It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is ATS attempting to read my browser history???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
This is a little disconcerting. Using firefox, when I came to the ATS site today, a pop-up was blocked. I clicked to see what it was, and it was coming from a different website, I forget what the name was (will post if it I can make it happen again). And when I clicked to show the pop-up I got a blank white page with a URL bar that had the words "browser history and bookmarks" in it. What is this?

Now, MY browser history and bookmarks wouldn't be interesting to anyone, BUT, what if there are people posting on ATS who want to be anonymous? Their bookmarks and history might be something they don't want to share with ATS or whatever third-party is accessing this information.

Maybe this looks more suspicious than it is, but I thought I should warn people just in case, because it seems a bit off to me. Is it the ad service trying to find out what sites I visit in order to tailor more specific ads to me? How Orwellian. I'll continue posting here because I'm sure no one's interested in little old me, but maybe anyone who has something to hide, should be cautious...?

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by burdenofdreams

How savvy are you with computer tech? Are you sure it had something to do with ats? I am sure you wouldn't write this unless you had proof or evidence that this is from ats.

Personally, my computer grinds to a halt after doing a little posting on certain subjects. It is always possible an interloper comes in to the scene posing as ats... A skilled hacker would make a computer work fast, or faster, while collecting data, to allay suspicions.

Don't know much about the subject but it interests me.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   

when you draw a blank or invalid page, it is linking you to YOUR bookmarks and YOUR browser history. This is done by the program firefox, not a website, and is there for your convenience. No need for alarm, hope I was able to help.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Shark VA84

Shark is right. Blank pages cause firefox to pull up your history or your bookmarks. Give it a go, open a tab and click on the url area. See what happens.

Nope, just tried that and nothing happened. Things that make you go hmmm.

Now I have my history disabled but it should have pulled up my bookmarks.

OP, what version are you using? I am using an older version 3.5.1 I had problems with the newer versions so I reverted back to this version.

[edit on 7/31/2010 by endisnighe]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Almost all the sites you visit do this.

ATS included.

You're not delusional, I've seen this too on my browser.

We are all monitored.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
We don't need to read your browser history my friend....we can see what you are doing in your home right now though your computer screen.

Seriously though...its a FF thing...not an ATS thing.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537
Seriously though...its a FF thing..

Really?

I had nothing to do with it.

You may monitor what I am doing online, but you'll never see what is going on right under your noses!

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

One line is forbidden but that reply was very funny.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

I'm using 3.5.11 on a mac.

Second line.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

Very funny. I didn't think it was an ATS thing, it was a different URL so I was assuming it was one of the ad services. I didn't recognize the name.

I wonder why it pulled up a blank page as a pop-up? I believe you that it's an FF thing, but I've never had that happen before. Wish I'd written down the URL it was coming from... D'oh!

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I'm not an expert but I can confirm it is just Firefox. It must be something that they did with the latest updated version. It creeped me out the first time I saw this happen too, but then I realized it was happening all the time; not just here on ATS.

It doesn't seem to accomplish anything though so not sure why they did it. My guess is that FF starts out by checking history and bookmarks as a type of shortcut to loading pages its seen before. I could be wrong though.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
ATS needs a staffer with a background in computer forensics investigations to give a professional assessment, advice, and/or opinion whenever issues like these come up.

Hang on, doesn't ATS already have one?

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
As the others have said, If you click on the URL bar in Firefox when a blank page is open it will say "Search Bookmarks and History" It's just what Firefox does, nothing to worry about

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Sounds normal to me, but, if your paranoid, and a windows user, install Comodo firewall and learn how to use it properly, and YOU can choose what information is sent.

personalfirewall.comodo.com...

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I think I got the fake spyware virus from ATS yesterday. I left all day with ATS open when I got home it was on my computer.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdenofdreams
reply to post by nyk537

Very funny. I didn't think it was an ATS thing, it was a different URL so I was assuming it was one of the ad services. I didn't recognize the name.

I wonder why it pulled up a blank page as a pop-up? I believe you that it's an FF thing, but I've never had that happen before. Wish I'd written down the URL it was coming from... D'oh!

install and use NoScript. It will prevent any unapproved scripts from running. Always allow ads for ATS, as the Amigos are very kind to allow us this forum. But i really am just paranoid to disallow things like "google analytics" from installing cookies on my computer (so i block with Abine).

My ABP has a green shield for ATS, however, and my add-art has it whitelisted.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
Sounds normal to me, but, if your paranoid, and a windows user, install Comodo firewall and learn how to use it properly, and YOU can choose what information is sent.

personalfirewall.comodo.com...

Since Kaspersky is really nailing it right now, i settle for paying for their service and feel very safe and confident on my laptop (it runs windoze).

but if you are going the freebie rout, Comodo is outstanding. It includes a "sandbox" feature that i absolutely love. I have been waiting on some reviews for Sandboxie before using it. But i love the concept of how it works.

but Comodo labs has been doing a pretty good job of keeping ahead of the virus definition curve, too. Much better than Symantec has.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I have been using Comodo Firewall and Avast antivirus for about 2 years now and haven't had a single problem.

I used to run Norton and had no end of problems, including a Trojan that stole my online bank account password

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Symantec // norton are designed to get the Currys guy extra commision on his PC sale, not worth using, Kaspersky is, by far, the best antivirus software. If you want free, AVG was the best, but, and I really hate to admit this, in fact I cannot believe I am going to publicly say this, but microsoft security essentials is great, and doesn't use to many system resources. I am now going to wash my mouth out with soap and water.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

I have been waiting on some reviews for Sandboxie before using it. But i love the concept of how it works.

I've used Sandboxie on a laptop and older PC without any problems. It takes just a few minutes before you can work it out. If you run a browser through it, it only stores the history and bookmarks/favourites within the sandbox. Using FF, you can export the bookmarks or save them as a file. Anything you download has the choice of being saved to your normal documents or a sandboxed version.

I no longer use it, but can vouch for the application. I never had any trouble with it and it doesn't need to update all the time like NoScript does.

Probably a hardcore set-up would be running a Trucrypted virtual operating system with a Sandboxied browser through Tor that features NoScript, AdblockPlus, Comodo Firewall and AVG or Kaspersky. On the other hand, distinctive computer set-ups run the risk of being more identifiable. In that scenario, a bog-standard IE version would be less noticeable to anyone paying attention by becoming part of the herd. Security is a bitch

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join