It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats are against the First Commandment.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
This is a radio interview with Congresswoman Sharon Angle.

Audio: Onward Christian Soldiers

Am I misunderstanding something here?

"Programs built to make government our god?"

"Violation of first commandment?"

Thou shalt put no other gods before me?

"Government is a false idol to be resisted."

I understand some fundamental things.

This was on a Christian radio show. Different kind of audience.

Her right is to be and believe anything she wants to be and believe. Granted. Whatever helps her get through her job...I guess she's representing the people who elected her, right?

But is our government supposed to be run this way? She's at war for god? Making decisions in Congress based on what god wants her to do? Did I hear that right? Battling a false god?

I do agree with some fundamental issues...we shouldn't rely on our government to protect us or for food. And maybe this is just her way of saying that to this audience. However, is she really voting as if this was some sort of Christian against "something" war?

Aren't some Democrats Christians too?

Are there many people in Congress who feel this way? Help me understand? Is this just a different way of putting things?

(Please delete if already posted...couldn't find it, but...).

This is her too...just to put a face on her...

[edit on 8/4/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
To me the whole left vs right thing, is a joke. It should be no surprise to anyone that the media portrays conservatives as christian fundamentalists, who are intolerant against anyone who doesn't agree with them. And liberals, well the exact opposite. You would never know if a democrat is a christian because this isn't how the media would like them portrayed. I would suppose you'd have to ask them yourself. Its like a wrestling match, pointing and wagging their fingers at each other when in full view, then behind closed doors, having a beer together and laughing at it all

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

I couldn't understand what she was stating anyway, went right over my head with all the scriptures. I'm not close to God it may seem but in all seriousness can you explain more simply and clearly what she was trying to state.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by The Endtime Warrior

Well to be fair, it isnt just the media (whom I have no love for) portraying conservatives as being in bed with fanatical Christians. The conservatives embraced the fanatical Christians for their own ends, (to get voters) and as these fanatical Christians have gotten more and more looney, they are stuck with the political fallout from that decision.

Ditto for the left when they embrace amnesty for illegal aliens in order to gain voters, or how the words of Obamas nutjob preacher have come back to haunt him. You reap what you sow.

You associate with nutjobs in politics, you cannot cry foul when your opponents publicize your foolishness for all the world to see.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

You are absolutely right, its not just the media. That is only one part of the machine. It helps keep the machine oiled, and turning. What is a joke is the machine itself. Whomever invented the machine is far more clever than the average american. That is readily apparent when people jump to a side and start "cheering" for their side. Guess what side Im on? neither.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Crimson_King

She is saying in a crazed way, that the first Commandment is "I am the Lord your god, you shall have no other gods before me, and dont worship idols."

Without explaining how this is so, but presumably because of some policy she doesnt like, she is claiming that government is either a god, or an idol, that people are worshipping ahead of the God she believes in.

Now she never clarifies how a government with a strict dictate of separation of church and state could be either a god or an idol. She is claiming it, and she wants you to just agree.

And, if you agree, you must accept her premise, that this is a violation of the first Commandment not to worship idols or have other gods before the one God, and so she goes on a little "war, war, war" love fest.

She is ignoring the Bibilical teaching by the Jesus Christ whom her religion supposedly follows to "give Cesare what is Caesars and God what is Gods," which ALSO argues for a separation of Church and State.

Frankly, she is ranting. There is no logical or Biblical basis to her argument.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Being a Zen Buddhist, I doubt I'll ever really have to deal with the issue of my religion taking over politics. The last time it really was an issue anywhere to the best of my knowledge was in Ancient China.

As for the United States, yes there are a good number of Democrats whom are Christian, I remember reading horribly sensationalist stories in journalism school about how President Kennedy was a Catholic written by Protestants when he was running. President Johnson was a Protestant, President Carter is a Baptist, as is President Clinton, and a majority of currently serving Democrats in federal government are Christian as well.

The Democratic Party as a whole though generally tends to follow the Carter Doctrine when it comes to religion, keeping their faith more private and generally not using it to score political points by wearing it on their sleeves.

This has allowed the more vocally Christian members of the Republican party to gain a greater number of votes especially from the more conservative denominations. However the courting of the Religious Right proved to be a rather harshly double-edged sword in that it has come to completely dominate several of their members, to the point where absolutely insane arguments like the one the OP has pointed out are being made.

I personally think it's tragic.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Sharron Angle is a lunatic, there is no doubt.

This isn't the first example of crazy that she's displayed --- not by a long shot.

But, I fear that the extreme-right (of the religious bent) are once agian infiltrating the poliltical scene in this country.

Remember the so-called "Moral Majority"?? Forget when, a decade or so back...

Heck, it may even have started as far back as with that orange juice lady, the religious nut from Florida...and her weird obsession with Gays, and the alleged "evils"...what was her name?? ANITA BRYANT!!!

It's been almost 35 years since Anita Bryant an American singer, former beauty queen, star, and pitchwoman for companies like Coke and Florida Orange Juice started her venomous ‘Save Our Children’ campaign against homosexuals in Dade County, Florida that spread throughout the nation and led to an upswing in violent attacks, including murder, against gays...

www.back2stonewall.com...

I know...this may seem like a stretch, but I find that it really isn't too far-off a comparison.

Sharron Angle is just ANOTHER Anita Bryant, waiting to burst forth from her pod....

More proof that she's off her rocker:

She admires Tom Coburn, Jim DeMint, and Michele Bachmann.

...yet another loon...

..... She also defends her advocacy for a Church of Scientology-developed quack drug therapy program by claiming Scientologists are the victims of religious persecution.

Sharron Angle ... defends Scientolgoy to conservative press.

I find it amazing that a self-proclaimed "christian" would 'defend' $cientology!! (Just Google "Sharron Angle Scientology" for some hits...)

Is this the act of a sane person?

I think a more thorough search will uncover many, many more examples of an unbalanced individual...

Meet Sharron Angle

Unfortunately, with support of the "Killa from Wasilla", and Harry Reid's looming unpopularity....well, get ready for more crazy train action in Congress, come next year....

Should be great fodder for late-night TV comedians, anyways.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   

In all seriousness, I'm sorry but I can't. That's why I asked for help.

I think for one thing, it's just a segment of the the interview, but it was enough to make me have more questions.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

I remember Anita well. Wow.

Do you think she's one of Sarah Palin's Mama Grizzlies? Is that what we're facing here?

Just saw a Fox blog headline that said she's the Tea Party favorite and running against Reid, who is ahead in polls 52% to 36%.

And there's this just breaking about this very audio Angle: Democrats want to 'make government our God'

Thanks for all the reading material. Again, I guess if the people elect her, she's a Senator. I hope they know what they know what they're doing. I swear that's not tongue-in-cheek.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity

In all seriousness, I'm sorry but I can't. That's why I asked for help.

I think for one thing, it's just a segment of the the interview, but it was enough to make me have more questions.

I pulled the whole interview and I'll watch it later tonight and post what she was getting at. My insomnia is raging and I think I'm just going to stick it out so it gives me something to do. I'll post it up in a little bit but so far I think this has to do primarily with the idea of anti-materialism that is inherent to most branches of Christianity being taken to an extreme level. The primary theological thinking for the anti-materialist ideology comes from both old and new testament, with the rejection of the (materialist) Golden Calf by God through Moses and through Jesus' rejection of the commercialization of the temple, among many other references.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by fred call

Golly, you so funny guy! Much happy time, post reading from you...vewy, vewy funny!

Gud show!

My monkey uncle think so too....he laugh, and laugh (but hide face, dunno why .. ?)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a6d601cdebe7.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
OK, I've been married for over 20 years so I think this won't be a surprise. I'd hit Sharron.

That said, Jesus said it best, didn't he always? "Honor unto Caesar the things dedicated to Caesar. Honor unto God the things dedicated to God." Rough translation, I know but it gets the point across. THAT is why the separation of church and state are so important.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Well, I'm against the first commandment too. What's wrong with that? It's not like we're sending YOU to your hell.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

She's a loon !!
Take off your beer goggles please

And yeah, get the religion out of politics people, it makes people crazy.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solasis
Well, I'm against the first commandment too. What's wrong with that? It's not like we're sending YOU to your hell.

The issue here comes into one of national divine retribution. There is a theory in some conservative Christian traditions that an entire nation can be judged by God for their "sinful" nature. According to this the United States or any other nation could be subject to hardship and disasters as punishment by God on a massive scale like the great biblical disasters. While according to Genesis, God promised never again to cover the entire planet in a worldwide flood, lesser disasters are still seen by some as an act of punishment from above.

Followers of this idea therefore would promote what they consider to be a righteous path for their nation as a whole out of fear of these purposeful divine retributions.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by The Endtime Warrior

Yeah, I've always been out of the mix too. Parties and sides just never made sense to me. Now it's getting even stranger. I'm still trying to understand where she's coming from.

Have read over all the posts, and it's beginning to make sense about materialism and Caeser. What level of government would ever please someone like this? Maybe their own country? I'll tell you right about now I'm feeling like they're trying to take over this one.

I'm never buying into religion and government mixing. I can separate the two quite well. It's not that hard. it's about understanding and respect and boundaries. Everyones's.

I know it won't ever come to that...religion and government mixing...but it's going to be a challenge to prevent that...I can see this now.

Oh and Intrepid? I agree with Solasis. Take them off!!!

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Okay so I did a bit more research as well as watching the whole interview, and sorry I am getting back to this so late, or in my case early but I did get some sleep haha!

It almost sounds like she is talking about Christian Dominionism, at least she skirts close to it. I don't want to put words into the candidate's mouth too much here but at least some of her ideas are borrowed from the movement.

Christian Dominionism is split between hard and soft approaches, but the end result is to at least infuse American law and governance with a conservative Christian version of biblical law, if not replace it outright.

The thinking here is that an American nation that operates under biblical principals will be a blessed and favored nation in the eyes of God. Instead of divine retribution, there would be a set of positive consequences, miracles and the like placed upon the given nation.

Generally the Dominionist will hold at least in some form or another that the United States Founding Fathers were Christians, and envisioned a Christian nation at the founding of the country. They can go so far as to believe that the 1st Amendment applies to different denominations of Christianity as opposed to all religion, and that the Treaty of Tripoli is in error, although others instead believe simply that such things need to be changed in order to bring them into line with Christian thought instead of being designed as such outright.

Some conservative Christian Republicans in the past have attempted to run on platforms that included a few of the aspects of Dominionism, such as Governor Huckabee's intention to write God into the US Constitution during his presidential run in 2008, but generally the American voting populace has largely rejected these attempts and sought out a more moderate interpretation of religion in politics.

There is also a large portion of Christians that reject the ideas of Dominionism, specifically anyone whom would have problems with Neo-Calvinism as those wishing to turn a given nation into a Christian one draw heavily upon it.

Most moderate and liberal denominations within the United States specifically also harshly criticize Dominionists because of teachings in the Bible that dictate differentiation between religions and nations. These ideas of separation became more popular within mainline Protestantism and Catholicism during the Early-Modern period, which is around the same time the United States was founded.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   
I want to say that there are ppl on both sides of the aisle that are
for the 1st commandment, but it is just a new list for the
new GAIA religion.

THE MESSAGE OF THE GEORGIA GUIDESTONES

1. Maintain humanity under 500,000,000 in perpetual balance with nature.
2. Guide reproduction wisely - improving fitness and diversity.
3. Unite humanity with a living new language.
4. Rule passion - faith - tradition - and all things with tempered reason.
5. Protect people and nations with fair laws and just courts.
6. Let all nations rule internally resolving external disputes in a world court.
7. Avoid petty laws and useless officials.
8. Balance personal rights with social duties.
9. Prize truth - beauty - love - seeking harmony with the infinite.
10.Be not a cancer on the earth - Leave room for nature - Leave room for nature.

www.radioliberty.com...

They make their intentions painfully clear.

It was clearly stated on the stage by professor Pianka.

en.wikipedia.org...

It was outlined by our current science czar in his co-authored book
eco-science.

www.foxnews.com...

It is mentioned by The Club of Rome in "Limits to Growth"
they use much the same verbage.

en.wikipedia.org...

There is more, but these are the larger scale ones that are
paid for by the round table groups that are the real government
in the shadows pulling the puppet strings of the puppets we think
we elect who end up serving the interests of the elite.

Good Luck to all the good ppl !

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join