It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia President orders Belarus gas supplies cut

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Russia President orders Belarus gas supplies cut

af.reuters.com

Russia's President Dmitry Medvedev told the gas monopoly Gazprom to cut gas supplies to Belarus, the Kremlin's press office said on Monday.

Meanwhile, news agency Ria Novosti cited Gazprom's chief executive Alexei Miller as saying that the supplies will be cut gradually

Gas supplies will be cut "day-by-day, proportionally to the debt's volume", the agency cited Miller as saying
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
english.aljazeera.net

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
First it was the Ukraine, now Belarus are suffering the same fate.

At least it's summer time over there just now, and not the middle of a harsh winter.

It just goes to show how much certain parts of Europe depend on Russian Gas.

Much more info on this developing story is found at the Additional news link.

One has to wonder, which country/countries are going to be next?

af.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   
After they join back to Russia how it use to be (USSR) im sure they will receive all the gas they want.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Well then they should pay their bills.

I'm quite surprised at this since this is Belarus...the only ``ally`` of Russia in the region... Russia is inviting trouble.

What happens if the people revolt or the Belarus government decides that Russia has gone too far and decides to join NATO?

I'm pretty sure we are very far from that situation, but still.

Belarus should pay it's bills, period.

link   
this is some serious "hit the fan"

cut gas for debt?
Is that extortion ???

link   
Basically what US government did this week...
Cutting unemployment benefits to 980,000 rightfully laid off Americans.

No insurance? No job? No money?... Guess what.. No electricity/oil/gas.
Same fate.

Who's worse the Bear or the Eagle?

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Just a thought, Maybe a silly one too, but I wonder how much Gas there is underneath Afghanistan and if it could be part of the Wests plan to stop dependance on Russian supplies?

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Here's what i'm getting at -

Russia is consolidating its grip on oil and gas-the economic lifeblood of Europe. Moscow is pursuing a comprehensive strategy that could increase Europe's political and economic dependence on Russian energy. Such dependence could negatively affect transatlantic relations, common values, goals, strategic objectives, and security policies. Without a policy dialogue and coordination between Washington and European capitals, Europe's strategic drift away from the United States will continue unabated

In practice, some European countries depend heavily on energy imports and are highly vulnerable to global energy shocks. The EU is the world's largest importer of oil and gas. It imports 82 percent of its oil and 57 percent of its gas. Imports are projected to rise to 93 percent of its oil and 84 percent of its gas over the next 25 years

With Russia consolidating its control of European and Central Asian energy, and in view of Europe's dependence on the Persian Gulf, Europe desperately needs to cooperate on energy security. Europe and the U.S. should work together to mitigate the adverse effects of Europe's strategic dependence on Russia

Interesting stuff indeed. Makes us wonder what sort of s**t is going to go down over this whole energy dependance.

Here's a map showing the Vital arteries of Europes Oil/Gas supply.

Russia,Russia,Russia.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/082333d7f27c.gif[/atsimg]

EDIT :- (not just europe either as we can see)

www.heritage.org...

[edit on 21-6-2010 by grantbeed]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

It might not be a silly idea at all. We, I mean us "little people", just don't know. We just heard about the vast resources of minerals in Afghanistan, but I read somewhere, might have been here on ATS, that our military knew about these mineral deposits in 2007.

We're always the last to know, yes? Like the 17 Afghan pilots who went AWOL over the last, oh, 15 or 24 months or so. We just don't know all that is going on.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:47 AM
link   
This is interesting.

Some have speculated that peak oil will bring massive price hikes for oil ($300, $500, $1000 a barrel). But this makes no sense ...

When you raise the minimum wage, all you create is inflation and minimum wage earners gain nothing ... the same is true when you raise the price of oil - you get inflation for everybody.

Looking at the recent global financial crisis, many countries have been financially weakened and burdened with debt.

So we won't see massive price hikes for oil. Amongst the smaller countries, the winners and losers in the contest for oil have already been chosen by the economic crisis. The rest comes down to the big boys and military force.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Well if I was playing civilization...

I'd say Russia wins the continent

What a monopoly!!!

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   
For some deeper knowledge of the underlying power struggles this intelligence report is a "must-read"

www.esisc.org...

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 02:50 AM
link   

If you don't pay the bills, your energy provider will also cut off the gas. Russia is not some charity organization that provides energy for free at will. It seems that Russia has finally acknowledged that Belarus will not bring them any further.

Russia and the EU need stronger mutual relation in order to progress and I believe that they have come to realize that. For the record, Russia is as dependent on the EU as the EU is on Russia.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

That's a fair point Mdv2 and one that I fully accept. The thing is though, it's going to get really interesting in years to come as far as who has the major control over the oil and gas reserves.

If no solution to alternative fuels is found, then we could all end up being at the mercy of another Country, who may not be to our liking.

If one could only see a couple of decades into the future!

I think the Russians are quite justified in their actions at the same time.

g

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by pavelivanov22
After they join back to Russia how it use to be (USSR) im sure they will receive all the gas they want.

lol.

Usa cannot keep them in gas, lol

new topics

top topics

join