It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Intentionally sealed Tunnel under Sun pyramid on Teotihuacan found! Sealed 250AD!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+58 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Teotihuacan tunnel thrills archaeologists
By Mark Stevenson

Teotihuacan, Mexico - A long-sealed tunnel has been found under the ruins of Teotihuacan and chambers that seem to branch off it may hold the tombs of some of the ancient city's early rulers, archaeologists said on Tuesday.

Experts say a tomb discovery would be significant because the social structure of Teotihuacan remains a mystery after nearly 100 years of archaeological exploration at the site, which is best known for the towering Pyramids of the Moon and the Sun.

No depiction of a ruler, or the tomb of a monarch, has ever been found, setting the metropolis apart from other pre-Hispanic cultures that deified their rulers.

Wow, this is really cool. Imagine what else is awaiting under there.
Any comments?

LINK

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Absolutely amazing
I can't wait to see what discovery's this leads too
nice find op

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by bestideayet

This could be a major discovery along the lines of Tutankhamun's tomb...great significance. Although it's far from certain they've found a ruler's tomb, it's easy to imagine their excitement if they do!

Here's an image of the tunnel...Indian Jones anyone?

Photo: CNMH INAH. Copyright

"The whole process could take two more months of work, as we continue with the same systematic exploration that we have done from the start to avoid losing important information that lets us know what activities the citizens of Teotihuacan performed thousands of years ago and why they decided to close it, "said archaeologist Sergio Gomez.

So far, 200 tons of earth have been withdrawn, he said, while doing this we have found about 60,000 pieces of artifacts and pottery.
Archaeologists Find Tunnel Below the Temple of the Feathered Serpent in Teotihuacan

Two months isn't a long time to wait in the scheme of things. We could be looking at the first ever images of Tehotihuacan's rulers by Christmas. Gotta say I'm quite stoked just thinking about it!

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I can't remember where I read it, but it was a very ancient greek book with prophecies etc. and it said that Alexander the Great was sent from God to many places on earth to seal the tunnels leading to the underworld as in Hollow earth etc. where God had banned all the Nephilim. Those egyptian "gods" too. (I don't recall all their names but it's those creatures with the head of a wolf, bird etc..)

Anyways, he sealed them with a glass like mass and put everywhere greek symbols on the seal.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I wonder if anything could come from the 'huge underground cavern/tunnel network' theory to explain the incas disappearing in relation to this. I mean, big underground tunnel, they ain't even explored the whole thing yet! Can't wait. If I hear nothing I'll be not suprising to say the least.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Hellas,

I'd be interested in knowing what book you are talking about. If you come across the name, please post it. Thanks.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
amazing find.... anyone have an update or more info on this?

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Awesome find!

As Kandinsky said, this could be a huge discovery. It sounds like it may be completely undisturbed.

Now, lets all hope that the tunnel isn't sealed with precisely 2012 boulders

S&F

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
"Those egyptian "gods" too. (I don't recall all their names but it's those creatures with the head of a wolf, bird etc..)"

I think what you are referring to is Chimera's.

I am hoping that along with artifacts and the remains of leaders, the tomb also holds examples and depictions of what has been found throughout remains across the globe. I would love to add one more source for outer planetary beings, space travel and the such. Eventually disclosure but for now more ancient documentation. If every ancient civilization tells the same story......how can they be wrong?

[edit on 4-8-2010 by Zippidee]

[edit on 4-8-2010 by Zippidee]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Oh man... thats amazing, sometimes I don't believe these stories on first glimpse and I have to re read it a couple of times before it sinks in. Looking at how impressive the architectural achievements above ground are at Teotihuacan we can only imagine what lies in the 'holier' places below the earth.

ETA: Let's just hope this isn't where the inhabitants of Teotihuacan mysteriously disappeared to... would make for a good horror flick. Drag a whole city into the underground tunnels.

[edit on 4/8/2010 by serbsta]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
What they couldn't get a pic... I hate that....

HEY!!! HEY!!! you all have to see this.... You won't believe your eyes.

(NO PIC)

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by bestideayet

Always interesting to read these type of threads... thanks for posting it.

Not much else to say except i hope to read some more on it at a later date.

Flagged/Starred

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Awesome and i'm certain that it's not the "first" tunnels that they've found.. My main thought is what will they REALLY find? Certainly if it's anything that is "history changing", we won't be told.
Much like egypt, i would guess.

I find it incredibly hard to believe that the Temple of the Sun or the surrounding temples are "tombs". Have you guys ever checked out the ruins? There is much more than meets the eye and MUCH more than "tombs".

Beautiful place and If i could travel back in time, this is one place i'd visit!!

Check out the ruins

Teotihuacan ruins

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
This is fantastic, even though mainstream archeology will slant it to fit their historic model, enough clues should become available for the likes of Hancock, Bauvalb etc.. to perhaps gain some tie ins to their own theories.

I am personally excited to see if they find any more archaic sumerian cuneiform as in the Fuentes Bowl. There are sooo many possibilities with these types of finds.

This has made my day...btw thanks for the pick of the tunnel excavation whomever that was.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Ouroborus2012

You should give more credit to trained researchers. If they suspect there's a tomb, it's because they've good reason to.

All societies bury their leaders in some form of pomp and ceremony. Over the centuries, most of the tombs are lost or looted. Egypt is a popular example, but perhaps Europe is a better one to use. Germany, England and France have had hundreds of rulers prior to the middle-ages. Where are they all? When we find an impressive burial like Sutton Hoo, it's further evidence that rulers are buried in a way that shows status.

The absence of any ruler's tombs in Teotihuacan suggests they either are undiscovered or lost and looted centuries earlier. Sadly, it isn't the supposed 'conspiracy of silence' some guys believe, it's just human nature destroying different preceding cultures or the activities of looters.

If they do discover a tomb, it could well be the most important archaeological find, so far, in this century!

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
That IS before Maya and the great cities. So this would predate civilation.

Most odd.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
they are going to find a microwave, a 1986 cutlass, and ancient bags of drugs. the ancients weren't so different from us after all.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
My first thought was if they would find any more crystal skulls down there. That would be interesting.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Fascinating.

There is a large square chamber at the end of the tunnel, positioned almost directly beneath the Sun pyramid temple.

It is judged to be 10 meters on all sides, so a cuboid room, 33 feet x 33 feet in size. (Masonic connection?)

From the link provided by the OP (thanks):

Ground-penetrating scanner images found the tunnel extends beyond the blockage and ends in a large chamber that measures 10m on each side, lying almost directly beneath the temple. Two smaller chambers appear on either side of the rough-hewn corridor.

The tunnel is roughly 13 feet wide too.

The archaeologists think this may be a tomb or tombs, but there is another possibility.

I'm thinking it may have been similar to European neolithic temples, in as much as being able to 'speak to the gods'.

The 'oracle' or priest goes into the tunnels, and into the cubed chamber. The temple is directly above this underground room, so whoever is in the temple above, asks a question of the gods, (will it rain, will the crops be bountiful, who shall we sacrifice, will we win the coming battle, etc) and the oracle or priest, hidden below answers the questions, or gives direction.

His voice would sound very otherworldly, resonating around the tunnels and chambers, and would be taken for literally the word of the gods.

Maybe the tunnels were sealed, when the public discovered the word of god..wasn't god at all...just a man, pretending to be god instead.

[edit on 4/8/2010 by spikey]

[edit on 4/8/2010 by spikey]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to CYDE_CROWLEY[/url]

That is definitely a thought! Wasn't there a story about putting all of the skulls together in one place?

I was also thinking that this might be the place they "wanted" discovered. Maybe there's a lot more hidden around there, and we'll find more stuff like this.

I don't know if this has been posted, but they've already found ARTIFACTS.... Check it out:

LINK

ROYAL TOMB

BONES OF CHILDREN? WHAT!? It keeps getting more interesting..

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join