It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Out of Place Artifacts and other things: Update and Review 2010!

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

I'm an architect in training. Won't be able to actually practice architecture for another 7 years. Thank New York State for that
. I live with it. I don't have a secret. I just study history to learn the future. I love the patterns of history.

One interesting thing is how Rome was so advanced, and the whole world destroyed it out of anger and hatred and some jealousy. Then for the next 2000 years they tried to rebuild it, realizing what they destroyed.

uh what? for someone who studies history, you don't seem to know much about rome and why it failed.
where are you getting the idea that they were really advanced? sure they had aqueducts and plumbing, and cement, but they still were limited to horses and fought with swords.
barely anyone could read, and very few people lived to be more than 60, most dying decades before that from disease and war.
also western rome fell 1500 years ago, not 2000.

It's not easy for many to accept, but realizing that we are only 200 years more advanced than Rome, and only 300 years more advanced than 1500 BC Minoan society, It sets off a fire in your soul. The need to make this life matter and not waste it. We've already wasted over 2000 years of human history doing nothing by sobbing over what we lost. I've sobbed. It's time to build and remake this world for mankind and make sure we don't make the same mistakes.

oh come on, how the heck would you know that? how do you even know that they would come close to anything we can make in 200 years? at most all the things we have invented might have come a few hundred years sooner, but a lot of things we have invented could well have been thought of as toys and never would have been developed.

I am no archeologist. I just read a lot about lost peoples.

And as to how old I am, I am not. lol. I'm barely through a 5th of my life and it scares me sometimes. I am grateful for my knowledge. lol. I've only recently learned to use it.

[edit on 25-7-2010 by Gorman91]

[edit on 26-7-2010 by Gorman91]

i think you need to work on your knowledge a bit, like maybe learning about the complex reasons rome fell, jealousy being the least of them.
no rome fell due to arrogance, an unsupportable economy, political strife, spreading the empire too thin, hatred, racism, and the migration of the germanic tribes being a large number of things.
some say even religious change might of had some effect, though it might just be anti-christian.

as advanced as rome was in comparison to the civilizations around it, it isn't close to modern times, unless you say discount all the technology and advancement in philosophy we have.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune
Its kinda like the claim of people finding 'alien DNA' ..........

Being from another planet may not even have DNA or not anything we would know as such. Life on this planet is carbon based but life out there could be based on anything.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by demongoat

Rome fell because they went bankrupt. That was due to selling off their nation to foreign causes. Rome was not stretched too thin. It stopped growing when it needed to. Then it got too caught up in it's own problems, then Christianity changed its morality and economics, then it started selling land for war assets. In actuality, Rome was effectively "terraforming" the culture. When it fell in the 400s, it was not conquered by undressed barbarians with no intelligence. The people who conquered Rome was in effect Roman. They may not have flown the flag of Rome, but they war its armor, had its technology, and spoke its languages, if only partially.

they
Now as to how advanced Rome was, They were very advanced. They started falling back as they became too concerned with other things. Their height of advancement was around 200 AD.

Your statement that just because they still used horses and words makes them primitive is ignorant at best. Rome had more than that.

In terms of war assets alone, they had semi automatic ballistas, compact sniper nest weapons like the Scorpio , which a well trained group of could take out the entire command structure of an invading enemy. They had semi automatic handheld variants called Cheiroballistra that were similar to Crossbows. Probably imports from China. They also had various Onager weapons, which might as well have been a form of mortar. Underground, during the siege of Ambracia, the Romans essentially used poison gas mines along side their other weapons.

Outside of war, the Romans had a steam engine, called Aeolipile. There is evidence for railroad work in Diolkos. There was no steam train, rest assured. But the technology existed in the day to create a train as we know it. They simply never put the two together. They even had paddle boats. The thing that, on the Mississippi, created the conditions for the steam boat. Again, they never actually did this. They simply had the means to.
www.sciencenews.gr...

There's even a few bits of data on Greek inventions that include programmable carts.

www.youtube.com...

You may have heard about the Antikythera mechanism I assume.

Rome as you know had plumbing and other such things. But their architecture, specifically cement, is more than you give it credit for. It's why the Pantheon still stands while most of the dark ages is in ruin.

Then there is the fact they knew about bacteria, God knows how:

"When building a house or farm especial care should be taken to place it at the foot of a wooded hill where it is exposed to health-giving winds. Care should be taken where there are swamps in the neighbourhood, because certain tiny creatures which cannot be seen by the eyes breed there. These float through the air and enter the body by the mouth and nose and cause serious disease." Marcus Varro.

There is also evidence for both brain and eye surgery to get things fixes when needed. Survival was descent, but not guaranteed.

Age was around 60-80 depending on wealth. Pretty good for its time.

And finally, Literacy. It existed. And many could read and write. They find graffiti in many towns written by the common folk, indicating it was something many knew. They find notes and letters between citizens and soldiers during campaigns, suggesting a literate army. Reading and writing education goes back all the way to ancient Greece and the Romans continued it. It was at around 20% of the population in Rome, which considering the population of slaves, makes sense. But even slaves were taught when needed and learned on the job. These estimates are based off actual schools, not offhand understanding by job experience or others. They could be higher, but nobody took statistics of it. It seems that the western provinces had it lower, but Rome was where it was highest in the Roman Era. Greeks were very interested in teaching as many as possible. It was usually private, but payment was reasonable.

All and all, we're looking at a very advanced people. They were as advanced as the United States circa early 1800s, plus or minus a few things. We had more industrial knowledge. But we didn't surpass their medical capabilities until WW1.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

Well technically if you replaced one of the 4 base pairs of dna, you would have alien dna because it would be dna not based off Earth's standard "code".

And btw, there are huge variations besides just the 4 base pairs we use. Furthermore, changing the base pair changes the final form. Replacing one might make the brain into a stomach for another species, Who knows.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Your statement that just because they still used horses and words makes them primitive is ignorant at best. Rome had more than that.

I certainly agree. After all, we ourselves are barely 100 years removed from being a horse-based transportation culture.

Then there is the fact they knew about bacteria, God knows how:

"When building a house or farm especial care should be taken to place it at the foot of a wooded hill where it is exposed to health-giving winds. Care should be taken where there are swamps in the neighbourhood, because certain tiny creatures which cannot be seen by the eyes breed there. These float through the air and enter the body by the mouth and nose and cause serious disease." Marcus Varro.

A new fact for me!

Thank you Gorman. I think this shou8ld put to rest the idea that you are somehiow igniorant of history!

Harte
edit on 5/2/2012 by Harte because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/2/2012 by Harte because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   
What do you think about this new one? a true OOPArt, or maybe some one let that there some years ago?

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Archaeologists are stumped after finding a 100-year-old Swiss watch in an ancient tomb that was sealed more than 400 years ago.
They believed they were the first to visit the Ming dynasty grave in Shangsi, southern China, since its occupant's funeral.
But inside they uncovered a miniature watch in the shape of a ring marked 'Swiss' that is thought to be just a century old.
The mysterious timepiece was encrusted in mud and rock and had stopped at 10:06 am.

Watches were not around at the time of the Ming Dynasty and Switzerland did not even exist as a country, an expert pointed out.

The archaeologists were filming a documentary with two journalists when they made the puzzling discovery.

'When we tried to remove the soil wrapped around the coffin, suddenly a piece of rock dropped off and hit the ground with metallic sound,' said Jiang Yanyu, former curator of the Guangxi Museum.

'We picked up the object, and found it was a ring.

'After removing the covering soil and examining it further, we were shocked to see it was a watch,' he added.

The Ming Dynasty - or the Empire of the Great Ming - was the was ruling dynasty in China from 1368 to 1644.

Read more: www.disclose.tv...

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by zorbarPT

.....so this old story comes back again

The key phrase is:

They believed they were the first to visit the Ming dynasty grave in Shangsi, southern China, since its occupant's funeral.

The magic word is 'believed', it is a lot easier to believe that the watch was put there during an earlier incursion or that the watch is older than 100 years - the swiss watch industry began in early to mid 16th century. The Confederation of Helvetia (the real name of what we call Switzerland) began in the mid 16th century and their was earlier confederation before that.....

Amusing nonetheless

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I find it so odd that the Sumerians ,Babylonians, Greeks, and Romans built there structures on top of these big huge megalithic structures. It is almost as if they found them many years after great destruction occurred on Earth. I love David Flynns book Cydonia, the Secret Chronicles of Mars. He explains and proves that these megalithic structures were there long before our age began, possibly there during the days of Noah. I have also heard stories of how the pyramids were found and not built by the Egyptians or any of their predecessors. This theory in my opinion explains everything. We are on a time clock of sorts. This is really my favorite subject because I think it explains the Bible and the coming destruction very thoroughly. There are time gaps and in these gaps there is something that is lost almost like we degenerate. Now im not sure what we lose but if seems like it could be spirtuality or the understanding of all things. Very interesting thread and I hope people are still talking about these things.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 09:49 PM
link   

edit on 1-1-2018 by TiggyTiger because: Posted it in wrong place.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 09:57 PM
link   
a reply to: havok

The objects in the original post were all debunked ages ago. I checked each one out except the large Roman stone. There are explanations for all of them and it didn't take me long to find them by googling the artefacts. Very disappointing.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: TiggyTiger

Resurrecting the thread?

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: TiggyTiger
a reply to: havok

The objects in the original post were all debunked ages ago. I checked each one out except the large Roman stone. There are explanations for all of them and it didn't take me long to find them by googling the artefacts. Very disappointing.

There's a long thread about that stone right here at ATS.
Romans used capstans to place it.

Harte

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 08:05 AM
link   
This type of thread is what keeps me returning to ats after showering off the filth of the mudpit! Excellent read, with many interesting things I had no idea about. Thank you for making my morning more interesting!

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join