It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God Doesn't Have a Religion

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
What if we're not our bodies but our souls? Can't we be like light too? I happen to think our souls share the same nature as the Holy Spirit. Perhaps before we are trained/traumatized on earth, we are capable of feeling the same sort of love for people.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by 547000
What if we're not our bodies but our souls? Can't we be like light too? I happen to think our souls share the same nature as the Holy Spirit. Perhaps before we are trained/traumatized on earth, we are capable of feeling the same sort of love for people.

You are onto something.

Have you ever asked your self: Who is in charge of you?

Is it your brain/mind or is it YOU. Do you make the choices or is it your brain/mind.

Have YOU ever been able to make up your mind

[edit on 27.06.08 by spy66]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Mary Rose

Space is energy. Space time has energy within it. It must. It moves, therefore it has energy.

Dark matter and Dark energy have been proven. Just not observed. The same was true for the photon and electron until we developed cameras fast enough to capture them.

The proof is in, for example, what we have seen in space. There is a galaxy of hydrogen that has not enough matter to match its gravity. Upon further observation, the gravity levels are correct for estimates of dark matter.

Dark matter and dark energy are also no the same thing. One expands, one contracts. Dark energy is what causes the universe to expand, dark matter is like a heavy graviton. it's just a multiplication sign for gravity.

reply to post by slugger9787

Animals do, in fact, have guilt. For example, a whales have been observed having guilty feelings when they help humans and then a human hurts them. The guilt of helping those who harmed you causes them to have violent outbursts. We also see some level of guilt in apes and other emotional animals.

reply to post by Annee

That's not exactly true. You can create whatever you want in your head, but the physical world has not been changed other than through human hands. This silliness is nothing more than that. If everyone believed gravity did not exist, it would still exist. That's because when gravity was first introduced, no one believed it. Yet it still existed. Newton than had to prove to them it existed, until finally it was accepted.

Nobody also believed there were planets. Galileo had the proof, but the world rejected him. Jupiter was there regardless of if you believe it or not.

To say we create our own reality is simply a lie. A better way of saying it would be you can chose to lie about your reality or not.

I chose not to lie about my reality.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91

That's not exactly true. You can create whatever you want in your head, but the physical world has not been changed other than through human hands. This silliness is nothing more than that.
r

Excuse me - did I refer to your viewpoint as Silly?

I am not engaging in a debate with you on who is right or wrong.

I am stating what my belief/viewpoint is. Your viewpoint in no way negates mine.

I do not agree or accept your viewpoint.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Dark matter and Dark energy have been proven. Just not observed.

I believe you are incorrect to say they've been proven, but I don't want to take the thread off-topic debating physics.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   

It is not just religion, it's our "whole" lives that have been controlled from the day we were born. Our parents were born into this and they taught us how they were taught and so on.

Our whole lives we have been told what is right and wrong and we just accept this because we were told to.

If you try and stay positive and look around, you will be able to see the negative and positive around you.

Watch for people who try and interupt you while you are talking, they are just trying to throw you off course.

negative will also try and stop you from knowing the truth no matter how negative things get just remember to stay positive and be true to yourself. When you do things that you feel is good or bad those things are recorded and added to a scale. Once it tips one way or the other its hard to bring it back into balance but with hard work it can be done.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Trudge

YAY! For the Hippie movement.

At least they helped many break "form" and think away from the establishment.

It really was a major turning point in our lives.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Trudge

What would you describe yourself as, Trudge?

An Atheist? "i belief there is no God?"

or strong assertive Atheist "There is no God"?

Or

Agnostic/Deist?

Peace

[edit on 9/8/10 by awake_and_aware]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Well what can I say? I try to keep as close to science as possible. So it's kind of fact, not opinion. It's a simple question. Why did reality not obied to man's viewpoint for Galileo and others before hand? After all. The whole world believed that either the world was flat, or it was round and you could get to Asia. Why did the Americas not just stop existing?

Reality is set in stone. You can chose to ignore reality and lie to yourself or you can accept it and change it with your hands and knowledge.

CAN you show me an example of your beliefs being true?

www.universetoday.com...

We can continue it in PM if you like. I love science and find it very linked to God or god mind or whatever you want to call it.

[edit on 9-8-2010 by Gorman91]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

From the OP: Organized religion is part of the problem we face on earth - not the solution. I think that many of the endless arguments people have where they're just spinning their wheels and getting absolutely nowhere in solving problems - is caused by people defending their religion. We don't need organized, man-made religion. We need to connect to each other after first connecting to that universal life force, which is God.
----------------------------------------------------------------

You think in a physical world - I don't. End of discussion. Maybe you should start a thread.

Back to subject.

ADD ON: Sorry Gorman - - not trying to be rude. What you want to get into is too far off topic. Its like God or No God. I am an Atheist. Its kind of a "never the twain shall meet".

[edit on 9-8-2010 by Annee]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Well in truth you and I are inventing our own organized religion. Is in not true that science is like an organized religion to your eyes? after all I view you and others like you as organizing their own type of religion. These mass-thought experiments? Personal experience discussions? That and all the rest look to me like rituals to attempt to create proof.

organized religion naturally comes about when people hold common beliefs and opinions. Organized religion really is nothing more than a different version of a nation or ethical view point.

And to that end one has to ask the same question. What proof? Is there proof for these people who hold common belief. Is there proof Mohammad soared through the stars? Is there proof Jesus resurrected? Is there proof you create your own reality? There are ways of proving it. Indirect observation seems to tell us that thousands of people being Christian only a few years after Christ means they saw something to make them believe. Indirect observation of the foot prints of "The Rock" in Jerusalem seem to indicate Mohammad was, in fact, there, and who knows what happened.

However, there is no indication that mass thought experiments are true, nor that people create reality.

So one has to ask. Why do you believe it?

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Atheism is not a religion.

Please see thread: www.belowtopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
in short..... faith is the belief in something without evidence. As the christians or the muslims claim there is a God, the burden of proof is on them, not the atheist to claim it wrong.

Atheism isn't equal to any Theistic or Deistic belief, because atheism doesn't make the unnessasary assumption, they do not hold the belief.

For all i know the universe could be a large cell within a membrane, or the universe is just an existence that has always been, maybe infinite. I wouldn't assume an infantile theory such as a cosmic being or overlord.

Its like betting theres a pink invisible unicorn, if i held that belief, would you feel it was equal to your lack of belief in it? Would you call your lack of belief in it faith? no, you don't have faith in it.

Basically religion claims it knows there is an invisible unicorn, and they know that its pink. They know there's a God and they know what he thinks and feels. To a serious person, this seems obviously false.

Thats what every religion ammounts to.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

You have faith in that which cannot be proven. How is it not a religion?

If what you say is not a religion, then religion does not exist.

reply to post by awake_and_aware

We discusses this already. The universe is infinite. Therefore anything is statistically possible. Even a pink unicorn. And to be honest, a narwhal evolving onto land basically would be that.

Both the age and complexity of the universe combined with the relativistic ease of life being created demands that at the lowest level, a reaper-like "god" exists out there.

Once you add infinite, anything within the realm of possibility of the physical universe is basically certain. Biological gods are possible. So it must exist out there somewhere because the universe is infinite. And because there is something like 5x10^92 molecules out there with infinite iterations of big bangs and infinite iterations of matter, it is almost guaranteed that at the minimum, a mortal, to some extent, "god" exists.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   

You just asked Annee what i just explained.

Religion is man made, It is organised based on the original scriptures and has rituals, ceremonies in the name of their Deity, and they gather or label themselves in the name of that religion. Atheists do not gather, do not congrugate, they do not have faith, as they don't hold irrational beliefs that require faith.

Theres no Church of Atheism, we don't keep finding The Atheist God in pieces of fruit and toast.

You can't prove the existence of God, but you have faith he is there.... how can you prove he is the Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Judaic God? How can you prove he is like what is depicted in those scriptures?

Atheists don't claim they know God exists, let alone know the God's wishes are, they don't sing hyms, gather and commune on "sacred" days. We don't go door to door pestering peoeple.

Its like saying someone who does believe in Evolution has some sort of religion against it or has some sort of faith. It just doesn't make sense.

Religion is falsifiable on simple deductive logic, and the fact it is man-made and man cannot demonstrate the existence of God, even if he DOES exist.

Whats so hard to understand about that? Atheism is NOT a religion.

If you really havn't understand any of my points on how Atheism is NOT a faith, and secondally and most obviously is not a religion. We don't go door to door asking people to join either you may have noticed.

And again....and again....

You seem arrogant enough to claim the universe is infinite, that has not been proven yet but it's a possibility. This still does not explain why anyone would believe in a God if they believe the universe is infinite, it's a separate thing all together.

Don't think i'm arrogant from the possibility of infinity, i've looked at the fibonacci sequence/spiral, i've looked at the mandelbrot set and Nassim Haramein's quantam theory/grand unification theory.

Socrates has long since been refuting beliefs in the supernatural just some time after Jesus was allegedly emaculately concieved. Not believing in this nonsense does not mean you have a religion.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   

I was talking about all her outer body stuff. That is faith in what cannot be proven. So why is it not religion?

We have pretty much proven that the universe is infinite. the matter is finite in an infinite space that collapses and contrasts every couple of trillion years. This is true because when dark energy decays, there will be no force pushing the universe out, and so space time will fall in on itself and the system restarts.

because this cycle effectively makes the universe infinite, anything is possible.

This does somewhat make an interesting off topic discussion. IE, why are there no time travelers? Well that's assuming we made it that far.

What can be proven is that it took us 4 billion years to get this far on earth and the universe is 15 billion years old.

That is long enough for a biological god.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   

I was talking about all her outer body stuff. That is faith in what cannot be proven. So why is it not religion?

Ok, i'll put it simpler:-

Deism has faith that there is a God, they could not possibly attempt to say what God is like or what is wishes are. They do not have a theory of God.

Theists or Theologians, which is RELIGION. Is Where a theory of God and his desires is devised in scripture form. You conform and organise based on the scriptures, sing hyms relating to it, perform rituals.

You either conform to God and those wishes or you don't. You either join the religion and label yourself or you don't. If you don't that doesn't mean you hold a religion yourself. It just means you don't want to believe in that.

Deism is not a religion, nor is Atheism, you could be a homosexual or snake-charmer, just because you call yourself that name doesn't mean you have a religion. You don't have to adbide by any certain rules that come along with calling yourself a member.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

It is not faith. It is not religion.

Tell me - - what does it take to get you to move on?

[edit on 9-8-2010 by Annee]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   

What can be proven is that it took us 4 billion years to get this far on earth and the universe is 15 billion years old.

The OBSERVABLE universe is actually 13.7 billion years old but whatever.

That is long enough for a biological god.

What are you on about, if that's long enough time for a biological God, who made the universe in the first place if it would take "long enough for biological god"

Lets get this fact straight: Man has not proved the universe is inifinite yet, if he does, that still does not prove any theory of universal creator or designer, it still does not.

Now this topic is about whether God has religion, lets discuss that. If you want to discuss time travel, quantam theory, the nature of the universe may i suggest finding another thread.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

How is it not faith? It is something that you claim that cannot be proven.

In architecture, people like that claim themselves modernists. The rest of the architectural community call them lazy.

No offense, but this basically means you don't have any interests in knowing and say to hell with it and give up.

I mean, I've seen proof that Muslims, Jews, and Christians are all correct in their beliefs and that their convictions can be proven. I'd even go so far as to say Islam can pretty much prove mostly every aspect of their religion far more and far better than any Christian can.

Does that make me deist? I don't think so. I am sure my God exists. But that doesn't mean that other's can be right, just misinterpreted. Whose to say Muhammad didn't go up to heaven and God really did talk with him. I'm just not convinced he got everything right.

So what. Does that make me a Deist Christian hybrid?

From what I can observe, deist and atheist are just as much titles as Christian. Herp Derp, there is a God I'm a Christian. Herp Derp, there is no God, I'm an athesit. Herp Derp, I don't know, I'm a deist.

At the end of the day, it's a title. And every human has rituals in some way shape and or form. Be it taking a crap at a regular time or praying to God 5 times day. The only people without rituals are dead.

Anyway, the only reason I go to church is to hear what a priest thinks about the gospel.

I don't have to go to church. I could literally not pray or do any rituals other than taking a crap at the right time a day, and still believe in God. What does that make me?

As a kid I did not have religious rituals, I was forced to church. My ritual was eating 3X a day. As an atheist my rituals were my daily video game playings or something. And as a Christian my rituals are pretty much none existent. I don't have to go to church. I really see no point to it. Most of the time I'm not even listening.

So exactly how am I different than you or anne other than there being a God or not.

A title is a title. and religion is a concept. I see people dancing to God and spasming to God. That's their choice. I don't. Maybe that's religion, but as far as I can tell, the only ritual I do with desire is my daily crap, my noon sun bathing, and my afternoon nap.

We kind of have proven it. The universe expands do to negative energy. Everything decays, including negative energy. When everything is decayed, the universe restarts by contrasting. That means there is no need for a beginning or end.

That makes it infinite.

That also means the future is infinite. meaning someone from the future has already done whatever they wanted to the past. In fact, if I needed proof that humanity is doomed, it would be the lack of time travelers. It means no one from our species has traveled back in time. Meaning we all died sometime in the next hundred or so years.

new topics

top topics

<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join