It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you right or left brained? Take the simple test and find out for sure...

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Interesting. Somehow it makes sense. I would imagine it would be hard to change side of the brain by will; but instead the side of the lobe on visual cortex by blocking the signal.

As I stated in my initial post few posts above, it can be manipulated by blocking either of the eyes.

Thanks for the heads up!

-v

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
Bet no one can get in so one girls spinning clockwise,and the other counter clockwise at the same time!

I CAN!

Although switching their spinning direction at the same time is difficult at the moment. Need to practice a few more minutes.

Originally posted by unityemissions
My friend is a neuroscientist. She says this whole left-brain right-brain thing is entirely bunk. It's a myth just like how people used to say we only use 10% of our brains.

That 10% thing is actually a misunderstanding. We can use 100% of our brain but we can't use it all at once.

[edit on 12/6/2010 by DGFenrir]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by v01i0

Well, I tried the obstructing one eye thing. No luck. I had already tried closing one eye, then the other, and that didnt work. This time I tried using a hand, and still can only see clockwise, then I tried covering up one of the spinning girls by holding my hand out in front if my field of vision and I did get her to "stutter" for brief moments. (It looked like the image "caught" on something, but then continued clockwise rotation)

I guess some people just have very stubborn brains. Lol. I had been told that, but I stubbornly refused to believe it until now.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by v01i0

Actually, we're constantly using different sides of the brain. It's the width of our corpus callosum which dictates the speed at which this shift occurs. Everyone is wired differently based on our genetics, and environmental stimuli. Seeing as our genetics are all slightly different, and no two people occupy the same space-time at once, it would be absurd to think otherwise. Studies show that women have a wider CC than men on average, except for mathematically gifted individuals. They tend to have one just as wide as women. This is why women are generally better at language skills, because it's more of a global processing skill. Men have more gray matter than women, women have more white matter than men. Gay area is neurons and connections between them. White matter is glia cells, which provide nutrients to the neurons. So men are better at local processing, like spatial skills.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I dunno what's wrong with my brain..all it kept signalling was "Nice Boobs"...

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   

You are right that we do use both parts of our brains. It isnt as absolute as the terms "left brained" and "right brained" make it sound. Its about dominance, not about absoluteness.

They do have data (from people who have had their corpus callosum severed, which prevents the two hemispheres from communicating) that the different sides do process information differently.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I seem to be severely right-brained! I tried and tried to switch, but to no avail.

And I'm quite ambidextrous. Weird.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by spike90

Actually, this is a sign of using your other brain. Scientists have proven after a $10,000,000, 10 month study that men who see boobs everywhere are more inclined to salivate to an unusual degree, and require long periods of time in the restroom stall. Follow up studies are being performed to detect a causal relationship between the two. As of yet, the professionals are still baffled.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
EDIT: I got the left/right switched in my previous post. I thought the right was the logical side and left creative. Still, it was intresting to do this with multiple people and see the results.

Another intresting thing to point out is my dad at first, who was less intunned with what me and my mom were seeing, was taking the approach of being behind the girl while it was spinning to determine what direction the girl was spinning while me and my mom were taking the perspective of being in front of the girl to determine the direction she was spinning.

I do have a weak right eye so, it would make sense i would have seen it go left at the beginning, i guess, but neither my mom or dad have any eye problems. We all could see it move in both directions, but me and my mom just seen it switch more. I mean me and my mom were EXACT in the direction and the switches the first few times, but the longer we did it the further off we were getting. My dad was mostly seeing it go clockwise.(right)

What's incredible about this is 2 people can see the exact same thing and have a totally different description of what they saw while being 100% honest in their observation. That's just incredible too me.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

You can always blame your genetics and brain structure. I wonder if they can be excercised tho? Personally I think that I don't really qualify in any areas of intellectual nor artistic excellence

-v

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
The dancer is not spinning in either direction, though the optical illusion makes it appear that way.
The brain is confused by an image like this because the foot of the dancer that is in the air does not become larger/smaller when it is closest/farthest away. It stays the same size, which is not possible.
Now which side of the brain would recognize that first? The left, or logical side, or the right, creative side?

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Yeah, everyone is different to some degree. That we can observe merely by taking all the replies on account in this thread. I wouldn't either suscribe to 10% brain usage theory; but I have to admit, sometimes I feel like I use less than that

-v

link   
for the first 4 tries it just spun clockwize, i admitted defeat, here i am, 5 hours later, see it at the top of the list, go for another go, still doesn't work, nearing 20 seconds it suddenly changes direction, i try again with no prevail, then next time i manage to do it again (still with no idea how), but then after another 2 tries i had it to a tee, i could get it to spin the other way, but not for a lengthened period, maybe 4 or 5 spins, as of now, i can get her to "stop" for 5 seconds and under, by getting her to spin both ways, with the leg just rocking back and forth so close together that it more or less stops.

i guess i'm pretty rule sided being in tune with logic, but i am very creative and couldnt understand why it wouldnt spin, maybe thats what caused it to spin right, i was thinking too much.

[edit on 12-6-2010 by Dr Slim]

link   
All you people saying you can make it switch at will are silly!
The video makes her switch...

Follow her arm! she will reverse her movement.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   

The different lobes certainly do process information differently. One contains more grey matter, the other more white matter. Interestingly, homosexual men tend to have equal sized lobes. Same goes for heterosexual female. The straight male and lesbian females have lopsided brains which show enlarged right-brains.

My point was that it depends on the task at hand, and the individual as to which hemisphere is most activated. It's not an either or. Because the youtube video focuses on visual stimuli, it's not an accurate representation of which side is "dominant" . I'm not sure this can ever be known. For a variety of tasks, we'll use different areas of our brain. Perhaps if you were to measure brain activity while performing dozens of tasks, and then were able to accurately measure the amount of activity as a percentage for all of them together, then you could come up with a fairly accurate estimate. I have my doubts, though.

[edit on 12-6-2010 by unityemissions]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Spun first clockwise, stopped, spun counterclockwise, stopped, then spun clockwise to the end.

Sorry I have not read all responses first, but wanted to post my interpretation while it was fresh in my memory.

Was I really stopping it, and reversing it's direction, or was this a joke?

EDIT:
I just watched again, and this time it was clockwise for 3/4 of the video, and only then changing to counterclockwise to the end!

Maybe there's something to this...

[edit on 12-6-2010 by Dogdish]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Ooh fun, I like stuff like this

Well, me and hubby just tried it and we both saw the figure spinning clockwise at first, then after a while it seemed to be going anticlockwise.

So... me and hubby are right brained?

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by v01i0

It might be genetically inflenenced. Which might explain what Curious Soul is noticing in his/her family.

Hard to say. I definitely come from a family that has a lot of "right brain" typical people, (musicians, artists, weirdo's :lol
but I had always assumed I must be left brained because I am not creative in those ways.

I am going to work on the exercising thing, and see if I cant make that dancer go the other way. Its bothering me that I cant and so many seem to do it so easily.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Niccawhois

I have empirical evidence that you my friend are wrong. I can keep the lady spinning either direction during the whole lenght of the video - or swap it at between, or whatever. Silly me.

-v

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   

That is an interesting point that the act of watching it on a screen might skew the results by engaging the right brain more than the left.

I dont know. I havent seen anything on it, but it would be interesting to find out if that is indeed the case.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join