It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

101 Amazing Earth Facts.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Hello everyone, I found this site while doing some research and I thought I would share it.
It’s a site answering 101 questions about earth.
It is fun and it challenges some of the previous conceptions I had about certain places on Earth.

www.space.com...

I couldn’t find it anywhere on ATS, but maybe I didn’t look hard enough, anyway if it does exist enjoy, if it doesn’t enjoy anyway.

[edit on 19-6-2010 by snowen20]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by snowen20

I found this one interesting.....

6. How much space dust falls to Earth each year?

Estimates vary, but the USGS says at least 1,000 million grams, or roughly 1,000 tons of material enters the atmosphere every year and makes its way to Earths surface. One group of scientists claims microbes rain down from space, too, and that extraterrestrial organisms are responsible for flu epidemics. There's been no proof of this, and I'm not holding my breath.

So we do have regular visitors!!

Thanks for that list.

Peace

[edit on 19-6-2010 by operation mindcrime]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Looks that way.

I found the tsunami info page interesting as it talked about astroid impacts.

I know much of this is highschool science at best but I appreciate the elaborations that it goes into.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 03:15 AM
link   

What's up with #78? Sounds like someone had a bad breakup??

78. What is the hardest of all minerals? The one that becomes emotionally useless after a divorce but still retains monetary value.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 03:31 AM
link   

One group of scientists claims microbes rain down from space, too, and that extraterrestrial organisms are responsible for flu epidemics. There's been no proof of this, and I'm not holding my breath.

Highly unlikely. And, if by flu they mean influenza, then NOT likely. It's a little known fact (due to the meat industry) that these annual outbreaks of influenza originate from meat farms. Those animal are kept in very unsanitary conditions and that's where influenza comes from. It's why they call it swine flu or bird flu. Next time you get the flu, thank karmic consequences and the meat farmers and meat eaters.

I read a lot about space dust some time ago. You can find the stuff frozen in glaciers from long ago. Space dust likely seeded the planet with all this diversity of life. I heard a rumor too long ago too that some DNA scientists found what appeared to be what one could call a copyright embedded into some animals junk DNA which wasn't representative of any corporation on Earth, thus indicating that it could have been a creature genetically designed by scientists on some far away world and somehow some of that DNA from that animal and other world made it to Earth. I don't know if that was true or not, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were and it was interesting to contemplate.

Space dust = panspermia

[edit on 19-6-2010 by Divinorumus]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Divinorumus

but....but....these were actual scientists who claimed this!! I mean, actually people who attend a university!! Sir Fred Hoyle and Chandra Wickramasinghe of the University of Wales at Cardiff.

He even has a "Sir" in front of his name. How much more reliable can one get??

Thanks for clearing that up Divinorumus.

Respect

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 03:54 AM
link   

HA! This was actually what I was hoping for in making this thread.

A contradictory argument expose on the scientific claims made by the posted site. Its interesting what is casually pushed off on to the public as ”fact” when its normally theory.

Needless to say I don’t agree with some of the science in this.
Maybe disagree is a strong word, I think however that what mainstream science calls “Pseudoscience” is actually in some cases just as valid as any other argument.

Though I don’t agree that space dust causes flu.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by snowen20

HA! This was actually what I was hoping for in making this thread.

A contradictory argument expose on the scientific claims made by the posted site. Its interesting what is casually pushed off on to the public as ”fact” when its normally theory.

Needless to say I don’t agree with some of the science in this.
Maybe disagree is a strong word, I think however that what mainstream science calls “Pseudoscience” is actually in some cases just as valid as any other argument.

Though I don’t agree that space dust causes flu.

It is actually a true little known Fact (LOL) that many "science facts" we are taught to believe are actually only somebodies best guess (called Theories) or better yet, scientific theology and evangelistic rhetoric perpetuated in a brain washing like manner by the Cult of the Church of Science.

The same definitions for cult and proselytizing people apply to religion, do fit perfectly with the actions of science.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   
There is some very interesting information there. Someone did their homework on much of it. However, I do agree that I dont agree with all of the "facts" as they are presented.
At least the author was level headed enough in many cases to present theory as theory and not just fact for the sake of it all.

S&F for presenting something to think about.

My favorite is that Alaska holds the most extreme West and East points of the US. That was pretty interesting.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Interesting, ..never heard it referred to as the religious cult of science.
Can you elaborate a little more in that philosophy for me. Im interested because I think I know what your talking about but I don’t want to jump to conclusions.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by wheresthetruth

That’s true, I noticed several times the author made it clear that “this is what the majority claim” or “Some scientists say”.

That attention to detail gets my respect, it shows a level of responsibility as a writer not to push party line just because it is popular science.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
Its interesting what is casually pushed off on to the public as ”fact” when its normally theory.

LOL, yeah. And I use to get into trouble a lot as a kid back in school because of these things they tried to teach us to be fact.

I recall one incident where on a test it asked "how many stars and stripes are their on the american flag." Of course, I answered 100 and 26. And I was shocked that the teacher marked my answer wrong. I was certain the answer was 100 and 26. When the teacher asked me to prove it, I counted the 50 stars and 13 stripes on the front of the flag ... and then I turned it over and counted the other 50 stars and 13 stripes that I discovered on the back. DOH! BTW, I also got the "who discovered america" question wrong too. And the "is the glass half full or half empty" question. It's neither of course. Anyone can see that the glass was completely full .. half with water ... half with this stuff we call air.
Never trust the indoctrinators and scientists .. verify this information for yourselves.

[edit on 19-6-2010 by Divinorumus]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
It started nice and looked very legit. But continued funny...

I don't think it's all correct.

I stopped at 23, or else I'd had to double-check for everything else.

23. What is the longest river?

The Nile River in Africa is 4,160 miles (6,695 kilometers) long.

The amazon river is the largest river in the world... Length 6,937 km (4,300 mi) approx

Wiki
Source 2

It is one of the longest rivers in the world and, depending upon who you talk to, is anywhere between 6,259km/3,903mi and 6,712km/4,195mi long.

For the last century the length of the Amazon and the Nile Rivers have been in a tight battle for title of world's longest river. The exact length of the two rivers varies over time and reputable sources disagree as to their actual length. The Nile River in Africa is reported to be anywhere from at 5,499km/3,437mi to 6,690km/4,180mi long. But there is no question as to which of the two great rivers carries the greater volume of water - the Amazon River.

Only.... Britannica seems to disagree.
Source 3

Peace

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Sator

Thanks buddy now my OCD has kicked in Ill be here all night!

The 25 Longest Rivers in the World
Number River Length in Miles Where Found

1. Nile 4,135 miles North/East Africa

2. Amazon 3,980 miles South America

3. Chang Jiang (Yangtze) 3,917 miles China

4. Mississippi-Missouri 3,870 miles USA

5. Yenisey 3,434 miles Russia

6. Huang He 3,395 miles China

7. Ob-Irtysh 3,354 miles Russia

8. Congo 2,914 miles Central Africa

9. Amur 2,744 miles Northeast Asia

10. Lena 2,734 miles Russia

11. Mackenzie 2,635 miles Canada

12. Mekong 2,600 miles Southeast Asia

13. Niger 2,590 miles Africa

14. Parana 2,485 miles South America

15. Volga 2,266 miles Russia

16. Shatt al-Arab-Euphrates 2,236 miles Asia

17. Purus 2,100 miles Brazil

18. Murray-Darling 2,094 miles Australia

19. Madeira 2,013 miles Brazil

20. Yukon 1,980 miles Alaska/Canada

21. Indus 1,976 miles Pakistan

22. Sao Francisco 1,988 miles Brazil

23. Syr Darya - Naryn 1,913 miles Russia

24. Salween 1,901 miles China

25. Rio Grande 1,900 miles North America

My source is so credible it carries the title Sociaal Studies for kids.

www.socialstudiesforkids.com...

[edit on 19-6-2010 by snowen20]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I guess I’m Off to Google Earth to do what Science has apparently failed to do as of yet, which is to
measure the Nile and Amazon CORRECTLY.

We’ll let my measuring tool be the judge.

top topics

join