dubai Mall

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

Exactly! It does seem odd that the sex trade and slavery are both ok. Same moral level?

This video I posted earlier was pretty interesting:

current.com...

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeBombDiggity
See, we go to their countries and have to abide by their rules. They come to our countries and we get slagged off for being racist or culturally insensitive if we don't kowtow to their every wish. I'm sick of it. Talk about being frogmarched down a one way street.

Not true. Over there it's their laws their way of life. The same here but we are more lenient. That's all. I don't know how many eastern Europeans I've seen in jail for smacking their wives around. Over there common practice. Here it'll get you busted.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
I have no pity for this woman. Any logical person knows - if you visit a foreign country LEARN THE LAWS OF THE LAND and ABIDE BY THEM. Its very simple to do!

Eggs-Act-Leeeee!!!
What a moron.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by lasertaglover
Exactly! It does seem odd that the sex trade and slavery are both ok. Same moral level?

You are looking at this from a western perspective and a puritanical one too I might add. Sex is not the big taboo in countries like it can be in western ones.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

Yes, it would be against the rules in all of those countries you listed. But so would Slavery. And while it is illegal in Dubai, it is overlooked.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
According to a PR guy for a hotel in UAE:

As the Public Relations Manager of a hotel that welcomes both business and leisure travellers in Abu Dhabi,UAE, I am sending along culturally-correct clothing hints for women. Dress code in UAE: You are allowed to dress the way you like, but you will attract less attention if your dress or shirt is not sleeveless, nor stretch and you don't wear shorts or mini skirts.

www.journeywoman.com...

Wow, so harsh! Exactly like in America! Oh the humanity!

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
This thread is completely useless without pictures.

That being said, do I think the laws in Muslim countries are BS? Yep. However, if you are visiting, you need to follow those laws. If you get hemmed up, too f**king bad. Lesson? When you are playing in someone else's sandbox, you follow their rules. I think this gal is going to get some jail time, and whine and complain about it.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

No jail time. She was released without charge.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross
No jail time. She was released without charge.

Damn, I was actually looking forward to the "whinefest".

I crack myself up sometimes.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by lasertaglover

This video I posted earlier was pretty interesting:

current.com...

Just like the video says..."to keep the businessmen coming back".....they sold out for $$$$$.....that's what it's all about. They have to make accommodations for those they do business with, and sex is and always has been a big money maker. It doesn't seem right if they would be true to their beliefs, but the almighty dollar corrupts and always will. I don't think this HAS a moral level....it's ALL about money, and keeping those who have it coming back.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

You think I am puritanical: "Rigorous in religious observance; marked by stern morality"?

I already said I like Reno earlier. So, huh?

Sex is great, and personally, I think prostitution should be legalized across this country so that the STD rate could be reduced through constant monitoring. And if we taxed it, with how horny Americans are, we would be out of debt in no time.

You are missing my point. Why is it ok for them to strictly enforce morality by day, and ignore it by night. Why don't they actively hunt down those that own sex slaves there?

I take issue with their double standard, and I am just trying to understand it better.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by lasertaglover

I didn't say YOU were puritanical, the western system is. And I agree. Carlin said it best. "Sex is legal. Selling is legal. Why shouldn't selling sex be legal?"

As to the double standard, I don't know. I haven't been to Dubai.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Yes, Dubai has little in the way of oil resources, and a lot of debt due to the contruction boom and associated financing bust. They can't afford to have principles.

I'd encourage our heroine to try that in Abu Dhabi, or Saudi Arabia. Then at least she might get deported. After all who needs such an unpleasant foreigner in their country who just wants to disturb the local people?

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   

So does the pursuit of money allow them to morally usurp their own moral code when it suits them?

They do have a global reputation of the place to go for Sexy Women of all types.

I love how in Vegas, they hand out baseball cards of hookers on them, with numbers to call. It cracks me up everytime I see them and I go to Vegas often with my wife. I think it represents how honest Vegas is. Vegas declares to the world that is ok to have as much 'Sin' as possible. But even they bust an occasional prostitute, and they do not allow slavery.

People around the world know Amsterdam is a great place to smoke dope. Reno for legal sex in the US. And Dubai has the international reputation of 5 star luxury, and great sex, especially to men of 'some' nearby countries in the Middle East. They go there for sex.

Dubai declares to the world that they are a Muslim country, with every luxury in the world, and that they ignore sexual slavery.

Weird Public Relations platform to stand on.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   

You just compared the Muslim country of Dubai to Vegas. That's a bad thing? It's often said here that Muslim nations are too strict. Too Muslim. Now this country is going western and it's a bad thing?

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Nope.

My reference was directed at the level of hypocrisy.

Vegas is honest about itself. Sin City!!!!

Dubai INGORES, but at the same ALLOWS, slavery, while at the same time promoting the teachings and values of Islam.

Doube standard and hypocritical.

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia is also an Islamic city. They do not have hypocrisy regarding sex and slavery. And they have many Western concepts, from technology to fast food. And without our sexual hunger in the West.

It can't be just the money that has made Dubai the way it is, because there is a LOT of money in Riyadh, with amazing places to eat and see. I really liked Riyadh, and I think that I would personally love Dubai, and I hope to go there some day.

I just don't get their hypocrisy, or refusal to confront bondage.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Ah but doesn't SA have a lot of oil money? Dubai doesn't to my knowledge. And you are right, it's about money.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   

But aren't there other countries in the Middle East, both rich and poor, that are like Saudi and Dubai? Some that are rich and do not allow it and follow Islamic law to the letter, some that are poor and follow Islamic law to the letter, and than also the opposite, countries that allow sexual slavery, and proclaim to follow Islamic law?

I think money contributes to this concept, but I do not get the full 'why' of the hypocrisy.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Apparently so.....unfortunately. Sorry for the short reply, but I am off to work. I have some more to add, and I'll try to come back tomorrow. Hypocrisy rules the world **evil laugh**

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Hypocrisy does rule the world indeed. Nice laugh

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join