It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I'm Pro-Gay Marriage

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
There's been a lot of debate about whether or not Gay Marriage should be legalized. Well, I just might change you're opinion. No, I'm not bringing in the Bible or something some political leader says, just what I truly think.

Couples, take a look over at that person you truly love. What if somebody told you that you were simply NOT allowed to marry that person? Wouldn't that make you feel awful? Not only is it unfair, but now you're dreams of one day marrying this person has been crushed, and that would be a true tragedy.

Why should it be any different for Gays?

Here's my thoughts: If a couple truly loves each other, then they should be allowed to marry. No exceptions.

Love is love, there's no way to twist that around. That moment when you're with that person you love, when you get that funny feeling in your heart, well, it's the same for anyone. Anyone. Whether it be a women who loves a man, a man who loves a woman; a man who loves a man, a woman who loves a woman. Gays feel that some love, they're human. Shouldn't they have the same marriage rights?

It may take a moment to really understand that, so just take a moment, and think.

Even of you have always been single, and never had that person to love, admit it: there is/has been a person who you felt you could love, but it just never happened. You just have to use your imagination a bit.

This is where I leave you to think about it. Thank you for reading, those of you who care about the hearts of others.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Personaly if 2 people love each other why shouldnt they get married?

As long as they keep it in the bedroom and not in the local park then i dont care.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Thank You,

Now that I have your specific opinion on why you support gay marriage I can sleep better tonight.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Master Shen long
Personaly if 2 people love each other why shouldnt they get married?

As long as they keep it in the bedroom and not in the local park then i dont care.

Exactly, I could care less what other people do in the bedroom. I do not think it is anyones business but the people doing it. It harms no one so wheres the freedom?

My thoughts are who cares? Not me.

We should be paying more attention to ANYTHING else but gay marriage.

Pred...

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by IntastellaBurst

Thank You,

Now that I have your specific opinion on why you support gay marriage I can sleep better tonight.

Do not be ignorant and do that to someone else's thread. Maybe some thoughtful discussion would help and further contribute to the discussion.

Pred...

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
What about the right of hermaphrodites to choose a life partner?

Sri Oracle

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by nicolee123nd

Why I'm Pro-Gay Marriage

Call it a stab in the dark, but because you're gay & you want to get married? What no, come on don't deny it, get out of the closet.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Sri Oracle

Wouldn't their only problem be narrowing down the choices?
If they get fired upon returning from their honeymoon, they have a good shot at a lawsuit, no matter what state they're in. Not so for the gays.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
The debate on gay marriage is not and never has been a debate about the right to marry, but has always been about the civil right to obtain a license to marry. The difference between the inalienable right to marry and the civil right to obtain a license to marry is as clear as night and day. Or gay and straight if you will. A license is a grant by government to do that which would otherwise be illegal to do. Marriage is not a crime and should not require any license in order to do so. Why then are so many people applying for licenses in order to enjoy their fundamental right to be married? This is the real question, and has been obfuscated by an issue that is not at all about enjoying a fundamental right, but instead about being granted a civil privilege.

[edit on 10-7-2010 by Jean Paul Zodeaux]

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by acrux

Why I'm Pro-Gay Marriage

Call it a stab in the dark, but because you're gay & you want to get married? What no, come on don't deny it, get out of the closet.
You clicked this thread, anything you want to share?

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by 23refugee

Originally posted by 23refugee

Why I'm Pro-Gay Marriage

You didn't the answer the question posed to you. See the little "?" at the end of first sentence, it signifies a question asked of you.

My sharing was asking if you are gay & you want to get married?

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
What business does the government...

Have in the regulation and administration of marriage? Isn't that a religious ceremony, and aren't the very same people who are always screaming "separation of church and state" (oddly, those words don't exist in the U.S. Constitution) are the same ones who want government sanction of marriage... A religious ceremony and doctrine?

Oh, the irony...

This is how to solve the issue, and make everyone happy (which really means everyone will be pissed, but equally).

The government will only issue licenses for civil unions. Everyone of legal age is eligible to have a union with one other consentable human being (at a time)... This will be the one and only legally recognized form of bonding two consentable human beings together... Regardless of sex, sexual orientation, race, creed, religion or the ability to walk and chew gum at the same time. This will allow for all the common perks and liabilities associated with the traditional "man and wife" marriage but is a purely government issued union. When any legal issue arises, it is adjudicated by state statute and nothing else.

The newly unionized couple will now have the opportunity to begin "step one" which is the downward spiral that will end in irreconcilable differences, accusations, infidelity, and outright hate; or they can move on to "step two," which is the petitioning of the religious entity of their choice, and having a religious ceremony of marriage performed... If said religious entity declines to perform the ceremony due to established doctrine, then find another one that will, go to Las Vegas and get married by Elvis, or go home and be glad you aren't that pathetic guy in a relationship with the same gym sock since high school... Then proceed to step one.

It's fair, it's equitable, involves religion only if wanted by the doomed parties, and let's us focus on more pressing issues at hand like what that guy Lady Gaga is wearing, or whether Lindsay Lohan will survive incarceration...

Solomon Monkeys, not just for cutting that baby in half anymore...

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
The government is in the business of record-keeping for legal purposes. One does not need a license to have a child (a much bigger deal than marriage in my opinion) or to grant power of attorney. This is simple contract law, or should be.

The problem is religion, in this respect. As far as the law goes, it should be gender and religion neutral.

This would include polygamy, gay unions, and hetero unions.

Considering I am opposed to any form of income tax, removing those taxes would greatly improve the situation.

People should be able to legally change or augment their "official" family at will using simple contracts. Any form of sexual bias eliminates equal protection AND application of law.

Additionally, any law that does not apply to everyone equally is an unjust law. So, I am opposed to any official "marriage" license. If you want religion, fine, but don't legislate it.

Removing religion from the situation would eliminate this entire debate and prevent ridiculous, tedious, and extremely long battles to make even small changes to the law.

Peace
KJ

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Why I'm Pro-Gay Marriage

I am not gay and share the same thoughts as the thread starter.

If you have enemies it is probably because you have tried to change something... er...who said it, I think I heard it in a song

I see no logic in your argument besides the fact that you disagree, for which you still don't hold or present any valid reason.

That of course only matters if you want people to respect your opinion.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Couples, take a look over at that person you truly love. What if somebody told you that you were simply NOT allowed to marry that person? Wouldn't that make you feel awful? Not only is it unfair, but now you're dreams of one day marrying this person has been crushed, and that would be a true tragedy.

Yeah just think of the poor 50 year old guy and his 13 teen year old beauty who both want to marry and we are robbing them of that right. Or the mean and woman who want to add a few more men and women to their love circle. Or the man who wants to marry his beautiful Irish Setter. We are also robbing them of their path to happiness.

I say either eliminate marriage all together or let everyone marry whoever or whatever they want. We must be fair and not let ourselves become hipocritical.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Why should it be any different for Gays?

I can give you some possible reasons. Are you willing to consider them?

Here's my thoughts: If a couple truly loves each other, then
they should be allowed to marry. No exceptions.

And here's my thought: what exactly is this "marriage" thing that you're saying couples should be "allowed" to do, and by what authority can you or anyone else tell someone that they do or don't have "permission" to do it?

These questions need to be answered. There's very little point in considering the question of whether someone should be "allowed" to do something without a clear idea of what that something is. And I think you'll find that there are a good number of people who think of "marriage" as a formal recognizance of union between specifically a man and a woman in the eyes of their god. That is, after all, why it's traditonally religious authority figures who perform the ceremonies. To those people, gays cannot become "married" any more than automobiles can. Two cars next to each other in the garage cannot be married because they're not a man and a woman. And two men or two women cannot be married for the same reason. It's a particular type of relationship. And the relationship that they perceive precludes same sex unions. The expression Complementary angles has a certain meaning. If you combine a 25 degree angle with a 65 degree angle, they're complementary. If you combine a 25 degree angle with a 25 degree angle...they're not complementary. It has nothing to do with fairness. They're simply not components that relate to each other in the manner that is meant by the expression "complementary angles." And many people perceive marriage to preclude same-gender relations in exactly this way. Two 25 degree angles can be combined, yes....but they're not compelentary. And two men can be combined, but they're not married.

If you ask me...I would say that no two people need the permission of a third party to relate to each other in a manner of thier own choosing. But that's not what we're discussing here. We're discussing a particular formal social/religious arrangement.

Marriage is a formal permission from a third party for two people to relate in certain ways. Whether one views marriage religiously, and that third party is god, or whether one view marriage socially, and that third party is the government, either way...marriage is permission from a third party for a relationship to exist. It is not the relationship itself.

Reiterating my own view that no two people need the permission of a third party to relate to each other as they please, to me...the whole idea of marriage as exists in our particular social environment is mildly abhorrent. I don't require permission to relate to, live with, or have sex with whomever I choose. And the idea that I do need some sort of external approval is insulting. With that in mind, I would ask, why are homosexuals seeking specifically...marriage? Why are they asking for that particular name and title? They're not looking for permission to have sex with each other. They're doing that already. They're not seeking permission to live together. They're doing that already.

By all appearances, gays looking to be "married" are looking to get a social title. But they're not doing the social thing that is associated with that title. Saying that gays "deserve" to be able to be married isn't much different than saying that people who never attended college "deserve" to be able to be PhD's. Well, ok...but to get the title you need to do what the title is associated with. A guy living with and having sex with only one particular guy isn't "married" any more than someone who attended CPR courses is a doctor.

-----------

Second issue: finance

Occassionally someone will point out possible tax, legal and financial advantages to being married. And they want them. But why do these financial advantages exist? Why should people who are "married" be given any legal, tax or financial advantage over people who are not?

The reason is that our society, and in particular our coroprations have concluded that it is advantageous to encourage marriage. As one computer industry president explained to me once, "married people make good workers." Why? Because they have families to support. They have social pressures to be stable and dependable. They have relatives from whom to win approval. Many reasons. And consequently they have chosen to give financial incentives to people in the situation of marriage to encourage people to married.

Gays in exclusive relationships are not in the situation that our society and corporations have seen fit to encourage through financial incentive. Two gays saying they want the tax breaks are in no different position than a single guy who says he wants the tax breaks. Sorry guys, you're not doing the thing that they're trying to reward, so you can't expect the reward. If you want the reward created specifically to encourage a specific behavior, you need to engage in that behavior.

Gays feel that some love, they're human. Shouldn't
they have the same marriage rights?

Marriage is not about love. If gays love each other, so be it. If they have sex with each other, so be it. But marriage is not sex and marriage is not love. Marriage is a social construct and it is a religious construct. And in the eyes of many people, the nature of that construct does not include same-gender couples.

[edit on 10-7-2010 by LordBucket]

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by 23refugee

Why I'm Pro-Gay Marriage

You didn't the answer the question posed to you. See the little "?" at the end of first sentence, it signifies a question asked of you.

My sharing was asking if you are gay & you want to get married?
Since you're asking me, yes, I'm gay and married.
That little section at the top of the post signifies to whom you are asking a
question.
As for the OP, the post really doesn't seem to need that sort of clarification, but if the Op's coming out would help you with any struggles you may be having, the question is probably valid. Best of Luck!

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

Seems like half the people I work with are divorced. You really kind of have to help them with their load for a year or so. They just aren't that focused on work. Some have even been married and divorced more than once. Even more load to spread around.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   
The problem is that there are people that think it is necessary to have an opinion on gay marriage. People should mind there own business.

When a murder takes place people look away, genocide "Wir haben das nicht gewust", a guy bleeding to death on the streets, a rape taking place, an illegal war...

But when it comes to people that love each other. They got something to say.
Bunch of hypocrites if you ask me.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Seems like half the people I work with are divorced. You really
kind of have to help them with their load for a year or so.

So you're saying that people who aren't married create an extra burden in the workplace?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join