It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Opposition to the Ground Zero Mosque heats up.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
This information is from an Act for America newsletter I got this morning:

Opposition to the “Ground Zero Mosque” issue has reached critical mass. Well-known public figures, such as Newt Gingrich and Sarah Palin, have spoken out against it. Rick Lazio (candidate for governor of New York) and NY Rep. Peter King have called for investigations of the funding for the mosque. Organizations have created ads opposing it.

Public opinion is rising against the construction of this mosque. A Rasmussen poll released last Friday found that 58% of New Yorkers oppose building the mosque at ground zero, with only 20% in favor. What’s more, 60% doubt that the motivation for the mosque is to showcase the peaceful side of Islam.

www.rasmussenreports.com...

ANDREW G. BOSTOM reports this for the New York Post:

(selected portions)

Imam Feisal Rauf, the central figure in the coterie planning a huge mosque just off Ground Zero, is a full-throated champion of the very same Muslim theologians and jurists identified in a landmark NYPD report as central to promoting the Islamic religious bigotry that fuels modern jihad terrorism.

This fact alone should compel Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly and Mayor Bloomberg to withdraw their support for the proposed mosque.

In August 2007, the NYPD released "Radicalization in the West -- The Homegrown Threat." This landmark 90-page report looked at the threat that had become apparent since 9/11, analyzing the roots of recent terror plots in the United States, from Lackawanna, NY, to Portland, Ore., to Fort Dix, NJ.

At least two of Imam Rauf's books, a 2000 treatise on Islamic law and his 2004 "What's Right with Islam," laud the implementation of sharia -- including within America -- and the "rejuvenating" Islamic religious spirit of Ibn Taymiyyah and al-Wahhab.

In short, Feisal Rauf's public image as a devotee of the "contemplative" Sufi school of Islam cannot change the fact that his writings directed at Muslims are full of praise for the most noxious and dangerous Muslim thinkers.

Also relevant is the Muslim Leaders of Tomorrow program run by the American Society for Muslim Advancement, an organization founded by Rauf and now run by his wife. Among the future leaders it has recognized are one of the co-authors of a "denunciation" of the NYPD report, a counter-report endorsed by all major Wahhabi-front organizations in America. Another "future leader" of interest to New Yorkers: Debbie Almontaser, the onetime head of the city's Khalil Gibran Academy.

More revealing is the fact that Rauf himself has refused to sign a straightforward pledge to "repudiate the threat from authoritative sharia to the religious freedom and safety of former Muslims," a pledge issued nine months ago by ex-Muslims under threat for their "apostasy." That refusal is a tacit admission that Rauf believes that sharia trumps such fundamental Western principles as freedom of conscience.

Wahhabism -- whether in the form promoted by Saudi money around the globe, or in the more openly nihilist brand embraced by terrorists -- is a totalitarian ideology comparable to Nazism or, closer still, the "state Shintoism" of imperial Japan. We would never have allowed a Shinto shrine at the site of the Pearl Harbor carnage -- especially one to serve as a recruiting station for Tokyo's militarists while World War II was still on.

Act for America boasts over 72,000 people have signed their petition to stop this mosque.

If interested you can find the link on their act for America website for verification of the above statement.

(I am not asking anyone to sign this, only posting the info as part of the story.)

[edit on 26-7-2010 by JohnPhoenix]

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I think the issue is simple

State clearly...no religious institutions or symbols to be built there...be it islam, christianity, satanism, buddism, gleep glop, jedi, spagetti monster, etc...none...

Offically, radical religious beliefs destroyed the towers....why put any sort of religious pushing place there? Nope...if anything, a giant shrine of athiesm could go there nicely...(or a starbucks)

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
It's freaking four blocks away and it's not a freaking mosque. And oh, by the way, there's already a mosque four blocks from Ground Zero. Duh.

They're really digging deep. That's okay though...keep pissing off more and more of the billion Muslims in the world.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
It's freaking four blocks away and it's not a freaking mosque. And oh, by the way, there's already a mosque four blocks from Ground Zero. Duh.

They're really digging deep. That's okay though...keep pissing off more and more of the billion Muslims in the world.

You tell me.. if it's 4 blocks away and it's not a mosque.. what is it?

Seems what your talking about is different than this proposed 13 story building. If not please enlighten us.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
*sigh*

Bunch of children crying over spilled milk.

You know if they were trying to build a church we would have NEVER heard about it. This is ignorance and bigotry at it's finest.

Who cares whether they build a mosque at Ground Zero? There's a strip club there too!

You were not attacked by Islam, you were attacked by religious extremists.

Stop confusing bigotry for patriotism.

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
*sigh*

Bunch of children crying over spilled milk.

You know if they were trying to build a church we would have NEVER heard about it. This is ignorance and bigotry at it's finest.

Who cares whether they build a mosque at Ground Zero? There's a strip club there too!

You were not attacked by Islam, you were attacked by religious extremists.

Stop confusing bigotry for patriotism.

~Keeper

Read the link to the New York Post story. The same people who want to build this mosque ARE the religious extremists.

If what the NY Post story says is true, you would be the one confusing patriotism for bigotry.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

But Islam is the only religion that wants to bring their spiritual law to the entire world as the 'main law'.

I would disagree with any organized religion there really....we should have the worlds largest place of free worship there, if anything. A place where people brake bread of all faiths.

I think the 'ground zero' area should not be tied to any one religion. It is a place that marks history (a sad one) in our country and what ever goes there should offer our country growth for what our country stands for...which is freedom of religion.

By choosing 'one' religion' to go there, we build more walls instead of knocking them down.

Just my thoughts

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by LeoVirgo

We aren't "choosing" one religion, how many churches are in the same area? How many synagogues?

Come on now, this isn't about protecting America or honoring those who died on 9/11, it's about people unjustified bigotry of Islam and Muslims in general.

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Im just saying....it would of offered us much growth as a people to build the worlds largest non denominational place of worship there over any 'religion'. Even a place for spiritualists. A place to show that as a people, we can set our beliefs aside and still congregate together.

As long as we have 'one' religion' to represent places so important to so many people and the past of our country, we build walls, not knock them down.

By building a place of non-denomination.....we would of knocked walls down amongst ourselves.

Im just saying, I think we past up the chance to do a great thing there at ground zero....a action that could of brought us together instead of continuing division.

I dont think any 'one' religion should go there...for Im sure all the ones that lost their life there were not of 'one' religion. That area should represent acceptance of all people, faiths, ethnicity, ect....a place for 'all' it should represent.

[edit on 26-7-2010 by LeoVirgo]

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

It's an Islamic center. Sort of like a community center for things like lectures, education, outreach to other religions and the community, where all are welcome to attend.

You're absolutely right though...a 13-floor mosque would be very intimidating.

[edit on 7/26/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Oh I agree with you 100%. It certainly should be a shared community center where all different faiths can go and mingle and learn from each other etc..

But the world is too polarized for that to happen right now. They want to keep this whole Christian--Islam war going for the moment.

I just think that if people are going to get their panties in a twist over a mosque being built, then they should feel the same about the Strip Club down the street and the churches and synagogues..

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   

We aren't "choosing" one religion, how many churches are in the same area? How many synagogues?

Come on now, this isn't about protecting America or honoring those who died on 9/11, it's about people unjustified bigotry of Islam and Muslims in general.

~Keeper

No. it's about the very real fear that the extreme factions will use this place for teaching of the same kind of extreme views that brought down the world trade center towers.

Now, if the government could strictly regulate what is taught there - the good side of Islam then I would have no problem with it.. But we both know that isn't going to happen and it is well known that these extreme factions will use any means to spread their agenda.

If the Christians factions had a habit and history of killing people who do not agree with them and had many large extreme violent factions, I would be wary of them too.

You are the only one I see trying to make this into a bigotry issue.

[edit on 26-7-2010 by JohnPhoenix]

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   

But the world is too polarized for that to happen right now. They want to keep this whole Christian--Islam war going for the moment.

Well we just played right into this game of cards then...

Im in total disagreement with ground zero being a place of 'one' faith.

We had a opportunity, to place a stepping stone to depolarize and begin respect for all people....to make the largest ever place of worship and congregating for all people.

I see this a step backwards, for us, as a species, as a people. And dont get me wrong....I would fell the same if it was any other 'one' religion.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   

it's about the very real fear that the extreme factions will use this place for teaching of the same kind of extreme views that brought down the world trade center towers.

Should fear be the basis we use in determining who gets to build what where?

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

it's about the very real fear that the extreme factions will use this place for teaching of the same kind of extreme views that brought down the world trade center towers.

Should fear be the basis we use in determining who gets to build what where?

It is a valid factor. Hindsight is 20/20. If you burn your hand on a stove one too many times you learn not to do it.. because of fear.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   

No. it's about the very real fear that the extreme factions will use this place for teaching of the same kind of extreme views that brought down the world trade center towers.

I'm trying really hard to not laugh at you John...it's difficult when you say nonsensical things like that. I'm sorry you allow FEAR and PROPAGANDA to dictate your reactions and behaviour.

I urge you to go out and MEET some of these people so you can better understand that they are people just like you and me...

Would you be upset if it was a church being built?

Now, if the government could strictly regulate what is taught there - the good side of Islam then I would have no problem with it.. But we both know that isn't going to happen and it is well known that these extreme factions will use any means to spread their agenda.

Yes, cause lack of government regulation is the problem when it comes to religion right? I don't know anything about the situation cause I dont' live there and I don't make ASSUMPTIONS about people I do not know.

If the Christians factions had a habit and history of killing people who do not agree with them and had many large extreme violent factions, I would be wary of them too.

Really? Ok now I'm laughing. Are you kidding me? Christians according do you, do not have a long history of slaughtering people who don't agree with their ideas or morals?

Alrighty then....

As you've already shown, it IS a bigotry issue. What other cause is there? You already made blanket statements and have shown your dislike for those who follow the teachings of Islam.

Isn't your problem with this because of Bigotry? Or at least dislike for these people?

~Keeper

[edit on 7/26/2010 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix

If that is the case and I'm not saying it is, would it matter where the center is?

You have heard of the Crusades haven't you? Christians massacred Jews, Muslims AND Christians for years.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   

I'm trying really hard to not laugh at you John...it's difficult when you say nonsensical things like that. I'm sorry you allow FEAR and PROPAGANDA to dictate your reactions and behaviour.

I urge you to go out and MEET some of these people so you can better understand that they are people just like you and me...

Would you be upset if it was a church being built?

Yes, cause lack of government regulation is the problem when it comes to religion right? I don't know anything about the situation cause I dont' live there and I don't make ASSUMPTIONS about people I do not know.

Really? Ok now I'm laughing. Are you kidding me? Christians according do you, do not have a long history of slaughtering people who don't agree with their ideas or morals?

Alrighty then....

As you've already shown, it IS a bigotry issue. What other cause is there? You already made blanket statements and have shown your dislike for those who follow the teachings of Islam.

Isn't your problem with this because of Bigotry? Or at least dislike for these people?

~Keeper

Go ahead. laugh all you want. I don't care. The people who read my post and understand it know I'm right.

I do not let "FEAR and PROPAGANDA" dictate my behavior. I said fear is a valid factor. This is true. It causes us to examine the circumstances of the situation in new light.

I do personally know many Islamic people.. an yes, they are just like you and me.. except for the extreme factions of them. Even the normal Islamic people do not agree with them. I am not putting them into one boat as you are trying to make me out to do. Only you are doing that. I have said the same a lot in this thread.

Yes, Christians Do Not have a long history of killing people and using violence. The people you are talking about are the Catholics from the Crusades and those people Are NOT Christians. They were a religious cult that claimed to be Christians and although many people believed them, they do not represent true Christianity at all. people who know the difference know true Christians do not do such things.

You say, " You already made blanket statements and have shown your dislike for those who follow the teachings of Islam. "

This is false and you made it up. I have shown dislike for the extreme factions of Islam who seek to promote terror. The proof is in all my above threads.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
I said fear is a valid factor. This is true. It causes us to examine the circumstances of the situation in new light.

How do you like the idea that the terrorist have won John, at least in your case:

Terrorism is the systematic use of terror especially as a means of coercion.[1] At present, the International community has been unable to formulate a universally agreed, legally binding, criminal law definition of terrorism.[2][3] Common definitions of terrorism refer only to those violent acts which are intended to create fear (terror), are perpetrated for an ideological goal, and deliberately target or disregard the safety of non-combatants (civilians).

en.wikipedia.org...

What ever happened to the "Land of the free and home of the brave"? Those words are ringing hollow now.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Typical Christian Response.

" Ohh they aren't Christians, they don't represent us, even though all their actions were in the name of the same God I pray to."

do personally know many Islamic people.. an yes, they are just like you and me.. except for the extreme factions of them.

So how do you know that the people coming to this mosque will be extremists? Come on now, that's a blanket statement and is false because there is NO way for you to know, based on some silly NY times article that OOZES with bias.

Even the normal Islamic people do not agree with them. I am not putting them into one boat as you are trying to make me out to do. Only you are doing that. I have said the same a lot in this thread.

But in this thread you've stated that YOU KNOW that these folks are extremists who will push their evil Agenda. Which is?

Are they moderates or are they extremists, your contradicting yourself here.

~Keeper

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join