It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The UFO forum is becoming fail

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Brainiac

Ah, yes, the attack of the debunkers. Actually, I like the term "Zombies" better, but, heck, it has been applied to another life form in these forums.

BTW: Didn't you hear the buzzer?

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
The UFO forum will still be here when 'fail' joins the archive of historical terms like fab, trendy, shizzle, dope, fresh, street, wicked and punk

[edit on 10-6-2010 by Kandinsky]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by triplesod
I've heard about this "umbrella" thread. I'd be interested in reading it. Could someone please link me to it?

Thank you.

Here you go!

You're welcome.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Radiobuzz

i do not share my experiences for the same reason. because i have no videos, photographic proof, or physical evidence i must be a liar or misguided and desperately seeking attention/approval. and since i don't have a masters, i must be mistaken and uneducated about the nature of the phenomena. as an eye-witness, my experiences are worthless to the ufo community, anecdotal at best. yet in a court of law an equally fallible eyewitness testimony can send someone to prison.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

My apologies neformore, I thought it was Interepid who created that thread, will explain why I couldn't find it!

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Easiest Star & Flag I've ever given, and I give very few (mostly due to reasons mentioned in the OP's post).

The particular section that got to me was the one talking about believers ignoring any evidence to the contrary and continuing the discussion as if no one had offered any evidence to counter it. I see this in so many threads here on ATS, and it's the number one thing that keeps me from participating in any discussion. The worst is when an old story is brought up that has been proven to be a hoax. Believers discuss it as if it's a life-changing event. Then, someone comes along and posts a link to the thread/site/etc. proving that it's a hoax, but that person is almost always completely ignored.

It's the confirmation bias...the tendency for people to look for evidence that supports their views and ignore all evidence that encounters it. Unfortunately, it seems to be hardwired into us (serving the basic social need to be "right"), but that doesn't make it any less bothersome.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   

I think you have summed up the frustrations of ufology for a lot of us. Here is a link to a blog by Chris Rutkowski:

uforum.blogspot.com...

There are so many great cases that get ignored by the debunkers, and yet they find all of the absurd ones out there.

I also remember seeing a YouTube video posted here that had two teenage boys looking at a green light while there was lightning going on. After watching it I released the boys were using a green laser pen and pointing it at the window. Their biggest mistake was the brightness of the lightning gave them away. Even after making such a statement, I was told it could not possibly be a hoax, etc.

Every so often a really good thread comes up, and some here research an older relatively unknown case with some good information. It is also refreshing to see that we have good members like Radiobuzz who gives us hope here.

Thank you for this thread, and I agree with it 100%.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   

I don't know about the validity of the ATS UFO community. However, I have see a ufo disappear right before my eyes so...

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   

I agree with what you say and I am glad you are criticising both the debunkers and the believers.

Perhaps too many people want to be served UFO footage on a plate. May be if more people went out there and watched the skies , there would not be this bickering and unnecessary arguing.

Anyone who has captured something exciting and posted it on the internet has suffered somekind of anti-climax when served with a volley of disbelief and abuse (especially on Youtube). There is nowhere to share anything anymore.

I now keep my own footage to myself and only share them with close friends. It is the only way. Such a footage, which is discussed only by those who were there , has far more value than one that is thrown to the masses and get deciminated. Similarly those shared with organisations that actually go out to observe the sky get a better reception.

[edit on 10-6-2010 by crowdedskies]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightFantastic

Originally posted by tyranny22
You mean "becoming a failure"? Because "becoming fail" means nothing except to today's illiterate "txting" OMG-LOL-ROFLMAO-kids of the internet.

... we all need to understand that there is no 'proper' English.

The English language is continually changing - it embraces new words and gives older words new meanings.
[edit on 10/6/2010 by LightFantastic]

There is such a thing as proper English. As there is proper Russian or Japanese.

I don't disagree with the language changing and improving. However, "pwn" is a misspelling of "own". "LOL" is shorthand for "laugh out loud". "G2G" is txt for "I have to go". "Fail" is often used improperly to let someone know they didn't achieve something. None of these uses improve the English language. If anything, it opens the door for future generations to "English Fail". Whereas there will be no more their, there, or they're. No more two, to or too. Most people don't know the difference between excess and access.

Like I said, there's nothing wrong with expanding the language. "Blogs" didn't exist until a few years ago. Neither did the "Internet". I don't see anything wrong with "friending" someone or "spamming" their page. Those are all words that were introduced to the English language out of necessity. There is nothing necessary about "OMG, WTFs ^ w/yo cheezburger?!" Most of which has become common usage over the last 10 years.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   

The reason it fails is because there is not much to discuss about UFO evidences. Either you believe it or you don't. The only difference is that the one who believes UFOs did a little bit more research than the one who doesn't. The critical thinking is another one. I think the topic itself is extremely boring.

The more interesting question regarding UFO would be what do they want and what is their agenda, what is their technology etc etc.

Fake UFO evidence? What difference does it make? Even if some may make fakery, it will never prove the entire UFO reports are all fakes. I don't see the point of arguing about the obvious fake evidence of the UFO as if it can make any dent on the validity of the whole phenomenon.

It is like the same thing with the crop circles. There may be some fakes. But if you believe that those of the most complex and large crop circles were made by some humans overnight, you must be out of your mind. The complexity of the some of the geometry is beyond the comprehensin of any human beings.

Not to mention the microwave heated like stems of the bent plants, not mechanically broken.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Brainiac

You said the previous statement...

I say, WE BUILD FLYING TRIANGLES on this planet... What's the more logical conclusion that you are seeing an Alien flying some Space ship from who knows where, or your seeing humans flying something that we have built and put up in the air...

If you are a fantasy buff, then of course IT'S E.T. !

If you are fairly grounded in reality, then you'd speculate that this is something made on Earth...

I'm afraid Occam's Razor is a double edged razor.. and like all things, all relative to an individual person's mindset.

To the skeptic, the most obvious answer is that flying triangles are human made. However if this skeptic had researched aerodynamics and physics and how technology has advanced through the 20th century, they'd realize how ridiculous it is.... because such a craft would operate on an unknown principal that has evaded the brightest of human minds in recent history.

Furthermore, if we accept that reality is how we perceive it (which is how most scientists operate and apply for grants/jobs), then we can easily answer Fermi's paradox-- The UFO phenomenon is a Type III-IV civilization. Science tells us that our universe is 13.7 billion years old so there was obviously plenty of time for other creatures to get a 'head start' on us.

Every scientist, including UFO hardline skeptic Seth Shostak would agree to that.

"What does it mean for a civilization to be a million years old? We have had radio telescopes and spaceships for a few decades; our technical civilization is a few hundred years old ... an advanced civilization millions of years old is as much beyond us as we are beyond a bushbaby or a macaque."

-Carl Sagan

That answers Fermi's paradox and the UFO problem without inventing some ridiculous science that: 1) has evaded Einstein, Planck, Heisenberg, Witten, Maxwell, Bohr, Pauling, Born, Dirac and all the other amazing minds that have contributed to our understanding of anything. 2) doesn't fit our chronological technological development of the 20th century.

-SJ76

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
What can I say that has already not been said. Great thread OP!

I enthusiastically started posting here a few months ago, in the hope that I would find some epic evidence of UFO's that I hadn't seen before.

Unfortunately, everything I had already researched over the last few years was already covered with the same results I had already heard.

Daily, I hoped for some new credible evidence but sadly, every single video/photo posted got debunked.

I am not saying all the photo's/video's posted were fake, hoaxed or just debunked through misunderstanding. I just think there is an imbalance in the force (sorry for the lazy explanation).

I think as awareness grows about this subject we are inevitably getting more novice members that will post crap footage either on purpose or naively believing they really have something.

I have done it a couple of times!!!

I wish I had a solution for this but this is the internet afterall. Anyone can come here and untill they do something majorly wrong we have to respect all views. I wouldn't want it any other way but sometimes I wish more people would be more honest.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
The UFO forum is not "Becoming Fail" - although it appears the use of the English language in its correct form is

I suggest you read this...

Be the change you wish to see

In other words - if you don't like what you see, make it better instead of complaining about it.

Bravo! Why make a statement when you have said it so well.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jimmy Jingles

Originally posted by triplesod
I've heard about this "umbrella" thread. I'd be interested in reading it. Could someone please link me to it?

Thank you.

Here you go!

You're welcome.

Nice one!

You're a star! Cheers!

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Hi

Im not good at posting and not good at science either but I watch a lot of documentaries and most people are afraid to post now.

Its up to the private sector now,,sometimes I would like to wake up and see the news channels flooded.

But the news channels would change the story every 5 minutes on the truth/facts/whats happening..

Look at murder cases and hollywood.

I myself would prefer to watch it on TV than first hand.(dont get mad at me)

I do think the "bubbles gonna burst" soon.

Im not a scientist nor work at area 51 and the govt will leave disclosure to the public.

They have some very adnavced craft that is years ahaed of what we have now I think.
But to think they figured it out a few years ago and just worked out a few of the bugs on the high advaned craft is crazy cause they they have some serious fast stuff..

I bet they been to the moon a few times as well,,not land on it but observed it.

They also throw a mach 6 plane at us to think "hey,wow",

I also think there is free energy but if one crosses the wires wrong boom!

I will try and search google and add what I find but most here beat me to the punch.
K

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Radiobuzz.....

I think Lee anoma summed up many UFO forum threads very well.....

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
As much as i love the idea of alien life, and how excited i would be to see a ufo or meet an alien, its sad to say that there are so many people who will look up at the sky, and see a bird and thing OMG ITS A UFO

yea buddy ufos have wings and like to pretend to be a FRIGGING BIRD!!!
Some are just gulible, others, look so hard into something, wishing to see it, and eventaully they will make themsevles believe it is a ufo.

Like look at it from the aliens point of view...why come to a small back water planet to abduct a lolely human?
think of it this way, would you take an ant from its home? and offer it a car and our technogoly? of course not, its a puny ant, we are puny humans.

Even if there are aliens studing us, i doubt they have any real interset...perhaps they have done everything there is to do and are full of bordom lol

but seriously, try to figure something out before you jumpto conclusions, makes you look like a dumbass

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Bad Ninja

It may be a discussion forum, but how you discuss hints at how thoughtful or intelligent you are as a poster. For example, with your inability to use basic English, I pretty much assume your opinions are not worth reading.

As for English not being everyone's native tongue, then maybe you can be considerate and use proper English instead of forcing such people to decipher idiot slang and Internet jargon.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join