It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If the internet is shut down... we need to find a way to communicate

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Okay, Obama now has the power to shut down the internet as he pleases.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

So what happens if he does? We have to find a different way to communicate, and the best time to figure this out is now, before the so called 'kill switch' is activated and we are essentially pushed back to the stone age of communication. I wouldn't be surprised if cell phones service was deactivated also, cell phones are almost just as much a way of communicating as the internet.

I was thinking maybe following shortwave radio, what do you guys think? Have any other ideas?

[edit on 17-6-2010 by mossme89]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I have a grand Idea!

Its called a Darknet
en.wikipedia.org...

Basically, anyone can build their own internet. A darknet is just an "internet" that is a closed system completely shut off from the main internet. The only way to shut these off would be power failures.

And Im sure not a lot of people know this, but there are many darknets out there.
All it takes is the money!
===================
here is a how to guide for building one
www.team-cymru.org...

[edit on 6/17/2010 by VonDoomen]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

We have to find a different way to communicate

Why?

If the internet gets shut down ( the idea is ludicrous but hey ho) things would be so bad that I wouldn't want to communicate with anyone outside my well prepared, clued in, and trusted inner circle.

We are all so used to having an international circle of communications that we forget, local based ( within a few square miles) worked perfectly well for thousands of years before the internet.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Since all electronic devices are traceable and not EMP proof, I would go for Old School.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f5b804993f28.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

So, would this darknet be on only a local network, or could i set it up to talk to a friend 20 miles away?

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

Well to be honest I have never set one up myself.
But from what I understand, this would work just like the normal internet. So i assume you would be able to communicate with people anywhere in the world, as long as they are connected to your network.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
There is always the phone.

I can reason only one thing would require shutdown. An event that Obama doesn't want US/us to know about. Use your imagination.

This would a trigger event for me to increase my water supply and breakout the hidden ammo.

Internet shutdown can hurt those preparing for survival. Make sure you have local copies of important books like medical, dental and survival manual.
A scanner would help as well to keep track of local transmissions.

Any organized resistance has backup communications.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I think something like Bluetooth could play a vital role in such a scenario.
The only thing is I figure is there would need to be a way of repeating the signal to allow it to travel a great distance or at least beyond the local level.
Maybe we'll see a rise in BBS again, or BBBS for Bluetooth BBS.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
It would be impossible to truly shut the internet down. Anyone who truly had a need to communicate via internet-like systems would get their way in. It's just datastreams; it's not a series of tubes, it's a name for a string of concepts.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Merigold

We are all so used to having an international circle of communications that we forget, local based ( within a few square miles) worked perfectly well for thousands of years before the internet.

Jeah, but since we live in an age were events in one part of the world can affect another part, and we are dealing with global issues, it's nice to be able to know what's going on.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
i like the darknet idea.

then theres always the airwaves. HAM and CB for local and shortwave for long distance, if networked properly it would be sufficient.

or we could stand on top of mountains and do morse-code with high powered lasers

wuoldnt you still be able to dial in through a foreign isp via 56k modem? assuming the landlines arent down. i dont see how that could really be stopped. fax machines and whatnot.

[edit on 17-6-2010 by LurkerMan]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I do not think it will be, you can say the same about tv, and they would not shut that down.

They always need things to keep people calm, and net and tv are things that keep people busy.

The net is worldwide now, and i doubt countries like russia and china will want to be controlled by usa pres and his whims.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Well, it wouldn't be totally worldwide. Foreign countries would have internet, but i guess just the servers in the usa and access to the internet for usa users would be restricted.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Ham Radios are fairly decent radios.

Basically truckers use them and they have no micro-chips since they are very old.

I would suggest looking into these as they might be the last thing available.

I am sure I am going to pick one up, thanks for the reminder

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Solasis

How is it impossible to shutdown the internet?
Hackers have done wonders with PCs. I ask you what could NSA whiz kids do with a bank of CRAY supercomputers?

Filter all internet traffic through them for instance... like it isn't done now. Just one more hop along a string of hops and suddenly no more.

This is a time of transparency. Right? So the Feds would just require a link to all access providers in the nation that allows them to put up a wall.

The only workaround would be the BBS. It would have to be foreign to have a doorway to the internet and only foreign links would work.

They would make this illegal of course and include it in the legislation.

Lol too easy. They have our internet by the nads and are only making this legislation to curb any possible legal action by business.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
alert fires worked for medieval times
and smoke signals worked for the Native Americans

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Shut down the internet !!

You have no clue how much potential is out there between all the interconnections laid out through various systems, and just how innovative humanity.

IF the internet was to be shutdown, underground relay chats would be set up instantly. It would branch out and become an internet-like global community within a month. I could see it running through the AC lines, or wifi, or whatever. It's just not possible to stop us from communicating in the 21st century. What has been done can't be undone.

Peace.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
As said already, there are loads of alternative internets out there. but the ones that aren't piggybacking off of this internet, aren't very good for long distance. I'm sure one will grow if it goes down though. Someone with alot of money, who wants to make alot more money could set one up.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solasis
It would be impossible to truly shut the internet down. Anyone who truly had a need to communicate via internet-like systems would get their way in. It's just datastreams; it's not a series of tubes, it's a name for a string of concepts.

Actually, it's not. All they need to do is take down the backbones or core routers. No more internet. Theoretically, you could still connect to a bbs type system if you had a dial-up modem laying around, and knew which number to dial.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Ham, CB, and scanners are the way to go, imo.

If the Internet AND cell towers are inoperable, there are always the shortwave airwaves available.

As a ham, emergency communications are my hobby. There's a whole other world of communication out there...

73's,

kb1gig

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join