It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I'm Pro-Gay Marriage

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Gay people have always had the right to marry. They just want special rights to marry someone of the same sex.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by LordBucket
reply to post by 23refugee

Seems like half the people I work with are divorced. You really
kind of have to help them with their load for a year or so.

So you're saying that people who aren't married create an extra burden in the workplace?

No, I'm saying people who are in the process of becoming not married create an extra burden in the workplace.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   

I'm saying people who are in the process of becoming not
married create an extra burden in the workplace.

And last I checked there are no corporate financial incentives or income tax breaks for becoming not-married.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

You know one thing I do agree with is that being married should not give anyone special priveleges. They shouldnt get tax breaks that single people dont get or any other special treatment. We should eliminate all of that. They shouldnt even get better deals on health insurance or any other kind of service, because then it is unfair to gays, people who just dont want to live together without a legal marriage,etc.

[edit on 11-7-2010 by ZuluChaka]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   

I'm saying people who are in the process of becoming not
married create an extra burden in the workplace.

And last I checked there are no corporate financial incentives or income tax breaks for becoming not-married.
I'm discussing the detriment to the productivity of the employee caused by divorce.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by ZuluChaka

being married should not give anyone special priveleges.

because then it is unfair to gays

...wait, what?

Why is it unfair to gays rather than "unfair" to people who aren't married? The incentives have very little to do with sexuality. Heterosexuals are aren't married don't qualify for them either.

The intent of the people who created these incentives was to encourage behaviors that they believed were condusive to a healthy society. It's no different than giving financial incentives to people with college degrees. If you believe that it's a good thing for socety as a whole if more people go to college, it makes sense to reward people who do. Similarly, if you believe that it's a good thing for society as a whole if more people get married, it makes sense to reward people who do that.

If you want to say that you don't believe that it's healthy for society for people to get married, and therefore it's not something we want to encourage...that's one thing. But saying that only rewarding the people who engage in the behavior that's being encouraged is unfair to the people who don't...implies a lack of understanding of the purpose of the incentives.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Great point. I am pretty sure in my reply that you quoted I mentioned that is unfair to single people and people that want to live together as well, not just gay people.

I dont think the government should be allowed to create any priveleges to encourage desired behavior in peoples personal lives or the business world. They really have no right to do any of that as we are all supposed to get an even shake as long as we do not break the law.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by ZuluChaka

I mentioned that is unfair to single people
and people that want to live together as well

Ahh. So you did. I jumped the gun. Sorry.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by nicolee123nd

You haven't changed my opinion one iota.
This gay marriage stuff doen't effect me in anyway, just like the rules against interracial marriage being tossed out when I was young, didn't cause me any sort of hardship, either.

In fact, that opened my world up to greater experiences and enjoyment. And nobody was harmed, unless they wanted to be harmed, within their own minds.

It's nobody's [snip] business, who wants to marry who.

Just saying................

Oh, and have I ever mentioned this? Johnny Depp's lips look so kissable to me!

Uh, okay, so I'm not off topic too much. Depp is a guy and I am a guy.

Just saying........they look good, ya know........

Oh, god, I hope my wife doesn't read this..............................or not.....

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 11-7-2010 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   
For those of you that support Gay Marriage, please answer these three questions:

1) What is the purpose of marriage?

2) Why are those that do get married entitled to more benefits than those who don't?

3) Do those in a relationship deserve more benefits than those who are not? Why?

In my opinion, Gay Marriage kind of goes against the reasons why marriage was established in the first place: to form a basic family unit that can be expanded upon without outside assistance. If you don't plan to have children of your own or adopt children, what is the point in getting married?

[edit on 11/7/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by acrux

Call it a stab in the dark, but because you're gay & you want to get married? What no, come on don't deny it, get out of the closet.

People like you are the reason a lot of people are scared of being pro-gay marriage. I almost didn't post this because I knew I would get repliers like you. Very rarely would a pro-gay marriage person gather their wits and come out with they want to say. I was only trying to make a point.

If you had read the post, you could understand that I'm not gay. I put the post in a strait person's point of view, my own.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 02:57 AM
link   
To me a marriage is to start a family...

Obviously gay people can not do this withou outside help..

Therefore they should not marry...

But, I accept that they need something..

Maybe another name for a similar arrangement..

Leave the word "Marriage" to its original ideas...

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by virgom129

Maybe another name for a similar arrangement..

Leave the word "Marriage" to its original ideas...

As I understand it though, the word is specifically what they're after. Again, nobody's saying they can't have sex, live together, etc. But if they get the title, the name "marriage" they can feel like they have the social acceptance that name presently carries.

I think it's misplaced. People who do not accept gays still will not accept them even if they call themselves married. People who accept gays already will continue to accept them even if they don't.

I understand completely why so many religious people feel like gays are simply out to destroy something they perceive as sacred. The title of "married" won't mean anything to them anymore if it isn't exclusive to the types or relationships they accept, any more than "pure water" would mean anything if it was used to describe water with sugar and food coloring in it.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Well I'm gay AND I'm married, so I guess I fall nicely into this category eh?

Mirthful put it the best however.

Government has NO business regulating the institution of marriage. They SHOULD be called civil unions and any consenting adult of age should be able to marry any other adult who fits those same criteria.

However, both sides of the aisle, gay and straight have made it into an issue of ideology and have ruined the whole damn thing. Convoluted to the point where there is no point anymore.

It's just senseless bickering and straw men. The people who represent both sides are extremists and act accordingly.

Of all the things to be belly-aching about in today's world and we choose the most insignificant, moronic things.

There is absolutely NO valid or logical argument for a person to be against gay marriage in today's society. Only ideologically could you be opposed.

There are NO negative reprocussions for allowing gays to marry, as it would not affect anybody BUT gays.

~Keeper

[edit on 7/11/2010 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

They SHOULD be called civil unions and any consenting adult of age should
be able to marry any other adult who fits those same criteria.

Do you see how it might bother the people who have had their own private little deal going for THOUSANDS of years, for you to come along and start telling them what their deal should be called and who should be allowed to participate?

Imagine if a group of child molesters came along and said "Hey! We're the boy scouts!" Do you see how the boy scouts might be a bit annoyed about that? And, while you rush to get offended over being equated to being a child molester...try to understand that a lot of the religious crowd does demonize you. It says right in their book that you're bad. And they believe that. So from their point of view, bad people are coming along and trying to say that they're doing something they consider a holy sacrament. Matrimony is #5 on the list. Gays living together and getting a judge to say it's ok and calling that marriage is to them, little different from child molesters having camping trips and saying that they're the boy scouts.

there is no point anymore.

I'm gay AND I'm married

Do you understand that there "being no point" is exactly what bothers a lot of people about the idea of gays getting married? To some people, marriage not only does mean something, it means something very important. But when gays can do it too and call themslves married, it dilutes that meaning.

Imagine spending 10 years getting a PhD and then society deciding that anybody who makes it through grade school can call themselves a PhD. Suddenly your title doesn't mean anything anymore. Might you be annoyed?

There are NO negative reprocussions for allowing gays to marry,
as it would not affect anybody BUT gays.

Try to see it from the perspective of the religious.

[edit on 11-7-2010 by LordBucket]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   

I think it's misplaced. People who do not accept gays still will not accept them even if they call themselves married. People who accept gays already will continue to accept them even if they don't.

You make it seem as if its all about what other people think. What it's really about is the Gays, not our opinions. I believe everybody has the right to be happy. I started this thread to in respect of the Gays, not what other people care of them.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   

reply to post by tothetenthpower

Do you see how it might bother the people who have had their own private little deal going for THOUSANDS of years, for you to come along and start telling them what their deal should be called and who should be allowed to participate?

Ok, understandable, so why did they get to decide in the first place? What gives them the almighty power to decide?

We live in a progressive society, things change, people need to get over that.

Imagine if a group of child molesters came along and said "Hey! We're the boy scouts!" Do you see how the boy scouts might be a bit annoyed about that? And, while you rush to get offended over being equated to being a child molester...try to understand that a lot of the religious crowd does demonize you. It says right in their book that you're bad. And they believe that. So from their point of view, bad people are coming along and trying to say that they're doing something they consider a holy sacrament. Matrimony is #5 on the list. Gays living together and getting a judge to say it's ok and calling that marriage is to them, little different from child molesters having camping trips and saying that they're the boy scouts.

Straw Man Argument. Those are two completely different issues and to put gay marriage and pedophiles in the same category is ludicrous.

No it is not the same thing, at all.

Do you understand that there "being no point" is exactly what bothers a lot of people about the idea of gays getting married? To some people, marriage not only does mean something, it means something very important. But when gays can do it too and call themslves married, it dilutes that meaning.

Dilute the meaning of marriage? Half of them end in divorce, there's nothing sacred about marriage anymore, it's a piece of paper and frankly I could care less, but as long as the piece of paper gives you MORE rights, then same sex couples deserve to have them. Period.

Imagine spending 8 years getting a PhD and then society deciding that anybody who makes it through grade school can call themselves a PhD. Might you be annoyed? They have an exclusive club, and you're barging in on that.

Another straw man argument. Not the same thing, doesn't apply.

This would NOT affect married couples who are straight, having your PHD called something else does affect you.

Try to see it from the perspective of the religious.

I do, and the perspective is silly. There's no VALID argument to deny somebody equal rights under the law because of a religious belief.

This is why America is a republic, to protect the individual from the masses. You can't tell me to feel bad for the religious when they're only complaint is that they would be offended or bothered by same sex couples using the term "marriage".

It's not a logical or valid argument, it's an ideological argument. Sure I respect it and sure they are entitled to it, but YOUR beliefs should not keep me from enjoying the same rights you do.

It's not a matter of the word it's a matter of principle, this is a civil rights issue and always has been.

Like I said, I don't give a damn what they call it, or what's on the piece of paper provided, but it MUST provide the same rights to all consenting adults and nobody should have the right to tell you who you can, and can't mary.

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   

You make it seem as if its all about what other people think. What it's really
about is the Gays, not our opinions. I believe everybody has the right to be happy.
I started this thread to in respect of the Gays, not what other people care of them.

It is all about what people think. Why else do gays want to get married? You don't need to have a little piece of paper to be happy. You don't need a little piece of paper to live with someone, or have sex with them, or to commit or relate or do anything else with them.

That little piece of paper that says you're married is totally about perception.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Great read -- the whole thread. I don't think it was better said, IMO, than your OP. I think anyone that wants to legally commit to each other, should be able to get a marriage license, marry and be recognized by the various state, federal, county, city and other entities that currently recognize heterosexual marriage.

Now, my own opinion (so as not to imply you do or don't believe this also)

I have kind of an oddball notion, and that is that married people should get at tax advantage. Do I think everyone should be married? Naw. I don't care, it's your choice. I think those that commit to each other should be rewarded. I realize that's an archaic view, and I don't mind a bit should anyone want to tell me what a dinosaur I am.

I don't care about the preference or the sexuality of bonded people. I think they make the world more safe, for the most part, and provide a more nourishing environment for children.

Some of my best friends are single

edit for spel'in regognized? eek

[edit on 11/7/10 by argentus]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   

You make it seem as if its all about what other people think. What it's really
about is the Gays, not our opinions. I believe everybody has the right to be happy.
I started this thread to in respect of the Gays, not what other people care of them.

It is all about what people think. Why else do gays want to get married? You don't need to have a little piece of paper to be happy. You don't need a little piece of paper to live with someone, or have sex with them, or to commit or relate or do anything else with them.

That little piece of paper that says you're married is totally about perception.

This is where people are wrong.

Aslong as the little piece of paper provides more rights to couples who have it, them there's no reason for same sex couples to be excluded from that.

There just isn't one. Period.

~Keeper

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join