It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

G20 $1.2 million fake lake revealed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   

The so-called fake lake was shown to journalists with little fanfare Wednesday before the G20 summit in Toronto. Journalists and officials wandered about the controversial exhibit in the Direct Energy Centre at Exhibition Place to examine the cedar deck, wooden Muskoka chairs, shallow pool and stacked canoes sitting in front a giant screen flashing images of Ontario lakes. The pool, costing $57,000, is meant to simulate the charm of Ontario's cottage country in the heart of downtown Toronto, giving journalists a taste of Huntsville, Ont., where the G8 summit will be held Friday before the G20 begins in Toronto on Saturday Read more:

Stephen Harpers Fake Lake

this is just stupid. biggest waste of money ever?

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by mslag67
It was so epically stupid and lame that they actually had to assign a police officer to keep journalists (only journalists and elites were allowed, not the unwashed masses) from tearing up the place in rage.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2fbf575733c7.jpeg[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
So they spent over a million dollars on an ugly koi pond, a tv screen/projector, and some canoes?

I'm sure glad these are the people dictating how our economies should work . . .

[edit on 24-6-2010 by alaskan]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
well they have the ever present costabulary right.
were they live or memorex?
what would cottage country be without a well placed revenoo collector every twenty feet or so?

considering the violinz so far have all been owned by the agent provocateur law enforcement types like we saw at the SPP in Montebello Quebec, we just payed a BILLION dollars for to see our own wife's knees

PS a BILLION DOLLARS?
thats a lot of Tim Hornuts

[edit on 24-6-2010 by Danbones]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
It's so small. Kind of ironic that a large part of the meetings is to do with debt reduction

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Well, if all of the other countries continue to be foolish and follow Obama's "Road to Fiscal Recovery", they might as well all put one or two of these around their headquarters -- a little over a million is nothing.

Obama can spend billions upon billions in the blink of an eye and it ends up being more wasteful than this. Yes, more wasteful. Why? Because this is at least pretty to look at and is tangible. At least we can see where the money went. Everything Obama does simply vanishes never to be seen again except in the amounts taken out of my paycheck.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
And all this from the party which preaches fiscal responsibility. Forget about this eyesore; how about the cool billion they are paying to host this charade. Obviously, most of it is going to the Police State.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I don't care how pretty this thing is, when I'm paying taxes to fund this foolishness.

It's like using the grocery money to go play golf.

They wine and moan about cutbacks for this and taxes for that because we are in SOOOOOO MUCH DEBT, add the fact that Ontario and BC have just perpetrated one of the biggest tax hikes in our time,(the hst for those who don't know, HERE is a link for anyone interested).

Yet they build a stupid MILLION DOLLAR KOI POND that the public who paid for it can't even visit?

I'm sorry, but I get very upset when I hear about stuff like this while my husband and I barely see each other because we have to each work one and a half jobs just to break even.

edit to add: Sorry, "only" $50,000, but still as much as some people make in an entire year!

[edit on 6/24/2010 by Hatcookie]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by SphinxMontreal

I know, a billon is over the top, and I have a feeling it's more to show off than anything.

I was quite suprised at this buget when they don't have a penny to spare for other services that would be more beneficial to the "unwashed masses" as someone put it.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
It is very important for them to have this fake lake, people. So what if it is money out of our pocket, at least the elite will have something really cool to look at while they are discussing other ways to stick it to us.

Think about it, we actually paid for this and have no choice in the matter of how it is spent. How many people could they feed with the money they spent on the lake and the whole G20 summit altogether? They could feed many people multiple times.

Here's our predicament. Our economy sucks, the world economy is failing. Our leaders are using millions of dollars to discuss how to fix it while we have the technology to do this at probably a single-digit fraction of the cost. If our politicians really cared, they'd stop using this money so extremely and just have it in a normal building. You don't need fancy, expensive things to discuss politics. You don't need to spend out the yinyang to discuss the economy. It's so darn blatant nowadays it is just sickening.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
It's called marketing and how much does one of them Go Daddy Super bowl ads cost?? 50k$ is nothing if it gets people to visit. A million look at what each state or province tourist office budget is every year. Money well spent if your in the tourism business and I am!!

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

a little over a million is nothing. Obama can spend billions upon billions in the blink of an eye and it ends up being more wasteful than this.

That is the wrong way of thinking. A million dollars can accomplish huge causes. Many governments have been hijacked and are so distorted/warped that they do not know the value of money. One reason is that their personalities were taught to accept huge amounts of money as if it very little money. Many of the super rich are brainwashed, delusional, horrible people who do not realize what they are doing.

[edit on 24-6-2010 by problemsolvr]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by TheFinalTruth14

Shouldn't the voting citizens get to decide how their money is spent. This money is spent without their approval, which should be illegal.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Its all symbolic ,the canoes are rainbow colored,or many colors,sorta also Jacob's coat ladder.
they are told to relax their rewards are just on the horizon.the canoes represent a place for them their ticket assured when the end comes ,your personal ark your place,We have not forgotten what you are doing or have sacrificed now sit for a moment think of your family ,when its over you will retire here with many peers, when the flooding stop and the solar flares end after the shift/passing then we will come back out from deep below and live in a nice temperate climate ,relax you can sit back soon nearly finished.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   

It's supposed to be representation of Canada, :
"staged, superficial, fake and a show of arrogance
of the governments' exploitation of the people's taxes."

Being a temporary/disposable exhibit, I bet those $800. Muskoka chairs will end up at Steven Harper's own cottage; And I hardly think that the
pile of canoes at $3,000 each x 44 will be returned for a refund.
Yet the public has been billed the full fixed price.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by problemsolvr

No kidding.

I'm just amazed that people would get worked up over a million when we spent over $800 billion and have nothing to show for it.

As I said, at least this gave people something to look at whereas the rest of our wasted billions have simply vanished with nothing to show for them at all.

new topics

top topics

join