It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need help understand Buddhism!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I have listened to a lot of stuff on Buddhism and read a few books on Zen. But I would recommend first and foremost a Biography of the Buddha - it is "Old Path White Clouds" by Thich Nhat Hanh. It's a great read, so peaceful and full of awareness.

I would love to listen to some of Thich Nhat Hanh's videos but I can't understand him easily. I'll probably look into a few more of his books, great author, he is the most peaceful man I've ever seen, really seems to "know" his stuff.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I would recommend

"Buddhism Plain and Simple" for an excellent first step for a Western beginner.

There are lots of good authors and works,

Chogyam Trungpa, Pema Chodron, The Diamond Sutra, the Dhammapada, D.T. Suzuki, and others.

What works best for you will depend on how you like your messages delivered, but the book by Hagen, (Buddhism Plain and Simple) is excellent to give you a good grounding in the teachings without the embellishments and in a very clear way.

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Check out my critique of Buddhism. It's probably the first of its kind. Let me know what you all think.

Buddhism: Overgeneralizations and Shortcomings of the Most Respected Religion

www.debunkingskeptics.com...

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
I would recommend

"Buddhism Plain and Simple" for an excellent first step for a Western beginner.

There are lots of good authors and works,

Chogyam Trungpa, Pema Chodron, The Diamond Sutra, the Dhammapada, D.T. Suzuki, and others.

What works best for you will depend on how you like your messages delivered, but the book by Hagen, (Buddhism Plain and Simple) is excellent to give you a good grounding in the teachings without the embellishments and in a very clear way.

I recently read Chogyam Trungpa's, Shambala: The Sacred Path of the Warrior. Definately came away with something. It is though probably the first and last book on Buddhism that I will read, kind of answered all those questions. Recommended.

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Here is a good website that has an introduction and learning material on Buddhism www.buddhanet.net... it should keep you busy for awhile.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Fear of the Lord is the crown of wisdom.

Fear of the Lord is having understanding of a God. Not fear of your life. To know God is almighty, to feel this through your whole body, to have made a point of that, that God is the one who's hand you are in. The judges of the earth live forever.

§Almighty§ is §Lord§ §God§

Fear because of knowledge! The judges of the earth know.

eternal one

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Here is another good free ebook book Good questions, Good answers it gives a basic overview and answers common questions for people coming into Buddhism. Hope this helps.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
The names of various Sutras, Tantras, and other Buddhist scriptures will not be included here, as they are found within the writings of the best authors on Buddhism (not necessarily in any particular order):

Shunryu Suzuki, Taisen Deshimaru, the Dalai Lama, previous Dalai Lamas (see the writings of Glenn Mullin), Santideva, Jamgon Kongtrul, Longchen Rabjam (Longchenpa), Sakya Trizin, Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche, Chogyal Namkhai Norbu, Patrul Rinpoche, Gomo Tulku, Mipham Jamyang Namgyal, Geshe Gyaltsen, Lama Yeshe, Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche, Ling Rinpoche, Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche, Chogye Trichen Rinpoche, Khenchen Thrangu Rinpoche, Pabongka Rinpoche, Jigme Lingpa, Kalu Rinpoche, Lobsang Gyatso, Lopon Tenzin Namdak, Jamgon Mipham, Yeshi Dhonden, Samael Aun Weor, H.P. Blavatsky, Vajranatha (John Myrdhin Reynolds), Keith Dowman, Alexander Berzin, and Tuesday Lobsang Rampa.

(The above is not a complete list of excellent Buddhist authors; although, one would have a difficult time finding a better list of Buddhist authors anywhere else.)

To make clear something very important, let us point out that a lot of people have extreme (wrong) views about the physical sexual aspect (Karmamudra) of Buddhist Tantra. On one extreme, many think that Karmamudra is an unimportant aspect of Buddhist practice. On the other extreme, many think that one can attain Buddhist Adepthood while existing as a fornicator. Both extremes are mistaken.

In order to clarify the Middle Way, let us study some quotes from actual Buddhist sources:

Tantra and Karmamudra

edit on 4-12-2010 by Tamahu because: edited text

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

It's most of all philosophy untill it starts to get to religion Romantic Rebel. There is only the existence of one God unseperate of ourselves. The one which is in your heart. He can make your life quite well although we do suffer evil. The bible is the best spiritual booklet at hand. I can advise the letters of Paul and the evangelists plus Genesis for how exactly we became sinners and that which is a sinner. I give you the tip of the veil.

The first man worked himself to sin by ignoring a command of God, our ruler, the one who is above man. He ignored his command by eating the forbidden fruit thus he received the sin of death. That is that which is sin. It is a slumbering thing called death. Therefore we can say, and thus is also man was made to live eternaly. It was a very unwise act as you look at it. The sin went over from man to sprouts. The ignoring of Gods command by Adam and Eve is the reason people die. Leaving them with the sin of death and all further people who were born. They stripped ourselves away from completenes of body and mind thus eternal life.

Now, this went on for ages until God, our supreme, ruler of all men made the decision to undo this for all men. To make for us the possibility of eternal life;

The death of the son of God, Son of man Lord Jesus, Jesus Christ.

By the death of this very wise man we've got a ransom for our sin. By praying for forgiveness to this deity we gain the possibility of eternal life, to take away the sin we received. Jesus is the way to forgiveness. Jesus is the Way and the only way to God again. Reach for God and God will reach for you. He will make you complete again.

That simple. It's a total transformation of your life.

The sin will be cut out of your body.

It is strongly advised to read the bible for hope and understanding;

Genesis
Book of John
Colossians 1
1 Corinthians
2 Corinthians
1 Thessalonians

English is not my first language but I can handle it I need translation for more difficult words... I think I made quite sense to you, there is only progress by comprehension of this text. Help yourself, we pray for new people whom died in Christ and are born with God. You will be strong and have a vast stand in life. You will flourish. The very best. I am always here for advice if you're in need of it. I am a man and I am here for discussion.

I am going to make a new émail adress when I bought my own computer next month (january) when you may feel free to make contact. Cheers and thank you for your contribution!!
Thank you, the very best.
edit on 2010/12/7 by etherical waterwave because: add

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by etherical waterwave

Thanks for the message. Though I would have to disagree with your comment. I believe in God and the Eternal Torah. Jesus goes against my beliefs in life and I view I would be going against the rules of God!

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   
It is very possible you allready merged with Christ and are in search of knowledge in other religions. The books I posted are for comfort and understanding of your place in life. They are very good to read, I can only advise them strongly. Take a read, you'll see what you think of it.
They are comforting.

Greets to you Romantic Rebel.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Since you need help in understanding buddhism there may be something wrong about it.

Reincarnation, Jesus can make the dead rise out of their sleep. There is the ressuruction. It is true one can regain life but you are still the same person.

It is impossible to change into a dog and such nonsense. Once a man always a man. It is true you may find yourself meeting people whom seem to have allready met. It is possible. God is Almighty. It is very wise to have the deeper meaning of this. Almighty. As in one of the biblebooks is told, God changed Moses hand into lepracy and made it undone, when Moses did what Father told him he made miracles, rescuered hundreds of men and gained food and water in a miraculous way. Almighty is Father God. Reach for God through Jesus, and God will reach for you! It is a friendship, he's your father. An Almighty
ne

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Re Etherical Waterwave

You wrote:

"Since you need help in understanding buddhism there may be something wrong about it."

My comment:

Since you "help to understand" buddhism from a personal basis of being totally ignorant on the subject, there must be something wrong about you.

Your streetcorner oration has no bearing on the topic whatsoever.
edit on 7-12-2010 by bogomil because: second thoughts

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
why do I attrack these attackers, did I say something wrong?

Isn't it possible for a religion to be incomplete, there's a wrong there then. I find the Holy book the bible the most complete of all other books I haven't read.

something wrong? gabbers..

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by bogomil

There can be something he doesn't understand in a way that he may find something wrong about it or in a way he cannot attain a wave of thought. there was certainly no way of attacking here.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by etherical waterwave
It is very possible you allready merged with Christ and are in search of knowledge in other religions. The books I posted are for comfort and understanding of your place in life. They are very good to read, I can only advise them strongly. Take a read, you'll see what you think of it.
They are comforting.

"Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born [Hei: womb] of water [Mem: sex] and of the Spirit [Shin: fire], he cannot enter into the kingdom of God." - John 3:5

The Fuel for Spiritual Experience (3): Bodhichitta

This book is recommended in the lecture: Bodhicharyavatara.

"Ah, Lord God, my holy Lover, when You come into my heart, all that is within me will rejoice. You are my glory and the exultation of my heart. You are my hope and refuge in the day of my tribulation. But because my love is as yet weak and my virtue imperfect, I must be strengthened and comforted by You. Visit me often, therefore, and teach me Your holy discipline. Free me from evil passions and cleanse my heart of all disorderly affection so that, healed and purified within, I may be fit to love, strong to suffer, and firm to persevere. [...]Love is watchful. Sleeping, it does not slumber. Wearied, it is not tired. Pressed, it is not straitened. Alarmed, it is not confused, but like a living flame, a burning torch, it forces its way upward and passes unharmed through every obstacle." - Thomas a Kempis, The Imitation of Christ

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by etherical waterwave

Gnosticism, Reincarnation, and Karma:

Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect. - Matthew 5:48

Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are Elohim? If he called them Elohim, unto whom the word of YHVH came, and the scripture cannot be broken; Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God? If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not. But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him. - John.10: 24-38

Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortionists, shall inherit the kingdom of God. - 1 Corinthians, 6: 9, 10

For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. - Matthew 5:18

Verily I say unto thee, Thou shalt by no means come out thence, till thou hast paid the uttermost farthing. - Matthew 5:26

And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables? - Matthew 13:10
He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given. - Matthew 13:11

And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force. - Matthew 11:12
For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John. - Matthew 11:13
And if ye will receive it, this is Elias, which was for to come. - Matthew 11:14
He that hath ears to hear, let him hear. - Matthew 11:15

When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of Man am? - Matthew 14:13
And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets. - Matthew 14:14

Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. - Galations 6:7

Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, [which is] new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and [I will write upon him] my new name. - Revelation 3:12

And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is [the book] of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. - Revelation 20:12

And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. - Revelation 20:13

And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward [is] with me, to give every man according as his work shall be. - Revelation 22:12

edit on 7-12-2010 by Tamahu because: edit

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Re Etherical Waterwave:

You: "why do I attrack these attackers, did I say something wrong?"
Bogo: It could POSSIBLY be ascribed to your habit of: "Me right.....you wrong" posts.

You: "Isn't it possible for a religion to be incomplete, there's a wrong there then. I find the Holy book the bible the most complete of all other books I haven't read."
Bogo: How can one of the bibles be 'most complete' compared to books you haven't read?

You: " There can be something he doesn't understand in a way that he may find something wrong about it or in a way he cannot attain a wave of thought. there was certainly no way of attacking here."
And this time you answer yourself in a former post: "Buddhism: you take a statue and worship it. Get completely insane and put yourself in yellow jammies."
My comment: You take a statue of a saint (or a crucifix) and worship it. Get completely insane and wear a dog collar. Halos optional alternative (only 2;99, batteries not included).

You : "Fear a Lord"
Specifications please. There are 34.000+ christian options, and then you can add all the non-christian 'gods'.

But as your missionary mood is contagious, and as I don't want to go totally off-topic, I'll give you some basic information about buddhism (so you later can declare yourself competent about it).

From a certain perspective, mankind contains two different types of people. Those who passively swallow predigested answers, which they then 'prove' by inventing suitable 'facts'. Ot those, who do their homework by critical examination and experience, and on that basis make maps of existence.

While nothing is perfect, original buddhism points strongly to option two: The individual examination, experience and choice weights heavier than doctrines. Buddhists often refer to their semi-religious activities as: Practice; i.e. pragmatism.

Examplified very esoterically by following parable, which I for your benefit have translated into christianese lingo:

"Yeah and verily, thusly speaks authority, which can't be gainsaid, because it's authority. The cup of your mind overfloweth with bible-verses, so there's no room for wisdom"

Courageous individuals, sometimes venturing outside the safety of their various holy bubbles, may recognize this as a zen anecdote adapted to special needs. I find it an expression of the buddhistic essence.

Should anyone be interested in suicide from boredom, I'm even capable of explaining this in an academic context of epistemological analysis; .... which actually isn't so bad, as it sounds. I have it on highest authority, that such a death will be considered a minor form of martyr-dom, and will give divine bonus-points.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Authority must be Gods otherwise it has an unwise behavior. Socialy bad. Comfort we must find in society. It will be pushed through. Thank you very much for the heart in your replies bogomill and egyptavatar Tamahu. You have found a new friend, we can discuss..

It is always so satisfying reading biblequotes others posted, thank you.

You guys made something very clear here. C u again soon.

Congratulations!

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Re Etherical waterwave

You wrote:

"Authority must be Gods otherwise it has an unwise behavior. Socialy bad."

It looks, as if you maybe are unfamiliar with debate forums, for which I will not blame you. We all have to start somewhere, sometime. But, and I try to be polite about it now, this does not justify your going 99% off topic, using this thread as a primitive propaganda outlet for your private convictions.

Threads easily go astray, but when that happens, it's mostly the initial, at least somewhat relevant, arguments, which are extended.

I'll try to relate to your postulate above from different perspectives, where I also will include buddhism, so as to give meaning to the present thread.

1/ Theologically/existentially/reality-seeking etc

You do not in any way explain your postulate about your 'god', who must have authority; but usually people who present such statements are basing them on 'faith' (in e.g. one of the bibles or some doctrines). The main objection to 'faith' as a fundament to start from is, that it never manifests uniform, but results in tens of thousands, mostly radically different and contradictory, versions. Obviously they can't all be THE right, universally truth, but must be seen as subjective interpretations of something not really understood.

While buddhism also contains elements of doctrines, like pointing out suffering as a prominent part of existence in the visible universe, these doctrines are easily observed and rather common-sense. And in any case suffering is included in practically all religions anyway.

Where buddhism differs from the Abramic religions is, that the Abramic religions have a ready made 'explanation' for the existential illness 'suffering' AND a cure for it. All presented doctrinally. Buddhism presents some methodological 'tools' (e.g. meditation) making it possible for the adherer to add EXPERIENCE (both on explanation of suffering and its cure) to the original information.

2/ The social context

The invasive parts of christianity (historically, contemporary, in deed and doctrine) have very clearly demonstrated such social irresponsibility, that only nazism, as an ideology, parallels it. (The debate on details on this can be found elsewhere on ATS).

While the public image of buddhism as tolerant, compassionate and peaceloving is true concerning doctrine, methodology and mostly deed, there have been sad local exceptions in deed, where individuals have misused buddhist ideology to build semi-theocracies. This is far from typical of buddhism, but if a general conclusion from including this example to the examples of Abramic religion (and all the others) can be formed, it is: Secular society is to prefer to theocracies.

This has pragmatically turned out to be true, but as it's another off-topic direction, I can only and shortly refer to the existing north-western liberal european democracies as thriving and egalitarian, where "socially bad" (as Waterwave calls it) is far less than in most other contemporary cultures.

3/ Political implications

If people individually or in groups of consenting adults wish to adopt a model of "god's authority" as guidelines for their lives, no problems. If they turn this into elitism in a broader context, as e.g. theocracy or special privileges for the 'true believers', it's just plain fascism (the extent and degree can ofcourse vary), in direct opposition to whatever liberal democracy represents.

As buddhism mainly is an individual effort of arriving at direct and personal knowledge, understanding, wisdom, whatever, it's much less inclined to form such elitistic/fascistic movements. On the contrary it demonstrates the better kind of integrated and responsible individualism, which eventually is the ideal of all societies and political systems.

" 'Us' (i.e. christians) or destructive chaos" is a stale propaganda clichée, clearly disproved by quite a few non-christian ideologies (to add to the above examples Jain can be included); and used in a context of derogating alternative ideologies (as done by waterwave), it will eventually mirror the true intents of invasive christianity as opposed to the inclusive ideology of e.g. buddhism.

I'm aware, that I myself am at some distance from the original question of the OP, but it's difficult to navigate through this special perspective without loosing the center at times.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join