It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ten dead among 54 shot aross city over weekend

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Ten dead among 54 shot aross city over weekend

www.suntimes.com

Ten people were killed and at least 44 others were shot across the city Friday night into early Monday, including a baby girl who suffered a graze wound to the neck when gunfire erupted at a Near West Side barbecue.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
icasualties.org
www.icasualties.org
abclocal.go.com
www.chicagobreakingnews.com

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Wild weekend in the Windy City. Violent storms ripped through the city with Hurricane force winds knocking down power lines, trees, and damaging property.

However, that was only a prelude of what was to come in the aftermath. A storm of another kind was to follow, and not one caused by nature; but by man hellbent on turning Chicago into a bloodbath. This violence is absolutely unacceptable, but as long as it is not in Mayor Richard Daley's neighborhood, the Green Zone(Downtown), and the tourist attractions; I guess it goes out of sight and out of mind?

These thugs were even bold enough to shoot scores of people near a highly publicized event at the annual Puerto Rican Festival on Saturday. With city festivals and parades there is always a large police presence, but that did not matter. A baby was even caught in the cross-fire and nearly killed during a Father's Day barbecue.

These ruffians have no respect for human life, or those who have no criminal affiliations. To put things into perspective, Chicago had 10 homicides on Father's Day weekend. Where as in combat zones like Afghanistan there was only six reported US casualties during the same time period. Then Iraq had only one reported casualty in a non combat event over the weekend.
This violence is just plain disgusting and diabolical. More deaths in an American city by gang violence, than US forces fighting in combat zones?

Something is skewered in our President's home town? Then the Mayor going out of his way to keep the victims of violent crime from protecting themselves by disarming them with his draconian gun ban. This violence and death is out of control. I am disgusted by all of it. As far as I am concerned, bold action needs to be taken against anyone flashing gang signs, cocking their fitted hats in different directions, and wearing obvious gang apparel. What the actions are, I am opened to ideas? Something needs to be done. Any thoughts?

www.suntimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 22-6-2010 by Jakes51]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
So, just a question for our Chicago resident gun-ban-supporting members... How's that working out for you?

Such a tragedy!
This is a perfect example of why citizens need to be permitted to arm and protect themselves!

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
looks like a gang war to me.
that article mentioned one of
those shootings was started
over a girl. Looks like Chicago
let the crazies out this weekend.

Hey wasn't Chicago one of the cities
listed in Operation Blackjack???

Could these 2 be related ???

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I don't know if it makes a difference but i don't think you can get CCW in Illonis.
In Vemont you don't even need permit for CCW, as long as not felon and have legal gun.
By the way there is no crime in Vermont, the little old lady will pull a 44 and blow some ones head off.
BUt these cry babies in chicogo, ask when will it stop, all the criminals have guns.

[edit on 21-6-2010 by googolplex]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
We have a gun ban in the city people... It would appear that someone isn't playing by the rules. Don't these criminals realize Mayor Daley's anti-gun stance? oh thats just for law abiding citizens.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
What? That is impossible guns are banned in Chicago this must be a right wing lie to promote the gun culture...

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
So, just a question for our Chicago resident gun-ban-supporting members... How's that working out for you?

Such a tragedy!
This is a perfect example of why citizens need to be permitted to arm and protect themselves!

Totally in agreement with you on citizens being given the opportunity to arm themselves. These gangbangers have no respect for human life. They don't even care about the police being around, because they were shooting up the block near that festival right under their noses. Something like five people were injured.

Mayor Daley's insistence on the gun ban is practically criminal, and he might as well be indirectly complicit in the violence that is plaguing the city. The lower income areas have become like the Wild West and those who are regular citizens are practically being held hostage. The gangs have the numbers and firepower on their sides. The police are at a hopeless disadvantage. According to a 2005 BBC report, the gang membership is phenomenal and should be of concern.

With an estimated 68,000 gang members in Chicago . . .

news.bbc.co.uk...

That number is five-years-old, and has probably swelled quite significantly since then as a result of the terrible economic conditions plaguing the nation. The police force is significantly lower in numbers, and they have to deal with funding issues as well.

Understaffing has been a problem in recent years, exacerbated in part by the decision to lower the early retirement age to 55 from 60 to attract younger officers who make less. As of late April, the Police Department was down 780 officers, a spokesman said.

articles.chicagotribune.com...

Any ideas on how to stem the bleeding if the gun ban is not lifted? Thanks for the reply!

[edit on 22-6-2010 by Jakes51]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye
What? That is impossible guns are banned in Chicago this must be a right wing lie to promote the gun culture...

So Chi-Town has a problem with gangs.
Imagine that!
Check out the maps on this site and you might have a clue why.
en.wikipedia.org...

By the way hawkiye I like your Signature, I've been linking to them in many of my posts.

[edit on 21-6-2010 by RedmoonMWC]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
This really has nothing to do with Obama or this mayor daley. The first Daley was the one who made cut off the west and south sides of the city in order to keep the poor from his revitalized loop business district. See any book on architecture 'the city of big shoulders" in particular.

The current Daley actually marches in the parades to protest violence. Tourism is the name of the game these days and any bad press even in those "other" parts of the city have ramifications. I actually think he is trying to eliminate the violence. There are currently more cops on the south and west sides than anywhere else in the city. They have cameras on every block. It doesnt make a difference because there are larger socio-economical problems behind the result: violence. Any additional amount of force is just a bandaid for the cycle of poverty drugs and gangs. Thats why this happens every summer, its sad but nothing new.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

OP how dare you post such blatant lies...

There's a gun ban in Chicago, this could NEVER have happened there.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
That gun ban sure is working. the only good that ban did was disarm the victums so they had no chance in fighting back. ill bet you if just one of those people that were shot had a gun and was a law biding person there would be a fraction of the wounded and kill in this massacur.

Great Idea disarm people so thay have no chance when something like this happen. Chicagos gun ban really helped keep the guns off the streets huh!!!

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   
It isn't that the violence is contained in the low income areas. There is plenty of violence right down town in the Loop. My sister-in-law has lived down town for years and my family would be in visiting constantly, but it has gotten bad enough that we very rarely venture into the city anymore.

The last couple of times we visited we were walking from various festivals back to my s-i-l's apartment and people were openly flashing their guns at each other and the most recent time there was a bit of shooting about half a block away from where we were. Luckily no one was hit, but this was right down by Grant Park and not in some bad neighborhood.

The current Mayor Daley pays lip service to the idea of stopping the violence, but let's face it, if he were sincere in his sentiments he wouldn't fight so hard to ensure that his city retains the gun ban that it has. He has made it an open buffet of victims for criminals looking for unarmed happy meals on legs.

Take care,
Cindi

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
ONLY THING A GUN BAN DOES, IS KEEP GUNS OUT OF THE HANDS OF LAW ABIDING CITIZENS

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Such a tragedy!

Yes! If that baby had a gun she woulda got that guy. LOL at you silly americans with your guns.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by theknuckler

Such a tragedy!

Yes! If that baby had a gun she woulda got that guy. LOL at you silly americans with your guns.

the things i would want to say to your right now would ban me from this site! how stupid can your comment be? how old are you, 10? No the baby would not have a gun. her father or mother would have and that family could have had the change to pretect themselfs. I feel sorry for you and whatever country you come from. I'm just fine here sitting with my .45 and AR-15 by my side with the peace of mind knowing who ever comes busting in my house will get a rain of lead.

Must be tuff defending yourself for 10-15 min why the police are on there way. silly non americans and your peace loving anti gun, pro dictator, communist ideas.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   
We are sinking to new lows as a species everyday. Have people completely lost their minds? With all the murdering going on with the Mexican Cartels, the wars abroad, and destroying our planet with oil, we still find the time to kill each other over nothing right here at home. It's a miracle God hasn't just wiped us all off the face of the Earth. This planet is ill and humanity the disease.

top topics

join