It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swearers face $100 fine

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

That's what makes the law so f.....ed-up. It can completely, disproportionately destroy a person's life.

'Disproportionately' being the key word - yes, I agree - who wouldn't.

Well, other than the ones who made the new law...

I hope one of our Queensland ATS'ers will keep us apprised of what happens - 'for real' on the streets.

Or maybe we can chip in for the $100 fine payment and get one of our Queenie ATS'ers to sidle up to a cop and bust a *S* bomb...

Ewww, but wait, that would be premeditated cursing and probably cost a sack load more.

peace

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

So its you whose been reporting everyone for using the F words which is supposedly the most used English word in the dictionary.

Set by example, ATS is no different context than you walking on the street. So if you agree with ATS, don't complain about other places.

I was angry when I was given warning for using such words, and banned permanently for using it 2-3 times. I'm angry that now a snitch like you is complaining in regards to such a law being implemented outside ATS.

I could imagine you calling the emergency line for someone using the F word to express their emotions, hence anger, joy, love, excitement, happiness..

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Just another prime example of the evergrowing power structure extending it's evil claws over the GOD given rights of every human being.

May the armor of GOD and Christ shield all of you during these troubling times!

Godbless

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:42 AM
link   
We've had this law in my state forever now. Doesn't really stop anyone from swearing and it's rarely enforced unless the cop wants to be a butthead. lol

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Always amusing to see people get anal retentive over the usage of profanity, be it the spoken or written word. You want to talk about childish...

Considering your opinion I hope you don't feel too hypocritical when you have to deal with Alerts over the use of profanity in the forums...
That would suck...

Oh well, at least you can make up for it in real life! (As long as you're not in Queensland!)

Honestly though, I'm sure others as well as myself are thankful for you and the other Mods who do your best to keep ATS clean.
I mean there are kids who read the posts, as well as adults who have self respect and call for the same in others.
So, thank you Mods! You really go far to make it a better place here.

Interestingly on subject, (your opinion complaining about profanity is anal and childish, my point, the use of profanity is disrespectful of yourself and others and reflects a lack of intelligence and low self expectations) - I was reading this the other day:

One respondent said, "a profane expression communicated a low threshold for managing difficult circumstances. It raises issues about the effectiveness of that person's style of communication.

While yet another responded, "it really depends on how they said it and in what context but I still think it's very unprofessional and tasteless.

While another respondent said, "well placed profanity has it's purpose, if used sparingly to get a person's attention or in a humorous situation."

link

Unnervingly, for the lawmakers in Queensland it had to do with none of the above, but only increasing revenues... And as many people have pointed out, the lawmakers use profanity in public themselves... Ouch...

Peace

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:54 AM
link   
They are worried about swearing when there is:

A wrecked environment

Child abuse

War

Murder

Starvation

And general suffering?

Please, put yourself where you are really needed, people who make the laws.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by LittleSecret

I was angry when I was given warning for using such words, and banned permanently for using it 2-3 times.

So you were WARNED, and KEPT AT IT, but now you're blaming me?

Wow, that makes tons a sense hun... lol...

I'm angry that now a snitch like you is complaining in regards to such a law being implemented outside ATS.

Snitch? *Looks around* Are we still in junior high school?
Then again, look on the bright side, at least you didn't call me an 'expletive' snitch!

LittleSecret - If I read a post of yours where you intentionally circumvented the censor to use profanity? Yes, I would hit the alert button, and for future note, I'd do it again.

Do I go looking for it? Of course not, that's ludicrous. I'm not here to complain, but, I'm not here to read profanity either, so, if I happen to see someone trying to circumvent the censors? Yeah, I'll hit the alert.

If you don't like it complain to the site owners who wrote the T&C - not me. Or, buck up and be a man and place the blame where it belongs, on yourself, use some self control, and in the future and we'll all get along fine.

For the books, my reasons for 'complaining' about fines being implemented in Queensland? I've explained them in length here in the thread, but, just for you I'll do it again.

Giving a fine, for a spoken word, in my opinion, is THOUGHT CRIME/CONTROL.

In a written forum (where you've joined and agreed to follow rules I might add) you have the time and the extra few seconds to think about what you're saying (what you're writing) BEFORE you hit the reply button, and, you've also got a fail-safe, the edit button to 'clean up' your post in case you make a slip.

Huge difference that.

But thanks for replying, and, I'm glad you at least learned to keep it 'clean' here on the forums. I would think the self respect that lends you would be something you'd be happy about.

peace

[edit on 17-6-2010 by silo13]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I for one support this, there are too many children / chavs on the street that swear constantly, its like they have been brought up that swearing is the norm. I mean I have heard people swear as part of their vocabulary how sad is that?

I for one hope they reduce the bad language decibels on our streets.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by franspeakfree

I for one support this, there are too many children / chavs on the street that swear constantly, its like they have been brought up that swearing is the norm. I mean I have heard people swear as part of their vocabulary how sad is that?

I for one hope they reduce the bad language decibels on our streets.

It's a tough one for me like I've said.
I mean no, I don't want kids hearing 'negative' all the time.
I don't want to hear 'negative' all the time, and in my opinion, profanity is negative.

Here on the forums - we have a chance to govern ourselves.

But the spoken word? Something so natural?

That crosses the line into thought crime, or I'm afraid it does.

Then, to top it off, they're giving the police the right to be judge and jury, 'On the spot' judgment?

THAT is a scary precedent to set...

I agree with you, I do, I don't want to hear it, I have more respect for others and myself to let the *F* bomb fly. Especially around kids...

But... But but but, geesh here I am back to the other side of the coin again!

thanks
peace

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I was warned, but kept at it because I don't see any reason for censoring words which expresses your emotions.

If people don't have time to think about what they are saying outside ATS, what makes you think they have time to think on ATS?

And the edit button doesn't help because usually the edit button vanishes after certain amount of time.

And you are a snitch, "no one" likes snitches, and I'm "no one".

Have a good one

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by LittleSecret

I was warned, but kept at it because I don't see any reason for censoring words which expresses your emotions.

Again, not my problem.
Complain to the ones who wrote the RULES you AGREED TO when you joined.
In fact, when you do complain, ask them to take out the ALERT button too just to be safe.

If people don't have time to think about what they are saying outside ATS, what makes you think they have time to think on ATS?

That my friend is a no brainer.

So, now you've given me the

EEEK!
Oh well. If I can't please all of the people, all of the time? At least I can have respect for everyone!

Thanks again for your post, it's always good to clear the air, and again, my compliments on keeping it clean.

Quick on topic question.

Let's say you lived in Queensland and you got a fine for cussing in public.

Would you appeal it on the basis it's 'thought control' or freedom of speech, or would you just pay it and let it go?

Thanks in advance,
peace

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I have seen many people use the word to express their feelings, but it doesn't bother me (just as it doesn't bother me in real life), I don't use the alert button to get people banned. Just like I don't use the emergency line to get someone fined.

I'm not angry at the site owner, just like I'm not angry at the person who brought this law to queensland, because ultimately it is not them, it is the snitches who bring all the trouble.

This law's soul purpose isn't to suck money out of you, the same way the rule of ATS isn't to ban every member who uses the F word etc.

The law is there to discourage people, the rule is here to discourage people.

Individuals such as you take it too far, I wouldn't call the cops if I see someone going at 60 Km/h just because the limit is 50, even if the individual is going at 70 km/h.

The law is there to discourage people, not to suck money out of you.

I didn't expect people to call the MODS for justifiable use of censored words.

What would you do if you got a fine for cussing in public?
Would you appeal it on the basis it's 'thought control' or freedom of speech, or would you just pay it and let it go?

If there wasn't any snitches I wouldn't get a fine for cussing ? Get what I mean?

You don't see cops hanging around shopping malls that often do you? Unless some stupid kid is committing a petty crime.

What would I do? Hypothetically I would find the snitch and beat the living day light out of him.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Ah, in the near future we will have HOLOSONICS, and that alone will break the political gags they impose on the public, no way to track where the signals come from, no frame of reference.

HAHA!

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   

I'm not angry at the site owner, just like I'm not angry at the person who brought this law to queensland, because ultimately it is not them, it is the snitches who bring all the trouble.

Forgive me for sayin it but you're wrong.
Ultimately it's the fault of the person breaking the rules/laws.
You might not like it, but, that's life as an adult - No one to blame but you.
You can't even put the blame on ignorance.
Just because you don't know about a law doesn't mean they let you off from breaking it, just because you were caught through a 'snitch' doesn't mean you're not responsible for the crime.

But before I go any farther. I wanted to ask your age - but I wont, it's none of my business. So, what I will do is make an observation.

It's common for children and immature people to try and place blame on others.
To make excuses for their own wrongdoings.
"It's not my fault! "They made me do it!" "If I hadn't got caught!" "But she told on me!" Are just examples of the many seemingly magic phrases the weak and immature use to (try) and relieve themselves of the responsibility of their actions.

I have to be reminded sometimes there are young people on ATS, and others who haven't reached an emotional maturity that matches their age. Your posts have done me that reminding. Thank you.

So, when you want to either grow up, or, take responsibility for YOUR actions, then we'll have something to talk about cause until then we're at lager heads.

Why? Because this isn't about me. YOU broke the rules. Rules you agreed to follow when you joined.
Yet somewhere between giving your word to ATS - and breaking your word - you took it upon yourself to decide either: You're above the rules, they don't apply to you, or, because you don't agree with them you don't have to follow them.
By the way another common set of actions taken by guilty youth or adults stunted by immaturity.

About the Mods.
You said you were warned.
From what I understand it takes more than an *F* bomb to get a warning, and much much more to get banned.
So, I can't imagine a Mod appreciating your complete disregard for that warning or having much patience for your continuing to 'flip the bird' in face of their authority.
That's why you got banned, not because me or anyone else 'tattled' on you.

Like I said, this isn't about me or a member using, or not using, the alert button.
In saying that (or believing it) you're implying ATS Moderators are solely dependent on readers using the alert button, to moderate threads and posts and I can assure you, this is not the case.

This law's soul purpose isn't to suck money out of you, the same way the rule of ATS isn't to ban every member who uses the F word etc. The law is there to discourage people, the rule is here to discourage people.

Actually in the case of the Queensland law? TIt's conception was to do exactly that. To suck money out of the public.
The lawmaker herself (sorry I forgot her name) states it in the article - they made the law specifically to have a means to collect more revenue and to cut down on the time cops spend doing paperwork.

As for ATS rules? Sure it's to discourage people. Warnings are used to discourage people. You're living proof some people just can't be discouraged.

(I asked) What would you do if you got a fine for cussing in public?

(You replied) If there wasn't any snitches I wouldn't get a fine for cussing ? Get what I mean?
You don't see cops hanging around shopping malls that often do you? Unless some stupid kid is committing a petty crime.
What would I do? Hypothetically I would find the snitch and beat the living day light out of him.

Yeah, I 'get' what you're saying BUT I'm referring to the Queensland profanity law, specifically, when a police officer hears you swear and issues you a ticket giving an on the spot fine. (Which by my way of thinking sets a horrible president of the cop being not only the officer, but judge and jury)!
In such a case a police officer would not and could not rely on 'hearsay' to ticket you.
Sure they're really bending the law with the 'on the spot' fines, but they're not bending it that far! (Relying on hearsay).
No, There're no snitches. No hot-lines. No 911 for trash talk terrorists. (har har)

As for you going out to 'find the snitch and beat the living day light' out of him?
Well, it's your choice, but hopefully you've learned by getting banned from ATS that even you have to follow rules.
You beat someone up, you'll get banned from life and sent to prison.

I guess between now and then you can be glad you don't live in Queensland!

But you're welcome to come visit me anytime - Just U2U me for my address.
We've not got such 'THOUGHT CRIME' rules here...

peace and more peace

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join