It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nessie's Aussie Cousin

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Has the Loch Ness monster emigated or does she have some long lost cousin downunder.

I've been on the Hawkesbury before but can't say I have personally seen anything.

Loch Ness Monster's Aussie cousin pops up

AN Australian cryptozoologist is convinced there is an aquatic beast related to the Loch Ness monster lurking in Sydney's Hawkesbury River.
In 1965, Rex Gilroy and his wife Heather began gathering information on a creature he believes still lives in the major waterway, community newspaper The Hornsby and Upper North Shore Advocate reports.

After years of "patience, field trips and stakeouts", Mr Gilroy also known for his research on the equally elusive Blue Mountains panther hoped to finally obtain photographic evidence.

Mr Gilroy said they had compiled hundreds of sighting reports.

"There are stories of houseboats being lifted up at one end when something underneath tried to surface over at Jerusalem Bay," he said.

The most recent sighting was by fishermen near Wisemens Ferry in March.

.."(One of them) momentarily saw a serpentine head and about 2m of long neck rise above the water before submerging," Mr Gilroy said.

He also referred to a sighting by Rosemary Turner in 1975, who reported a monster swimming upstream from a lookout at Muogamarra Nature Reserve.

Robert Jones, an Australian Museum paleontologist, said that as far as science was concerned, the existence of the Hawkesbury River monster had never been proven.

But Mr Gilroy says the monster is part of Aboriginal folklore.

Descriptions of the monster liken it to a plesiosaur, an aquatic dinosaur 70 million years extinct. The Loch Ness monster is also said to be related to the same extinct creature.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I have to say Rex GIlroy is quite a colourful character with many mysteries having his name attached.

www.mysteriousaustralia.com...

[edit on 15-6-2010 by acrux]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by acrux

But Mr Gilroy says the monster is part of Aboriginal folklore.

If this is true, and the Aboriginals had legends about this EXACT creature, well to me that solves the question. Obviously it is real.

The aboriginal legends totally match up with modern sightings, and all of this totally describes a REAL CREATURE that existed , plesiosaur.

All of it adds up perfectly.

I would say there is a 90% + chance this is true to some extent.

There is no reason why plesiosaurs can't exist today. Not one reason at all.

They found a coelacanth, which was believed to be extinct for the SAME AMOUNT OF TIME AS PLESIOSAUR 60-70million years!

In fact Several Coelacanths have been caught so far!!!

Just sit back and wait, it's only a matter of time now until we have a fresh plesiosaur specimens.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Just sit back and wait, it's only a matter of time now until we have a fresh plesiosaur specimens.

Wonder what it tastes like.

[edit on 15-6-2010 by acrux]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
G'Day Acrux,

I personaly know Rex and his wife, and one word comes to mind, "Eccentric".

I did fall under the Gilroy's spell but when he could not provide me basic proof on some clame's, I lost fath.

He is also known as the Yowie man, he has written a few books on different subject's and is a collector of fossels and rocks, he also founded a UFO watching club at Katoomba where he lives.

He and his wife were a part of my Knights Templar chapter until he left for greener pastures, he wanted to become Knight but did not want to do the time to become one.

Me thinks, he just wanted the title of Knight for his books, this is so he would get more credibility from the scholars he hates so much, yes folk's nobody from the universitys takes him seriously as he has no degrees in Archaeology or anything else, that dosen't mean he can't be right in some things.

His books are a good read thou, and his museum is a hoot.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Kernoonos

Thanks for the heads up. From his website he does seem a little eccentric. Thanks again.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
was the plesiosaur a reptile? If so doesn't it need to surface to breathe?

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
The Loch Ness Monster has many, many cousins. There's got to be at least 30 of them. Why Nessie got so much publicity, we may never know . . .

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by thumper76

Plesiosaurs were dinosaurs, and dinosaurs are not reptiles. They aren't members of any of the families we have today, they were simplily dinosaurs. But yes, they do need to breathe. They're like whales, they need to breathe too. They take big gulps of air every once in a while and can hold thier breath for a very long time. However, they do need to surface. This leads me to believe that all the Loch Ness Monsters (of corse there has to be a breeding population) have gone extinct; people just dont see them anymore. . .

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by nicolee123nd

Originally posted by thumper76

Plesiosaurs were dinosaurs, and dinosaurs are not reptiles. They aren't members of any of the families we have today, they were simplily dinosaurs.

Plesiosaurs were not dinosaurs at all. Dinosaurs lived on land. Anything in the sea or air is not classified as a dinosaur.

Plesiosaurs were marine reptiles. Dinosaurs are also reptiles.

To say anything different than that is categorically incorrect.

[edit on 28-6-2010 by BeingFollowed]

new topics

top topics

join